Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So did anyone else think Uhrlich's plan in the Peter Gregory meeting was a serious misstep? It seems like he was suggesting they run compression servers for the public to use. It seems like technology like that would be better off marketed purely to corporations -- position it to replace mp3/mp4s, or sell it to the major ISPs to double or triple the effective bandwidth of their existing networks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Phenotype posted:

So did anyone else think Uhrlich's plan in the Peter Gregory meeting was a serious misstep? It seems like he was suggesting they run compression servers for the public to use. It seems like technology like that would be better off marketed purely to corporations -- position it to replace mp3/mp4s, or sell it to the major ISPs to double or triple the effective bandwidth of their existing networks.

That was actually what was also mentioned in the first episode, when the Hooli people caught wind of his algorithm. Maybe Erlich and Richard want to launch a Dropbox competitor, or they were pitching how it could benefit the users of their clients.

72o
Dec 14, 2007

This show is good. That is all I have to say at this time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rexides posted:

That was actually what was also mentioned in the first episode, when the Hooli people caught wind of his algorithm. Maybe Erlich and Richard want to launch a Dropbox competitor, or they were pitching how it could benefit the users of their clients.

Well that was mostly just bullshit to make Peter think they know what the gently caress they're doing. Not that vision isn't important. The biggest problem I think was letting him spreak at all and then letting him back on the board of directors.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Well that was mostly just bullshit to make Peter think they know what the gently caress they're doing. Not that vision isn't important. The biggest problem I think was letting him spreak at all and then letting him back on the board of directors.

Erlich is a more interesting character than the main guy (can't even remember his name) so I hope he pulls the whole Steve Jobs and edges him out Woz style.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

mobby_6kl posted:

Everything Erlich said was pretty much what Richard had in mind for Pied Piper's real world application. Richard even said something to the effect of "that's exactly what I was thinking, but clearer" after their meeting was over. Erlich may seem like the dumb/aloof type that comes off as pretentious and douchey, but I think as the season pans out, we'll find out that he's like the perfect type of guy to market all the crazy tech jargon in a way that makes it sound super exciting.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah the whole point of that episode was to establish why Erlich being on the board will pay off...

Erlich is the man.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

thathonkey posted:

Yeah the whole point of that episode was to establish why Erlich being on the board will pay off...

Erlich is the man.

For real. I also legit chuckled at "mine as well call it drip box".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Another thing that did is establish that Richard is actually capable of making good decisions if he lets go and relaxes a bit. In this case, it took him getting drunk off his rear end. But it shows that if he isn't freaking out all the time, he can trust his gut for the right direction.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Another thing that did is establish that Richard is actually capable of making good decisions if he lets go and relaxes a bit. In this case, it took him getting drunk off his rear end.

I really don't think getting black out drunk proves this at all.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The Dave posted:

I really don't think getting black out drunk proves this at all.

And that's why you aren't a tech start up millionaire.

ilikeike222
Nov 1, 2013
Im fixated on Erlichs shave job.... weird.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ilikeike222 posted:

Im fixated on Erlichs shave job.... weird.

The reverse walrus-stach...a bold choice.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

This is getting Too Real for me...

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

The way this episode ended is why I watch this show.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I thought this episode was definitely up there with ep 3 for best of the show so far. The mural and the whole hologram segment were both hysterical.

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal
Please tell me there's an image of that mural up on the internet. It was a thing of beauty.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Every scene with Peter Gregory is making the death of Christopher Evan Welch harder to take. Wiki says he only filmed five eps?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Brock Samson posted:

This is getting Too Real for me...

SCRUMMMMMMM :argh:

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Sad story that he died, but I won't miss the Gregory character much. Monica can go work for Gavin or Richard and it'll be like nothing changed.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
Gregory will be missed for sure but I think this episode was the one where he had the least screentime and it was the best one yet. This show really has gotten better every episode.

I can't decide whether Erlich is the dumbest or smartest guy in the company. That's probably the point of his character, mind you.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIn3M72rfdA

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I was expecting the show to make a joke about the paypal logo when Jared first drew it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
That episode was great. loving SCRUM

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The hell is scrum anyways

zoux posted:

Every scene with Peter Gregory is making the death of Christopher Evan Welch harder to take. Wiki says he only filmed five eps?

The episode you just saw was his last one

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Occupation posted:

The hell is scrum anyways

It is a software development methodology (part of Agile process? Who cares) that is really trendy right now. You can read about it on wiki if you really want to know more but it isnt critical to your understanding of the show or to get any of the jokes.

Fwiw i think they did a pretty good job portraying it on the show

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Occupation posted:

The episode you just saw was his last one

That stinks, he is my favorite character.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I forgot that I missed last week's episode, so I watched it this morning after catching episode 5 live. Peter Gregory's entrance to the toga party is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

"Thank you, Florida. Welcome to the fourth annual Orgy of Caring. The previous three were...fine."

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

Space Pussy posted:

Sad story that he died, but I won't miss the Gregory character much. Monica can go work for Gavin or Richard and it'll be like nothing changed.

Actually, do you think Monica might take over as CEO and end up as replacement consultant? It sort of seems like they're setting that up with the recent reveal that Peter Gregory doesn't give a rats rear end about Pied Piper and that Monica actually put 10% of her salary into the VC funding.

Also, YES CORPORATE JOKES.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
It seemed weird that Danesh, Gilfoyle, and Richards were all working for a few years in a "young, hip" tech company but had supposedly never heard of SCRUM.

But that "lowercase letters" logo poo poo was spot-on.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

DrBouvenstein posted:

It seemed weird that Danesh, Gilfoyle, and Richards were all working for a few years in a "young, hip" tech company but had supposedly never heard of SCRUM.

But that "lowercase letters" logo poo poo was spot-on.

Only because I work in a Scrum environment, but its actually not an acronym. Its just Scrum (like in Rugby).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shadowhand00 posted:

Only because I work in a Scrum environment, but its actually not an acronym. Its just Scrum (like in Rugby).

Do they seriously refer to tasks as "stories"?

Also, I didn't know this, but Mike Judge worked as a programmer in Silicon Valley straight out of college in the eighties.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

zoux posted:

quote:

A user story is simply something a user wants. User stories are more than just text written on an index card but for our purposes here, just think of user story as a bit of text saying something like, “Paginate the monthly sales report” or, “Change tax calculations on invoices.” Many teams have learned the benefits of writing user stories in the form of: “As a <type of user> I <want/can/am able to/need to/etc.> so that <some reason>.” But it is not necessary that a user story be written that way. Check out the advantages of that user story format.

A Scrum epic is a large user story. There's no magic threshold at which we call a particular story an epic. It just means “big user story.” I like to think of this in relation to movies. If I tell you a particular movie was an “action-adventure movie” that tells you something about the movie. There's probably some car chases, probably some shooting, and so on. It tells you this even though there is no universal definition that we've agreed to follow, and that an action-adventure movie must contain at least three car chases, at least 45 bullets must be shot, and ….

So, “epic” is just a label we apply to a large story. Calling a story an epic can sometimes convey additional meaning. Suppose you ask me if I had time yesterday to write the user stories about the monthly reporting part of the system. “Yes,” I reply, “but they are mostly epics.” That tells you that while I did write them, I didn't get the chance to break most of them down into stories that are probably small enough to implement directly.

Finally, “theme” is a collection of user stories. We could put a rubber band around that group of stories I wrote about monthly reporting and we'd call that a “theme.” Sometimes it's helpful to think about a group of stories so we have a term for that. Sticking with the movie analogy above, in my DVD rack I have filed the James Bond movies together. They are a theme or grouping.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

zoux posted:

Also, I didn't know this, but Mike Judge worked as a programmer in Silicon Valley straight out of college in the eighties.

Office Space was written by someone who spent time in the trenches.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah "user stories" is pretty common jargon in the product management / usability worlds.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah he had short stint with a startup before getting fed up with the culture especially the sacrifice everything for the company attitude.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thanks for making me irl mad.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Also, keep in mind that it's mostly just a nebulous buzzwords to make companies sound more progressive and cutting-edge and as such there's no real hard definition. I've worked at some companies where "scrum" literally meant the same thing as "let's have a meeting".

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That doesn't mean scrum's a buzzword as much as it means that company implemented it poorly.

We recently went agile and while it's buzzwordy to say that it's a real workflow and really helped organize what was a bit of a chaotic product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
So was the fact that the 3d conference call part of the show (where there were buffering issues) a part of what pp will fix? Lossless streaming and all that fun stuff that's the point of the whole algorithm/this series...

• Locked thread