Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mackieman posted:

Indeed, that is the cardinal rule with AA given the pisspoor nature of their ops and customer service these days: HUACA. Hang up and call again.

Might as well fix it for others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Okay,

Called United and they said they wanted $400 for refunding two one way tickets to Europe on reward miles (worth 60K miles). $400?! $800 dollars total if I refunded hers too (fat chance). Really?

My bitch wife is going to really be pissed when she finds out that her part of the other one ways are going to be more expensive because refunded taxes ($55) going there were cheaper than the taxes I paid ($225). Bitch. Gentlemen, this is what happens when you spoil your spouse, year in and year out by taking them on fancy trips to Europe.

Okay, rant over. I just wanted you guys to know that $400 for refunding award miles is ridiculous.

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 26, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

This is an extremely broad request, I'm not even sure how to start looking.

I'm trying to buy two round trip tickets from DC (IAD or BWI works) to somewhere in Spain for about 2 weeks any time between late May and August as cheaply as possible without dealing with layover hell (a stop for a few hours is fine, traveling halfway around the world in a different direction and back while sleeping in an airport not so much).

Ideally, I'd like to leave on a Saturday and come back two Sundays later, but I have a little bit of play with that in either direction if it significantly affects the fare.

As far as actual destination, I'm pretty flexible. Barcelona stands out, but I could just as easily start the trip in Malaga, Seville, Valencia, or even as far north as Madrid. Flying into and out of the same city is probably going to be cheaper, but two different cities would be preferable.

I started looking in Barcelona, and tickets seem to start at around $1000 involving an overnight layover in Moscow (:psyduck:). I get the impression that having this sort of flexibility should allow me to find some deals, but I have no idea how to broaden my search with these criteria? Any thoughts?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is an extremely broad request, I'm not even sure how to start looking.

I'm trying to buy two round trip tickets from DC (IAD or BWI works) to somewhere in Spain for about 2 weeks any time between late May and August as cheaply as possible without dealing with layover hell (a stop for a few hours is fine, traveling halfway around the world in a different direction and back while sleeping in an airport not so much).

Ideally, I'd like to leave on a Saturday and come back two Sundays later, but I have a little bit of play with that in either direction if it significantly affects the fare.

As far as actual destination, I'm pretty flexible. Barcelona stands out, but I could just as easily start the trip in Malaga, Seville, Valencia, or even as far north as Madrid. Flying into and out of the same city is probably going to be cheaper, but two different cities would be preferable.

I started looking in Barcelona, and tickets seem to start at around $1000 involving an overnight layover in Moscow (:psyduck:). I get the impression that having this sort of flexibility should allow me to find some deals, but I have no idea how to broaden my search with these criteria? Any thoughts?

You're going down the right path for the most part. $1000 for coach to Europe during the summer (peak season) is a decent deal these days. I see $1066 out of NYC, no visits to Russia required.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Europe in summer is 'spensive.

If you're staying that long, why limit yourself to mid/southern Spanish airports? Why not train in if you can find a deal?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

sellouts posted:

Europe in summer is 'spensive.

If you're staying that long, why limit yourself to mid/southern Spanish airports? Why not train in if you can find a deal?

Any suggestions on cities/countries where should I be looking? Madrid was the city I thought might offer a better price while still being a reasonable train ride away, and even that adds 3 or so hours and $150 to the trip.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
France has a fair number of routes into Spain I think.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Any suggestions on cities/countries where should I be looking? Madrid was the city I thought might offer a better price while still being a reasonable train ride away, and even that adds 3 or so hours and $150 to the trip.

Simply put: No. I only suggest it as maybe a way to explore another area on the same trip as a way to justify how expensive the ticket is.

If there was a "cheapest place into Europe" everyone would do that because Europe in the summer is very expensive.

You gotta put in the leg work to uncover a deal (if any exists) and jump on it, because others are doing it well and they won't last long.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Hi all.

At the end of July (anywhere from the 17th to the 31st - doesn't matter) I need to return from my semester abroad: I'll be flying from Frankfurt Int'l to Chicago O'Hare. (Can also do Milwaukee, but I'm assuming Chicago's gonna be infinitely easier.)

I managed to get a good deal getting here: $400 for economy on SAS Scandinavian with a 1.5 hour layover in Stockholm. That was through STA Travel. The fact that it was a weekday in the middle of February probably helped secure the low price.

Everything I'm seeing on the STA Travel site requires something ridiculous like a 36 hour layover in Warsaw or Dublin. And those still cost around $1000 (this is one-way, remember). At that point I'll just want to get the gently caress home. I'm not against having one layover but I'm vehemently opposed to spending the night somewhere.

If anybody can point me in the right direction, I'd be really grateful! This whole process is stressing me out, and I know it's best to have a flight booked sooner rather than later.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

queertea posted:

Hi all.

At the end of July (anywhere from the 17th to the 31st - doesn't matter) I need to return from my semester abroad: I'll be flying from Frankfurt Int'l to Chicago O'Hare. (Can also do Milwaukee, but I'm assuming Chicago's gonna be infinitely easier.)

I managed to get a good deal getting here: $400 for economy on SAS Scandinavian with a 1.5 hour layover in Stockholm. That was through STA Travel. The fact that it was a weekday in the middle of February probably helped secure the low price.

Everything I'm seeing on the STA Travel site requires something ridiculous like a 36 hour layover in Warsaw or Dublin. And those still cost around $1000 (this is one-way, remember). At that point I'll just want to get the gently caress home. I'm not against having one layover but I'm vehemently opposed to spending the night somewhere.

If anybody can point me in the right direction, I'd be really grateful! This whole process is stressing me out, and I know it's best to have a flight booked sooner rather than later.

Mess around with Matrix Search, http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

About a thousand buck sounds about right. It's Europe in summer. Looks like it doesn't get much shorter than 12 hours though.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

queertea posted:

Hi all.

That one-way fare is going to kill you. Aer Lingus is the cheapest I see at $1001USD on July 23, FRA-DUB-ORD, four hour layover in DUB. Buy a lounge pass and have a Guinness. Alternatively, grab a cab and go to The Hairy Lemon and get some Dublin Coddle and a pint, and then cab it back. The cab will be about 30EUR each way, but the Dublin Coddle is not something to be missed.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I have a question about layover times. I'm looking at taking a trip in early July from MSP to HEL, and almost all of the routes have layovers in ORD or IAD coming in and out. I'm wondering what the shortest layover times you'd think are doable for domestic to international and vice versa in these airports. One ticket would have me at 49 minutes at ORD, which doesn't seem remotely do-able, and another has a 75 min in IAD, which seems a little better, but I don't travel often enough to really know. Should I be looking for at least 2 hours? An hour and a half? Two and a half?

E: These would be round trip tickets, all either with just Lufthansa or Lufthansa+United(Lufthansa marketed)

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 8, 2014

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I have a question about layover times. I'm looking at taking a trip in early July from MSP to HEL, and almost all of the routes have layovers in ORD or IAD coming in and out. I'm wondering what the shortest layover times you'd think are doable for domestic to international and vice versa in these airports. One ticket would have me at 49 minutes at ORD, which doesn't seem remotely do-able, and another has a 75 min in IAD, which seems a little better, but I don't travel often enough to really know. Should I be looking for at least 2 hours? An hour and a half? Two and a half?

E: These would be round trip tickets, all either with just Lufthansa or Lufthansa+United(Lufthansa marketed)

So, firstly, if you're leaving MSP and transiting either ORD or IAD, the flights are not just Lufthansa. They are United flights that have a codeshare with Lufthansa. The overwater segments may be either carrier; depends on the flight numbering and aircraft configuration.

Secondly, 49 minutes is generally plenty of time to connect in either location, but I think it's a bit short for ORD in your specific case because you'll be coming off a regional jet from MSP and those flights are the first to get delayed in the event of lovely weather (summer thunderstorms/wind in ORD). 75 minutes in IAD is far and away enough time, even if you are on United into IAD and out on the Lufthansa 747-8 which leaves out of a different terminal.

On the upside, assuming you're going to FRA or MUC, both carriers have enough lift to get you there if something goes tits up. You could even do the late flight to LHR and then pick up a short Lufty segment from there.

Coming back into the US, I wouldn't go less than an hour and a half, preferably two unless you have Global Entry.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Mackieman posted:

So, firstly, if you're leaving MSP and transiting either ORD or IAD, the flights are not just Lufthansa. They are United flights that have a codeshare with Lufthansa. The overwater segments may be either carrier; depends on the flight numbering and aircraft configuration.

Secondly, 49 minutes is generally plenty of time to connect in either location, but I think it's a bit short for ORD in your specific case because you'll be coming off a regional jet from MSP and those flights are the first to get delayed in the event of lovely weather (summer thunderstorms/wind in ORD). 75 minutes in IAD is far and away enough time, even if you are on United into IAD and out on the Lufthansa 747-8 which leaves out of a different terminal.

On the upside, assuming you're going to FRA or MUC, both carriers have enough lift to get you there if something goes tits up. You could even do the late flight to LHR and then pick up a short Lufty segment from there.

Coming back into the US, I wouldn't go less than an hour and a half, preferably two unless you have Global Entry.

Thanks! The one I'm looking at is indeed going into MUC. Though on the return, it would have me flying HEL->MUC->YYZ->MSP, which makes me wonder if I'd be going through customs hassles twice. Still, I'd have 2 hrs 5 min in YYZ and time won't matter once I hit MSP, so it should theoretically be fine.

On a side note, Toronto being YYZ is pretty funny.

E: looks like I could avoid Cananda if I want, and have 1 hr 45 min in IAD instead. Would that be better?

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 8, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If you fly through Canada on your way to the US, I think you have to go through Canadian customs. You have to go through US customs in Toronto, and I don't think you can do that without going through the post-Canadian customs zone.

Personally, any layover involving customs should be at least three hours if you don't have Nexus / Global Entry, but I've been told I'm overly cautious.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm looking for a return ticket from Copenhagen to Ottawa, departing sept. 12th and returning sept 21st (the exact days don't matter, apart from a wedding on the 20th). Would changing airports make a difference? Arriving at Toronto or Montreal is doable, as is bussing to Berlin.

The best I've found so far through Skyscanner is 612 euros with KLM.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm looking for a return ticket from Copenhagen to Ottawa, departing sept. 12th and returning sept 21st (the exact days don't matter, apart from a wedding on the 20th). Would changing airports make a difference? Arriving at Toronto or Montreal is doable, as is bussing to Berlin.

The best I've found so far through Skyscanner is 612 euros with KLM.

612 euros is drat cheap, jump on that asap. The cheapest I'm seeing is 701 euros and you have to backtrack to HEL and change planes, heading for YYZ. I only 612 euros if you start in ARN and go to YYZ with a plane change in KEF.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Keep in mind that if you're flying someone who code shares with Air Canada or West Jet, it might be cheaper to book all the way to YOW than to arrange your own transportation. There's YYZ - YOW flights every hours on Air Canada on weekdays, WJ is similar.

Do not do an airport change YYZ - YTZ.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks for the confirmation, I just booked the ticket this morning after having somebody in Canada check if they could find better there. It is actually a flight with 2-hour (roughly) stopovers in both AMS and YYZ, which as FrozenVent mentioned, will probably be cheaper (and faster) than getting an additional bus or train ticket from Toronto.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Plus you'll save the four hour bus or train ride, and the hour and a half it takes to get ground transportation at YYZ. I loving hate YYZ for anything that isn't "Get there on a plane and leave on another plane".

Two hours stop overs are good, you don't want to be too tight and miss your next flight. The good part is that if your YYZ - YOW is operated by Air Canada, there's one every hour between like 6:00 and 22:00 on weekdays, they'll just bump you to the next one if you don't make the transfer.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, YYZ to literally anywhere outside the airport is a total and complete nightmare.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
Deal's dead, removed the text.

fuseshock fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 24, 2014

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
I'm looking for 2 one-way tickets from Korea (any airport works fine, whether ICN/GMP or PUS or something else) to Los Angeles (again, anything in the area is good), leaving within a few days of August 21 (the earlier the better). Aside from Air China through Beijing, are there any other places where we might be able to get a cheap stopover? Also, I'm seeing a good price for that Air China deal, but it gets in at 2 and leaves the next day at 2. I can't seem to find an option on their website to take a flight out two days later. How would I go about trying to get a price for that? Thanks!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Did you look into flights going the other way?

grinning cheshire
Oct 4, 2007
we're all mad here
Travel for August 2015, too far out?

Destination, Amsterdam
Starting, Honolulu HNL
Duration 7-10 days
Plan to flesh out: Arrive in Amsterdam around the 17th of August. Spend ~7-10 days total.

Is it better to fly somewhere else and take a train?
Matrix is telling me my dates are too far away.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

grinning cheshire posted:

Travel for August 2015, too far out?

Destination, Amsterdam
Starting, Honolulu HNL
Duration 7-10 days
Plan to flesh out: Arrive in Amsterdam around the 17th of August. Spend ~7-10 days total.

Is it better to fly somewhere else and take a train?
Matrix is telling me my dates are too far away.

You generally have to wait 335 days for most airlines (365 for some), you're a bit too far out.

HNL -> EWR/JFK/anywhere else on the east coast -> AMS is really doable, I'd fly straight there.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Did you look into flights going the other way?

I hadn't, actually. Now that I did, there are some good deals. We just need to consider whether Europe is too expensive for us to spend a couple days in. I keep waffling over whether we should just head straight to LA or not. Thanks for the idea, though!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you want cheap airfare you don't book 335 days out.

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.
I booked a flight using some of the tips from here on 5/2/14 through Spirit. It was a trip for two from MSP to PDX on July 5th, and back on the 14th, with a rental car through Hertz. Paid through Paypal because my bank is awful about high dollar amount transactions. I have to cancel the trip because of some extenuating circumstances. Do I stand any chance at getting my money back? Any tips on getting the majority of it back? I'd rather get a refund than miles or other credits.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kind Milkman posted:

I booked a flight using some of the tips from here on 5/2/14 through Spirit. It was a trip for two from MSP to PDX on July 5th, and back on the 14th, with a rental car through Hertz. Paid through Paypal because my bank is awful about high dollar amount transactions. I have to cancel the trip because of some extenuating circumstances. Do I stand any chance at getting my money back? Any tips on getting the majority of it back? I'd rather get a refund than miles or other credits.

Totally depends on the fare you booked, if you booked the cheapest possible flights then probably not. I don't know about Spirit airlines, they may not offer any refundable fare buckets anyway.

This is why it's always a good idea to book your tickets with a credit card that has cancellation insurance, or to buy cancellation insurance separately.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

HookShot posted:

This is why it's always a good idea to book your tickets with a credit card that has cancellation insurance, or to buy cancellation insurance separately.

Seriously. No joke. Always book everything travel-related with a credit card with travel insurance.

My old no-fee credit card had three days of travel coverage on it. I used it to rent a car. A co-worker totaled the car. $13k. Insurance took care of it, it doesn't even show up on my driving record. Always use loving travel insurance.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
So I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on my flight to Europe for this fall. I'll be flying:

IAH -> KEF first, sometime around August 11th or 12th, maybe a bit later that week. Then:

KEF -> EDI after spending 5 or so days in Reykjavik, then from there I'll proceed to London either by plane or ground transport.

Most of the flights I see route through YYZ and YHZ or YEG for about $750.

Should I be worried about getting one-way tickets? I've never been out of country before, so I don't know the rules here. I plan on flying back to the States from Istanbul mid-December, but I don't want to buy a return ticket yet because my plans/end point could change mid-trip, as I'll be travelling for around 4 months across Europe.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Generally, if you're entering a foreign country that isn't, say, the US if you're Canadian or another EU member if you're from a EU country, they'll want you to show you have either a departure tickets or the means to acquire one, or something to drag you back home. They want to make sure you'll leave.

Check the website of the embassies of the countries you'll be visiting, as well as the State Department; you should be able to find out if anyone's liable to bounce you because you don't have a flight back. It's not a common thing, but it's something to keep in mind.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kind Milkman posted:

Paid through Paypal because my bank is awful about high dollar amount transactions. I have to cancel the trip because of some extenuating circumstances. Do I stand any chance at getting my money back?

Given how vague you were here I don't think you have a chance in hell with Spirit but call them. No one knows the details except you. But everyone has an excuse.

More importantly, you should head over to BFC and read up. I've never heard of a bank not being ok with purchasing a domestic economy fare ticket. It's your money. You shouldn't have to use PayPal as it removes your protections as a consumer and is generally a terrible idea. The fine posters there can help you find a new bank or get a credit card you can use and avoid this situation in the future. Just sayin.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

A tiny bit of a tangent, but I don't see a more applicable thread.

Related to my post a while back: I'm flying through Dubai and having flown through there a couple of times, I know for a fact that, regardless of time of year, it tends to be packed and impossible to get seating/buy food/a drink/be somewhere relatively quiet.

I only have a three hour lay-over there, is it worth it to buy lounge access? Does anyone have experience with lounges there? I read some mixed reviews saying that the lounges are just as crowded and crappy.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I used a lounge last time through dxb. It was in the morning and it was a contract lounge. Food and drink spread were fine and it was relatively quiet.

Not sure if it would be worth my own money to pay for it but I've got good headphones and at that time there was room to sit. I would also eat before the airport, that food will be miles ahead of pay lounge options.

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just a word of warning, don't use Cheapoair if there's any chance you'll need to change your booking. We foolishly booked a flight through them as it was the cheapest on skyscanner or whatever we were using. Would probably have been fine... until you need to change anything. Just don't go through them, pay the $10 extra to go directly through the airline.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Discount sites will usually book you on the cheapest fare possible; that means you don't get points, but it also means you don't get to change your booking without paying out the rear end. This is usually pretty clearly spelled out in the booking information.

Air Canada for example essentially has three economy fares, Tango, Flex and Lattitude, in increasing order of flexibility. Changing a tango ticket is something hilarious like $200, a flex is like $79 or so.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
I'm about to lose my mind. I posted a few days ago about needing to get from Seoul to LA in August. We ended up deciding against a stopover in favor of just getting home.
Air China has the cheapest tickets, with both their Chinese and Korean sites showing under a grand per person. I can't get either of these sites to actually process my payment, though. The US site is charging over $1800 per person for the exact same flight. I don't know if their payment system would work any better. Can anybody think of an option here? I called the number they gave for the Korean call center, but it's not actually a correct number.

Edit: Turns out it's a collect number that won't work from my cell phone. I'm dumb (but they are, too).

erobadapazzi fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Have you tried a Korean travel agent? Print out the itinerary, say "Can you get me this or better" and see what happens.

I just changed an unchangeable flight (domestic) to one day later. $80 cancellation fee and a small fare increase. The reservation changed from a sold-out flight to an empty flight (row 3 lol) so the airline was happy to "try."