Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Warszawa posted:

For better or for worse, the leaderless format combined left traditional media with a problem in reporting the beliefs of OWS, because they were unable to figure out who could really represent the views of the protesters. They had the impression they gleaned from hearing a bunch of things thrown out there, but there was no apparent mechanism to filter whose interview would yield a reliable profile. The worst case scenario (and arguably the most likely one) is that they would have picked some random person and wound up effectively appointing them Occupier in Chief, which probably would have been fine for the movement overall if it had been someone whose core issues were bank deregulation and growing inequality or political corruption and an unresponsive system, but probably would have been pretty damaging if they picked Joe Chemtrail as the de facto spokesman.

It's entirely possible I have the wrong impression, it's been quite a few years since the whole thing went down.

That's probably a really good summation of the movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
edit: poo poo wrong thread

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

ColoradoCleric posted:

OWS had some big issues with capitalism being potentially undemocratic.

Every single thing OWS has touched has been a loving train wreck. If people want an OWS thread, they can start one. I'm not making an arguement against OWS, I'm arguing against this thread turning into an OWS thread.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 1, 2014

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

ColoradoCleric posted:

OWS had some big issues with capitalism being potentially undemocratic.

How so?

OWS was a bunch of people who shared a political position. They wanted other people to agree or vote accordingly. So they set up a demonstration and some outreach. Ultimately, they didn't shift an election.

This seems like democracy-in-action. These people are guaranteed a right to vote, and the chance to try and convince other people. But democracy doesn’t (and can't) guarantee a few thousand people the right to win elections.

Especially when those few-thousand are taking a position like, "The 90%+ people who vote for a mainstream party are wrong: All those guys are fundamentally wrong and should be removed."

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Mornacale posted:

Ah, okay, well in that case could you suggest something that Occupy would not have been vilified and assaulted for pursuing, if only they gave it as a single unified goal?
The Republicans are "vilified and assaulted" for their beliefs and goals.

The Democrats are similarly "vilified and assaulted" for their beliefs and goals.

Communists and Libertarians are also constantly "vilified and assaulted" for their beliefs and goals.

Liberals, Marxists and every political group in a country with any meaningful degree of freedom of the press and freedom of speech are constantly being are and will be "vilified and assaulted" for their beliefs and goals. And every single political group believes the media is out to get them.

Being are "vilified and assaulted" is a part of politics regardless of your political ideology. As long as you are in politics, you will be vilified and assaulted and you guys need to stop being pussies about it. The only circumstance when this isn't true is when you can shut down every newspaper which criticizes your political party and nobody wants that. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

quote:

It is impossible for the working class to attain power solely by operating within a system that was designed by the aristocracy in order to benefit the aristocracy. Also, pursuing a successful working class movement is not as simple as a majority of the country recognizing that they share a class interest, because it is also a non-trivial challenge to convince people that change is possible, to actually organize despite political pressure, and then to actually win victory in the face of violence. These two sentences are perfectly consistent and do not represent moving goalposts at all.
But see, there you go again with a weasel word. You don't have to work "solely" within the electoral system, you can, for instance, carry out protests to draw attention to your cause and then follow up with effective electioneering.

And no poo poo this is a non-trivial challenge, and it shouldn't be anything but.

quote:

No, Ardennes is saying that OWS was disinterested in skin-deep appeals to conservative "respectability," any more than Tea Party members are concerned that Democrats think they're crazy people. Movements don't have to "care" about being popular, either they're centered on the public or they aren't.
TIL: A "popular leftist movement" don't have to care about being "popular"

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

huskarl_marx posted:

It was far better for OWS to die in its crib than to creep on as merely another political party in the predatory system we find ourselves enshrouded in.

I and everyone with money applaud your zeal at self-marginaizliation

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW

Typo posted:

The Democrats are similarly "vilified and assaulted" for their beliefs and goals.

Again, I'm not sure we're living in the same country or even using the same definitions of words at this point. Having political cartoons drawn about you is not being vilified. I'm not even sure what you're thinking when you say that either main party is constantly assaulted for their beliefs and goals because literally there's no definition of "assault" that would apply to the Republicans or the Democrats.

Here's a little thought exercise for ya, next time either of the main parties has a convention check to see if the people being kicked in the head by the police are inside of the convention center or on the streets outside of it

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Typo posted:

Please, when was the last time mainstream Republicans and Democrats had to face government-approved violence in response to political speech?

Anyway, you're clearly not arguing about my actual point in your zeal to try to poo poo on Occupy for ideological reasons (see the other half of your double-post where you lump yourself in with "everyone with money"), so this will be my last response to you.

e because I missed this:

Typo posted:

TIL: A "popular leftist movement" don't have to care about being "popular"

The word "popular", when applied to a political movement, does not mean the same thing as it does in high school. It refers to a movement that is made of and concerned with the body of the populace, as opposed to favoring elites.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 1, 2014

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Kid Gloves posted:

Again, I'm not sure we're living in the same country or even using the same definitions of words at this point. Having political cartoons drawn about you is not being vilified. I'm not even sure what you're thinking when you say that either main party is constantly assaulted for their beliefs and goals because literally there's no definition of "assault" that would apply to the Republicans or the Democrats.

Here's a little thought exercise for ya, next time either of the main parties has a convention check to see if the people being kicked in the head by the police are inside of the convention center or on the streets outside of it

Do you think police brutality hurt the OWS movement?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mornacale posted:

The word "popular", when applied to a political movement, does not mean the same thing as it does in high school. It refers to a movement that is made of and concerned with the body of the populace, as opposed to favoring elites.

Though typically it has to have an appreciable amount of the populace, not just "we're really the silent majority" poo poo.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Usually discussions of OWS get especially silly when you hear people complaining people should have worn suits and it was the drum circles that killed it. I think there is a realization that something is going wrong by some of them, but there is very chance of them coming up with new answers.

OWS really wasn't fulfilling the desires of establishment liberals, it was a hodgepodge of random people going together to vent and experiment. Ultimately, most of the people were burnt out about what liberals had to offer in the first place, since it was clear that voting D including in primaries wasn't going to change a thing.

I just love (I mean hate) when liberals than go on about how leftists ruined the moment. That OWS was the one chance to get reform enacted and we wasted it and it's all our faults that the Democrats and Republicans ate working together to cut social programs and not go after the banks. If only we had just blindly supported the Democrats, [insert villain of the week] wouldn't have won.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

KomradeX posted:

I just love (I mean hate) when liberals than go on about how leftists ruined the moment. That OWS was the one chance to get reform enacted and we wasted it and it's all our faults that the Democrats and Republicans ate working together to cut social programs and not go after the banks. If only we had just blindly supported the Democrats, [insert villain of the week] wouldn't have won.

That's a pretty sweet generalization, dude. Liberal = Democrat is one of the worst myths of our generation.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

anonumos posted:

That's a pretty sweet generalization, dude. Liberal = Democrat is one of the worst myths of our generation.

That's true, you could always be David Brooks.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

asdf32 posted:

Police brutality generally hurts, yes.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

asdf32 posted:

If it didn't work at diffusing street action, cops would stay the hell home. And when you're out there as I was, harassment and dogs and bomb-detection isn't galvanizing, it's just harrassment.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

asdf32 posted:

It's hard to say. That one video that came out early on showing a college-age girl getting pepper sprayed for no apparent reason certainly raised public support for the movement, but there's also an unknown and extremely difficult to calculate chilling effect associated with it -- how many people who wanted to participate in the protest were afraid of the police's seemingly random acts of violence? How many weren't afraid of getting hurt by the police, but would be ruined by legal/medical fees if they were targeted by police with frivolous fines or violence?

Besides, the point you're making is completely outside the scope of Kid Gloves' argument.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

It's hard to say. That one video that came out early on showing a college-age girl getting pepper sprayed for no apparent reason certainly raised public support for the movement, but there's also an unknown and extremely difficult to calculate chilling effect associated with it -- how many people who wanted to participate in the protest were afraid of the police's seemingly random acts of violence? How many weren't afraid of getting hurt by the police, but would be ruined by legal/medical fees if they were targeted by police with frivolous fines or violence?

Besides, the point you're making is completely outside the scope of Kid Gloves' argument.

I tend to think police brutality didn't hurt the movement. Though I guess if it was completely dependent on actually physically occupying public space, and the police effectively inhibited this, then yeah, maybe it hurt them. Though this would be yet more evidence for just how weak they were if that's all the movement was.

Generally I don't think the actual impact of police brutality outweighs the benefits of the publicity in this case.

The point is that if it didn't actually hurt the movement then you can't use it as a reason for why OWS failed. You can use it as support for "see everyone hates us!" - but everyone already agrees with that.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I'm still not sure why people think OWS failed. It might not have produced any immediate changes, but it's still being discussed today, its themes and rhetoric are still being used today, and New York currently has a decently left-wing mayor who's done quite a bit of good for the city's most vulnerable. Minimum wage workers going on strike directly referenced OWS and cited some of its rhetoric, and now many states, cities as well as the federal government are either working on or have already passed a raise in the minimum wage. The way I see it, it shifted popular attitudes regarding the ruling elites -- financial and political -- and heightened a sense of class consciousness among the working class. If you define failure as immediately putting some suit into office who will immediately execute certain actions, I guess it did fail. Still, I'm perfectly happy with a failure of a movement that laid the emotional and intellectual groundwork for raising the standards of living of the poor a couple years down the road.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
It wasn't their moment. Not enough momentum to break through the public's reactionary streak. And that was that. Onto the next thing, no shortage of things to organize a protest around.

The US' biggest hurdle to organizing is going to be people's distaste for each other. Too many opportunities for, "Oh wait, I just remembered that I hate you. What the gently caress am I even doing here". People's answer to the question, "What is your opinion of an average, random stranger in your country?" is going to be a strong predictor of its propensity towards successful organization. In a country with strong tendencies towards social domination, people have contrived limitless reasons to believe others to be different and inferior. You pit people against each other, and they'll do this I guess.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'm still not sure why people think OWS failed. It might not have produced any immediate changes, but it's still being discussed today, its themes and rhetoric are still being used today, and New York currently has a decently left-wing mayor who's done quite a bit of good for the city's most vulnerable. Minimum wage workers going on strike directly referenced OWS and cited some of its rhetoric, and now many states, cities as well as the federal government are either working on or have already passed a raise in the minimum wage. The way I see it, it shifted popular attitudes regarding the ruling elites -- financial and political -- and heightened a sense of class consciousness among the working class. If you define failure as immediately putting some suit into office who will immediately execute certain actions, I guess it did fail. Still, I'm perfectly happy with a failure of a movement that laid the emotional and intellectual groundwork for raising the standards of living of the poor a couple years down the road.

Nailed it.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

No in that sense it didn't fail. But there is a recent standard of comparison that is rarely used, the 2003 Iraq War protests. OWS attracted much fewer people, though financial crises are more abstract than the promise of thousands of GI fatalities. You can tell me if I'm wrong to, but that's how I judge demonstrations, by the head count. Does a movement have the gravity to make people risk something?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
OWS is talked about in some circles but so are the 1968 protests. The key point is that in the mainstream consciousness (not even media but just talking with people) you don't hear about either of those.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
And what did that organized, focused anti-war movement of millions accomplish?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

OwlBot 2000 posted:

And what did that organized, focused anti-war movement of millions accomplish?

If you want to judge demonstrations in post-1980's America by their actual efficacy, you are welcome to. I don't because I don't wish to become fantastically depressed. I do not believe that protest works any longer here, because the public is inoculated against it. So I take the number of people that actually showed up, and I divide that by ten million because that's what it would take to budge a damned thing. Barely anyone came out to OWS outside of NYC, the camps were quickly dispersed everywhere else without spectacle. Ripples, but little else. A tepid response to a catastrophe, stark in its total lack of proportion to the imminence and scale of the threat posed by global capital.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
As a super liberal dude, I have to agree with the above poster: protests don't really do anything in my view. The only real way to effect change in a capitalist society is either through direct violence i.e. breaking into a place and harming or imprisoning everyone that you find to be "wrong" in an establishment, or by getting a ton of capital to change the system from within.

The system is built kinda like Game of Thrones. You may want to effect change but if you're not in it to win it, you'll either become corrupted and become part of the problem, or you'll be essentially killed (made irrelevent) because you don't have enough capital to keep playing. In this case You Win or You Die doesn't mean literal death, but politically it absolutely can. So if the OWS types wanted to play the game they literally would have been doing everything they stood against while at the same time the biggest criticism I see is that they didn't play the game.

They were protests. And seriously, when is the last time a protest really did something. I mean REALLY did something to change legislation in a meaningful way that wasn't either retroactively changed, or simply steam rolled over. From minimum wage pushes to gun legislation to even tax policy that every poll suggests people want modified to favor mid-to-lower income folks are not changing. THere is a rally, people get pissed off, then the intersts with the most money enact the REAL change and it will almost always benefit them.

Hell, look what happened to the public option in the ACA, it was ridiculously popular when it was first part of the ACA and it was stripped out DESPITE IT BEING MORE POPULAR THAN OTHER PARTS OF THE BILL.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

agarjogger posted:

If you want to judge demonstrations in post-1980's America by their actual efficacy, you are welcome to. I don't because I don't wish to become fantastically depressed. I do not believe that protest works any longer here, because the public is inoculated against it. So I take the number of people that actually showed up, and I divide that by ten million because that's what it would take to budge a damned thing. Barely anyone came out to OWS outside of NYC, the camps were quickly dispersed everywhere else without spectacle. Ripples, but little else. A tepid response to a catastrophe, stark in its total lack of proportion to the imminence and scale of the threat posed by global capital.
Oakland had a massive presence, and Burlington enjoyed widespread support in Vermont. Miami was a drug-addled failure, though. I still remember Occupy Oakland marching on a highway overpass and covering 6 lanes for miles behind the head of the march. Denver and Seattle had massive influence over state politics too.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Strudel Man posted:

Silver2195 posted:

You arguably just answered your own question there: it would cost both sides too much. Mutually assured destruction.
Much like how competing brands refrain from spending money on advertising against each other. Mutually assured destruction.

No. Oligopolic markets have a kinked demand curve. (and many markets in Late Capitalism, after lots of capital concentration has occurred, are oligopolic)

I had some big ol' post somewhere about oligopolic markets 101 but it's saying that the database is unavailable

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

asdf32 posted:

I tend to think police brutality didn't hurt the movement. Though I guess if it was completely dependent on actually physically occupying public space, and the police effectively inhibited this, then yeah, maybe it hurt them. Though this would be yet more evidence for just how weak they were if that's all the movement was.

Generally I don't think the actual impact of police brutality outweighs the benefits of the publicity in this case.

The point is that if it didn't actually hurt the movement then you can't use it as a reason for why OWS failed. You can use it as support for "see everyone hates us!" - but everyone already agrees with that.

Refer again to the example of Move In Day in Oakland. Occupy Oakland sought to turn a building into a community center, the police got there first and fortified it and then drove them away with violence.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Mornacale posted:

Refer again to the example of Move In Day in Oakland. Occupy Oakland sought to turn a building into a community center, the police got there first and fortified it and then drove them away with violence.

Which brings us to the next question - exactly what standards would you like the police to use in regards to random groups taking over buildings and public parks? Like what is your ideal expectation there?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Which brings us to the next question - exactly what standards would you like the police to use in regards to random groups taking over buildings and public parks? Like what is your ideal expectation there?

Did you say public parks? What standard should the police use when a bunch of people come to a public park? Well gosh, I suppose they should assemble an equal number of ex-military guys in riot armor and tear gas the loving poo poo out of them. Break some jaws as well. You're not well if you think a bunch of fucks chanting in a park necessitates a blood offering to the God of Law&Order. If you think this is how a society should conduct itself and people should be monstrous if they're told to be. If you can't think of any better way. Which you apparently can't, and you're asking because you actually can't conceive of how it might have ended differently.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

asdf32 posted:

I think we should consider having multiple standards - a "double" standard if you will - for those who we, ahem, endorse, and those who we, ahem, do not.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

asdf32 posted:

Do you dispute that this is an example of police violence preventing Occupy from achieving a goal?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

What does any of this have to do with whether or not capitalism is anti-democratic?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Best Friends posted:

What does any of this have to do with whether or not capitalism is anti-democratic?

let it ride, do we really need another goddamned Occupy thread. I also feel like there are three front-page threads with this same basic premise.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Best Friends posted:

If attempts to oppose capitalism through peaceful protest and democratic action are met with repressive and excessive state violence, that would kinda make the point on its own.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Inequality is actually becoming a part of the national conversation, to the point where the far right feels the need to call its very mention communism. The near right has responded by having its puppet roll out new Herman Cain-esque branding: "$10.10 an hour."

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

chairface posted:

If attempts to oppose capitalism through peaceful protest and democratic action are met with repressive and excessive state violence, that would kinda make the point on its own.

The OWS protests were wildly unpopular and did not achieve democratic success, so I don't see how it speaks to the OPs question.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Best Friends posted:

The OWS protests were wildly unpopular and did not achieve democratic success, so I don't see how it speaks to the OPs question.

Unpopular with whom?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Further why would "popular" or "successful" be necessary qualifiers there. Peaceful protesters opposed capitalism and pigs used chemical weapons, among other atrocities, against them on behalf of capitalism. Sounds real democratic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

chairface posted:

Further why would "popular" or "successful" be necessary qualifiers there. Peaceful protesters opposed capitalism and pigs used chemical weapons, among other atrocities, against them on behalf of capitalism. Sounds real democratic!

You have a bizarre idea of what democracy means. If 51% think the pigs should napalm the camp, that's democracy. What you meant to say was, "Sounds really civil libertarian!"

• Locked thread