Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Oz was a good movie considering it is a PG remake of Army of Darkness. It probably would have worked better animated. Zach Braff monkey looks like a rejected character from the first Shrek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Koramei posted:

Computer animation can still improve a whole lot, I think things will continue to age quickly until we really sort out rendering lighting properly, and that won't be for a while yet. I don't think Frozen will ever look as dated as most early Pixar movies do now, but I think it will definitely be less enjoyable ten years from now. Especially since its visuals are one of its biggest strengths.

Also to jump in late on soundtrack discussion since I think it's relevant to this too; I think Frozen's is nice enough, but nothing like as timeless as Disney Renaissance pieces are; it feels very much like today's music. And it outselling everything since The Lion King isn't actually that remarkable when you consider it's the first peroper musical we've had in fifteen years.

Why wouldn't Disney just release a "remastered" version ten or fifteen years from now and sell another 5 million bluerays (or amazon files or whatever)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Charlz Guybon posted:

Why wouldn't Disney just release a "remastered" version ten or fifteen years from now and sell another 5 million bluerays (or amazon files or whatever)

Because the majority of people probably wouldn't care (see also: Toy Story) or it would probably cost more than it's worth (e.g., A Bug's Life).

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

computer parts posted:

Because the majority of people probably wouldn't care (see also: Toy Story) or it would probably cost more than it's worth (e.g., A Bug's Life).

Given the way that Disney refuses to sell videos for years at time in order to build up demand I think they would make money.

After all how many times did Lucas redo Star Wars (bad example I know).

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but here's the first five minutes of How To Train Your Dragon 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSKflxDUlpE

Though it may not exactly as how the first five minutes will play out.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 27, 2014

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

The main problem with adapting the musical is it falls flat on it's face after Defying Gravity and rewriting the books story to make Elephaba and Glinda's real falling out be because of a boy loving sucks. Basically I'd like some actually talented story tellers to come in restructure it as much as possible but you know that would get all the fans up in arms.
ABC actually has TV rights for the novel. There was talk about doing a miniseries a few years ago.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

The main problem with adapting the musical is it falls flat on it's face after Defying Gravity and rewriting the books story to make Elephaba and Glinda's real falling out be because of a boy loving sucks. Basically I'd like some actually talented story tellers to come in restructure it as much as possible but you know that would get all the fans up in arms.

To be fair, there is pretty much no way to go anywhere but down after Defying Gravity because oh my holy gently caress what a song. And For Good and No Good Deed are great songs in their own right, but Wicked is so defined by Defying Gravity that you could leave after that song and feel like you got your money's worth.

Also, as much as I agree with you, and there are so many fixes you could make to the second half of that musical, I think it's nice that for once there's a story where the guy is just a piece of wooden plot device for the lead women to fight over. It's always the other way around, so Wicked is comparatively refreshing.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I know I'm late, but I finally saw Frozen yesterday. The one thing I didn't see mentioned here, even by the people who didn't like it. But was I the only one who for a moment thought that Kristoff would end up with Elsa? I didn't read anything about the story before the viewing, so at the point where they reach her ice castle I didn't expect Hans to turn heel. The only part of the open door sequence that I had noticed at that point was the "finish each others sandwiches part" where Anna interrupts his sentence and he just claims it was exactly what he was going to say. That's not enough to suspect a heel turn especially after he tries to help everyone in all his next scenes.
Anyway, Kristoff and Anna arrive at the fortress of solitude and the first thing Kristoff does is openly admire the craftsmanship and all the ice. At that point I figured that Elsa and him would hook up at some point.

I kind of think it would've been better that way, since the only real antagonist of the movie would've been Elsa's icepowers (and by extension the theme of her fearing who she really is). The only part that would've been more difficult to keep is the sisterly love being the answer. It could still work if everything goes the same but instead of sacrificing herself to save Elsa from Hans she sacrifices herself to give Elsa a cooldown hug when her powers go out of control.
The end scene could be Elsa and Anna giving the new sled to Kristoff and him making a pass at her.

Anyway, I still liked the movie and I know I'll enjoy looking for signs of Hans' imminent betrayel in subsequent viewings.

edit: I loved the ice golem stinger. :sparkly:

And being a gamer at heart it makes me suspect Disney is very happy with Disney infinity taking the place of the usual tie in game. While watching I couldn't fathom how to turn this into a game and keep the story.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 27, 2014

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

So Bob Hoskins of Who Framed roger rabbit and the Super Mario bros. movie has died today at the ripe old age for 71 :(

You will be missed.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
That's really sad news. Roger Rabbit wouldn't have been nearly as good without Hoskins' great dedication to make all the Toons believeable.
For example, the parts where Eddie and Roger are chained together with handcuffs was mostly all Hoskins' wristwork; he had to think of Roger's movements with the cuffs accurately to make the animation part work.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Darth TNT posted:

I know I'm late, but I finally saw Frozen yesterday. The one thing I didn't see mentioned here, even by the people who didn't like it. But was I the only one who for a moment thought that Kristoff would end up with Elsa? I didn't read anything about the story before the viewing, so at the point where they reach her ice castle I didn't expect Hans to turn heel. The only part of the open door sequence that I had noticed at that point was the "finish each others sandwiches part" where Anna interrupts his sentence and he just claims it was exactly what he was going to say. That's not enough to suspect a heel turn especially after he tries to help everyone in all his next scenes.
Anyway, Kristoff and Anna arrive at the fortress of solitude and the first thing Kristoff does is openly admire the craftsmanship and all the ice. At that point I figured that Elsa and him would hook up at some point.

I kind of think it would've been better that way, since the only real antagonist of the movie would've been Elsa's icepowers (and by extension the theme of her fearing who she really is). The only part that would've been more difficult to keep is the sisterly love being the answer. It could still work if everything goes the same but instead of sacrificing herself to save Elsa from Hans she sacrifices herself to give Elsa a cooldown hug when her powers go out of control.
The end scene could be Elsa and Anna giving the new sled to Kristoff and him making a pass at her.

Anyway, I still liked the movie and I know I'll enjoy looking for signs of Hans' imminent betrayel in subsequent viewings.

edit: I loved the ice golem stinger. :sparkly:

And being a gamer at heart it makes me suspect Disney is very happy with Disney infinity taking the place of the usual tie in game. While watching I couldn't fathom how to turn this into a game and keep the story.

I actually kind of thought Kristoff and Elsa were going to end up together too. Kristoff's whole thing is that he loves ice and thinks it's beautiful, and Elsa can create ice. I thought that scene where they show up at Elsa's ice castle and he marvels at how gorgeous it is was foreshadowing them getting together.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kikka posted:

That's really sad news. Roger Rabbit wouldn't have been nearly as good without Hoskins' great dedication to make all the Toons believeable.
For example, the parts where Eddie and Roger are chained together with handcuffs was mostly all Hoskins' wristwork; he had to think of Roger's movements with the cuffs accurately to make the animation part work.

Hoskins was the best special effect in the film. Sure, the fantastic animation and compositing work made the film work, but a lesser actor and less convincing performance would have killed the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqutStUmSQ4

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I love the part after he lands where Lena catches him and kisses him on the cheek, only for the bottom screen that is a prop guy with a massive mustache pinching him like a grandma :3:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Korean film "The House" is on Netflix. I enjoyed it a lot. It's about gentrification, which is an odd topic for an animated film, but I felt it was very charming in a way :).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Disney literally can't keep the shelves stocked with enough Frozen merchandise for everyone

http://blog.disneystore.com/blog/2014/05/disney-store-frozen-merchandise-announcement.html

quote:

Dear Disney Store Guests:

You may have noticed a few changes this weekend at your local Disney Store as it relates to purchasing Frozen products. We are thrilled that the story of Anna and Elsa has touched the hearts of so many, and we have been working around the clock to get product back on shelves as soon as possible. At Disney Store, we strive to provide an exceptional Guest experience for everyone and creating an equitable way to purchase Frozen product is part of our ongoing effort to deliver on that commitment.

With limited quantities of Frozen product beginning to flow back into Stores, we have developed a new in-store purchase method that aims to make the process predictable and fair for all our Guests. Highlights of the process are as follows:

All Stores will be replenishing Frozen items as shipments are received. Select product, including dolls and plush, will only be available for sale on Saturdays at Store opening.

For the Elsa Costume, opportunity drawings to purchase one costume per Guest will be held on Saturdays. Drawings are determined by individual Store inventory, so please check back here on Fridays for a complete list of participating Stores. At participating locations, Cast Members will be explaining the rules in full detail Saturday mornings, prior to the opportunity drawings. Please note, drawings are conducted by size, and Guests can only enter for one opportunity drawing.

The 2 item per Guest limit remains in effect for select Frozen merchandise both in Stores and online. As stated above, the Frozen Elsa Costumes will be limited to one per Guest.

This process pertains to Disney Store locations in U.S. and Canada until further notice. Please note, Outlet locations do not have the Elsa Costume in their inventory, and therefore will not be participating in the opportunity drawing process.

We anticipate Frozen product being back in stock in Stores come July/August and will continue to evaluate the need for these purchase methods to ensure the best possible Guest Experience.

In addition, or for those Guests who prefer to shop online, please continue to check DisneyStore.com as Frozen product is replenished weekly.

We thank you for your continued support and loyalty, and we hope you have a Magical day.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I bought almost all of my Frozen stuff before the movie premiered. After it premiered, it was just loving gone.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

You do have to admit that Elsa's snow queen dress is pretty boss and if I was still a 7 year old girl I would trade both my little brothers for one.

It is kind of crazy that they can't keep stock though, when there's no actual holiday around to drive sales, but I have seriously heard little kids singing the 'In Summer' song just walking around town. Frozen absolutely owns its target audience.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So any bets on how long until we hear about Frozen 2: Olafs quest for a warm hug.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Darth TNT posted:

So any bets on how long until we hear about Frozen 2: Olafs quest for a warm hug.

They already said they're working on the Broadway musical first, not a sequel.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

mistaya posted:

You do have to admit that Elsa's snow queen dress is pretty boss and if I was still a 7 year old girl I would trade both my little brothers for one.

It is kind of crazy that they can't keep stock though, when there's no actual holiday around to drive sales, but I have seriously heard little kids singing the 'In Summer' song just walking around town. Frozen absolutely owns its target audience.

I was in little pizza place recently with a friend and Let It Go came on the radio there. And there was at least one person in every table singing along (ours included)

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I would honestly be surprised if one of Disney's next moves were a Frozen sequel. That's not really their MO. They've done sequels before, but those have either been DTV or many years after the fact. Sure, Frozen made them upwards of a billion dollars, but they tend to pump all that extra cash into whatever other ideas they happen to be working on.

And then sometimes Planes 2 happens anyway.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Are there any sequels other than Rescuers Down Under in the Disney canon? That's the only one I can remember from Tangled's 50 movies short.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wittgen posted:

Are there any sequels other than Rescuers Down Under in the Disney canon? That's the only one I can remember from Tangled's 50 movies short.

Fantasia and/or Winnie the Pooh.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I was thinking of Return to Neverland, but it looks like that was done by Disney's offshoot studio.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Jay Dub posted:

I was thinking of Return to Neverland, but it looks like that was done by Disney's offshoot studio.

That and Jungle Book 2 were originally planned for direct-to-video but went to theaters instead. Same with Planes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well, that said, they weren't wide-release.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
The point still stands: I'd be surprised if they jumped straight into a Frozen sequel instead of something completely different.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I really think they're still trying to distance themselves from the legacy of bad sequels.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Pick posted:

I really think they're still trying to distance themselves from the legacy of bad sequels.

I've actually read that the composer of Wreck-It Ralph said something about being called back for another one, so I dunno...

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
their next big project is Moana, the Hawaiian/Polynesia based one.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I read that this might be the first feature to make use of the Paperman technology. I'll be very interested if that turns out to be true.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Big Hero 6 and Zootopia are coming out before that. I'm excited for Big Hero 6 because come on it's a Disney superhero movie but Zootopia is just giving me Chicken Little flashbacks.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Pick posted:

Korean film "The House" is on Netflix. I enjoyed it a lot. It's about gentrification, which is an odd topic for an animated film, but I felt it was very charming in a way :).

This was cool. The animation was middling in places (although the style was nice) but the backgrounds were novel and it was pretty poignant. And sad, like every other Korean film.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Behonkiss posted:

I've actually read that the composer of Wreck-It Ralph said something about being called back for another one, so I dunno...

Wreck-it Ralph lends itself way more to a sequel than Frozen does I think. I think you could do a lot of things with the Wreck-it Ralph world but Frozen should just get the Tangled treatment of doing a short based on it

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I liked someone's idea of having a PC or just the internet plugged into their system.

Qindarka
Nov 13, 2012
I do wonder how long WDAS's non sequel streak will last. Theatrical sequels to animated films didn't really become the norm until the 2000s, which coincided with WDAS's lack of financially successful films that could be spun into franchises. Could see that changing now with the recent successes.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Zootopia is just giving me Chicken Little flashbacks.

That seems a rather superficial comparison. Chicken Little didn't fail based on its setting.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Big Hero 6 and Zootopia are coming out before that.

Nathan Greno's Giants is also scheduled to come out before Moana. Moana is a long, long, long, time away.

Qindarka fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 3, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

If you haven't seen it I highly recommend checking out Heavy Metal since it just got added to Netflix, if only because its almost impressively ugly.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 3, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

mr. stefan posted:

If you haven't seen it I highly recommend checking out Heavy Metal since it just got added to Netflix, if only because its almost impressively ugly.
WW2 Zombies is still cool and effective and the weird unreality of the rotoscoping works well for that short.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Wreck-it Ralph lends itself way more to a sequel than Frozen does I think. I think you could do a lot of things with the Wreck-it Ralph world but Frozen should just get the Tangled treatment of doing a short based on it

I agree and I wouldn't mind a wreckit Ralph sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

mr. stefan posted:

Anybody who watches this for the first time should immediately watch the South Park parody, Major Boobage afterward; even if you usually don't care for SP, it's amazing.

• Locked thread