Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

thefncrow posted:

No reason to think Obamacare is the cause of this.

This is adorable. Of COURSE Obamacare is the cause.

Obamacare is also the cause of dry rot, shootings, stabbings, drownings, low resale value on your home, lower back pain, and it's why I didn't have any Corn Flakes this morning when I went to eat breakfast.

(It's not, but that won't stop the right from mercilessly flogging the Drudge article anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Alter Ego posted:

This is adorable. Of COURSE Obamacare is the cause.

Obamacare is also the cause of dry rot, shootings, stabbings, drownings, low resale value on your home, lower back pain, and it's why I didn't have any Corn Flakes this morning when I went to eat breakfast.

(It's not, but that won't stop the right from mercilessly flogging the Drudge article anyway).

Well, greatn was asking if Obamacare might have caused this in terms of allowing people an escape hatch from jobs they didn't want or need aside from being able to obtain health insurance. Basically, asking if Obamacare might have had a positive effect that caused this labor force participation rate drop.

But of course I agree that many on the right blame everything on Obamacare. Someone out there will go to sleep tonight and wake up in the morning to find their very old dog has died in the night, and inevitably Obamacare will be given as the reason the dog died.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

menino posted:

Do you even care what the answer is?

Don't encourage whitenoise, Sedan seems to go manic every time you do.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Do you not have tbp on ignore?

I don't have anyone on ignore, for I have the ability to scroll.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fried Chicken posted:

Weird, your personal anecdote is contradicted by the FRED data showing overall wages have had a slower rate of growth since 2008 and flatlined this year, and for the construction industry (where your pipe fitters would be located) wages have actually fallen this year.

http://m.research.stlouisfed.org/fred/

Gosh I wonder which is accurate, your little story or nation wide data sets professionally collected for almost a century

This is one of the most hilarious right wing talking points. No amount of flailing and "I know a guy who is a welder and makes 150k" can cover up the fact that the average welder makes 32k a year

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So what's the GOP up to today? Tackling the massive amount of inequality? Our crumbling infrastructure? The massive imbalance in taxation between the very rich and the very poor? Of course, it's none of the above. It's...Benghazi! Benghazi? Benghazi.

Darrell Issa Subpoenas John Kerry To Testify On Benghazi

I have no idea what the hell they think they are accomplishing by harping on this poo poo. Besides blatantly pandering to their base of course. The majority of Americans could give a poo poo. I'm not saying it wasn't a tragedy, but the bullshit 'conspiracy' part of it. They're more concerned with rising food prices, declining wages and keeping their houses. Harping on something like this does no good and just makes people exhausted from hearing about it. And they're not going to impeach anyone or get anyone to resign over it. The whole thing is getting to be a running joke.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dapper Dan posted:

So what's the GOP up to today? Tackling the massive amount of inequality? Our crumbling infrastructure? The massive imbalance in taxation between the very rich and the very poor? Of course, it's none of the above. It's...Benghazi! Benghazi? Benghazi.

I have no idea what the hell they think they are accomplishing by harping on this poo poo. Besides blatantly pandering to their base of course. The majority of Americans could give a poo poo. I'm not saying it wasn't a tragedy, but the bullshit 'conspiracy' part of it. They're more concerned with rising food prices, declining wages and keeping their houses. Harping on something like this does no good and just makes people exhausted from hearing about it. And they're not going to impeach anyone or get anyone to resign over it. The whole thing is getting to be a running joke.
Making people exhausted might be a helpful side benefit if it keeps them from voting in 2014. But the real purpose is to help keep the base from deciding they're RINOs and then losing their job, I reckon.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dapper Dan posted:

It's...Benghazi! Benghazi? Benghazi.
Do the people who live in Benghazi know that their city name has become kind of a magic incantation here?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Dapper Dan posted:

We all roll our eyes, but for Darrell Issa the issue of Benghazi is as burning as those buildings he torched for the insurance money back in the 80s.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nessus posted:

Making people exhausted might be a helpful side benefit if it keeps them from voting in 2014. But the real purpose is to help keep the base from deciding they're RINOs and then losing their job, I reckon.

Yeah, the GOP base requires all of it's elected officials to say 3 dog whistles and a Benghazi at every prayer or risk excommunication.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Yes, ask John Kerry to testify in front of a Congressional committee. Surely he will break under pressure because he has no experience owning Congressional committees. None whatsoever.

The GOP will not be satisfied until Obama admits to having murdered Chris Stevens himself then making a lamp out of his skin. At this point the only thing you can do is laugh at them.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 2, 2014

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Subpoena Kerry? What's the point, he wasn't even sec of state when it happened. Is he supposed to dump all of Clinton's documents or something?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Iron Twinkie posted:

"Suspicious Deaths of Bankers Are Now Classified as “Trade Secrets” by Federal Regulator"
http://wallstreetonparade.com/2014/...eral-regulator/

:tinfoil:

This article is pretty misleading. The deaths aren't classified as trade secrets, the COLI plans are, which is pretty common. Corporations do it because of the tax advantages which are more complicated than I'd like to get into. And while I don't have specific statistics, ambitious 30-something bankers who got laid off during one of the biggest economic downturns in American history seem like a group that would have a higher than average suicide rate.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

forbidden lesbian posted:

I don't have anyone on ignore, for I have the ability to scroll.

Not like it matters anyways, since everyone quotes the posts that they're making their sick burns to.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sweart gliwere posted:

Subpoena Kerry? What's the point, he wasn't even sec of state when it happened. Is he supposed to dump all of Clinton's documents or something?

Issa is claiming that the white house or state is stalling on the delivery of emails relevant to the attack.

Bonus: The (republican!) chair of another house committee that ran its investigation and interviewed a dozen witnesses and stuff is now pissed because Issa is basically implying that the previous committee didn't do their job properly.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Dapper Dan posted:

So what happens when Issa shuts off Kerry's mic when he punks Issa's panel? I wanna watch this as if I was watching the Super Bowl. :allears:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Good Citizen posted:

This article is pretty misleading. The deaths aren't classified as trade secrets, the COLI plans are, which is pretty common. Corporations do it because of the tax advantages which are more complicated than I'd like to get into. And while I don't have specific statistics, ambitious 30-something bankers who got laid off during one of the biggest economic downturns in American history seem like a group that would have a higher than average suicide rate.

And mid 20s-early 30 something's with more money than god seems like a recipe for doing really stupid and highly embarrassing things that could result in death

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nessus posted:

Yeah, I mean, how does it look that you won't expand Medicare basically for free for but they're harping on an issue that only the hardcore crazies care about? It is absolutely disgusting. So you are right, it might have a silver lining. I bet most Americans don't even know where the gently caress Benghazi even is.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do the people who live in Benghazi know that their city name has become kind of a magic incantation here?

Probably not. But Republicans seem to think by saying it over and over it will result in the entire Democratic party being impeached through sheer force of will. And then the Republicans would ascend to power on the chariot of the gold standard with the ten commandments in each hand.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Talking about Benghazi gives them a pass for not talking about other things, too. Can't overlook that.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Issa might not be in charge of the Benghazi proceedings much longer, because....

quote:

“Americans learned this week that the Obama Administration is so intent on obstructing the truth about Benghazi that it is even willing to defy subpoenas issued by the standing committees of the People's House. These revelations compel the House to take every possible action to ensure the American people have the truth about the terrorist attack on our consulate that killed four of our countrymen. In light of these new developments, the House will vote to establish a new select committee to investigate the attack, provide the necessary accountability, and ensure justice is finally served.

“The administration's withholding of documents – emails showing greater White House involvement in misleading the American people – is a flagrant violation of trust and undermines the basic principles of oversight upon which our system of government is built. And it forces us to ask the question, what else about Benghazi is the Obama administration still hiding from the American people?

“The House committees that have been investigating this attack have done extraordinary work, using their subpoena power, holding dozens of hearings, and conducting hundreds of interviews. Without this work we would not know much that we do today. But it’s clear that questions remain, and the administration still does not respect the authority of Congress to provide proper oversight. This dismissiveness and evasion requires us to elevate the investigation to a new level. I intend for this select committee to have robust authority, and I will expect it to work quickly to get answers for the American people and the families of the victims.

“Four Americans died at the hands of terrorists nearly 20 months ago, and we are still missing answers, accountability, and justice. It’s time that change.”

I'd guess we'll be talking about reviving the Office of the Special Prosecutor by year's end.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

And mid 20s-early 30 something's with more money than god seems like a recipe for doing really stupid and highly embarrassing things that could result in death

Yeah, if you tell me a 34 year old investment banker died of a heart attack then my first thought is 'cocaine', not 'conspiracy to kill him for a life insurance payout that's not worth a fraction of a percent on the company's income statement'.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Issa might not be in charge of the Benghazi proceedings much longer, because....

I'd guess we'll be talking about reviving the Office of the Special Prosecutor by year's end.

So it's gonna be the same poo poo with a different nutjob cutting people's mics. Good to know.

*Yawn*

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Law and Order: Special Benghazi Unit, coming to FOX NEWS this Fall!

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Alter Ego posted:

So it's gonna be the same poo poo with a different nutjob cutting people's mics. Good to know.

*Yawn*

This Congress has been the most incompetent and least productive one in American history. They can barely do the basic functions of governance without making GBS threads themselves. Yet they have time to do a song and dance routine that will basically amount to nothing. All the while people are suffering from their inaction on everything else. It really is pathetic.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

The choice of typeface seems inappropriate here. I feel like it should link to a kickstarter.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

I really think we will. As the ACA attack message has been faltering they are ramping up the "Imperial Presidency" lines more and more. Add to that Obama is rolling out a series of executive orders and EPA regulations that message is going to be cranked to 11. If they take the senate and expand their majority in the house as expected after running on "we have to reign in black palpatine" they need to aggressively go against him.

Add into it that midterms are when you define your party in contrast to the president in preparation for the next cycle. Dems did that in 2006 with things like SCHIP and rolling back changes to the insurrection act and making motions of going after big business* to define them in opposition to Bush. The problem is the GOP doesn't have any policy to use to define themselves (and what they do have like Ryan's budget they don't want to use until they have the White House). So the best way for them to define themselves as opposed to Obama is to investigate him again and again.

I expect a special prosecutor. How far they take it will depends on how the election shakes out. But at this point another attempt at impeachment wouldn't surprise me.

*thank god they did. In 2002 the GOP suspended requiring banks to pay into the FDIC. The Dems reinstated those payments. If they hadn't there would not have been enough to cover all the bank failures

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dapper Dan posted:

This Congress has been the most incompetent and least productive one in American history. They can barely do the basic functions of governance without making GBS threads themselves. Yet they have time to do a song and dance routine that will basically amount to nothing. All the while people are suffering from their inaction on everything else. It really is pathetic.
From the perspective of right-leaning billionaires and assorted other types they've been doing wonderfully though, the issue is that we now find it harder to pretend that 'the people' means 'the mass population' rather than 'that thin slice.'

Also, yes please, proceed, Senators; unlike Bill Clinton, neither Hillary nor Biden nor anyone else is going to want to 'dissociate' from the positive seeming stuff Obama did.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

I expect a special prosecutor. How far they take it will depends on how the election shakes out. But at this point another attempt at impeachment wouldn't surprise me.

*thank god they did. In 2002 the GOP suspended requiring banks to pay into the FDIC. The Dems reinstated those payments. If they hadn't there would not have been enough to cover all the bank failures

At this point, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a move to impeach with the supposed coverup of Benghazi as justification. The results of the midterms will dictate how soon it will be, in my opinion.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
What do Republicans really expect to gain from keeping Benghazi in the news? If they want to use it to assassinate Hillary's character or something, wouldn't it have been way more prudent to have saved it for the actual primaries/election? And if they wanted to impeach Obama they have actual provable things they could use, even hypocritically. All this seems to be doing is ensuring that the issue is settled for all but the most rabid of Republican voters by repeatedly crying wolf. Is this really just an attempt to stir up crazies for the midterms?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

fool_of_sound posted:

What do Republicans really expect to gain from keeping Benghazi in the news? If they want to use it to assassinate Hillary's character or something, wouldn't it have been way more prudent to have saved it for the actual primaries/election? And if they wanted to impeach Obama they have actual provable things they could use, even hypocritically. All this seems to be doing is ensuring that the issue is settled for all but the most rabid of Republican voters by repeatedly crying wolf. Is this really just an attempt to stir up crazies for the midterms?

Their hate machine is fueled by kneejerk reactions. They have nothing, that cannot be slung back onto them, to pin on Obama. Also helps that their crazy asshat tea party wing will primary anyone out who doesn't constantly beat the anti-Obama drums.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

fool_of_sound posted:

Is this really just an attempt to stir up crazies for the midterms?

Yep, though I can't see how Obamacare horror stories wouldn't be getting the job done since they all seem to exist in their own special ontological realm.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

fool_of_sound posted:

What do Republicans really expect to gain from keeping Benghazi in the news? If they want to use it to assassinate Hillary's character or something, wouldn't it have been way more prudent to have saved it for the actual primaries/election? And if they wanted to impeach Obama they have actual provable things they could use, even hypocritically. All this seems to be doing is ensuring that the issue is settled for all but the most rabid of Republican voters by repeatedly crying wolf.

You might recall back then this was more specifically the GOP Rebuilding thread that one of the core questions we spent a huge amount of time on was the fundamental quandary the GOP finds itself in these days: the demographic it can reliably win is shrinking, but it cannot broaden its base without alienating its current supporters since they've been so radicalized by years/decades of dog-whistle (and outright) racism, misogyny, and other right-wing shrieking. Not only that, but this has gone on so long that they no longer can get away with just rabble-rousing around election times, but have to periodically do something to appease the howling maniacs that make up the base, lest the party descend into a full-on civil war.

Benghazi is the something they're stuck on, because superficially it should be the long-awaiting presidency-ruining scandal they've been waiting for since 2008.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

As mentioned previously, it's partly about attaching a vaguely defined cloud of 'she may have done something wrong' to Hilary, at least when you're talking about whatever high-level strategy remains in the GOP.

More realistically, it's because Benghazi is what the base of primary voters wants them focusing on. Even this year there have been threatened boycotts of Fox News by right wing groups for not covering Benghazi enough.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The-Mole posted:

A Kal statue would be incredible.

If you mean Kali, I'd be wholeheartedly behind that, even if we had to go with some fusion of the Goddess Of gently caress It poo poo Can't Possibly Get Worse popular among the Indian ultra-poor, and the portrayal by noted documentarian Indiana Jones.

Although really, it's not like you can tell the nerd background of the rationale from the statue most of the time anyway. Maybe add a tasteful plaque.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

fool_of_sound posted:

What do Republicans really expect to gain from keeping Benghazi in the news? If they want to use it to assassinate Hillary's character or something, wouldn't it have been way more prudent to have saved it for the actual primaries/election?

Ken Starr was appointed in 1994 and the investigation into Whitewater/Filegate/Travelgate/Vince Foster had already been going on for years by that time. His report came out in 1998. The great thing about this for Republicans: if Hillary is the next President they can just keep right on investigating and see where it all leads.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Benghazi is the something they're stuck on, because superficially it should be the long-awaiting presidency-ruining scandal they've been waiting for since 2008.

At this point, it's like a hybrid of the Clinton impeachment and the Swiftboat Truthers. New media makes both strategies obselete, but they're cargo-culting pretty much everything else so why not do it for attacks, I guess?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I can't wait for Republicans to try and subpoena Goons and players from EVE to discover what really happened on 9/11.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shbobdb posted:

I can't wait for Republicans to try and subpoena Goons and players from EVE to discover what really happened on 9/11.
Do they have to pay for your travel and housing if you get subpoena'd?

If this is the case I am fully prepared to reveal the truth about Benghazi to Darrell Issa.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 2, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

To goatse Daryl Issa irl.....:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

zoux posted:

To goatse Daryl Issa irl.....:allears:

"We know how deep this hole goes, Mr. Issa, and you can be sure we won't rest until America has seen what lies inside."

• Locked thread