Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Sir Rolo posted:

:wtc:

Am I... Am I being sent Birther / Metal Gear conspiracy fan-fiction?

So... Soetoro is Solid, Osama is Liquid, and Obama is Solidus?

Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
So Hitler got a hold of eugenics technology, and decided to create some black dudes?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Keep fighting the good fight, K.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

So Hitler got a hold of eugenics technology, and decided to create some black dudes?

Yeah, Nazi Germany was clearly the final source of racism. Knowing it would fall, he decided to ruin the inevitable browner European-based nations, generations later. Also, Hitler saw all whiteys as playing for the same team. Also, Hitler's clones can be both Kenyan and Syrian+Yemeni. Obama curiously has no extended family in this timeline.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I'm pretty sure that's just a Metal Gear troll to see how far it gets in the fwd:fwd:fwd circles.

99% sure, anyway

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Augster posted:

:negative: Just what can you say to something like that?

That is common sense. If women got paid less for the same work they'd get hired more often than men.

The problem is that he's misunderstanding the statistic. The statistic doesn't mean that women get paid less for the same work, it's that they are less likely than men to have higher-paying jobs.

Angry Tiny Man
Feb 26, 2007

Is there some Benghazi mega-post around? Since this news-story popped up, a whole bunch of conspiracy idiocy has started floating around my Facebook feed.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MisterBadIdea posted:

That is common sense. If women got paid less for the same work they'd get hired more often than men.

The problem is that he's misunderstanding the statistic. The statistic doesn't mean that women get paid less for the same work, it's that they are less likely than men to have higher-paying jobs.

To be fair, proponents of equal pay often imply, if not assert, his interpretation when mentioning the 77% figure.

I've seen 95% thrown around as the "pay for same work" gap, and for what it's worth women's unemployment is about 5% lower than men's.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Benghazi stuff is dangerously close to finally separating Reality-based Communities from Truthiness-based Communities. Media is already segregated, but in the near future, our racist uncles might actually phase into Earth 2a.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm seeing calls for bringing back public hangings and stake burning from the botched lethal injection. People are loving nuts.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'm seeing calls for bringing back public hangings and stake burning from the botched lethal injection. People are loving nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocKFSLsZnUo

These people are sick never forget.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

AShamefulDisplay posted:

OP is some girl I knew in High School.
Al Fredo is me.
No idea who these other people are.
TL;DR: I get into a facebook argument with someone who opposes the Seattle minimum wage increase. I try get my points across. This lady gets all pissy and starts attacking my education. She inadvertently supports my point because she doesn't understand how social sciences work.

Enjoy.

AAAAaaand now she's ranting about Unions.

edit fixed my fuckups.

"All statistics can be biased" is basically just outright saying you aren't going to be convinced by any evidence contrary to your preconceived position. At that point you may as well just wrap it up and outright say they are wrong and also immoral in their selfishness because all the studies or data in the world won't sway them.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
One of my firefighting cohorts shared this link on facebook without comment:
http://freedominthe50states.org/
Freedom in the 50 states! Let's see what they have to say about my home state of Wisconsin:

FREEEEEEDOM!!!!!!!! posted:

Analysis

Wisconsin has slipped slightly since the last edition of the index and is now just outside the bottom 10. However, this is one state that may already be improving due to legislative changes since the data cutoff for this study. For example, Governor Scott Walker and the state legislature have agreed to budget cuts in education and other areas, while passing Act 10—which aims to limit the bargaining power of public employee unions (though it is unclear whether this law will survive legal challenges). A study by the Wisconsin-based MacIver Institute for Public Policy argues that Act 10 has already saved taxpayers $2 billion.1 Therefore, Wisconsin’s rank is likely to improve in the next edition of Freedom in the 50 States.

Wisconsin ranks near the bottom in economic freedom, due primarily to its poor fiscal policy. Wisconsin’s overall tax burden is very high, as are individual income and property taxes. State spending and debt are roughly average. However, its benefit payments are quite high, as is its level of transportation spending. Moreover, Wisconsin government employment is quite large relative to the private workforce.

Wisconsin fares a lot better in regulatory policy, ranking 15th. It is slightly worse than average in terms of land-use regulation but has passed some eminent domain reforms. Wisconsin’s labor market freedom, occupational freedom, health insurance freedom, and liability system are mediocre. It is not (yet) a right-to-work state, but has avoided mandating a minimum wage above the federal average or requiring employers to buy short-term disability insurance. Wisconsin does not have community rating (though there are small-group rate bands) or rate reviews. Wisconsin has also deregulated cable and telecom. It does quite well in terms of insurance rate filing requirements. However, it is almost a standard deviation worse than the mean on occupational licensing.

Wisconsin performs below average in a number of personal freedom categories. The state has high victimless crimes arrest rates, though its drug enforcement rate is below average. It has the worst gaming laws in the country (social gambling is not allowed) and almost the strictest campaign finance laws. The state also performs below average on gun freedom and travel freedom. Home schools are regulated with some onerous notification requirements. Wisconsin has some of the best alcohol laws in the country, with taxes fairly low across the board. However, its cigarette taxes are very high and smoking bans are extensive. Wisconsin recently enacted a domestic partnership law. Its asset forfeiture laws score well (over one standard deviation better than average).

Policy Recommendations
- Reduce the income tax burden while continuing to cut back spending through cuts in government employment and public employee benefits.
- Pass a right-to-work law, whenever political conditions so allow.

- Reform tobacco and marijuana regulations, using the state’s alcohol-friendly beer, wine, and spirits regulations as a model.
Essentially, Wisconsin lacks "freedom" because they collect enough in taxes to pay for a nice set of services and to provide their public employees with a decent wage and benefit package. Also, they don't allow unchecked gambling, gun ownership, or corruption. The horror! However, they do get points for specifically barring teachers from collectively bargaining. How do these folks define freedom? I'm glad you asked:

From their FAQ posted:

How do you define freedom?

We ground our conception of freedom on an individual rights framework. In our view, individuals should be allowed to dispose of their lives, liberties, and property as they see fit, so long as they do not infringe on the rights of others. This understanding of freedom follows from the natural-rights liberal thought of John Locke, Immanuel Kant, and Robert Nozick, but it is also consistent with the rights-generating rule-utilitarianism of Herbert Spencer and others.
:cripes:

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

quote:

Ooops, Can I say that?

Have you ever wondered why it's OK to make jokes about Catholics, the Pope, Jews, Christians, the Irish, the Italians, the Polish, the Chinese, the French (including French Canadians) etc, but its insensitive to make jokes about Muslims? We need to level the playing field for the sake of political correctness.....Jeff Foxworthy on Muslims:

1.. If you refine heroin for a living, but you have a moral objection to liquor,
You may be a Muslim.

2.. If you own a $3,000 machine gun and a $5,000 rocket launcher, but you can't afford shoes, You may be a Muslim.

3.. If you have more wives than teeth,
You may be a Muslim.

4.. If you wipe your butt with your bare hand but consider bacon to be unclean,
You may be a Muslim.

5.. If you think vests come in two styles: Bullet-proof and suicide.
You may be a Muslim

6.. If you can't think of anyone you haven't declared jihad against,
You may be a Muslim.

7.. If you consider television dangerous but routinely carry explosives in your clothing,
You may be a Muslim.

8.. If you were amazed to discover that cell phones have uses other than setting off roadside bombs, You may be a Muslim.

9.. If you have nothing against women and think every man should own at least four,
You may be a Muslim.

10. If you find this offensive and don't forward it,
You may be a Muslim.

Not much, run of the mill mild racist humor.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lemma posted:

Going by that list I'd say it's not ok to make fun of Muslims because it isn't funny.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

sweart gliwere posted:

Yeah, Nazi Germany was clearly the final source of racism. Knowing it would fall, he decided to ruin the inevitable browner European-based nations, generations later. Also, Hitler saw all whiteys as playing for the same team. Also, Hitler's clones can be both Kenyan and Syrian+Yemeni. Obama curiously has no extended family in this timeline.

Since graduation, Barry Soetoro has returned to the Indonesian countryside to smoke opium and practice silat and witchcraft.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

Lemma posted:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/humor/foxworthy.asp

Yeah that's some pretty lazy poo poo.

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity

MisterBadIdea posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I under his understanding of the pay gap he'd still be wrong, primarily because the pay gap would not be a result of the market value of women simply being lower, but because women would be passed over for raises (also, it might not be possible to hire a same-gender workforce.) Women wouldn't have to be "cheaper" to get paid less, is what I'm suggesting.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lemma posted:

So its okay to make fun of jews and the chinese, now?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ErIog posted:

Nah, that's easy. It's almost always spite.

One of the very first comments in most of these is about how the person posting had to work their asses off to get to $15 an hour.

People have really skewed ideas of what is right being based on what they perceive as being "fair."

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Nevvy Z posted:

One of the very first comments in most of these is about how the person posting had to work their asses off to get to $15 an hour.

People have really skewed ideas of what is right being based on what they perceive as being "fair."

The OP came back into the discussion saying how she was too drunk to read everything and was going to bed.

This morning she posted a status about how she called into work "sick" this morning. I was tempted to point out that if she had been working at a minimum wage job she wouldn't have had the luxury to call in sick when she was hungover, so maybe they do deserve to make more than her. Decided against it.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Time to read Zinn posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I under his understanding of the pay gap he'd still be wrong, primarily because the pay gap would not be a result of the market value of women simply being lower, but because women would be passed over for raises (also, it might not be possible to hire a same-gender workforce.) Women wouldn't have to be "cheaper" to get paid less, is what I'm suggesting.

Also the whole idea is inconsistent. The point is that women are paid less than men because of a combination of subconscious sexism and the assumption that they will be worse workers than men. The idea that women should be overwhelmingly better-employed suggests that hiring managers are consciously thinking "women are equally as good as men, but I can pay them less because of sexism. Great, let's hire as many as possible!"

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Every "you might be" list is attributed to Foxworthy, just as every song parody is attributed to Weird Al. Say what you want about Foxworthy, but there's no way he'd ever say something that disgusting (the main complaint against him, after all, is that he's bland and inoffensive).

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jurgan posted:

Every "you might be" list is attributed to Foxworthy, just as every song parody is attributed to Weird Al. Say what you want about Foxworthy, but there's no way he'd ever say something that disgusting (the main complaint against him, after all, is that he's bland and inoffensive).

The problem here isn't who said it but that that sort of thing gets passed around as some sort of pinnacle of wisdom. Granted, this is also a group of people that believe such statements as "1 in every 20 Muslims is a terrorist."

Yup, definitely 75,000,000 Muslim terrorists in the world, just waiting in line for their chance to blow something American up. That number absolutely makes perfect sense.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

I always wonder what kind of persons make those mails from scratch. I sincerely fear for their mental well-being. What manner of personality disorders are at the source of such nutjob conspiracy theories?

This has to be tongue in cheek. It has to be. The idea that someone legitimately believes in this cross of Metal Gear and Real life is too much for me.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

E-Tank posted:

This has to be tongue in cheek. It has to be. The idea that someone legitimately believes in this cross of Metal Gear and Real life is too much for me.

I get the idea that, if the creator was asked, it's even odds on this either being a parody, or the creator just dumbfoundedly looking at you for a few seconds before responding with a completely sincere question of his own.

"...Metal Gear?"

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Regalingualius posted:

I get the idea that, if the creator was asked, it's even odds on this either being a parody, or the creator just dumbfoundedly looking at you for a few seconds before responding with a completely sincere question of his own.

"...Metal Gear?"

I never played any of those games, but this chat makes me wish I had. Are they available for PC or would it be a chore of hunting down old consoles and scratched-up discs? I know Kojima has a rep for relative subversity within a cheesy-as-hell industry, would playing any of those be worth my time?

e: don't get me wrong, had plenty of guys mention the series offhandedly. just never had a chance to dick around with the games

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

sweart gliwere posted:

I never played any of those games, but this chat makes me wish I had. Are they available for PC or would it be a chore of hunting down old consoles and scratched-up discs? I know Kojima has a rep for relative subversity within a cheesy-as-hell industry, would playing any of those be worth my time?

e: don't get me wrong, had plenty of guys mention the series offhandedly. just never had a chance to dick around with the games

Kojima does a lot of things right, but the games are also known for incredibly overwrought kitchen sink writing, being the poster child for overlong serial cutscenes, and for really really big gender problems.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

sweart gliwere posted:

The first "modern" game in the series is Metal Gear Solid and frankly is a perfectly acceptable entry point into the series. Because it was on the first Playstation, it can be emulated pretty easily. It got a PC release but no one ever talks about it so I assume it's hard to set up.

After that it gets tricky. MGS2 and 3 are on Playstation 2 and MGS4 is on Playstation 3. There is however an HD collection for MGS2 and 3 on XBox 360 and PS3 so if you got a PS3 you could knock them all out fairly easily.

If it's worth your time? Yes. The Metal Gear Solid games are amazing.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

The first "modern" game in the series is Metal Gear Solid and frankly is a perfectly acceptable entry point into the series. Because it was on the first Playstation, it can be emulated pretty easily. It got a PC release but no one ever talks about it so I assume it's hard to set up.

After that it gets tricky. MGS2 and 3 are on Playstation 2 and MGS4 is on Playstation 3. There is however an HD collection for MGS2 and 3 on XBox 360 and PS3 so if you got a PS3 you could knock them all out fairly easily.

If it's worth your time? Yes. The Metal Gear Solid games are amazing.

I thought it had the original too.

Also if you have a gamecube you can play the remake, Metal Gear solid: The Twin Snakes.

It's beautifully overacted at times and hammy to a fault. As well as throwing in some silly bullet time slo-mo bullshit, but it's still basically the same game, just even more ridiculous. *Somehow*.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Cool. I'll split the difference and watch a couple hours of Let's Play youtube poo poo. Deux Ex: HR was enough to make my withdrawal from gaming pretty concrete, though Alpha Protocol hasn't been finished yet. May as well just observe the scene and check reviews, then save any cash+effort for special stuff.

I hope less-horrible dudes like Kojima keep getting cash, and evolve in their views, but there must be younger workers with better views accomplishing stuff. The Cat and Coup programmer put out a game recently and one of the questions actually made me tear up a bit. I want more of that, I want that stuff to be mainstream. Being a macho dickhead, shooting other macho dickheads, is boring, if you aren't young or retarded. Bring it on, I'm ready.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

If you're gonna watch LPs of it, go with SA's very own Chipcheezum for it.

...I can't help but feel we may have gone slightly off-topic. And of course the usual crazies on my feed are silent. :saddowns:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Do you really think on topic is good? I wish we could just ignore all this poo poo and keep talking about Metal Gear.

This Week in LL101!

How in the poo poo could 2068 votes spread over 12 different election periods help anyone?

Remember when they used to actually base these things on something? Yeah, neither do I.

"But don't you see? Obama ACTUALLY IS HITLER! What do you mean everyone who says that thinks they're right, and that's why the law was suggested? THIS TIME WE'RE RIGHT!"

I like how 'being compassionate' and 'I support what the party does' aren't the same thing. Almost as if Republicans can't fathom willingly supporting compassion to their fellow man.....

"Just shovel any cheap crap into your mouth if you're hungry. Proper diet? The gently caress is that?"

Yeah, pretty much. A good image macro, I guess. 1 for 769, but still.

Facing consequences for your actions from a private corporation? GOVERNMENT TYRANNY!

Forbidding people to associate with anyone of a certain colour - "sorta racist"

Ah yes, because all those charitable business owners are keeping those extra employees on out of the goodness of their hearts, who would be forced to let all his excess employees go if minimum wage got higher. Also, somehow making immigrants legal would make them work for less, despite immigrants only working at below minimum wage levels because business owners can threaten them with deportation, because

Well its evidently loving working given how insane these people have gotten about it.

If Brown people are ignoring the law, we should be allowed to as well. Also, hang all the brown people for breaking the law!

The actual punchline is "it a gigantic pain in the rear end, and in the end, its clearly full of poo poo."

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

But that defeats the entire purpose of toilet paper. :psyduck:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

The actual punchline is "it a gigantic pain in the rear end, and in the end, its clearly full of poo poo."

If it doesn't take crap off of anyone, doesn't that make it *really* bad toilet paper?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Fulchrum posted:

How in the poo poo could 2068 votes spread over 12 different election periods help anyone?
While we're at it, let's go ahead and ignore (conservative leaning) absentee ballot fraud, even though it's far more prevalent than in-person voter fraud.

Fulchrum posted:

If Brown people are ignoring the law, we should be allowed to as well. Also, hang all the brown people for breaking the law!
I love when conservatives pretend that the Obama administration isn't tougher on immigration than even Bush was.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 3, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

E-Tank posted:

If it doesn't take crap off of anyone, doesn't that make it *really* bad toilet paper?

That's an appropriation of an old joke about bad toilet paper; it's called "John Wayne toilet paper" because it is rough, tough, and doesn't take poo poo off of anyone.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

Do you really think on topic is good? I wish we could just ignore all this poo poo and keep talking about Metal Gear.

This Week in LL101!

I'm a little lost here.

Like...does this person not understand why people go hungry? It's like literally Let_them_eat_cake.jpg.

Christ...I've rarely had a moment where I've not been able to feed myself by any stretch of the imagination and even I can at least understand why someone would go hungry.

My dad has told me stories about it when he was in college, my mom has told me stories about it when she was kicked out of her house, My grandparents told me stories from the "Great Depression".

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Man, LL101 couldn't even go two macros without basically defending Sterling, which is probably why the whole secret Democrat angle never caught on. It's almost like conservatives are incapable of not defending racism, even when no one is asking them to and it won't actually benefit them in anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Sir Rolo posted:

:wtc:

Metal Gear?!

Because I couldn't pass this up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRpO7GmVK-w