Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I frequently don't bother to fast forward.

I will if it's something a particularly engrossed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Charming Goat
Sep 5, 2012
Late but is/was there a thread where people were talking about Lindsay on OWN? Interested.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

zoux posted:

Yeah I get Irish Joe on a level none of the worthless philistines in this thread could ever hope to grasp.

The Troy to Irish Joe's Abed.

Awesome. He'll hate that description. :stoke:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ashpanash posted:

The Troy to Irish Joe's Abed.

Does this make Occupation the Britta?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rarity posted:

Does this make Occupation the Britta?

I think he's more like the Chang. I'm the Britta.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DivisionPost posted:

I think he's more like the Chang. I'm the Britta.

I went with Occupation because he's the worst :colbert:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

That's cute, you think people buy things for their functionality and not for glamour / as a status symbol. I just wanna pinch your cheeks!

I laugh so hard every time my shithead coworker's ugly Audi is a piece of poo poo money hole. So ads are good for something. Ironically that something is schadenfreude at people buying hilariously overpriced German status symbol cars that are garbage and also dirt common.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

e: wrong thread

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

I'm the Britta.

That doesn't make sense on any level!

Wait, are we doing self-loathing or circle-jerking? I'm not really a fan of either.

That awful Heavy Metal Hurlant show is on in a few minutes. Will trip report.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

precision posted:

That doesn't make sense on any level!

Wait, are we doing self-loathing or circle-jerking? I'm not really a fan of either.

That awful Heavy Metal Hurlant show is on in a few minutes. Will trip report.

I want to watch this show. I'm thinking it's a sci-fi version of Krod Mandoon, but I'm not sure if it takes itself seriously or if it's all just a parody of scifi.

The special effects seem worse than in the short-lived 2002 series Galidor.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 3, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't actually know enough about the old Heavy Metal magazine to know if it's deliberate parody, but some of these shots sure look like it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The episode "Second Chances" (the one up at 11:30) was one of the most AMAZINGLY horrible things I've ever seen.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

PootieTang posted:

If that's the show I'm thinking of (set in Ireland?) then be warned before you check it out that it's a fair bit disappointing. It's no-where near garbage, it's well produced, acted and (in certain ways) well written. It just really, really exceeds it's grasp. That and it suffers from a weird problem I see in European shows, where they try too hard it comes off as really self-congratulating and pretentious.

Like I said don't get me wrong, it's not bad but it's no-where near as good as it thinks it is. The best parts are the main lady giving speeches, which are usually great. Everything else though suffers from really bad decisions, though it might be a lot more forgivable if you're used to just watching American stuff.

I agree about Gillian Anderson being the best part of the show. Except her final speech when she was on the phone to the serial killer. It was so lame to have the payoff to the whole thing be her yelling the show's themes at the bad guy. I do agree about it being pretentious and overreaching too, especially considering a show like Top of the Lake came out right around the same time and did everything this show thought it was doing so well so much better.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maxwell Lord posted:

When you fast forward through the ads you still usually see the brands and the imagery and that's 90% of the job right there. Studies have shown this, that ads seen in 2x still make an impression.

They don't let us fast forward past these. Someone invent ad block for live tv.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Just think, pop-up video really set a terrible precedent, didn't it? Collectively we ate that poo poo up.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\I'm just waiting for the day when someone on Big Bang Theory or whatever show says "Hey guys, check out this trailer for the new Marvel movie!" and then they play the whole thing right in the middle of the show.

I've been known to purchase new products after seeing an ad for them. I have a box of those Cheese-it ranch psudo cracker things at home (they're pretty good, actually).

I've never changed something I buy regularly based on an advertisement, though. Pepsi's ads will never convince me to drink it instead of Coca-Cola.

When watching timeshifted content I usually skip through ads (I love the 30 second skip button on my TiVO) but I will sometimes to go back and watch them if something catches my ears/eyes. The Gary Busey Kindle TV ad and the iPad ad where they're playing Gigantic, for instance. I'll never buy an iPad or Kindle TV though, so I can't say that the ads I choose to watch have any effect on me beyond distracting me from my TV show for 30 seconds at a time.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 3, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Mu Zeta posted:

They don't let us fast forward past these. Someone invent ad block for live tv.

Don't those kind of ads have some kind of ridiculous name like "intrusions" or something or other? I can't remember the term specifically but when I was told it at the time it was the most ridiculous poo poo ever.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The animated ones are my favorite for how utterly desperate they seem. I mean it's literally just those lovely, expanding flash ads but on your TV where you can't avoid/block/close them.

If you love the macabre, brutal violence of Hannibal, you'll love the Today Show's new series about teens taking pictures of themselves! What a perfect match!

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

VDay posted:

The animated ones are my favorite for how utterly desperate they seem. I mean it's literally just those lovely, expanding flash ads but on your TV where you can't avoid/block/close them.

If you love the macabre, brutal violence of Hannibal, you'll love the Today Show's new series about teens taking pictures of themselves! What a perfect match!

I thought you were joking, but i just rewatched the part and it's really an advert for something called 'Love your selfie'. Also the ads just ended 30s earlier, why wouldnt they put it in there instead of annoying everyone that watched the show?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Because people skip past the ads.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

VDay posted:

Hannibal, brought to you by JJ Abrams.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I haven't seen this show, just caught the clip a while back, but I thought this ad graphic made all the annoying ones worth it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frla2-tn3U0

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Has anyone been watching Californication this season. I'm about to start and want to know on a scale of 1-10 how much of a waste of time is it. 10 being the biggest waste of time.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I like this parody of these animated ads:

American Sword Cooks is totally a show I would watch.

Edit: vvvv Coca-Cola has been around since 1886. Advertising then was fine, but it's established its market. And now I get that advertising is purely for controlling it's brand image, but it's not like anyone is just now discovering coca-cola through its commercials. I've seen coca cola in rural africa and tiny villages in India while traveling. It's everywhere because distribution is high and production cost is low. That's why everyone today knows it exists. Not because of advertising.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 3, 2014

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ravane posted:

I don't even know why certain companies bother to advertise. Everyone knows Coca-Cola exists, why do we need to see a coca-cola commercial?

I think it's hilarious that you point out that everyone knows Coca-Cola exists, without thinking about why everyone knows it exists.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Snipes are the reason why I'm going to eventually go digital distribution. I can buy the shows on Google Play the day after they air and they are free of ads, logos and all other forms of fuckary.

I'm not sure how long that will last, but the option is there for now.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

bull3964 posted:

Snipes are the reason why I'm going to eventually go digital distribution. I can buy the shows on Google Play the day after they air and they are free of ads, logos and all other forms of fuckary.

I'm not sure how long that will last, but the option is there for now.

This is why I buy a few shows that air on crowded nights on iTunes every year.

Usually not Fox or FX shows though since a little while back they decided to start putting 2 minutes of ads at the front and back of all their episodes :kratos:

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

CaptainHollywood posted:

Has anyone been watching Californication this season. I'm about to start and want to know on a scale of 1-10 how much of a waste of time is it. 10 being the biggest waste of time.

I made it half way into the second episode before just giving up. It isn't worth it even for a completion viewing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ravane posted:

Edit: vvvv Coca-Cola has been around since 1886. Advertising then was fine, but it's established its market. And now I get that advertising is purely for controlling it's brand image, but it's not like anyone is just now discovering coca-cola through its commercials. I've seen coca cola in rural africa and tiny villages in India while traveling. It's everywhere because distribution is high and production cost is low. That's why everyone today knows it exists. Not because of advertising.

Your point isn't completely clueless. I think it's probably true that a company like Coke could cut their ad budget literally in half by simply advertising on alternate weeks. If that really had a noticeable effect on their sales - enough to offset the massive savings anyway - I'd be surprised.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

precision posted:

Your point isn't completely clueless. I think it's probably true that a company like Coke could cut their ad budget literally in half by simply advertising on alternate weeks. If that really had a noticeable effect on their sales - enough to offset the massive savings anyway - I'd be surprised.

Yeah, no. Coca-Cola's marketing budget is as big as it because the company is engaged in the advertorial equivalent of trench warfare. Those big flashy national prime time spots are a drop in the bucket next to what they do on the local level every day.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
:stare:
The Review episode Pancakes, Divorce, Pancakes is possibly one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen. I don't know if I've ever laughed uncontrollably and yet at the same time been completely terrified before.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

How come the link thread isn't stickied? Trying to find The Idiot Abroad thread and I can't seem to find it.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
You should make a thread that links to the link thread.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You fool, I would have to make a link thread to my link thread to the link thread. Forever.

The events foretold in the Necronomicon will finally come to pass.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Spatula City posted:

The Review episode Pancakes, Divorce, Pancakes is possibly one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen. I don't know if I've ever laughed uncontrollably and yet at the same time been completely terrified before.

It pains me that so many people haven't seen Sex House.

I know Review is on an actual channel, but it's nowhere near as good, also the finale was really disappointing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

IRQ posted:

It pains me that so many people haven't seen Sex House.

I know Review is on an actual channel, but it's nowhere near as good, also the finale was really disappointing.

I feel like the odd one out because after Going into Space I kind of gave up on Review. The laughs just weren't there for me any more, and it had become too predictable and cartoony to work as dark humor.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

PriorMarcus posted:

I feel like the odd one out because after Going into Space I kind of gave up on Review. The laughs just weren't there for me any more, and it had become too predictable and cartoony to work as dark humor.

I felt the same way at some point, not sure if it was that episode, but at some point the formula held it back by starting every episode fresh rather than building (enough) upon what happened before. It didn't compound like Sex House or Porkin' Across the USA did, and the ending was a total fizzle.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

T minutes 12 minutes until the Mayweather vs. Maidana fight. :suspense:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I flipped on CNN as they're covering The White House Correspondents Dinner. Don Lemon and the other two guys at the news desk were wearing tuxes and "having their own version of the dinner" by sitting there eating bags of chips on camera.

I can't think of a better allegory for CNN's approach to journalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I saw that too. It was hilarious, watching these grown men in tuxedos sitting talking about how much they love Cheetos.

• Locked thread