Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Your Computer posted:

Update on this, I caved in and bought the Proteus 1/2/3, Orbit, Planet Phatt pack. ALL the cheesy old samples :3:

Had to give it a spin:
http://tindeck.com/listen/gokf

You magnificent bastard. :3: It makes me recall the days of 90s computer game soundtracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Your Computer posted:

It shouldn't be this hard to just use some soundfont files :(

It should be, because soundfonts are archaic (seriously, they're a format from 1994, when most people were still using DOS) as gently caress and pretty much bush league in terms of sample library formats - they were originally made for the SoundBlaster AWE cards, they're not even remotely a professional studio format, and there's not a lot of high quality soundfont packs out there; it's the sample library equivalent of General MIDI (and was largely developed to give ROMpler style GM support to SoundBlaster cards). The format was also never publically released by Creative Labs, so most players and SFZ creation apps are reverse engineered kludges that don't always get the format 100% correct. The reason it's popular at all is because you could make soundfonts for free using CL's software and use your SB AWE/SB Live as a poor-man's sampler - probably the only sampler you can afford if you're a kid in high school or college on a ramen budget, but not really something worth getting them if you can find it in some other format like Akai/E-MU/Kontakt. There's a reason all the big sample libraries use Kontakt these days - it's hands down the best sampler you can get.

Hate to say it, but it's gonna be rough as poo poo trying to get those to work with a modern 64bit DAW, but I wish you good luck in your attempts.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HotCanadianChick posted:

It should be *and stuff*

I know you're right, but at the same time; people have had 20 years to make one that works :v:

Anyway, I got it to work!
Manually editing the Proteus 2/Orchestral soundfont and painstakingly going through the 127 sounds, moving them between soundbanks (I noticed the second soundbank wasn't affected), I found the culprit at spot 113. Removing this aptly named "Strange Triangle" sound, and everything's working using DSK SF2.

e: holy poo poo I've been at this for over 2 hours. So glad I finally fixed it. Now to make some more delicious N64 sounds :neckbeard:

e2: It's LITERALLY the source of all my favourite sounds ohmygod http://tindeck.com/listen/nkbh

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 4, 2014

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Your Computer posted:

I know you're right, but at the same time; people have had 20 years to make one that works :v:

Anyway, I got it to work!
Manually editing the Proteus 2/Orchestral soundfont and painstakingly going through the 127 sounds, moving them between soundbanks (I noticed the second soundbank wasn't affected), I found the culprit at spot 113. Removing this aptly named "Strange Triangle" sound, and everything's working using DSK SF2.

e: holy poo poo I've been at this for over 2 hours. So glad I finally fixed it. Now to make some more delicious N64 sounds :neckbeard:

e2: It's LITERALLY the source of all my favourite sounds ohmygod http://tindeck.com/listen/nkbh

So for posterity: which plugin worked for you?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sofullofhate posted:

So for posterity: which plugin worked for you?

As in the post, DSK SF2!

Non-horrible looking interface, working ADSR, no menu-diving to get to sounds, sounds displayed in a grid rather than a list.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Still not really getting what you mean by that, because essentially the amplitude envelope in TX16Wx works for me. It's just not loaded right from an SF2. I couldn't find confirmation that is was a paying feature somehow, it just seems a bug in the implementation to me. I got reminders about all the other paying features, but not that.

It's all totally moot, because the plugin half crashed when I reloaded my project and then couldn't even open an SF2 anymore without error messages until I restarted Cubase and a new instance, so gently caress that noise. But it bothers me that I'm not sure what you mean.

e. Well gently caress me, DSK_SF2 doesn't load envelope settings from my SF2 either!

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 4, 2014

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Beat.de Zampler?

[edit: oops, looks like it's only sfz]

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 4, 2014

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Startyde posted:

What's this hating on the '27? Shameful.

:respek:

I love my DX. It's like the go to unit for cheap sounds, and if you slap some drive on it's a pretty solid bass machine as well.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
A little Shruthi workout with my dusty Monotribe. Finished the build and put it in the fancy case last night:

This thing is merveilleux!

Closeup shot:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Nice! I bet it sounds better with the wood sides.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Turns out I have an additional license for EzDrummer Lite, and it can only be used to get the $70 discount on full EzDrummer for the next day or two (they're dropping "Lite" support on the 6th). If you're interested in getting a discount on EzDrummer 2 (which you'll get upon its release if you upgrade your Lite license to full EzDrummer 1), PM me for the code. Basically, you make a Toontrack account, register the "Lite" code, and then buy EzDrummer 1 using the "Lite Upgrade" option. When EzD 2 comes out this week you'll automatically be upgraded. (I happened to do this while they were in the middle of site updates and accidentally was able to download EzDrummer 2... but at the moment it's not available until the 6th.)

Back on topic, hooked up the Pulse 2 and Rocket yesterday. The Pulse 2's signal is really hot compared to the Blofeld (and as far as I can tell they both have unbalanced outs); I have the Blofeld cranked to 127 at all times, but had to dial the Pulse back to 64 to keep it from overloading my interface inputs. I used Waldorf's SPECTRE program to upgrade the firmware of both the Pulse and the Rocket.

The Rocket is physically bigger than I expected; it's about 2/3 the width of the Pulse and Blofeld and its top surface is as high as their tallest points. It's quite fun to play with. The lack of a display and preset slots is a frustration, but the sound is pretty impressive. Some of the pots do different things depending on switch settings and range. This is the first subtractive style synth I've ever used where I am sometimes completely surprised at the sound that happens when I change a setting. It's very odd, but also potentially inspiring. I just bought the Monstrum Media rocket editor that I can hopefully use for storing patches. The synth is sort of restrictive by design- for example, you need to choose whether to have LFO->OSC, LFO->VCF, or use the Arp. It's almost a game to see how much you can squeak out of it based on the strange decisions you have to make. But the sound is really interesting... especially the filter. This is a synth that was made to be automated.

EDIT: The Rocket editor I bought has proven... quirky. (I really just wanted to use it as a way to store and recall patches I design on the synth.) Have had some back/forth with the dev about it. Will have to give it some more time before I can judge whether it's useful.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 5, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Has anyone heard a good A/B of the TB-3/TB-303? Muffs is bitching about the resonance squelch but I don't know if it's them being sperglords. I'm probably going to let go of my 303 if the TB-3 is close enough because holy poo poo at the pice of mint 303s and also lol wafflehound.

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 5, 2014

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
There's a very digital, stepping sound at high resonance. There are also oddities with regard to the accent, env mod, cutoff, resonance interactions. I've seen/heard a few good A/B's that were posted as Facebook videos.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Has anyone heard a good A/B of the TB-3/TB-303? Muffs is bitching about the resonance squelch but I don't know if it's them being sperglords. I'm probably going to let go of my 303 if the TB-3 is close enough because holy poo poo at the pice of mint 303s and also lol wafflehound.

Sell it and get this.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

Sell it and get this.
C'mon man, that thing's gonna cost at least 4 Schmidts.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Dibs on the 303

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Has anyone tried the Bassbot clone? Seems like that would be the closest and I would hope it would outdo the TB-3. Price isn't too terrible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well I got the Mininova today. It's so much loving fun so far. The vocoder is especially fun because I've never had one before.

I haven't stopped playing with it since I got it, but I am right now to tell y'all that it has a screaming-type patch called "CowFrog" and it basically sounds like if those 2 animals tried to gently caress each other and the mic that was recording the sound was chained through a distortion pedal.

Okay, back to beeping and booping now.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Oh Novation, you magnificent bastards

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well I got the Mininova today. It's so much loving fun so far. The vocoder is especially fun because I've never had one before.

I haven't stopped playing with it since I got it, but I am right now to tell y'all that it has a screaming-type patch called "CowFrog" and it basically sounds like if those 2 animals tried to gently caress each other and the mic that was recording the sound was chained through a distortion pedal.

Okay, back to beeping and booping now.

Please record cowfrog, this sounds like something that would be awesome.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
The res thing sucks. Why Roland, why? :(

Fors Yard posted:

Has anyone tried the Bassbot clone? Seems like that would be the closest and I would hope it would outdo the TB-3. Price isn't too terrible.

It's pretty much perfect.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

net work error posted:

Please record cowfrog, this sounds like something that would be awesome.
Here you go. First there's some hot vocoder action and some "chubby bass", and then comes the main event: cows and frogs making love to each other passionately throughout the night.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

It's pretty much perfect.

So, besides more cash leftover and SCATTER why the TB-3 and not that?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I'm glad the atmegatron is sold out, I almost impulse bought it after seeing one demo of it.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Man, I know I got it for my baby daughter, but I'm developing a -serious- crush on this jx-3p/pg-200 combo. As long as you've got an arpegiator (or, I guess, a tiny sequencer) and a knobby subtractive, synth fun is never far off.
Really should just get another ax-60/s612 so the child can have the Roland and I won't get jealous.

So inspired that I cranked this thing out

Sizone fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 6, 2014

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

inferis posted:

I'm glad the atmegatron is sold out, I almost impulse bought it after seeing one demo of it.

It's slick, but I feel like the Shruthi is still queen of ATMega synths.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Traded my sammichSID and now I want a new kit to build. Is there anything cheap and fun lately?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Fors Yard posted:

So, besides more cash leftover and SCATTER why the TB-3 and not that?

More intuitive/jam-able and some of the alternative sounds are super usable?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Added a Juno 2 to the family today. Protip: you can never have too much Roland

Startyde posted:

Traded my sammichSID and now I want a new kit to build. Is there anything cheap and fun lately?

It's not quite a synth but I've been meaning to build this dual delay pedal for a while now, The Jellyfish: http://www.planktonelectronics.com/

The rest of my parts (a single voltage regulator, god drat self sourcing) for the 4PM are coming tomorrow, I can't wait to fire it up with the XT control surface. Speaking of Shruthi was anyone interested in buying my SMR-4?

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 6, 2014

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

It's not quite a synth but I've been meaning to build this dual delay pedal for a while now, The Jellyfish: http://www.planktonelectronics.com/

I'll scope it out when I get home but it's just a PT2399 deal, probably not too exciting. I've got a mess of BBDs I should be doing something with if I go the effects route.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Added a Juno 2 to the family today. Protip: you can never have too much Roland
Former Juno 1 owner (R.I.P.) current MKS-50 owner.

I think the Alpha Junos/MKS-50 are underrated. They're more than just hoover generators. The alpha dial makes the keyboards really easy to program (not FAST but easy), and when I listen through old tapes I made with my Juno-1 I clearly made a lot of use of inverted envelopes, which isn't a very common feature on HW/SW synths.

Only complaint is how the filter resonance cuts bass frequencies as much as it boosts at the cutoff. There is a bass boost feature, but if I remember right, it's mutually exclusive with some other settings, so not always available.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Fors Yard posted:

Mine came this morning! My first analogue/first hardware synth!

Came from France which is in Europe. It was supposed to be expedited delivery but apparently expedited in French translates as 'eleven days'.

£320 brand new. According to Cyclone it's classed as B-stock because there are a couple of scratches on the fascia but I swear you need an electron microscope to see them; they are about five atoms wide.

It sounds lovely and the build quality seems fine to me. I was going to get a TB-3 but for £320 (£100 less than in the shops) it was a no-brainer.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

More intuitive/jam-able and some of the alternative sounds are super usable?

Makes sense. I guess I have it so engrained that the 303 is sort of has a specific use/sound. I'll have to find someplace to mess around with the Aira series to see how I actually like it.

In other news, the TX81Z finally shipped. I was getting pretty certain he was trying to scam me (finally got back after a month: forgot I listed it. Then he was having trouble receiving payment saying he didn't see it, blah blah) But hopefully it all checks out when it arrives - only a suburb away, so less room for error. I need some FM.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Still lovin' me some FM. Owns bones for industrial tones. I just wish the DX7 let you modulate the operator ratio. My data slider is getting an awful lot of use as a performance control, and drat it sounds good.

Also marimbas.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Yeah, I'm looking forward. I haven't played with FM much, but this will give me a good variety of sounds/synthesis methods. I'm glad it's multitimbral, though I wish it allowed for a little more performance control with the interface. SH-101: VCO, JX-3P: DCO, TX81Z: FM, S1000 & TR-707: Sampling.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Here you go. First there's some hot vocoder action and some "chubby bass", and then comes the main event: cows and frogs making love to each other passionately throughout the night.

This is glorious. Definitely more frog than cow I hear, can that be edited?

As I was listening to this I got a bunch of alert messages from work so I think that enhanced the experience.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Radiapathy posted:

I think the Alpha Junos/MKS-50 are underrated. They're more than just hoover generators. The alpha dial makes the keyboards really easy to program (not FAST but easy), and when I listen through old tapes I made with my Juno-1 I clearly made a lot of use of inverted envelopes, which isn't a very common feature on HW/SW synths.

It isn't? My DW-8000, 106, and SH-32 all allow inverted envelopes. I think my JX-305 does as well; the only proper synth I have that doesn't have the option to invert the envelopes is my X-station (my X0Xbox doesn't count).

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So...what have you guys done with your equipment lately?
http://vimeo.com/93923609

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Oldstench posted:

Finally plugged it in properly after buying it in March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Oldstench posted:

Downloaded and started to mess with the free upgrade to the 2.0 software. I may not be super in love with my minibrute anymore, but the sparkLE went from being a decent piece of kit (but I was still looking at some VST's and maybe a sample trigger to fill the gaps) to being the only non-analogue drum machine I think I'll ever need. And on the plus side, the sample triggering is worlds better with it now so right now I'm just waiting to see if the Rhythm Wolf is vapor ware and how good it sounds vs the Volca Beats to have drums covered for me.