Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

sedative posted:

Flyers Midwest!

Eventually literally every team is going to be Flyers <direction>

Because Homer is going to trade the entire team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

img-patrick-sharp-rookie-card.jpg

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
All I want to know is if Mitch Korn is still part of the staff.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

LmaoTheKid posted:

I just wish NBC had Sam Rosen but I understand why they don't (FOX Football contract).

Kenny Albert does NFC west games too though so I'm still confused.

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!

Siroc posted:

All I want to know is if Mitch Korn is still part of the staff.

He's gone. Lambert and Housley stay. Jim Diamond confirmed Korn leaving with Trotz.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jovial Cow posted:

Kenny Albert does NFC west games too though so I'm still confused.

I forgot about that. Sam don't care.

E: Maybe its because he's the radio guy for the Rangers and only Sam's fill in on occasion?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

romanowski posted:

boo. quit sleeping caps

Trotz incoming

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

deafmute posted:

You enjoy listening to him exclusively because you're a Blackhawks homer. When announcers do a national broadcast it's really not difficult for most of them to be objective, look how Hahn, Strader, Pang and Remenda handle themselves. The broadcasts would be better with dead silence over obnoxious idiot homers that detract from the game.

Haha that's amazing, in a conversation about team bias a San Jose Sharks fan picks the San Jose Sharks commentators for the short list and in the exact same paragraph gives a Chicago Blackhawks fan poo poo for liking the Chicago Blackhawks commentators.

I have no opinion on the sharks commentators, I just think that's the gooniest post so far this month.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

mcvey posted:

Trotz incoming

more like wayne gretzky pres, mark messier gm, adam oates re-hired coach

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

romanowski posted:

wayne gretzky pres, mark messier gm, adam oates re-hired coach

mcvey dead

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

xzzy posted:

Haha that's amazing, in a conversation about team bias a San Jose Sharks fan picks the San Jose Sharks commentators for the short list and in the exact same paragraph gives a Chicago Blackhawks fan poo poo for liking the Chicago Blackhawks commentators.

I have no opinion on the sharks commentators, I just think that's the gooniest post so far this month.
I'm a Coyotes fan that can recognize good broadcasters, sorry that this is beyond your comprehension :smith:

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

xzzy posted:

deafmute is a coyotes fan, not a sharks fan

drew remenda sucks though

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

People are a fan of whatever team is in their avatar, that's my rule and I'm sticking to it.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

mcvey posted:

Torts incoming

ftfy

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

I just wish NBC had Sam Rosen but I understand why they don't (FOX Football contract).

Also The CW owns the national broadcast rights to Droopy Dog.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I for one thing it's awesome that NBC pairs its best PBP man with the two worst jackasses they have on their entire broadcasting team.

Anyway, no way Babs wins the Jack Adams, I'm just loving glad he's finally a finalist because I wasn't sure even THAT was gonna happen this year. He passed Jack Adams' record. That's the real win. :colbert:

Luceo posted:

just be glad FOX doesn't carry hockey. You'd get Joe Buck calling the games. :barf:

I unironically wanna see this at some point.

Also, Doc Emrick calling a football game.

Also, also, Doc Emrick calling a baseball game.

Edit:
:swoon:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Joe Buck was actually not bad as a hockey guy. He knows the game and the Blues at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HD_dHuPr-I

He's also a head taller than Pang haha

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

bewbies posted:

Joe Buck was actually not bad as a hockey guy. He knows the game and the Blues at least

He's still a lovely sportscaster with the emotion of a brick.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

bewbies posted:

He's less annoying there than calling NFL and especially MLB. I think he calls a better NFL game than MLB for sure.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
Can you imagine Joe Buck calling this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ziarOEosIc

"Matteau throws it out in front of the net.... and he scores..... The Rangers headed to the Finals....."

Laderhan fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 6, 2014

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Joe Buck actually has proven himself capable of emoting the last couple of years for what it's worth. Not that I can bring myself to actually look it up without sobbing uncontrollably but the past ALCS Game 2 would be one example. I thought he did okay in the Seahawks' Super Bowl run too.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

WTF no Berube

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

darren pang rocks because he just says "holy jumpin'!" a lot and that's funny imo

e: can anyone confirm if he has ever said "holy jumpin', batman!"

Captain Geech
Mar 14, 2008

I've made a huge mistake.

VJeff posted:

Joe Buck actually has proven himself capable of emoting the last couple of years for what it's worth. Not that I can bring myself to actually look it up without sobbing uncontrollably but the past ALCS Game 2 would be one example. I thought he did okay in the Seahawks' Super Bowl run too.

Buck got criticized a lot for his emotionless calling of the 18-1 Superbowl, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's decided to dial it up a bit since then.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Captain Geech posted:

Buck got criticized a lot for his emotionless calling of the 18-1 Superbowl, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's decided to dial it up a bit since then.

I think he got a lot of flack for the 2011 World Series too. I noticed him picking it up starting with the 2011 NFL Playoffs.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Babcock always has a strong hat game for the Winter Classic, but I liked the wider brimmed hat he wore in Chicago more.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
With Nashville hiring Laviolette I think it's safe to say TMC's job is safe. Sorry Canucks fans!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

John Shorthouse and John Garret on Sportsnet Pacific are great. They are overt Canucks fans though*, but honestly that shouldn't be an issue with local commentary teams. I've never understood why people get upset with an announcer having a bias to a team they call regularly. It's different with national broadcasts, but cmon regional bias can be great sometimes.

*so much so that an Oilers blogger did a list of the biggest homer announcers in the league and put them at #1, ironically one of the most homer things ever posted on the internet.

Homerism is only enjoyable if it's really overt and stupid. Steigerwald and Errey are funny because Staggy is the biggest homer that ever homered and Bob Errey is always either eating something and trying to hide that fact or just spouting off non sense.

I like Detroit's guys too. Mickey Redmond is hilarious with his constant grunting and muttering during play. I don't know the name of their PBP guy (Ken Daniels maybe?) but he's actually pretty good despite being a bit of a homer. I like his voice.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

DOOP posted:

Good hire this

Until Lavy benches Rinne for ... uh, somebody

Whoever the Admirals backup is next year, since it's Mazanec's turn to be ruined next.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The biggest tragedy in Blues history is Ken Wilson's contract not being renewed right before the lockout because he didn't do anything with the team except call the games I guess. And now we have John "Perpetual Deer In The Headlights" Kelly instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXxuqu1tkC4

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
My never ending fascination with the 74-75 Capitals turned up a funny article about my hero Bill Mikkelson:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1201733/1/index.htm

"Mikkelson made his NHL debut with the Kings, against the Maple Leafs, on Nov. 17, 1971, in a midweek game that was televised across Canada. On his second or third shift he misfired a pass to defensive partner Jean Potvin. The puck skittered along the ice like an injured sparrow, and Toronto's Dave Keon swooped. Breakaway. Top shelf.

"That," Mikkelson says, "was my first minus."

"I was O.K.," says Mikkelson, disarming in his earnestness. "I was a good skater, but I was missing the dexterity managing the puck—the hockey sense, you might say. I wish I had applied myself better. Worked harder. Practiced more. Lifted more weights. Learned how to fight.... My problem was that I sort of fell into being a hockey player. I never planned to be one. I was probably an average defenseman on every team I ever played on. In junior too. But for some reason I kept advancing. I don't know why."

This guy needs some sort of media outlet.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands
@erlendssonTBO: #tblightning announce signing of G Andrei Vasilevskii to a three-year entry level contract (new spelling is correct)

Vasilevskii is considered the world's 1 or 1A goalie prospect, depending on who you ask. He'll probably start out the year in Syracuse.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

double sulk posted:

WTF no Berube

yeah it sucks he can't win the media narrative award

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Vicas posted:

Dodgeball was a documentary, just give it a little more time

"An event greater than the World Cup, the World Series and World War II combined!"

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
No Bruce for the Jack Adams award, that sucks. Well we all know Roy is going to win it anyway because of Varlamov.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Heaf posted:

@erlendssonTBO: #tblightning announce signing of G Andrei Vasilevskii to a three-year entry level contract (new spelling is correct)

Vasilevskii is considered the world's 1 or 1A goalie prospect, depending on who you ask. He'll probably start out the year in Syracuse.

sometimes a post comes along that just makes my heart light up all aglow with righteous pride

this is one of them

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Kypreos today had some interesting information on the Leafs and Wings, and he's normally reliable with this stuff.

quote:

Hope_Smoke: Kypreos "we'll either have an extension soon for Babcock or he and Detroit can part ways this summer"

Hope_Smoke: Kypreos "I get mixed reviews on the relationship between Babcock and Shanahan. Babcock to TO would be more Leiweke than Shanahan'"

Hope_Smoke: Kypreos "I beleive that Babcock would like to entertain a different market. He would be the first $3 million dollar coach"

Hope_Smoke: Kypreos "everybody believes Trotz has his place lined up. I think he knows where he'll end up in Sept"

Hope_Smoke: Kypreos "Babcock would be home run for the Leafs who is plan B? Have they contacted Trotz? We'll hear Carlyle's fate some time this week"

Hope_Smoke: Kypreos "I believe we'll see change behind the Leafs bench but I don't know if that's just the assistants or Carlyle too."

Hope_Smoke: Kypreos "talking to other teams they cannot believe the lack of success the Leafs have had at the drafting table. Huge issue for Shanahan"

Hope_Smoke: Kypreos "I see the Leafs revamping the scoutinf staff"

Purging the amateur scouts, who have been quite good in the late rounds these last few years, and the assistant bench coaches for failing Carlyle/Nonis would be about a 15 on a 1-to-10 scale of Leafiness.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
If the Leafs got Babcock or Trotz that would be an alarmingly good upgrade for them.

Fingers crossed that they are still in love with Carlyle for at least this offseason. Next summer they can hopefully hire Michel Therrien.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well Kypreos is the dude who said Suter to Detroit was a done deal, so you know you can trust him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!
first i've heard of babcock leaving this summer possibly

trotz is going to coach detroit to glory, isn't he :suicide:

babcock isn't leaving until he retires unless detroit is just loving crazy

• Locked thread