Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

This is quite nice, and it probably isn't a coincidence that it reminds me a lot of the posters for the Close encounters of the third kind. The title font is the only thing that I wish was different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't like the exact word choice. Would work better as "We were born on Earth. We were never meant to die here."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Whoever Wins, We Lose (But Not On Earth)

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Lobok posted:

I don't like the exact word choice. Would work better as "We were born on Earth. We were never meant to die here."

I think the specific use of 'Mankind' is supposed to evoke the history of space travel; 'one giant leap for mankind' and all that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

^^Or reminiscent of the "kind" in Close Encounters, but yeah, it still feels a bit clunky.

I should give props to the design, though. The white part is simultaneously a rocket launch and the Milky Way.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

This is an amazing poster.

I love the choice of Kepler and Futura, as well as the title implying a takeoff and the Milky Way as mentioned before. I'm not sure about the third sans-serif typeface used for everything else, but I guess it would have hurt hierarchy if it were set in Futura as well.

edit: Nevermind, I think I got the typeface for "Interstellar" wrong. Anyone know what it is? I thought it was Bodoni at first but the long lower arm on the E is throwing me off.

chami fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 6, 2014

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Infamous Sphere posted:

I...uh...I'd be upset, but Gattaca is a terrible movie so I really don't care.

I'm not a fan, but I will admit, any "sci-fi thriller" that has only a single punch and no other action what-so-ever has a certain appeal, if only on a curiosity level. Also, Gore Vidal is awesome.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Kush posted:

This is quite nice, and it probably isn't a coincidence that it reminds me a lot of the posters for the Close encounters of the third kind. The title font is the only thing that I wish was different.

Yeah I got a Close Encounters vibe too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rirse posted:

I love how Dollman is literally cropped out of the first poster and placed in the Demonic Toy poster.

Puppet Master Legacy says its "starring" Greg Sestero but it actually just reuses footage from Retro Puppet Master for his part.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I didn't really get a Encounters vibe but more of a "80's sci fi vibe" which I guess is very similar, but I also got stuff like a Last Starfighter vibe too.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

chami posted:

edit: Nevermind, I think I got the typeface for "Interstellar" wrong. Anyone know what it is? I thought it was Bodoni at first but the long lower arm on the E is throwing me off.

I think you were right maybe?

http://myfonts.us/td-6UUDBa

rawillkill fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 6, 2014

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Cleretic posted:

Gattaca was one of those movies that my high school's science classes would play to help grasp theoretical concepts/get us interested in a field/shut us up for a few lessons, so I kind of can't view it objectively, I always just flash back to sitting in an uncomfortable plastic chair waiting for the bell to ring.

It's something I definitely see troubles with making a poster for, though. It's not really a concept that can be sold in poster form (hell, they barely sell it in movie form), and you can see the designers struggling to latch onto anything to work from.

Yeah, for me...Gattaca is something I watched in my speculative fiction English class. Everyone in my class loved it (because they thought Jude Law was hot) bar my friends and I, who hated it. It just seemed like a very simplistic sci fi (how come there were only two options for Vincent - astronaut and space cleaner? Couldn't he just..be a lawyer or something?) and the message was flawed as hell anyway (there's a reason they don't let people with serious medical conditions be astronauts.) Plus, the look of the film is pretty hideous - so much yellow, that upside down sex scene, etc.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gattaca is pretty good and very funny. The sound design is ace.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
I like Gattaca. It's a movie about perfect, laboratory humans was produced by Danny Devito, arguably Hollywood's most imperfect human. It's a fun movie to watch just so you can pick out neat little details, like that the intercom announcements are in esperanto.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Infamous Sphere posted:

(how come there were only two options for Vincent - astronaut and space cleaner? Couldn't he just..be a lawyer or something?)

He became a space cleaner because he wanted to go to space, I think he mentioned something about wanting to go to space a few times.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

It just seemed like a very simplistic sci fi (how come there were only two options for Vincent - astronaut and space cleaner? Couldn't he just..be a lawyer or something?) and the message was flawed as hell anyway (there's a reason they don't let people with serious medical conditions be astronauts.)

Anyone who didn't have pure genetic profiles were discriminated against, leaving them with the only employment options to do menial work, such as being a janitor. Lawyer is out of the option for him, even being a secretary at a law firm seems like it would have been verboten.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Terminal Entropy posted:

Anyone who didn't have pure genetic profiles were discriminated against, leaving them with the only employment options to do menial work, such as being a janitor. Lawyer is out of the option for him, even being a secretary at a law firm seems like it would have been verboten.

And even if Vincent had a genetic profile that propensity for cardiovascular disease and heart trouble, it's a prediction and not really a fact. Anyone who brings up the "Vincent was selfish because he could die on the space mission" misses the whole point that it's possible to beat those 99% odds by being that 1%. The whole theme of the film is that there's "no gene for fate". Even people like Jerome (who is suicidal for not being perfect) and Irene (who actually has a heart problem) are completely hosed up despite their genetically-superior physiology. It even comes up in the whole crime plot where the genetically-conditioned-to-be-a-police-detective Anton misses the vital clue which is found by his inferior, Detective Hugo.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Okay, now that's just insulting.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Okay, now that's just insulting.

For a while, IMDB attributed every piece of poo poo Brucesploitation flick made after Bruce Lee's death to the real Bruce Lee. Thankfully, they fixed it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I love the original Castle Freak poster, and it's kind of a bummer that the newer versions just straight-up show the freak on the cover art.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

For a while, IMDB attributed every piece of poo poo Brucesploitation flick made after Bruce Lee's death to the real Bruce Lee. Thankfully, they fixed it.

I have the same name as a person who wrote a very popular song that is in hundreds of movies. My IMDB page is loving glorious and I hope they never figure out that I'm not dead and that I keep adding to it.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

kiimo posted:

I have the same name as a person who wrote a very popular song that is in hundreds of movies. My IMDB page is loving glorious and I hope they never figure out that I'm not dead and that I keep adding to it.

kiimo's real name is Dolly Parton.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I love Gattaca. Jude Law had hair.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Box office mojo have the wrong poster up for Psycho.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They do that a lot. I think they use a scraper.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

Parachute posted:

I love the original Castle Freak poster, and it's kind of a bummer that the newer versions just straight-up show the freak on the cover art.

They don't show his ding-dong though, so at least some degree of mystery is left intact.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Someone with more knowledge of the lore should do a Godzilla megapost considering what's on the horizon.

e: and because that person is not me, here's a couple of posters where people say we monkey around

DEM TITTIES

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 8, 2014

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Just to be clear, this isn't A KING KONG MOVIE!"

"EVERYONE LOOK IT'S not KING KONG AGAIN!"

ruddiger posted:

Someone with more knowledge of the lore should do a Godzilla megapost considering what's on the horizon.

e: and because that person is not me, here's a couple of posters where people say we monkey around

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Wow, Ape looks awful!
http://youtu.be/943pcaqVQos
My favourite is the toy boat getting blown up.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Is it wrong that I'm upset that they used a live snake in that and ripped it off a branch and threw it? I might be getting soft.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

MTV commissioned this nightmare

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So either Old Leia is pregnant or Llewyn Davis is an angel.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

zenintrude posted:

Hahahaha. That is lovely :allears:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ha is that mandalorian armor on Adam?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it's a literal children's costume pasted onto his body. That looks like a t-shirt.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Slasherfan posted:

Wow, Ape looks awful!
http://youtu.be/943pcaqVQos
My favourite is the toy boat getting blown up.

"See giant ape defy jaw shark."

Yeah.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

zenintrude posted:

Who's the Donal Logue-looking guy on the left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

morestuff posted:

Who's the Donal Logue-looking guy on the left?

He looks like he's saying "Is this... is this how I hold it?"