Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

spoon0042 posted:

:eng101: From 1874 to 1968 the Pennsylvania Constitution prevented Governors from serving consecutive terms. Every one so far since 1968 that has been eligible has been reelected.

As the primary goes, Wolf could be fine for all I know, there's just something off-putting about a businessman funding his own campaign. Apparently there's been at least one attack ad now, and Rendell is telling them to cut that poo poo out.

Rendell is an idiot and if Tom Wolf can't stand the lobs by Schwartz and McCord he's going to get his rear end handed to him by the Republicans.

Of course, I may be biased because I supported another green (almost certainly very naive) businessman egghead called Ned Lamont and that turned out awesome, both times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Lamont sure took a lot of poo poo from supposed progressives.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Yeah. There's an article in the paper today about the debate last week which barely mentioned any issues so I guess they're in agreement on most things. Leaving personality and attack ads and that sort of bullshit to differentiate themselves. whee.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

De Nomolos posted:

Ummmm...I thought no one listened to Air America?

Seriously, what radio station has progressive talk? I thought we'd learned that liberals don't want to hear hours at a time of someone droning on about how dumb Ted Cruz is or whatever.

You won't get anything good on AM/FM, unless you're near a Pacifica station. Just stream NPR/Pacifica on a phone, or listen to podcasts. Do we still have access to Al Jazeera radio? We used to carry it at KPFT for a bit.

And there's no money in liberal outrage radio, especially when a Democrat is in the White House. It isn't in our nature to be blowhard assholes that lie to ourselves and our listeners day after day with ads for predatory capitalist companies supporting our outrage.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 4, 2014

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Sir Tonk posted:

You won't get anything good on AM/FM, unless you're near a Pacifica station. Just stream NPR/Pacifica on a phone, or listen to podcasts. Do we still have access to Al Jazeera radio? We used to carry it at KPFT for a bit.

And there's no money in liberal outrage radio, especially when a Democrat is in the White House. It isn't in our nature to be blowhard assholes that lie to ourselves and our listeners day after day with ads for predatory capitalist companies supporting our outrage.

The only liberal podcast I listen to is the Majority Report. It consistently has solid guests. Sam Seder is not for everybody but I'm a fan.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Sirius/XM has a load of political stations, with the conservative Patriot :911: station, liberal Progress station, middle of the road POTUS station, and the audio feeds of CNN/MSNBC/CNBC/Fox News. I mostly listen to Julie Mason on POTUS because she interviews media people who are in the various capitol beats and while it gets a little inside baseball at times, she is a hoot and a holler.

edit: forgot NPR, I like to listen to Marketplace at 6 and then the trucker channel at 7, and then Mason or Stern repeats until Olbermann on ESPN.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 5, 2014

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

menino posted:

The only liberal podcast I listen to is the Majority Report. It consistently has solid guests. Sam Seder is not for everybody but I'm a fan.

I'm still pissed that It's All Politics stopped. I stick to The Bugle and On The Media mostly, with a bit of Diane Rehm here and there.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sir Tonk posted:

I'm still pissed that It's All Politics stopped. I stick to The Bugle and On The Media mostly, with a bit of Diane Rehm here and there.
Yeah, same here. It's All Politics wasn't amazing or anything, but it was reliable and they only sometimes pissed me off. I did try that Decode DC podcast and I couldn't decide whether Seabrook's heart wasn't in it or she' just that mushy, because it's like the podcast version of old people loving.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

spoon0042 posted:

:eng101: From 1874 to 1968 the Pennsylvania Constitution prevented Governors from serving consecutive terms. Every one so far since 1968 that has been eligible has been reelected.

As the primary goes, Wolf could be fine for all I know, there's just something off-putting about a businessman funding his own campaign. Apparently there's been at least one attack ad now, and Rendell is telling them to cut that poo poo out.

Rendell took money from terrorist sympathizers in return for lobbying to have their preferred group removed from the official list of terrorists. gently caress' im. Anyways the "peculiarities of Pennsylvania gubernatorial elections" is a lot more specific than that. Its not just that every incumbent has been re-elected, its that every eight years we have switched parties, even going back before the 6os constitutional revision. Prior to that we elected Republicans almost every time (think a Democrat or two snuck in over the previous fifty or so years.) All of the "its always been this way" stuff is pointing in Corbett's direction and he'd probably have had an easy run of it if he hadn't alienated his own legislative would-be allies while also doing nothing to raise public confidence. As is he'd need a heck of a turn around to pull out the win. I'm sure that they could write a fascinating book about all of the mistakes he made following 2010 but honestly, I doubt anyone would read it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

menino posted:

If you're a liberal and you don't like Sam Seder, you're doing it wrong. His debates with libertarians are the best thing ever.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 5, 2014

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

De Nomolos posted:

Who the hell is Mark Levine and why should I know who he is? I keep seeing him listed as a "media personality" but the hell if I know where he's appeared. And he's being treated as a serious contender, too.

When I see his "Aggressive Progressive" ads, it makes me think he's going to be an obnoxious talking head who just aggressively defends Obama, like Blubbering Vagina Paul Begala.

Patrick Hope is apparently doing well, but he works in PR so that's strike 1. Adam Ebbin actually worked for the group that represented outed LGBT soldiers.

Hope was the guy who sent me the letter. :negative: He seems legit, is there anything bad about him other than "works in PR"? Isn't he in the House of Delegates right now?

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

axeil posted:

Hope was the guy who sent me the letter. :negative: He seems legit, is there anything bad about him other than "works in PR"? Isn't he in the House of Delegates right now?

He is. I mean, really I just think Ebbin is much better and the sort of candidate you should have in such a solid blue seat. He really stuck his neck out for day laborer centers and gay soldiers serving openly during DADT. I also have anti-Arlington bias. If you want to vote for Hope instead, I get it, he's a good 2nd choice, but I just think Ebbin won't disappoint you and he has the benefit of not being a part of the Arlington Dems clusterfuck that's always been more pro-developer than pro-renter.

AnemicChipmunk
Oct 23, 2012

Mark Callahan, a Portland Republican running for the U.S. Senate, got kicked out of an endorsement interview. Skip to the 1:06:15 mark in the embedded video for the good stuff.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Apologies about not following this thread or much midterm news, but a short while ago on the Colbert Report, he mentioned a poll in which 53% of the respondents would rather see Republicans in control of Congress. That shocked me, because before then the reasoning I heard was that Tea Party was the least favorable label in politics, and that gerrymandering and more Democrats being up for reelection were the factors working in Republicans favor. Can anyone tell me about this?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
As a very basic starting point, looks a Obama's approval ratings.

Gerrymandering and whatever aside, the president is not popular.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

Apologies about not following this thread or much midterm news, but a short while ago on the Colbert Report, he mentioned a poll in which 53% of the respondents would rather see Republicans in control of Congress. That shocked me, because before then the reasoning I heard was that Tea Party was the least favorable label in politics, and that gerrymandering and more Democrats being up for reelection were the factors working in Republicans favor. Can anyone tell me about this?

Projections right now are that the House stays Republican, and the Senate is 50/50 to go Republican. Polls for Democrats are slowly improving, however, and if this keeps up over the summer I'd say it's likely the Dems will keep the Senate.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Favorability for the House seems to hover around 50/50, but the Democrats need significantly more than 50/50 to have a real chance of taking the House, so that's not happening.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dr Christmas posted:

You're also looking at a smaller, older, whiter electorate in a midterm as opposed to a presidential election. That's the biggest factor.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
http://time.com/87792/2014-midterm-elections-poll/

quote:

Democrats Face Worst Midterm Climate in 20 Years, Poll Says
The Pew Research Center/USA Today survey released Monday found that 47% of registered voters either support the Republican candidate in their district or lean in that direction, while 43% favor or lean Democratic. That’s the lowest level of support Democrats have had around this point in the midterm election cycles since 1994, the year Republicans retook the House for the first time in four decades. And it’s even worse for Democrats than it was before the beating they took in the 2010 midterm elections.

Seems like an extreme statement given just one data point and the fact that the GOP has already maximized their house gains, but it's not looking good for the democratic party.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Mitt Romney posted:

Seems like an extreme statement given just one data point and the fact that the GOP has already maximized their house gains, but it's not looking good for the democratic party.

Consider that in 2010, you had hodgepodge Tea Party and anti-Obamacare and Glenn Beck groups everywhere. What are they doing now? They're sure as hell not as visible. Their agitation was a big part of the discontent that led to 2010. This will not be 2010.

There's also been no new big controversial bills to pass since then. They've already hit every swing Dem in the House on Obamacare in 2012. What's gonna swing it now? Benghazi?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Dr Christmas posted:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/watch/obamas-popular-policies-dont-help-in-polls-241397827663
Rachel Maddow explains it.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Mitt Romney posted:

I remember seeing Democrats ahead on a generic ballot two or three months ago before Obamacare met enrollment goals and became not quite a total political disaster. Why the polls have flipped now?

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I remember seeing Democrats ahead on a generic ballot two or three months ago before Obamacare met enrollment goals and became not quite a total political disaster. Why the polls have flipped now?

They haven't. They're just generating hits off of one extreme statement and one poll.

FWIW, Rasmussen has the Democrats up 4.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

People are just dumb.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Question about Primary Strategy... in a year like this year, is it better to vote for the democratic incumbent, in order to provide the incumbent's advantage in the general-- or is it better to throw a vote over to a more progressive candidate, trying to influence to overton window?

It seems to me that we really, REALLY need the democrats to keep the senate-- but people keep saying that the primary is where you should "vote your heart", so I'm torn.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Iunnrais posted:

Question about Primary Strategy... in a year like this year, is it better to vote for the democratic incumbent, in order to provide the incumbent's advantage in the general-- or is it better to throw a vote over to a more progressive candidate, trying to influence to overton window?

It seems to me that we really, REALLY need the democrats to keep the senate-- but people keep saying that the primary is where you should "vote your heart", so I'm torn.

That's the whole point of primaries. Vote who you most agree with and then vote D in the general. There are no current D Senators who don't deserve a vote over their Republican counterparts in 2014. I don't think any Dem Senators are facing a real primary challenge anyway, what state are you in?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
NC. There's no REAL contender to Kay Hagen, but there is someone (Will Stewart) who is doing a smalltime campaign with a lot of nice talking points (raise minimum wage, legalize cannabis, tax the rich, etc). He doesn't look like he's got a shot in hell, but it'd be nice if Kay Hagen would actually make a showing on such issues, so I'm considering voting tonight for Will just to say "Hey! Remember you're a democrat please!"

That said, he's young, inexperienced, and has nothing but a couple talking points.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

It depends on how a primary in your state is set up. In my state, there is no registration by political party. You just declare which ballot you want when you go to vote. In theory, you could be challenged because Indiana law dictates eligibility to vote in a partisan primary:

1. You voted for a majority of that party's candidates in the previous general election.
2. You plan to vote for a majority of that party's candidates in the upcoming general election.

Of course, short of being a well known political activist or elected official, no one is ever challenged.

In other states, primary voting is decided on your voter registration. In some states, there is a cut off on how long before an election you can switch your political affiliation. In other states, you can switch it up until the day before the election.

You also might be voting for precinct committemen or state delegates and those can be important as well, especially when it comes to filling vacated seats when someone resigns or trying to influence how party resources are allocated.

I don't think any state practices this anymore, but some used to let you vote in primaries by office rather than party. So you could, in theory, vote for a Democrat in a US Senate D Primary, but vote Republican in the GOP Gov primary.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

News from NC: Brannon lost and there will be no runoff. Thom Tillis now gets to carpetbomb Kay Hagan over Obamacare with Rovebucks for 6 months.

Also, by 1%, CLAY AIKEN is your nominee, winning over a man who said he'd only do 3 terms because he's too old to expect himself to live longer. An inauspicious debut for the American Idol (runner-up)!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Man, Clay Aiken has not aged as well as one would expect. Guy looks like an amalgam of Alan Rickman and Tori Amos.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's still incredibly early to worry about polls, considering most voters won't start paying attention until Sept/Oct anyway

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

De Nomolos posted:

News from NC: Brannon lost and there will be no runoff. Thom Tillis now gets to carpetbomb Kay Hagan over Obamacare with Rovebucks for 6 months.

Also, by 1%, CLAY AIKEN is your nominee, winning over a man who said he'd only do 3 terms because he's too old to expect himself to live longer. An inauspicious debut for the American Idol (runner-up)!

The bigger news is the million bucks spent by AFP et. al. to oust a state supreme court justice backfired when they accused her of helping child molesters and put two dipshits on the ballot in a jungle primary. Buying judiciaries is the next step in the right wing takeover of state governments, so this is something worth looking out for.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 7, 2014

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Is there no war chest that can help fight the Kochs here in NC? Does the Democratic party simply not care about state elections?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Iunnrais posted:

Is there no war chest that can help fight the Kochs here in NC? Does the Democratic party simply not care about state elections?

They're nonexistent right now because they're still fighting over the fact the old rural coalition is dead. Every candidate with half a chance is working outside them.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

FAUXTON posted:

Man, Clay Aiken has not aged as well as one would expect. Guy looks like an amalgam of Alan Rickman and Tori Amos.
I was going to go for Lindsay Lohan's brother, but that works.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

comes along bort posted:

They're nonexistent right now because they're still fighting over the fact the old rural coalition is dead. Every candidate with half a chance is working outside them.

And yet they need Roy Cooper in 2016.

Most people I know from that coalition (and by that I mean the one major guy) are out to the beach til then, because Randy Voller is awful and you can't rely on the "new coalition" to give a poo poo unless Obama's on the ballot.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah somebody went buck wild with dermal injections on poor Clay's face. Why do people do that? Isn't it OK to become rugged?

This is what I tell myself, that I am becoming "rugged." Better than looking like embalmed Qusay Hussein I think.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Yeah somebody went buck wild with dermal injections on poor Clay's face. Why do people do that? Isn't it OK to become rugged?

This is what I tell myself, that I am becoming "rugged." Better than looking like embalmed Qusay Hussein I think.

The poor guy he ran against was a 70-something former state cabinet sec. who barely appeared in his own ads. And he still almost lost. And it's a strong R district. Clay must be vain and aloof.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Aiken's a gay hollywood liberal who wants to increase taxes, increase the minimum wage and put more money into special education. He was running against a Blue Dog establishment candidate. I didn't expect him to do this well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

De Nomolos posted:

And yet they need Roy Cooper in 2016.

Most people I know from that coalition (and by that I mean the one major guy) are out to the beach til then, because Randy Voller is awful and you can't rely on the "new coalition" to give a poo poo unless Obama's on the ballot.

Yeah pretty much. To Voller's credit he's tried getting some new blood with a bit of professionalism like the guy who ran Vermont's state party, and there's several people who really should've been let go ages ago for incompetence, but just about anyone he brings in they run out of town soon after.

The other side of it is a lot of what makes up the dem voter base are relative newcomers who don't really get how poo poo still works and just assume there's somebody in charge, when it's obvious there isn't.

• Locked thread