Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ZeeToo posted:

Just watched someone abuse Igni->TSO->Igni to make the +9,+20 executioner's axe "Steve" (weapon) {holy, +Inv Int-6}, which is one of the better weapons I've seen in a while.

It's honestly the greatest weapon I've ever seen, and I'm still baffled that he needed convincing to take +11 slaying over int -6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

How do i drop half of a stack of something on webtiles? I'm used to ctrl-shift click in the bag :/

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Humans Among Us posted:

How do i drop half of a stack of something on webtiles? I'm used to ctrl-shift click in the bag :/

Push the number first, so like 5c if you want to drop five of item c.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Prism posted:

Push the number first, so like 5c if you want to drop five of item c.

Thank you !!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

kaschei posted:

At some point every Ash worshipper uncurses his or her weapon because weapon swapping is generally Good and is particularly Really Good for stabbers who want to use a dagger and a nice cutlass or quickblade.
You know what, I never even considered this. I suppose the same applies to jewellery too.

This is not only my first enchanter worth a drat, it's my first vampire and Ash worshiper that's worth a drat. All my others died before Lair, because I sometimes forget I'm allowed to run away from tough fights.

LordSloth posted:

On the other hand, Ashenzari worshipers are protected from binge-drinking hangovers. Beat the Elven halls by hosting a kegger party. Win-win.
So I tried it, it works pretty well. Although I discovered one major downside.

Vampires don't appear to recover from stat loss naturally while bloodless, so those int losses start to rack up.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Stupid question time. What is this turn off training you guys are speaking of?

The furthest I've gotten is Orc:4 as a lvl 11 MiFi (I remember that death. Stepped on a teleport rune and game over). I think I also made it to D11 or D12. I'm slowly learning but it sounds like there are some major things I dont know anything about that I might be crippling myself on.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

mitztronic posted:

Press 'm' and you can set which skills are training and which aren't. Then press '/' and you can divide the xp evenly between skills that are turned on.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

mitztronic posted:

The furthest I've gotten is Orc:4 as a lvl 11 MiFi (I remember that death. Stepped on a teleport rune and game over). I think I also made it to D11 or D12. I'm slowly learning but it sounds like there are some major things I dont know anything about that I might be crippling myself on.

Setting what skills gain experience and which don't so you don't let the game waste your XP on stealth as a giant clunky armour fighter because one time on D2 a rat failed to notice your giant rear end clanking up to it and smashing it to paste with a flail.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Wow. I feel like that was covered in the tutorial but yet after nearly 80 games I havent used that once. I am loving :downs:

edit: reading through some of the LPs, so much stuff I didnt know about. I'm glad I decided to check for a crawl thread. (havent been in games in a long time)

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 7, 2014

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008
Is Dithmenos a good god for a Spriggan stabber/caster? I started a game after not playing since 0.12, where I would usually go Okawaru until I got some decent gear and felt I could deal with his wrath, then ditch for Ashenzari. I'd appreciate other god recommendations as well.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Colour posted:

Is Dithmenos a good god for a Spriggan stabber/caster? I started a game after not playing since 0.12, where I would usually go Okawaru until I got some decent gear and felt I could deal with his wrath, then ditch for Ashenzari. I'd appreciate other god recommendations as well.

Besides the ones you listed, I'd also short-list Makhleb, Kiku, and Nemelex, mostly because they all give you very good ways to killdudes aside from your Elmer Fudd impersonation.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Colour posted:

Dith is easily the best god for a stabber because she gives you the ability to blink to enemies from across the screen, drastically reducing the chance they'll wake up before you get a chance to stab them. Nemelex is another good god for SpEn.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

gently caress you too, Xom. Auto explored and instantly died.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Please note that while Dith makes you amazing at stabbing, that's literally ALL she does. If you can already handle the hunger costs associated with invis, she offers practically nothing of worth. IE good idea for Spriggans, god-awful idea for Vampires. In that case I'd consider other gods that let you get past magic-immune-and-see-invis enemies. Like, say, Nemlex.

vvvvvvv Edit: Trunk changes so fast I feel that it's poor form to assume that 1) everyone plays it in the first place and 2) their version includes said changes. I generally assume stable offline tiles unless told otherwise.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 8, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
^ Invisibility isn't in the starter book anymore, so there's no guarantee an enchanter will have it. Dith's aura also gives a 1d4-1 penalty to enemy accuracy. You also get shadow form, which is basically invisibility but your attacks suck.

tooterfish posted:

Vampires don't appear to recover from stat loss naturally while bloodless, so those int losses start to rack up.

My understanding is that stat recovery is considered a type of healing by the game. If you won't heal naturally (DD, Slow Healing 3, Bloodless Vamp) you also won't recover stats naturally.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 8, 2014

Viashino_wizard
Mar 26, 2010

Consider my interest piqued.
Rejoice.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

quote:

it isn't a significant weight change anywhere except Slime, where GOoE and eyes of devastation are a bit over 50% more common now.
:suicide:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Bad V:5 break-ins:

code:
 62316 | Vaults:5 | XOM: 1-stop teleportation journey
 62319 | Vaults:5 | Noticed an ancient lich
 62323 | Vaults:5 | XOM: noise
 62324 | Vaults:5 | XOM: polymorph deep elf priest -> red wasp
 62333 | Vaults:5 | Huge Dmg: 58 dmg
 62335 | Vaults:5 | Huge Dmg: 86 dmg
 62335 | Vaults:5 | and so it ends
 62336 | Vaults:5 | Huge Dmg: 9 dmg
 62337 | Vaults:5 | Killed from afar by an ancient lich
drat it Xom :argh:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Dear Crawl, can I please have some equipment now?

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Infinite Monkeys posted:

gently caress you too, Xom. Auto explored and instantly died.

Guess what? You just got this vault removed. http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a=commitdiff;h=d7d6c261e2e448f9f165564f3f63ec559af269ab

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Thug Lessons posted:

Stop training everything you're training and just turn on Shields and Fighting. Take Shields up to 15 (enough to eliminate all the penalties) and then leave Fighting on for the rest of the game, everything else is just about as high as you need it unless you're planning on investing in some casting (fairly difficult since you're in GDA but still doable for stuff like Blink, rMsl, etc.). Also get a better weapon, venom is a bad brand by this point and you can easily get a better enchant if you've got the scrolls to spare for it. An eveningstar would be the best choice if you've found one, otherwise use another demon whip with a better brand (use brand weapon to get this if you need to and have access). Demon whips are fairly common in Depths from hell knights, you can also pop into the Vestibule of Hell and hope a hell knight there has one.

Also, aside from your weapon this character is totally prepared to win the game.

Thanks for the advice all, I've since cleared Depths, Zot to 5, Shoals, and Crypt. I hit 27 but I still haven't found a better weapon except a dinky +3/+4 eveningstar of protection. I'm halfway considering ditching Jiyva for Zin, (to protect me from anger muts) and then to TSO for the scourge.. waiting out the penance in the abyss would be brutal though, and since I've cleared Crypt getting TSO up is going to be tough. (gently caress tombs!)

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I have only won three games (all three or four rune runs) and have died a whole lot doing extended. This guy here has basically walked through everything though and I'm wondering whether he'll be able to survive it.

Major issues are the fact that I'm a berserker meaning no spells which is never conducive with doing extended. I've also got pretty average armour despite clearing slime and doing ten or so levels of a zig (man those things get tough!)

I've basically got every type of non randart/art amulet and ring so any switches I should be looking at?

Skill wise I've maxed stealth and dodging, have 15 in shields, 10 in armour and short blades, 7.5 in Evocations (which I almost never use aside from evoking blink) and 34 in fighting. Right now I'm training fighting and armour...make sense?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Ewar Woowar posted:

I have only won three games (all three or four rune runs) and have died a whole lot doing extended. This guy here has basically walked through everything though and I'm wondering whether he'll be able to survive it.

Major issues are the fact that I'm a berserker meaning no spells which is never conducive with doing extended. I've also got pretty average armour despite clearing slime and doing ten or so levels of a zig (man those things get tough!)

I've basically got every type of non randart/art amulet and ring so any switches I should be looking at?

Skill wise I've maxed stealth and dodging, have 15 in shields, 10 in armour and short blades, 7.5 in Evocations (which I almost never use aside from evoking blink) and 34 in fighting. Right now I'm training fighting and armour...make sense?

I think you would have to dump Trog to stand a chance really.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Stoat posted:

I think you would have to dump Trog to stand a chance really.

TSO? Zin?

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Yes. I usually do crypt with TSO and bless up a weapon, then decide on the next step afterwards.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
My last 15-runer was a HaHu of Oki, who got four runes (including Abyss) before ditching him for TSO, (crypt for piety) then pan, then Zin for hells (scumming Abyss for piety) since he stops hells effects. Worked totally ideally, as by the time you've scored four runes, god wrath isn't as bad.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
You can just throw money at Zin for piety as well.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

Ewar Woowar posted:

Halflings (and kobolds) need 21 Shield skill to remove all penalties, since they are Small species. It takes about 16 skill just to get rid of the spellcasting penalties in robes.

You should have Evocations trained to at least 12-15 at this point, if you've found any elemental evokers at all. I'd carry around a half dozen of fan of gales and phial of floods, especially, but the other two are still good.

Also you can't have 34 in Fighting. :v:

And yeah, you might want to seriously consider switching from Trog if you're set on Extended, and didn't already burn up spellbooks. It won't actually take long to learn useful spells since you aren't using heavy armor.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Boldor posted:

Halflings (and kobolds) need 21 Shield skill to remove all penalties, since they are Small species. It takes about 16 skill just to get rid of the spellcasting penalties in robes.

You should have Evocations trained to at least 12-15 at this point, if you've found any elemental evokers at all. I'd carry around a half dozen of fan of gales and phial of floods, especially, but the other two are still good.

Also you can't have 34 in Fighting. :v:

And yeah, you might want to seriously consider switching from Trog if you're set on Extended, and didn't already burn up spellbooks. It won't actually take long to learn useful spells since you aren't using heavy armor.

Whoops 24 in fighting.

Not that it matters...

Died on Zot 5. Got overwhelmed by orbs of fire and liches sadly.

That's good info re shields, I wasn't aware of that. It's a shame too as I had a manual of shields in my stash. Definitely need to start getting some experience with evokables...I don't even know what most of them do.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Aside from the Disc of Storms (you will want an open area to experiment with that), you can try each evocable safely to see what they do.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

quote:

V - a +7 rod of striking (13/13) (weapon)

Whoa. I found this thing in a Minotaur's stash. Are these any good?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Only if you have loads of Evocations. It does an extra 1d(1.5 * Evo) per hit when you wield it in exchange for a charge. The base stats are those of a club.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

So, not so great for a fistfighting Makhlebite planning to branch into Transmutations, then :v: I'll put it in my stash, in keeping with my "amass a rad curio shoppe in every game" ethos.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I once found a Mino's Labyrinth that had 3 rods in it and was super excited. Then I found out that all 3 of those rods were striking which was useless to me.

Even if you had the evocations skill to make it a decent weapon it'd still be annoying to use because it would run out of charges so fast.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It kills stuff real good. Keep in mind that the +7 rod enchantment is a +7 damage bonus also, and that evocations increases the recharge rate. At max evo and +9 you get about one charge ever 2 turns, which means that a 14/14 rod of striking lasts ~28 turns of constant thwacking. Even at lower Evo the lifespan is greater than you might think as even in combat you don't always spend 100% of your turns attacking, especially when you one-hit stuff with 0.6 delay.

If you're able to use M&F effectively in your build it is a super powerful weapon through the late midgame when you have enchanted up a better one-hander or want to switch to great maces.

That said you probably can't work in 14 M&F + 20 Evo into a transmuter build.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The Evocations at least might be worth training at some point, considering the half-dozen elemental evocables I found on a single dungeon level. The entire level was full of uniques and slightly OOD monsters standing in open-concept vaults with really good items in each corner. It was like I'd walked into an unfinished construction area where some lazy dungeon builder had just dumped all his extra treasure and monsters and gone for lunch :stare:

For now though, yeah, I'm going to focus on getting Confusing Touch online, raising my Invocations some more, and cranking my combat and defensive skills until I find some good spells. Spider Form is a mid-term goal as well, for escapes.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

P.S. why are sacred scourges now blessed scourges? I'm very disappointed with my weapon options!!

code:
 a - a +6,+5 anti-magic eveningstar (weapon)                         (18 aum)
 g - the +4,+8 shillelagh "Devastator"                                (5 aum)
 L - a +5,+5 Blessed Scourge {god gift}                               (3 aum)
 b - a +7 rod of inaccuracy (17/17) {!a}                             (13 aum)
 c - a +2 rod of shadows (16/16) {!a}                                (13 aum)

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

kaschei posted:

P.S. why are sacred scourges now blessed scourges? I'm very disappointed with my weapon options!!

code:
 a - a +6,+5 anti-magic eveningstar (weapon)                         (18 aum)
 g - the +4,+8 shillelagh "Devastator"                                (5 aum)
 L - a +5,+5 Blessed Scourge {god gift}                               (3 aum)
 b - a +7 rod of inaccuracy (17/17) {!a}                             (13 aum)
 c - a +2 rod of shadows (16/16) {!a}                                (13 aum)

I think there's actually a difference between the two. "Blessed" isn't really a base type, it's just applied to TSO gifts.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
Am I right in assuming that my Troll Monk of Nemelex ( http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/ThirdFlower/ThirdFlower.txt ) is much better off with the +3 shield of reflection I'm using, than with the +6 shield "Onkoskixt" {MR++ Str+3} I found?

Here's an overview:
code:
ThirdFlower the Brawler (Troll Monk)               Turns: 51986, Time: 07:23:28

HP 176/176 (185) AC 26     Str 29      XL: 20   Next: 71%
MP  31/31        EV 13     Int  7      God: Nemelex Xobeh [******]
Gold 2003        SH 28     Dex 17      Spells:  4 memorised, 17 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis .       - Unarmed
rCold  + . .     Clarity  .     a - +3 pearl dragon armour
rNeg   + + .     Conserve +     s - +3 shield {reflect}
rPois  +         rCorr    .     b - +2 hat {Int+3}
rElec  +         rRot     .     Q - +2 cloak
SustAb . .       Spirit   .     (gloves unavailable)
rMut   .         Warding  .     (boots unavailable)
Gourm  +         Stasis   .     L - amulet of Kurra {Cons MR++}
MR     ++++.                    D - ring of Ghong {+Inv rElec rPois rN+}
                                c - ring "Zeneine" {rPois rF+ rC+ MR+}

@: incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: unfitting armour, claws 3, repulsion field 1, fast metabolism 3, gourmand,
regeneration 2, saprovore 2, shaggy fur 1, strong 1, tough skin 2
a: Draw One, Peek at Two, Triple Draw, Deal Four, Stack Five, Renounce Religion,
Evoke Invisibility
}: 2/15 runes: decaying, serpentine
Also, is there anything I should be aware of before doing Vaults? This is the first time I've ever seen - let alone taken - any runes, so I sorta just want to win a game with this character. I've got legendary decks galore, 2 fan of gales, 2 stones of tremors, a disc of storms and a phial of floods, as well as two wands of healing. Please help me avoid screwing this up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Your skills are spread real thin, dude. Stop training all those ancillary magic schools. You'll want to get Dodging up soon, after you get Fighting and Evocations to a reasonable level.

• Locked thread