Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
As time went on I felt like there wasn't as much in the way of weird details thrown in as there had been in previous acts.

Then I saw the foghorn.

Edit: Junebug certainly seems to have changed a lot since the first trailer. Didn't she get a mention in The Entertainment as well? That was set at least a couple decades ago, so I wonder if that's supposed to be the same person.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Well gently caress. Seems like you can get irreversibly stuck if you go to the Self Storage in Act 3. There's really no reason to go there as far as I can tell, so you can probably completely avoid it.

Also, has anyone got a "map" for navigating The Zero?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ymgve posted:

Well gently caress. Seems like you can get irreversibly stuck if you go to the Self Storage in Act 3. There's really no reason to go there as far as I can tell, so you can probably completely avoid it.

That's a good way to go totally insane

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Acquire Currency! posted:

That's a good way to go totally insane

One thing I just discovered is that some of the objects in The Zero has a "turn around" icon when you stop near them. But not all of them. (And a lot of those that don't have one still change your path so not sure what the significance is.

I could just use the sleep thing, but then I miss out on stuff.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The game does give you directions in the Zero, its in your notes on the menu screen.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
To the locations you know about. I want to see the random things you can stumble upon.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Ah, I did run into a couple side-areas during Act 2, but I didn't for 3. I did make sure to check out everything on the Kentucky map in Act 3. The movie and driving people around were nice.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Just realized that Junebug and Johnny are almost certainly the entertainment mentioned in The Entertainment. I love how all these little side details come together.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Can't believe I didn't get that in retrospect.

It's been a while, wasn't Joseph and his group referenced in Limits and Demonstrations too? I think that exhibit was about them.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 8, 2014

Escape Car 3000
Oct 12, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

Can't believe I didn't get that in retrospect.

It's been a while wasn't Joseph and his group referenced in Limits and Demonstrations too? I think that exhibit was about them.

Yeah, their trip down the hole was described in the tape exhibit. It's pretty cool seeing how all these fragments are starting to come together after each act comes out.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone reminded me in the steam thread that the mp3's for the act are in the KRZ folder. Including Junebug's song.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ymgve posted:

To reach enlightenment, go three triangles into the smell of wool and turn nineteen.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Act III took almost a full year to come out. Time to start timing Act IV.

The best thing the devs could do it to make it clear that this isn't very awesome. Maybe something crazy like, "If either Act IV or V takes longer to come out than Act III did, will will permanently reduce the game's price. If they both do, we'll reduce it twice. If IV takes longer and V somehow takes longer still, we will permanently release the game as freeware because honestly, if it comes to that, gently caress us."

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Lance Streetman posted:

Just realized that Junebug and Johnny are almost certainly the entertainment mentioned in The Entertainment. I love how all these little side details come together.

Junebug is mentioned in The Entertainment as being the entertainment. No mention of Johnny, though.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

BiggerJ posted:

Act III took almost a full year to come out. Time to start timing Act IV.

The best thing the devs could do it to make it clear that this isn't very awesome. Maybe something crazy like, "If either Act IV or V takes longer to come out than Act III did, will will permanently reduce the game's price. If they both do, we'll reduce it twice. If IV takes longer and V somehow takes longer still, we will permanently release the game as freeware because honestly, if it comes to that, gently caress us."

Well, I'm pretty sure that somewhere either in their "sorry this is taking so long" blog post or on their twitter somewhere around that time, they estimated that neither of the remaining acts should take this long, so there's that.

I can't imagine what it must feel like to have been one of the original KS backers of this thing, though.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
To be fair, considering how much stuff is in act 3, I doubt they thought it would take this long. They may have had issues getting their engine to cooperate with all of the crazy crap they pulled in Act 3.

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

Replaying Act I, and I just found a little homage to TellTale's The Walking Dead.

It's not subtle at all, but I found it charming.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I just played The Entertainment after Act 3, and since it's a play I decided to turn all the lights off to experience it "properly". Even if you know the skeleton guy is coming, even if you hear the hum and know he's gonna be right there, it's still extraordinarily freaky seeing him in the dark.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Walrus Truck posted:

Replaying Act I, and I just found a little homage to TellTale's The Walking Dead.

It's not subtle at all, but I found it charming.

I just finished Act I again today and didn't catch it. Mind sharing?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DannyTanner posted:

In its on a computer in the museum that the dude that runs Equus Oils tells you to check out in Act 1. They also namedrop Digital: A Love Story and Syberia too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

In its on a computer in the museum that the dude that runs Equus Oils tells you to check out in Act 1. They also namedrop Digital: A Love Story and Syberia too.

That password sequence was what sold me on the series in the first place.

I talk and listen to him talking.
The moon throbs.
It will only get later.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So are we even going to attempt to get all the possible differences from XANADU

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

DannyTanner posted:

XANADU gave me Zork flashbacks.

Edit: If the image breaks tables, please tell me so I can fix it. I'm using the iPhone app, so I can't tell if it does.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Walrus Truck posted:

XANADU gave me Zork flashbacks.

Which is weird, because it's based on (Colossal Cave) Adventure.

e: also, I was just told who the four people in a specific location in episode 3 are meant to be, and really it's the most obvious thing after the fact:

- Amy Briggs (Infocom's "Plundered Hearts")
- Donald Woods (Colossal Cave)
- Roberta Williams (Sierra)
- Andrew Plotkin(?, presumably)

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 9, 2014

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

gschmidl posted:

e: also, I was just told who the four people in a specific location in episode 3 are meant to be, and really it's the most obvious thing after the fact:

- Amy Briggs (Infocom's "Plundered Hearts")
- Donald Woods (Colossal Cave)
- Roberta Williams (Sierra)
- Andrew Plotkin(?, presumably)

Dang, didn't realize this.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Is there anything interesting written on the headstones in the graveyard? The first thing I did was talk to Junebug and it just skips to the next scene after that.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I always just assume graveyard headstones in games are friends and family of the developer or people that contributed to the game in some way. Nothing really stuck out to me as being story related, or an easter egg, or a reference, or anything.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Is there anything interesting written on the headstones in the graveyard? The first thing I did was talk to Junebug and it just skips to the next scene after that.

I'm pretty sure the name of the trucker that Conway is replacing is on one of the tombstones. I read them all, but that's the only one I remember.

Did anyone else play XANADU all the way to the end? Man, that was a slog, but I think it shed some light on parts of the story I was wondering about.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

No I think there's some important stuff there other than friends of devs. There's the name the poster above me mentioned and I want to say some of the people from The Entertainment. Could be wrong about that.
As for Xanadu stuff, did anyone else get Weaver chasing after The Strangers and never returning?

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

Acquire Currency! posted:

No I think there's some important stuff there other than friends of devs. There's the name the poster above me mentioned and I want to say some of the people from The Entertainment. Could be wrong about that.
As for Xanadu stuff, did anyone else get Weaver chasing after The Strangers and never returning?

Yep, I got that too.

The XANADU portion of the game was great for being more "interactive," but it took waaaaay too long to get through it. I had to quit and start over the next day because it doesn't save progress until after you're done. :/

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Marquez/Macondo is a pretty obvious literary reference, considering the whole magical realism aspect.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Man, Act 3 was way longer than I was expecting it to be, though I'm not sure how much of it was XANADU being more drawn-out than it should have been. At any rate, I loved it and can't wait for more. Hopefully not a year again, but they can take all the time they need to get more of that.

My favorite part was definitely the song though. Goddamn, that was beautiful.

Gol
Apr 23, 2006
John Romero's Bitch

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

There were tasting notes written in chalk on each headstone for me, combined with a few other things that Lem said in the distillery itself and my takeaway was that they are using corpses in the distilling process.

The interweaving of both the events in The Entertainment and XANADU into the timeline was so well done, finishing XANADU and the conversation picking up right where the game left off and Weaver chasing after the strangers in XANADU then appearing to be the one who provided them the formula were both great touches. I'm just loving the tone and aesthetic of this game, right now it feels like they could do just about anything and get away with it.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I'm glad the episode is finally here, and I enjoyed it - the song was the standout moment for me - although some of the moments did feel a lot slower than the previous episodes. I know this game is so much about atmosphere and it's never been action packed, but I do hope the next episodes are a little leaner and come out sooner (while still being just as crazy and creative).

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012
One year later, huh?
Worth the wait. I particularly enjoyed Conway's flashbacks in the factory. It made trying, and failing to resist the top shelf drink even harder

Some speculation:
Debt is linked to the skeletons. I'm realizing now that Weaver might have gone to them to help pay off her college loans.
The crashed whisky driver is referenced by Joseph at the start of Act 1, and you can find his truck. Perhaps a vision of Conway's future?

Edit:
Doolittle is the author of the Entertainment.

NorthByNorthwest fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 12, 2014

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

NorthByNorthwest posted:

Some speculation:
Debt is linked to the skeletons. I'm realizing now that Weaver might have gone to them to help pay off her college loans.

Wasn't that also shown in The Entertainment?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

ymgve posted:

This has been patched.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
What was up with Junebug and johnny changing outfits several times, and why was Junebug walking all stilted in the last few scenes? I guess she's a robot due to noises but she made those noises the whole game. And why? weird man.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Quiet Python posted:

Did anyone else play XANADU all the way to the end? Man, that was a slog, but I think it shed some light on parts of the story I was wondering about.

What was the end? I only got to Weaver's leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maultaschen
Jan 19, 2004

I played it until I had realism and romance to 100%, but they went down the very next turn. After that I just quit it , which I guess is what you're supposed to do anyway?

• Locked thread