Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Matt Barkley, pick #98, 4th round pick

I'm thinking of some chart or something that tracks how far off predictions are from the actual drafted slot of the player and by how far before the draft the predictions/"I'm hearings" are reported. Also one that lets you drill down on which reporters are the best/worst.

I have absolutely no idea how to make this come about or if it makes sense.

e:

Rap posted:

If I start a thread for this after the draft, would you want to help me work back through this draft and the previous one and add these up?

I'll be no help at all I'm sure other than maybe with some KC guys, but I'd love to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rap posted:

If I start a thread for this after the draft, would you want to help me work back through this draft and the previous one and add these up?
I could maybe contribute here and there, literally all I'm doing is searching player names on Rotoworld because the 3rd day picks often ONLY have news relating to their draft since they often don't contribute enough to make a headline otherwise.

quote:

NFL Draft insider Tony Pauline reports a "number of teams" now have UCLA's Johnathan Franklin graded ahead of Alabama's Eddie Lacy as the No. 1 running back in the draft.

quote:

CBS' Jason La Canfora expects UCLA RB Johnathan Franklin to be the first running back drafted.

Jonathan Franklin, pick #125, 4th round, 7th running back selected

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

^^^^ I love this.

Rap posted:

Page views on Twitter are beyond meaningless. But there is a feeling among journalists that the public deserves to know (even if it's just, the public deserves to know what your source is saying) and there's a potential for wanting to please the source and not insult him/her by treating the information as not credible

Oh, he linked to the story in the tweet, too: http://www.wgr550.com/Sources--Beckham--Jr--in-serious-consideration-for/9034669?pid=400271

Another possibility: the beat writers' sources are from outside the franchise and the ones being spun?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Remember when Russ Lande had Nassib No. 1 on his board? Not the top QB, but No. 1 overall?

Good times.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

A rehash, but this time by 538.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/no-team-can-beat-the-draft/

quote:

Even if we look at executives’ drafts in three-year segments — which is, by definition, conditional on a GM retaining his job for six seasons (an eternity in the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately world of the NFL) — the relationship between drafting performance from one three-year span and the next is weak at best.

While some veteran general managers were able to sustain positive returns above average over six or more years, even theirs were not unqualified success stories. Along with former Green Bay Packers GM Ron Wolf, ex-San Diego Chargers GM A.J. Smith and ex-Indianapolis Colts GM Bill Polian were the three best drafting executives in our data set on a per-pick basis. But as Pro-Football-Reference’s Stuart notes, despite Smith and Polian’s track records, both were fired from their posts after a series of poor drafts.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

So they get to pick walk up music this year? That's crazy, I wonder what obnoxious song Manziel has selected.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Eltoasto posted:

So they get to pick walk up music this year? That's crazy, I wonder what obnoxious song Manziel has selected.
I Saw the Sign

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

It's been extremely clear for many years now that first rounders aren't remotely worth what they're trumpeted as. I remember people heavily criticizing the Seahawks trading draft picks for Percy Harvin. They somehow never took in account that the chances of drafting a player of Harvin's talent aren't nearly as reliable as using that same draft pick to "draft" an actual Percy Harvin.

And what did Minnesota do with that draft pick they got? Tried to draft a replacement for Harvin.

(Now obviously in hindsight the Harvin trade doesn't look that great for Seattle)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mo Money Mo Problems

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
La Canfora isn't bad, but the absolute worst is that one dude who is a massive Ohio State fan in the most smug way possible on Twitter.

Intruder posted:

People please stop suggesting the Cowboys trade Romo, they literally can't without destroying their cap

He's literally a load-bearing QB. :v:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 8, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Eltoasto posted:

Goodell walks out to C.R.E.A.M with his erect dick hanging out of the fly of his pants.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Here comes Aaron Rodgers to the podium to announce Green Bay's pick

*"trapped in the closet" plays*

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
Ian Rapoport apparently just said on NFL Network that he "thinks" Manziel goes to the Vikings.

Even keeping in mind the draft-week reports from the last page, I do hope that happens. Although it won't be as sweet without seeing Gendo's reaction.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I believe I've already given reason to not listen to Ian Rapoport!!

fluffer muffle
Oct 15, 2010

RE: RUN SUPPORT

Intruder posted:

Mo Money Mo Problems

The 2014 Oakland Raiders

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Manziel to the Vikings is part of my entry for a draft prediction contest so I kinda hope so :getin:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ian Rapoport just leaked Manziel's intro for tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mysAiGzfris

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

I want whatever picks lead to maximum hilarity except for my own team who should draft 6 future HoF's.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

At this point the only thing that hasn't been said about Manziel or Bridgewater in terms of when/where they're going is that one of them is going undrafted.

Rooting for the comedy option, let's do this.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I want the Texans to come out of this draft with Clowney, Bridgewater, Mack, Nix and Watkins, hopefully they can make that happen

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Quest For Glory II posted:

I could maybe contribute here and there, literally all I'm doing is searching player names on Rotoworld because the 3rd day picks often ONLY have news relating to their draft since they often don't contribute enough to make a headline otherwise.

Jonathan Franklin, pick #125, 4th round, 7th running back selected

What I'm getting from all these is that Jason La Canfora is about as reliable as my first car was.

RIP Blue Frawwwwg.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Doctor Candiru posted:

Ian Rapoport apparently just said on NFL Network that he "thinks" Manziel goes to the Vikings.

Even keeping in mind the draft-week reports from the last page, I do hope that happens. Although it won't be as sweet without seeing Gendo's reaction.

I think I remember Gendo saying he'd be okay with JFF, since he does have decent potential, but I could be completely misremembering it. Either way, I wouldn't freak out if we got him, we could do much much worse at QB with the 8th pick. As such, I'm fully anticipating we grab Boyd, because the Ponder pick scarred me.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Goetta posted:

Ian Rapoport just leaked Manziel's intro for tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mysAiGzfris

What no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm4TG56KGZ4

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

bhsman posted:

La Canfora isn't bad, but the absolute worst is that one dude who is a massive Ohio State fan in the most smug way possible on Twitter.

He's literally a load-bearing QB. :v:

Albert Breer?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I hope someone picks "We're in the money" for their song

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Someone is definitely going to use Happy

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's going to be like 20 dudes coming up to that draft song drake did

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Alright I got about 6 hours before the draft hits and I have 54 players prepped and ready. Last year I had 44 and missed 3 picks, so I feel good but not totally confident yet. Even though the last several on this list are sort of joke picks that I highly doubt will go anywhere in the 1st, gotta play it safe. So I'll ask again. Who might be a reach candidate for the first round?

1. Jadeveon Clowney – DE – South Carolina
2. Greg Robinson – OT- Auburn
3. Khalil Mack – OLB – Buffalo
4. Sammy Watkins – WR – Clemson
5. Jake Matthews – OT – Texas A&M
6. Teddy Bridgewater – QB – Louisville
7. Johnny Manziel – QB – Texas A&M
8. Blake Bortles – QB – Central Florida
9. Anthony Barr – OLB – UCLA
10. Mike Evans – WR – Texas A&M
11. Marqise Lee – WR – USC
12. Eric Ebron – TE – North Carolina
13. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix – S- Alabama
14. CJ Mosley – ILB – Alabama
15. Taylor Lewan – OT – Michigan
16. Timmy Jernigan – DT – Florida State
17. Zack Martin – OT – Notre Dame
18. Brandon Cooks – WR – Oregon State
19. Austin Seferian-Jenkins – TE – Washington
20. David Yankey – OG – Stanford
21. Xavier Su'a-Filo, -OG- UCLA
22. Dee Ford – DE – Auburn
23. Kony Ealy – DE- Missouri
24. Jason Verrett – CB – TCU
25. Kyle Fuller – CB – Virginia Tech
26. Derek Carr – QB – Fresno State
27. Odell Beckham – WR – LSU
28. Louis Nix – DT – Notre Dame
29. Justin Gilbert – CB – Oklahoma State
30. Darqueze Dennard – CB – Michigan state
31. Aaron Donald – DT – Pittsburgh
32. Calvin Pryor – S – Louisville
33. Ra'Shede Hageman – DT- Minnesota
34. Ryan Shazier- OLB- Ohio State
35. Bradley Roby -CB- Ohio State
36. Morgan Moses – OT – Virginia
37. Cody Latimer – WR – Indiana
38. Jace Amaro -TE - Texas Tech
39. Joel Bitonio – OT – Nevada
40. Dominique Easley – DT – Florida
41. Demarcus Lawrence, DE Boise
42. Jimmie Ward, S Northern Illinois
43. Cyrus Kouandjio, T Alabama
44. Allen Robinson, WR Penn
45. Carlos Hyde, RB Ohio
46. Stephon Tuitt, DT Notre Dame
47. Lamarcus Joyner, CB Florida State
48. Kelvin Benjamin, WR Florida State
49. AJ McCarron – QB – Alabama
50. Kyle Van Noy – LB – BYU
51. Tom Savage – QB - Pittsburgh
52. Jimmy Garoppolo – QB Eastern Illinois
53. Ja'Wuan James – OT – Tennessee
54. Stan Jean-Baptiste – CB - Nebraska

Those last two I got off Kiper's last mock, even though even I can guess those are terrible choices.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@RapSheet: #Jets are doing a lot of groundwork for QBs that may land in the first round or early in the 2nd round. Watch for Carr, watch for Garoppolo

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
As of 1pm, Sammy Watkins has "taken over" NFL's instagram to post pictures behind the scenes of the draft.

In 53 minutes, this is all that has been posted...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's some bland looking breakfast.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

#grainsandprotein #riseandgrind

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
"Yes, I'll have 1/4 of a waffle"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

if you don't eat waffles one triangle at a time wtf u doin

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is it 7:00 pm central yet?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

EVENING OF THE FIRST DAY

SIX HOURS REMAIN

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
"lol forgot to get utensils"

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I'll scream my loving head off if JFF goes to the Bucs

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

#insider#continentalbreakfast#thisishowwedo#syrupisforphilistines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Brannock posted:

(Now obviously in hindsight the Harvin trade doesn't look that great for Seattle)

Your example skews the argument if you use a veteran player trade as an example because now you have to take in the cap and contracts as a factor. Seattle was in a rare situation where they could give up a pick and sign a large deal.

• Locked thread