Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Red Bones posted:

Can you equip armour on your party members in this game or are they just doing the ME2/ME3/DA2 thing where everyone has a couple of costumes?
Awhile ago, they held a panel on "unique" armor for each companion, to where one suit of armor would automatically adjust to have a different style depending on who you put it on- the examples given were Cassandra and the Warden, I believe, just to show how it would vary. But that was quite a ways back, so things might have changed since. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Red Bones posted:

Can you equip armour on your party members in this game or are they just doing the ME2/ME3/DA2 thing where everyone has a couple of costumes?

You armor up companions again, but the equipment will adjust itself to the character's aesthetics.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 9, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So you put armor on the Iron Bull, and he takes off the top half so he still goes around shirtless?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Lotish posted:

So you put armor on the Iron Bull, and he takes off the top half so he still goes around shirtless?

Or wears tight straps over his shoulders to keep the silhouette. It's probably the best way to have iconic looks and upgradeable gear but it seems a bit labour intensive, assuming it's not palette-swapping.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It kind of makes me think of how armor was handled in Diablo 3, where each character class just had their own increasingly armored looks/character models, and giving them a piece of armor would swap between them. Or something like that I think, it's been a while since I've played. It does seem somewhat labor intensive with the number of companions they've got, though.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I can't wait to ride Dasher around as my female, mage, Qunari saving the world from all these stupid human and elf mages and priests. Hopefully some form of "grump" will be involved.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I can't find any threads on the original Dragon Age: Origins, but it's on sale on Steam right now for $7.49. What are Goons' opinions on it? Does it require a billion mods to be fun? Can I just play through casually and enjoy myself, or does it require autistic levels of dedication and attention?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Ynglaur posted:

I can't find any threads on the original Dragon Age: Origins, but it's on sale on Steam right now for $7.49. What are Goons' opinions on it? Does it require a billion mods to be fun? Can I just play through casually and enjoy myself, or does it require autistic levels of dedication and attention?

Go for it. It's a fun romp.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

Check the Steam threads, there is a problem with the EA authentication that requires a relatively simply workaround to get the DLC working.

Also, get on the Bioware Social Network site (but never read it), register your DA:O game, and you can get all the pre-order DLC items for free.

quote:

If you cannot see DLCs or Other campaigns, do this
1. Go to folder 'Steam\steamapps\common\Dragon Age Ultimate Edition\redist'
2. Run DAOU_UpdateAddinsXML_Steam.exe or DAO_UpdateAddinsXml_Steam.exe or whatever the blazes its name is.
3. ???
4. Profit!

About account passwords: If you cannot login to the game, change your account's password to letters and numbers only. No symbols or other special characters.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 9, 2014

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ynglaur posted:

It's solid, but not earth-shattering. Grab it if you liked the old Infinity engine games. Do grab the ultimate edition ($7.49), because Awakening is also pretty good. Unless you find yourself really liking the combat, feel free to play on easy (and switch it to easy once you hit the Deep Roads no matter what, because gently caress), since the combat can end up being a slog otherwise.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 9, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Counterpoint: Do not play on easy because that defeats the whole appeal of the combat. It's supposed to be hard and you'll probably die a lot in the beginning but once you get going and start to understand the combat you'll be kicking rear end and you'll feel good doing so because it feels like you're matching the challenge rather than the challenge disappearing.

Definitely get it, it's a great game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

It's solid, but not earth-shattering. Grab it if you liked the old Infinity engine games. Do grab the ultimate edition (7.49), because Awakening is also pretty good. Unless you find yourself really liking the combat, feel free to play on easy (and switch it to easy once you hit the Deep Roads no matter what, because gently caress), since the combat can end up being a slog otherwise.

Oh, and play the mage tower first. You can get permanent stat bonuses plus the only healer in the game, something essential if you do want to play the game on normal/hard.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

PantsBandit posted:

Counterpoint: Do not play on easy because that defeats the whole appeal of the combat.

If you can find appeal in DA:O's combat, more power to you. I personally never found it particularly compelling (or challenging, just time-consuming), so that's the advice I'm gonna give. :shrug:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I couldn't have stomached DA:O's combat if I hadn't modded it to run twice as fast. It is so slow and so bad. Awakening improves on it a lot, but the main campaign's combat is this dragging, poorly-balanced mess that takes a million years while your characters shuffle around and fall over.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Ynglaur posted:

Does it require a billion mods to be fun?

Nothing is mandatory but the Respec Mod is highly recommended to avoid screwing up your character builds permanently when you aren't familiar with the ruleset.

There are also some bugs where the game either fails to do what's in the tooltip or even behaves in the complete opposite way and I think the Rules Fixpack addresses most of them.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I mean goons are always going to be more likely to voice negative opinions more quickly than positive ones but it seems to me that the more common opinion is that the combat was one of the better parts of Origins so I'd say for a new player it's worth playing on normal at least at first. If you don't like it then turn it down.

And yeah, it's relatively slow-paced but that's not necessarily a flaw it's just supposed to encourage you to spend some time thinking out your moves before making them.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 9, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
To be fair, his suggestion is perfectly in line with Dragon Age 2.

That said, DA1 is pretty clunky on the combat, but it's solid enough to be worth keeping as a challenge.

Have fun in the Fade. :laugh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I played DA:O on Normal and only had any trouble at all with like, one mandatory fight and one optional fight in the entire game (and I didn't even get the healer party member until almost last). :shrug:

This was on console, mind you, but I didn't have trouble when I replayed it on PC either.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

DA1's combat is fun if you are the type of person who played Baldour's Gate and enjoyed spamming to pause every few seconds, and having small encounters take 2-3 minutes. I can't play on anything but easy nowadays, because it just takes too long. On easy I can beat the deep roads in like, two hours if I rush. On anything higher it basically triples how long it takes.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I found it quite fun once it was running twice as fast, for what that's worth. It's not like it's unenjoyable, it just is incredibly slow out of the box, and most encounters are pretty simple, enough so that taking as long as they do feels less like you're really thinking them over and more like you're waiting for something obvious to happen.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Ynglaur posted:

Definitively get DAO and the Awakenings DLC. You don't need mod, except maybe the Respec (you get to re-allocate your characters and NPC talents) and 2H and Bow Balance (they are a bit underpowered in the base game, although it's totally playable). It's a great game and at that price it's a steal. Also, though I hate to open a :can: but don't buy DA2.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

KittyEmpress posted:

DA1's combat is fun if you are the type of person who played Baldour's Gate and enjoyed spamming to pause every few seconds

I almost never had to do this. It's like you people played an entirely different game than I did. :confused:

For reference, the first time through my Warden was a Dalish Rogue :ninja: and my party was pretty much always "Morrigan, Alistair, Sten". Most fights played out like an Action RPG.

(Also, I did the Deep Roads last, maybe that helped?)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

KittyEmpress posted:

DA1's combat is fun if you are the type of person who played Baldour's Gate and enjoyed spamming to pause every few seconds, and having small encounters take 2-3 minutes. I can't play on anything but easy nowadays, because it just takes too long. On easy I can beat the deep roads in like, two hours if I rush. On anything higher it basically triples how long it takes.

Sure, but it adds to the challenge, which makes it more fun and engaging.

Removing challenge seems kind of counter intuitive for a videogame. Note: Challenge does not equate to difficulty, so if it's too hard for you, then lowering the difficulty is perfectly valid - but then again, figuring out how to resolve challenges is also fun.

It's like playing chess and then saying, nah, I'm going to just play tic-tac-toe, instead.

But, you play your way and I'll play mine, so long as we both have fun that's what matters. DA1 is at least made so that it CAN be a challenge, unlike the shittily designed DA2 combat - damage sponging and arena wave enemies was a pretty dick move, Bioware.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Thanks Goons: I'm now the proud owner of DA: Origins - Ultimate. Maybe someday I'll even have time to play it!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Drifter posted:

Sure, but it adds to the challenge, which makes it more fun and engaging.

Removing challenge seems kind of counter intuitive for a videogame. Note: Challenge does not equate to difficulty, so if it's too hard for you, then lowering the difficulty is perfectly valid - but then again, figuring out how to resolve challenges is also fun.

It's like playing chess and then saying, nah, I'm going to just play tic-tac-toe, instead.

But, you play your way and I'll play mine, so long as we both have fun that's what matters. DA1 is at least made so that it CAN be a challenge, unlike the shittily designed DA2 combat - damage sponging and arena wave enemies was a pretty dick move, Bioware.

By the time I got to the Deep Roads it took like a full minute to load each goddamn area because of that loving bug :argh:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Drifter posted:

Have fun in the Fade. :laugh:

I liked the Fade the first time around, gently caress ever replaying it though.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Thanks Goons: I'm now the proud owner of DA: Origins - Ultimate. Maybe someday I'll even have time to play it!

The base game is over 50 hours with the embedded DLC locations. Probably another 30+ for Awakening and the myriad of mini campaigns.

Mage is the master race, dual wield warrior is ok for brainless slashing, and yeah the long Fade section sucks balls.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

sauer kraut posted:

The base game is over 50 hours with the embedded DLC locations. Probably another 30+ for Awakening and the myriad of mini campaigns.

Mage is the master race, dual wield warrior is ok for brainless slashing, and yeah the long Fade section sucks balls.

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure I remember archer specs being terrible also, so probably skip on that and just take another mage instead.

Really, take as many mages as you can.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

IPlayVideoGames posted:

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure I remember archer specs being terrible also, so probably skip on that and just take another mage instead.

Really, take as many mages as you can.

Yeah they buffed archers in Awakening but for the base campaign they're pretty rear end. Personally I found rogue to be really fun as it has a high risk/reward system. You have to be careful about the situations you get yourself into but you can do hefty damage to single targets.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
DA1's combat is kinda like Baldur's Gate's, except good because it's less clunky and doesn't require forehand knowledge of the encounters. And doesn't use D&D rules. It's pretty great, especially if you get the respec mod, spec all the companions properly and play on the hardest difficulty.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Backstab rogue is fun in theory, but the AI is terrible at tanking and holding aggro.
So after one hit enemies turn around and you end up dueling stuff all the time, and you ask yourself why bother playing a lovely squishy warrior.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Except for the part where warriors are double rear end because they shuffle around for a while before they find a sweet spot to whack from. Then the target moves and repeat.

Fixing that is like the one design intent that DA2 succeeded in.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Shugojin posted:

Except for the part where warriors are double rear end because they shuffle around for a while before they find a sweet spot to whack from. Then the target moves and repeat.

Fixing that is like the one design intent that DA2 succeeded in.

The only use that warriors had in Origins was to stand around and take beatings while rogues and mages did all the real work (two-handed warriors did that while providing comedy for the others as they struggled to lift their weapons and miss). That game's entire combat engine was absolute garbage that I cannot fathom defending.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 9, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

sauer kraut posted:

Backstab rogue is fun in theory, but the AI is terrible at tanking and holding aggro.
So after one hit enemies turn around and you end up dueling stuff all the time, and you ask yourself why bother playing a lovely squishy warrior.

I never really had this issue. I found Alistair using taunt (or something similar, don't remember what the actual move was) could agro well enough that I could get my damage in.

Plus rogues have a ton of stun abilities. Dirty fighting in particular you get super early and stuns virtually anything.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 9, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mymla posted:

DA1's combat is kinda like Baldur's Gate's, except good because it's less clunky and doesn't require forehand knowledge of the encounters. And doesn't use D&D rules. It's pretty great, especially if you get the respec mod, spec all the companions properly and play on the hardest difficulty.

Except of course that Baldur's Gate's combat was better than Origin's ever was. Even DA2's combat was better than Origin's, because it wasn't as slow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Duelist Rogue is a much better Warrior than Warrior in DAO, like, by a longshot.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Geostomp posted:

The only use that warriors had in Origins was to stand around and take beatings while rogues and mages did all the real work (two-handed warriors did that while providing comedy for the others as they struggled to lift their weapons and miss). That game's entire combat engine was absolute garbage that I cannot fathom defending.

It worked out pretty well if you went for bringing every wizard you could find and just nuking the entire battlefield and letting whatever sort of god may or may not exist sort it all out. I guess.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Since I've beaten the game several times, I always cheats when I play now. And I would recommend the mod that increases the chances of the death animation triggering. Buffing up the STR of my character, combined with a 100% of the death animation triggering makes the game a bloody(-ier) affair.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Both games I ran with all the mages I could (and prefered Mage-Warden and Mage-Hawke, so that was normally 3 at a time) with one rogue to do lockpicking. Being able to set up storm of the century at the beginning of each fight using Warden/Morrigan/Wynne? Yes please. Plus if I need a tank, I can just throw someone in arcane warrior spec and have a better tank than a warrior ever would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Geostomp posted:

DW warriors were great, you shut your mouth! Best party: Me as DW warrior, Dog, Alister, Sten :colbert:

• Locked thread