Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've been mulling over buying an a6000 but I think I convinced myself to save a little more and just get an X-T1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I love my x100, but if I wanted to step into a Fuji with interchangeable lenses, what model should I go for?

Once I bought my x100 I stopped paying attention to the many bodies Fuji has put out and now I'm behind the times.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you have the money, the X-T1 is the best in the line right now, then then X-E1/2 are also pretty popular and cheaper. I think someone is selling a X-E1 in the buy sell thread right now even. If you are short on money, there's the X-A1 without the trans sensor or neat retro body styling.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Rontalvos posted:

I love my x100, but if I wanted to step into a Fuji with interchangeable lenses, what model should I go for?

Once I bought my x100 I stopped paying attention to the many bodies Fuji has put out and now I'm behind the times.

If you love everything about the OVF get an Xpro-1, if you don't care about it get an XE-2 or XT-1 depending on your budget.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Elliotw2 posted:

Along with the still kinda weak E-mount line up, the A6000's viewfinder is supposed to be noticeably worse than the older NEX one and other mirrorless viewfinders.

I didn't handle it long in the store, but it actually seemed a little better than the GH3's to me. No experience with the previous NEX viewfinders. I did handle an XT-1 while I was there. Definitely a nice camera. Too bad Fuji's video is so poor, but it probably does make the most sense for them to focus on stills.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I will say that I love the hell out of my NEX, even though I entirely use it manual focus with all sorts of adapted lenses. Remember to look at Sigma's lenses, since their 30mm and 60mm are supposed to be fantastic in E mount.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I really like my NEX-5N with the Sigma 19mm Art as a complement to my X-T1 for video. I can get usable stills out of it even at 12600 ISO, and the lack of viewfinder isn't terribly bothersome for me. If it's good enough for Philip Bloom it's good enough for me.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Geektox posted:

I really like my NEX-5N with the Sigma 19mm Art as a complement to my X-T1 for video. I can get usable stills out of it even at 12600 ISO, and the lack of viewfinder isn't terribly bothersome for me. If it's good enough for Philip Bloom it's good enough for me.

I've read now he uses an A7R with the 35/1.4 Sigma ART, seems like a cool setup. Now very compact, because of the lens, when compared to the 35/2.8 but definitely sharper and faster.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I am considering the XT-1.

It looks like it'll cost:
$1300 body only
$600 Fujinon XF 35mm F1.4R
Whatever else I need
:negative:

God damnit fujifilm.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
You could always wait for a sale, or buy your stuff in Canada. I did both of those things and paid USD $1922 for the X-T1 and 23mm f1.4, which wasn't even available to buy anywhere online in the US and would have cost me $2300+ even if I could have bought it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Yeah for the love of god don't pay full price for that stuff. Have some patience, Fuji's stuff goes on sale constantly (especially body+lens combos).

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

That's the canadian price, since I live in Canada.

Basically what I need to do is win the lottery and also wait for it to go on sale.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You will be able to pick up a XT1 for cheap when the XPro2 is out. Also new version of 35mm is coming out too.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Personally, I'm banking on the XT1 early adoption crowd to get bored with their toys before going for one. It's too new for the prices to drop right now, but come September...

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
When the XT-2 comes out, XT-1 prices will tank. Wait on that if you really want to save money.
Or just get what you can afford and get your moneys worth out of it by using and enjoying it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Or, you know, buy the camera you want now because the X-Pro 2 and X-T2 are at least a year out, if nor more for the X-T2.

Fuji's said multiple times now they are cutting back the body-rush.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

I am considering the XT-1.

It looks like it'll cost:
$1300 body only
$600 Fujinon XF 35mm F1.4R
Whatever else I need
:negative:

God damnit fujifilm.

What else do you need? Seriously with my XPro1 I had the 35mm as my only lens for about 6 months, it's a pretty lovely lens.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Since I'm going to start working again soon, I picked up a used XF 18-55 on the cheap. For me the X-T1+18-55mm will be the real test of the system's workability at the professional level. As long as it is on-par with the 5D2+24-70 2.8L (which I expect it to be), it should be plenty. On one hand, variable aperture is bleh. On the other: OIS.

feigning interest posted:

The upcoming 16-55 2.8 will be fuji's 24-70 2.8L. Constant 2.8 aperture, IS, Weather Sealed, gently caress-off huge, and expensive as hell. :getin:

Yeah but that poo poo is at least 5-6 months away, and I can't wait that long :smith:

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 14, 2014

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
The upcoming 16-55 2.8 will be fuji's 24-70 2.8L. Constant 2.8 aperture, IS, Weather Sealed, gently caress-off huge, and expensive as hell. :getin:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Every time I think about how great it would be to have the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 in X mount, I cry, because I know the Fuji 16-55 will cost over a grand.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Fuji's new marketing slogan should be "Imagine if Leica gear was actually worth the money. It's kinda like that."

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

Fuji's new marketing slogan should be "Imagine if Leica gear was actually worth the money. It's kinda like that."
Hahaha that's so on point.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bobfather posted:

Every time I think about how great it would be to have the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 in X mount, I cry, because I know the Fuji 16-55 will cost over a grand.

Meh. Putting the 18/2.0 and 35/1.4 on 2 X bodies are lighter than a Sigma 18-35 on a SLR body. Wait for the 16/1.4 if you don't like the 18mm.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Fuji X-T1: Buy with the lens kit or purchase a lens separately?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Fuji X-T1: Buy with the lens kit or purchase a lens separately?

I did both! Kit lens and the 35mm to give myself a couple of options.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Looks like I picked a good page to ask for advice since I'm looking at Fuji bodies.

I used to have a Canon 350D a few years back, but I was broke and had to pay this thing called "rent" and I sold it. I've been interested in the mirrorless cameras since the footprint is significantly smaller but there are no real compromises when it comes to controls, etc. After only having various smartphones with dubious quality at times, I want to be able to take decent pictures again.

I'm by no means a pro, but I can bluff my way into coming off like I know more about the fundamentals of photography if the occasion arises. I'm in a rough spot and I have some money burning a hole in my pocket (because spending money makes me feel better), so I've decided to look at mirrorless cameras again. Last time I looked, the Panasonic/Olympus bodies seemed like a good compromise and the X100 was just released and was the bee's knees. It doesn't look like the Canon/Nikon mirrorless options are all too great, so I'm thinking of picking up a Fuji X body of some sort.

Sooooooo... What sort of body/kit/package should I be looking at?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

What kind of budget are you looking at?

I'm no mirrorless expert but from what I can tell:

Canon and Nikon ones are a joke, and not a particularly funny one at that
Samsung isn't really popular in North America
Olympus and Panasonic are pretty good if you like micro 4/3
Fujifilm makes the fantastic x100s, xpro1, xe1, xt1, etc and they are great.
Sony makes some decent aps-c sensor sized cameras but they like to make kit lenses and more bodies than lenses.
Don't buy the pentax.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You can get a M43 one-before-latest gen body and kit for like $250. Do that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Budget is sub-$2k for the body, a kit lens, a prime lens (or two), and then like a quick holster so I can be That Guy.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

It's really tough to go wrong with the X-E1 and 18-55 kit right now. Adorama has it for $699: http://www.adorama.com/IFJXE1SK.html

The 18-55 kit lens is superlative, and if you back it up with a nice prime like the 23 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4, you'd be in business for way less than $2k.

In the mirrorless game, MFT is the only real competitor to Fuji in my opinion. I would not even consider Sony for how they've mishandled their system.

I do think the pro-level MFT bodies are really nice (the Olympus EM-5 and EM-1, most notably), but the thing that rubs me the wrong way about MFT is that they charge an arm and a leg for their lenses, when in reality your average MFT lens is way smaller and physically has much less glass than other lenses.

Case in point: the $1000 Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 OIS is $130 more expensive than the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS, and is about double the price of the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS. The Panasonic is literally half the weight of the Canon lens, indicating it has way less glass. Yet costs over 10% more. Unfortunately, inflated glass prices are the big gotcha of MFT, as well as the issues that arise from having a very small sensor.

I guess what I'm saying is, Fuji is the best.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

A couple months ago I picked up a Fuji X-E2 and Fujinon 35mm f1.4 for ~$1300 and it has been great.

Context: I was someone who read my friend's/family's camera manuals but never actually owned a camera. The X-E2 has been great to learn on but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who doesn't want to learn aperture/shutter/iso. P mode, at least for me, has been less than stellar.

e: ^^^ that price is crazy, they have the XF 18-55 lens for 694.99 or the X-E1 + 18-55 for 699.00. seems too good to be true.

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 15, 2014

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

CRAYON posted:

A couple months ago I picked up a Fuji X-E2 and Fujinon 35mm f1.4 for ~$1300 and it has been great.

Context: I was someone who read my friend's/family's camera manuals but never actually owned a camera. The X-E2 has been great to learn on but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who doesn't want to learn aperture/shutter/iso. P mode, at least for me, has been less than stellar.

e: ^^^ that price is crazy, they have the XF 18-55 lens for 694.99 or the X-E1 + 18-55 for 699.00. seems too good to be true.

The MSRP on the 18-55 is way too high. It ought to be a $400-$450 lens. Tops.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I picked up the X-E1, that price was too good versus paying double for a 1 year newer CMOS and a slightly larger screen.

I'm familiar with crop bodies and the multiplier to get the "actual" focal length, is there any of that with the Fuji X frames? I know that there's a bunch of goofy poo poo with the MFT and pancake lenses and stuff, but if I get a 35mm, it's just 35mm?

So so so what else should I pick up?

Thanks for pointing out the X-E1, goons are the best. :)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Since it's an APS-C only system, all the lenses should be labeled with the focal length you get, yeah. If you ever decide to mess with adapters from full frame mounts, Fuji is 1.5x.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes. It's an APS-C sensor so it's 1.5x. And MFT isn't goofy? It's just 2x. And it's the same crop factor no matter how panacakey or penile the lens is.

edit: who labels their lenses with an "equivalent" focal length? I see it for P&S stuff where the small chips can make it hard to compare, but MFT and APS-C always has the real focal length in my experience, so you do need to multiply it by the crop factor if you want to know what the FOV is like compared to on a full frame system.

powderific fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 15, 2014

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Phone posted:

I picked up the X-E1, that price was too good versus paying double for a 1 year newer CMOS and a slightly larger screen.

I'm familiar with crop bodies and the multiplier to get the "actual" focal length, is there any of that with the Fuji X frames? I know that there's a bunch of goofy poo poo with the MFT and pancake lenses and stuff, but if I get a 35mm, it's just 35mm?

Yes, you will have a crop multiplier for your field of view. Fuji lenses tend to be in focal lengths that translate to popular full frame equivalents though. The 35mm is pretty close to a 50mm, the 56mm is pretty close to an 85mm, the 18-55 is pretty close to 24-70, etc.

Phone posted:

So so so what else should I pick up?

The 35mm 1.4 is baller as gently caress. Its permanently attached to my XE-1. Depending on what kind of shooting you do, the 56mm 1.2 for portraits or the 14mm for wide both look rad as hell if a bit spendy. Maybe get a wrist strap. Some people really like these metal thumb rests although I don't find it necessary.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
But I'm used to a Canon crop factor of 1.6! :qq:

Cool, thanks for the info. Can't wait to get back to shooting.

E: poo poo, looks like the 35mm is out of stock everywhere

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Is this real life?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

It seems to be, it was up briefly on some Sony sites. When the price drops, I may finally upgrade from my RX100. It's been the best pocket camera I've owned. I'll take the wider and shorter zoom for the speed and EVF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The RX100 III is basically a tricked out 30 grand Mini Cooper.

I look forward a lot of people pay $800 for this sucker instead of $150 for a Nikon 1 lol.