Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

axleblaze posted:

My favorite lovely product placement will always be Kodak in the American Godzilla. Not just because I've never seen a Kodak disposable camera vending machine in my life, but also the fact that those things were far to lovely to actually be of any use in the situation they were being used for. It was the perfect combo of incredibly forced and false advertising.

Not that it wasn't product placement, but those existed:

quote:

Kodak entered into an alliance with Maytag Corporation, Maytag's Dixie-Narco vending machine division and e-Vend.net that would use vending machines and the Internet to expand the number of locations where consumers could buy film and one-time-use cameras.

I'm sure one in Times Square would do pretty good business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

morestuff posted:

Not that it wasn't product placement, but those existed:

I'm sure one in Times Square would do pretty good business.

You mean "would have done", right? Because I'm pretty sure camera phones killed the disposable camera dead dead dead.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DNS posted:

It's funny you'd say that because I feel like I've read a million posts about it on CD since it first came out, and I still don't understand what anyone likes about it (admittedly I checked out of the Prometheus thread a good while before it finally died). Like I've never been one of the dudes banging on pots and pans screaming that it sucks, I didn't think much of it but I didn't hate it either - but I feel like I've read relatively few posts by its advocates explaining why they respond to it. What makes it your jam?

Your boy Outlaw Vern has a similar reaction to mine:

quote:

So I can enjoy it. It’s a big crazy beautiful movie with the kind of dumb horror movie I like underneath. I wish some of these characters were a little smarter, but it’s almost like those frustrations make it more interesting to analyze. I don’t know if it’s a movie glorifying faith or criticizing people for stubbornly ignoring the facts in order to support their preconceived conclusions. Shaw is so identifiable that you figure you should take it at face value when she keeps talking about “because it’s what I choose to believe,” and yet, at the end of this movie she’s on a suicide mission with a treacherous talking severed head in a bag because she chooses to believe she deserves to ask more questions to the weird alien giants who, last time she tried to ask them questions, crushed several people with their bare hands and chased her off. Plus, her even coming here almost wiped out the Earth and she had to convince her friends to kill themselves in order to clean up that mess. She’s not the best poster girl for faith.

Man, I hope they figure out how to make that sequel!

That last line is verbatim what I was thinking, even the sequel hook is ridiculous.

It makes no attempt to hide its ludicrous premise and is all the better for it, which is why I like Guy Pearce as Weyland so much. Whereas you'd get some kind of nod to some kind of plausible justification for the long haul space mission, the crew of the Prometheus is expressly on the hell-planet to find God. It's one of those movies that I can't believe someone signed off on a huge budget for. It's a hundred million dollar Galaxy of Terror.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

My favorite product placement in a film remains the Chapstick scene from The Mothman Prophecies. To their credit, they manage to not completely dynamite the tension in the scene, but it's just so silly and obvious when you go back to it.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Slice of life: Remember how I told you a friend of mine hosed Clint Howard?

She is now pregnant.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Your boy Outlaw Vern has a similar reaction to mine:

That last line is verbatim what I was thinking, even the sequel hook is ridiculous.

It makes no attempt to hide its ludicrous premise and is all the better for it, which is why I like Guy Pearce as Weyland so much. Whereas you'd get some kind of nod to some kind of plausible justification for the long haul space mission, the crew of the Prometheus is expressly on the hell-planet to find God. It's one of those movies that I can't believe someone signed off on a huge budget for. It's a hundred million dollar Galaxy of Terror.

Haha alright, I can get on board with that. I sincerely love Vern's generosity towards the stuff he reviews - instead of thematic incoherence he sees crazy and thought provoking. I kinda feel like his is the 'right' way to watch movies.

I think the thing about Prometheus is when you recap it it sounds insane but the way it plays feels way more routine to me. Like Event Horizon or something. I'm not saying I want like Jim Varney yelling into a fisheye lens but... I dunno. Maybe I do want that.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Hewlett posted:

She is now pregnant.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Hewlett posted:

She is now pregnant.

:stare: Poor girl. It wasn't even an actor with an actual career.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Hewlett posted:

She is now pregnant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW7Op86ox9g

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

SALT CURES HAM posted:

He seems to be doing OK quantity-wise if not quality-wise.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Not just having sex with Clint Howard. Nah. Barebacking Clint Howard.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Hewlett posted:

She is now pregnant.

I loving love these forums.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I loving love these forums.

This is our segue into getting Clint Howard to sign up here.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hewlett posted:

She is now pregnant.

9 Months Later:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
What was the movie made with KFC money? Back in the 70's or so iirc.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
This is still the greatest product placement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdvO0tmNjGo

I could also play any clip from that movie.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 12, 2014

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

effectual posted:

What was the movie made with KFC money? Back in the 70's or so iirc.

I think you mean McDonalds money and it was Mac & Me, an ET ripoff

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Vincent posted:

I think you mean McDonalds money and it was Mac & Me, an ET ripoff

I assumed it was a Kentucky Fried Movie joke.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Perfect.

DNS posted:

I think the thing about Prometheus is when you recap it it sounds insane but the way it plays feels way more routine to me. Like Event Horizon or something. I'm not saying I want like Jim Varney yelling into a fisheye lens but... I dunno. Maybe I do want that.

You do want Jim Varney yelling into a fisheye lens. Gone too soon IMO. Event Horizon feels to me the exact kind of movie I dislike with a similar synopsis.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

This is still the greatest product placement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdvO0tmNjGo

I could also play any clip from that movie.

:stare:

I don't think it's possible to even know where to begin with this...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

axleblaze posted:

:stare:

I don't think it's possible to even know where to begin with this...

How about here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5le9sYdYkM

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Hewlett posted:

She is now pregnant.

:master:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LldWGy4RAhU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Every single time Paul Rudd is on Conan promoting a new movie, he brings this as the clip instead of a clip from whatever movie he's supposed to be plugging. It's still hilarious even after years of him doing this.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Hewlett posted:

She is now pregnant.

Awww yeah gunna be comin into all that big Howard baby daddy money. Sweet for her.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Tell her to name her baby Apollo 13.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
She can't be pregnant, that'd be a quadruple failure, BC-wise, and that can't happen. It's gotta be instrumentational.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Hewlett posted:

She is now pregnant.

You're sitting on a hell of a documentary.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

She can't be pregnant, that'd be a quadruple failure, BC-wise, and that can't happen. It's gotta be instrumentational.

We have to figure out how to get this to fit into a hole made for this using only these *gestures at pile of stuff*

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Got to see Omar tonight - drat that's one hell of a film. Reminded me of a modern The Battle for Algiers.

Anyone else here seen it?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

You guys are all jerks, Clint Howard has a MTV Lifetime Achievement Award. It's pretty much an Oscar.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Bah! People in this thread pretending like they wouldn't gently caress Clint Howard and bear his child if they had a chance. Pathetic!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you do make a documentary I suggest having a America's Most Wanted style dramatization of "the act" with the role of Clint Howard being played by a half-naked hunk with dollar store hillbilly dentures.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeah, that's what's bad about it.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Every single time Paul Rudd is on Conan promoting a new movie, he brings this as the clip instead of a clip from whatever movie he's supposed to be plugging. It's still hilarious even after years of him doing this.

The best part is that Conan never knows it's going to happen and somehow doesn't expect it. This has been going on for at least ten years.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sorry to double post but I wanted not associate the following with loving Clint Howard.

Edit: guess it wasn't a double post after all.

Just received this as an extremely late CineD Secret Santa gift from Maxwell Lord and I'd just like to thank him because this looks pretty awesome. I'd start right in it if I wasn't currently reading through House of Leaves (a book that also has to do with found footage films indecently).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I want to get an ice cream truck but instead of having pictures of all the ice cream on the side of it I just want it to be pictures of Clint Howard.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ror posted:

You guys are all jerks, Clint Howard has a MTV Lifetime Achievement Award. It's pretty much an Oscar.

For context, MTV also gave Menace II Society the Best Movie award over Schindler's List and Jurassic Park. It's the best award show.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

axleblaze posted:

Sorry to double post but I wanted not associate the following with loving Clint Howard.

Edit: guess it wasn't a double post after all.

Just received this as an extremely late CineD Secret Santa gift from Maxwell Lord and I'd just like to thank him because this looks pretty awesome. I'd start right in it if I wasn't currently reading through House of Leaves (a book that also has to do with found footage films indecently).

Oh poo poo, please tell me if it's worth reading once you're finished.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.
I opened an OkCupid account the other day and have been been asked by at least three different people for my opinion on JJ Abrams doing Star Wars.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CPL593H posted:

I want to get an ice cream truck but instead of having pictures of all the ice cream on the side of it I just want it to be pictures of Clint Howard.

If you sell Clint Howard ice cream with the gumball eyes that are always slightly askew, well that would just be spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

TwistedLadder posted:

I opened an OkCupid account the other day and have been been asked by at least three different people for my opinion on JJ Abrams doing Star Wars.

Please tell me this is how they introduced themselves. Internet icebreaker.

• Locked thread