Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Shiness looks pretty good, but there are way too many furry characters. I don't want to play as a "susceptible Waki".

I was recently reminded of a project that was started maybe 2 years ago and looked very promising. It probably didn't get funded, but I'd like to make sure. It checked pretty much all the usual indie Kickstarter boxes so bear with me:

- It had a turn-based tactical combat (naturally, it cited X-com as inspiration)
- Blocky 3D graphics. It probably mentioned Minecraft, though it didn't look like it at all. The characters looked more like 3D Dot Game Heroes, but less detailed/silly.
- Proceduraly generated content (of course). Just about everything was supposed to be procedurally generated and customizable: terrain, units, quests etc.
- the video and screenshots showed typical fantasy units like archers, wizards etc., though I'm not sure if the game was limited to that setting.

Sounds like most of the usual promises combined into one single project, but this one looked like it might be able to deliver. There was a decent-looking video (though I don't rememberif it was actual gameplay or just a mock-up) and the guy behind it had some pretty good credentials iirc.

Myron fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Myron posted:

Shiness looks pretty good, but there are way too many furry characters. I don't want to play as a "susceptible Waki".

I was recently reminded of a project that was started maybe 2 years ago and looked very promising. It probably didn't get funded, but I'd like to make sure. It checked pretty much all the usual indie Kickstarter boxes so bear with me:

- It had a turn-based tactical combat (naturally, it cited X-com as inspiration)
- Blocky 3D graphics. It probably mentioned Minecraft, though it didn't look like it at all. The characters looked more like 3D Dot Game Heroes, but less detailed/silly.
- Proceduraly generated content (of course). Just about everything was supposed to be procedurally generated and customizable: terrain, units, quests etc.
- the video and screenshots showed typical fantasy units like archers, wizards etc., though I'm not sure if the game was limited to that setting.

Sounds like most of the usual promises combined into one single project, but this one looked like it might be able to deliver. There was a decent-looking video (though I don't rememberif it was actual gameplay or just a mock-up) and the guy behind it had some pretty good credentials iirc.

Are you thinking of Enemy? It's a turn-based tactical roguelike with physics-enabled combat and voxel terrain. He's been releasing occasional videos that look pretty decent.

Regarding Shiness, it looks pretty great. I especially like how it handles world exploration transitioning to combat. It reminds me of Okami, one of my favorite games ever.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~

I like the added 3d model for printing, that's neat and sold me on this one.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Darkhold posted:

Well Dieselstormers is a little over halfway done and has a little over half the money they need. It could really use a boost. It has a demo and is made by a respectable company which I know is a big issue for some goons. They were also really cool when their first attempt at a Kickstarter failed seeming to take it in stride and giving out free games to backers. Check it out.

Oh hey, this is by the people who made Giana Sisters! :neckbeard:

I wish I had a way to throw money at this but alas, Kickstarter doesn't accept Paypal payments. I'll try to drum up some other people to pledge to this instead.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I'm glad goons seem to be excited about it. Last kickstarter a few people expressed interest but it didn't really seem to catch anyone's imagination. I guess they just have a better pitch this time around.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rivensteel posted:

Regarding Shiness, it looks pretty great. I especially like how it handles world exploration transitioning to combat. It reminds me of Okami, one of my favorite games ever.
This is probably going to get me laughed at, but it reminds me of Quest 64. They even had four elements in the top-left corner with numbers under them in the battle scene!

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Cheekio posted:

The Universim just cleared $120k. Looks like they actually picked up steam in the past couple of days, at this rate they'll make it handily.

No so sure yet. Because we live in a world where total pile of trash like Godus gets a million dollars, and actually innovative games like this might not make it.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Rivensteel posted:

Are you thinking of Enemy? It's a turn-based tactical roguelike with physics-enabled combat and voxel terrain. He's been releasing occasional videos that look pretty decent.

Yes, that's it! It's a lot more recent than I thought though. Good to see that it made it. I even forgot about the whole physics aspect and he didn't actually mention Minecraft, that was just a mean assumption on my part.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Myron posted:

Yes, that's it! It's a lot more recent than I thought though. Good to see that it made it. I even forgot about the whole physics aspect and he didn't actually mention Minecraft, that was just a mean assumption on my part.
I'm kind of amazed at how good it's looking:

https://vimeo.com/93969553

Has anyone been following Enemy? Is that really all just on the (kinda small) amount he raised, or did he go publisher / maybe Adult Swim like some others did, or what?

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

FutonForensic posted:

You know that HuniePop preview from the last page, the one with the terrible dialogue?

Well, you'll be happy to know that the developers have made a complete do-over of the voice acting.
:laffo:

This made my afternoon. Thanks.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Has anyone been following Enemy? Is that really all just on the (kinda small) amount he raised, or did he go publisher / maybe Adult Swim like some others did, or what?

Sorta distantly following, I haven't heard of any outside backing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Yodzilla posted:

If I had to guess it's "let's finish this project" money not "let's fully find this game."

Yeah, apparently they've been working on it already for three years. It does look pretty good.

One of the planned stretch goals is an English dub. That possibility has already made me more interested in backing than I was before. They're already up to 41% of their goal after just two days, so they are on track to easily fund.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, apparently they've been working on it already for three years. It does look pretty good.

One of the planned stretch goals is an English dub. That possibility has already made me more interested in backing than I was before. They're already up to 41% of their goal after just two days, so they are on track to easily fund.

Waiting eagerly for the inevitable Project Nimbus quality English dub.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

boblemoche posted:

the first japanese animation distribution company in Europe (Kaze in 1993)

Pendantic and all, but second - Manga Entertainment was founded in 1991 (and was British owned and based until they over-extended themselves licensing the Evangelion movies)

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
So Amplitude doesn't seem like its going to make it. I wished they just used a different name so they could put it on pc.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

ookiimarukochan posted:

Pendantic and all, but second - Manga Entertainment was founded in 1991 (and was British owned and based until they over-extended themselves licensing the Evangelion movies)

I stand corrected.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

teraflame posted:

So Amplitude doesn't seem like its going to make it. I wished they just used a different name so they could put it on pc.
I think they were hoping Sony would cover the rest of whatever internal budget they have and help out in other areas, especially when it came to licensing music.

Saiphiriel
Dec 31, 2007

*munchie* *munchie* Hase
Hey guys, remember the Lovefcraft pint & click adventure?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1819174432/the-eldritch-cases-dagon-a-lovecraftian-horror-adv
I got some positive (and constructive) feedback from some of you, so here is a quick update:
It doesn't seem to make it.
3 days to go and still needing roughly 9k. I think the problem is that Thomas isn't conntected enough on social media (80 friends on facebook).
It's a shame, but he will probably continue working on it.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Not to be an rear end but the poser comic art aesthetic really was a turn off for me. I really didn't actually bother delving beyond it.

This is a good example of what I mean.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I could go for a good pint & click adventure right about now, it's hot as balls outside.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

JossiRossi posted:

Not to be an rear end but the poser comic art aesthetic really was a turn off for me. I really didn't actually bother delving beyond it.

I have been on the internet long enough to expect that whenever I see any Poser3 models that aren't Captain America on a tricycle someone's a conversation bubble away from getting a duck in their face.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shalinor posted:

I was a backer because the concept seemed neat and I could tell the guy was a decent programmer / developer, and it was also a good while back when it seemed like there were fewer good projects and more yahoos, and I wanted to help the dude out.

I haven't seen any updates on outside funding, I get the feeling he's just a hobbyist game developer and he was gonna make the game either way, and the $20K just gave him some extra beer money and motivation.

Its good to see he's chugging along :) Needs a new UI pretty bad, but then he's pretty much got a decent XCOM game going already

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

JossiRossi posted:

"He escaped through the front door!"
"Where is he?"

You should probably move that second text box to be above the first. Ordering is important.

Saiphiriel
Dec 31, 2007

*munchie* *munchie* Hase

JossiRossi posted:

I can see your point and I have to agree. It seems graphics are not Thomas' strongest point so it might be worth an investment to get some help there.
Btw, we have debated the color choices in the comments section and the green will probably be tuned down a bit (or a lot).

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Untold History of Japanese Games guy is getting sued: http://versusjs.blogspot.com/2014/04/joint-statement-regarding-criminal-case.html

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wait, the guy from Harcore Gaming 101? Jesus. That's uh..wow.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

quote:

What brought on the meltdown?
Garden-variety stress, we believe. John said he is unused to working five days a week, let alone every day, and has not worked with people IRL on a daily basis for many years. Having failed to prepare adequately for his stay in Tokyo, he was constantly anxious. John also claimed to be allergic to wi-fi signals, and Tokyo is well covered in those.

Sounds like a fun guy.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Allergic to wi-fi signals? Man, it must suck being allergic to the electro-magnetic spectrum, with it being everything from light to microwaves to radio waves to X-rays.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
"Electrosensitive" people are the funniest bullshitters.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Is there a list somewhere that shows the successful kickstarter games and all of the failed burnouts?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

Is there a list somewhere that shows the successful kickstarter games and all of the failed burnouts?

Successful Kickstarters that lived up to the expectations of their pitch:

quote:

Kickstarters that did not live up the expectations they generated:

:v:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Excuse me, Tex Murphy game lived up to the hype.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

RadicalR posted:

Excuse me, Tex Murphy game lived up to the hype.

I haven't played it yet, despite backing it for $500. I was late to get my photo in, not sure if a blonde-dyed goon made it to the wall of backers, but if he did, that's me :)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Sigma-X posted:

I haven't played it yet, despite backing it for $500. I was late to get my photo in, not sure if a blonde-dyed goon made it to the wall of backers, but if he did, that's me :)

Deffo play it, you won't be disappointed. It's like if UAKM/Pandora Directive/Overseer didn't have a horrific control scheme.

(also most of the pictures can be seen within the first 5 minutes of play, with some more lategame)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

neongrey posted:

Deffo play it, you won't be disappointed. It's like if UAKM/Pandora Directive/Overseer didn't have a horrific control scheme.

(also most of the pictures can be seen within the first 5 minutes of play, with some more lategame)

Yeah I've been meaning to get around to it, it's just I want a full weekend to experience it and last weekend sucked. Tex Murphy was a huge influence on me growing up and I was super stoked to have the opportunity to kickstart it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Expeditions Conquistador is absolutely the best Kickstarter game to this point. Maybe Shadowrun and it's expansion in second place.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Of the games that have actually gotten a proper release [and aren't just in early access beta], you'd definitely have to include The Banner Sage as most living up to its initial pitch. If you want to speculate a little, Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin look like they're going to nail it, too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Broken Age is only half done currently, but its really drat good. Kentucky Route Zero is similar.

I wasn't a fan but people really like Faster Than Light too.

I also liked Giana Sisters, up until it got really bullshit towards the end.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 14, 2014

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Don't forget Faster Than Light. That game's been properly released for so long, I forget that it was a Kickstarter game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Oh yeah Faster Than Light I actually bought after release. Banner Saga was pretty good too. Broken Age I haven't played because I realized I was less interested in a new adventure game than I was just interested in their Kickstarter experiment, but the making-of documentary has absolutely been worth the money.