Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MrJacobs posted:

It's on the Bioware website and you can transfer EA bux to Bioware bux if you are inclined. I was, but that was more for curiosity. I haven't tried it yet to hate my purchase, but I will eventually play and probably hate it, who knows.

MotAssassin was the one that took place in Orlais, right, starring that no-name internet famous geekgirl? It was pretty unexceptional, but it got you out of that god drat city and cave.

Although...it put you right back into a caveCastle dungeon. :shrug: The outdoor area was a nice enough change of pace. I say that because I embrace my Stockholm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Penakoto posted:

Not even any DLC? There's already lots, they couldn't throw in a swordicorn code?

I think when I read about it at gamestop, they said the game that comes with the dungeon master edition would be the deluxe variety, with all the goofy DLC.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's a tiny chance the Tarot deck is decent. Not $170 decent, but like, maybe fun to buy off eBay for $10.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

precision posted:

There's a tiny chance the Tarot deck is decent. Not $170 decent, but like, maybe fun to buy off eBay for $10.

I'd really like to play around with the ink and quill, because c'mon. Surely not.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Drifter posted:

MotAssassin was the one that took place in Orlais, right, starring that no-name internet famous geekgirl? It was pretty unexceptional, but it got you out of that god drat city and cave.

Although...it put you right back into a caveCastle dungeon. :shrug: The outdoor area was a nice enough change of pace. I say that because I embrace my Stockholm.

I watched a stream of Mark of the Assassin that my friend put up since I don't have the DLC and plot wise it feels really loving awkward. And that's saying a lot for DA2. Felicia Day's character was kind of a loving mess due to the subpar writing and the really out of place philosophical debate that came up every now and then trying to validate the Qun way.

I guess the only thing I enjoyed watching and listening to were the silly accents and party banter as usual.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh god, I had forgotten that she was written as Qun. You're right, that was REALLY poorly done.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Which is a shame because I Love Felicia Day.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Soonmot posted:

Which is a shame because I Love Felicia Day.
I like quite a bit of what she does, like her voice acting for Veronica in FO:NV, or the Tabletop show hosted by Weasly Crusher Wil Wheaton, which she produce.
But every time she's shown up on Tabletop herself, I instantly dislike her.

On the actual topic of the thread; gently caress, I'm getting kinda excited for this. It looks like it actually can be good.
And no major day-one DLC in sight yet either.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Groetgaffel posted:

I like quite a bit of what she does, like her voice acting for Veronica in FO:NV, or the Tabletop show hosted by Weasly Crusher Wil Wheaton, which she produce.
But every time she's shown up on Tabletop herself, I instantly dislike her.

On the actual topic of the thread; gently caress, I'm getting kinda excited for this. It looks like it actually can be good.
And no major day-one DLC in sight yet either.

Someone in the Supernatural thread put into words perfectly why she makes so many of us cringe. She talks like the internet.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm a fan of special editions that are $10 more and give you in game content, but not really a fan of something that costs $170 for real stuff. Nothing wrong with the real stuff for people who like to collect that kind of stuff, it's just with a wife who could give a poo poo about games and a 3-year-old, not really putting up displays to my favorite pass time. Looking forward to E3.

And am I the only one who kinda dug the Qun in DA2. That dude made a lot of sense in that gently caress town that was Kirkwall before he started killing everybody. Any time I do a DA2 run, I'm always trying to gain the Airishok's respect. "You are not totally useless" *slight nod*. Baller.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

basically everyone with any sense sides with the Qun and futilely attempts to exterminate the player party/everyone else in the game

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just had a random thought that always makes me laugh when it crosses my mind. A poster was able to sum up Dragon Age 2 right when it came out better than anything I've seen since.

Dragon Age 2: The Quest for More Money.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I have a strong distaste for Felicia Day because I kept hearing people rave about The Guild, a show which is pretty much the definition of low-budget crap. I can't imagine why anyone would say anything good about it beyond "oh drat she's hot AND she plays video games! Maybe she'll marry me!"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Spikeguy posted:

I'm a fan of special editions that are $10 more and give you in game content, but not really a fan of something that costs $170 for real stuff. Nothing wrong with the real stuff for people who like to collect that kind of stuff, it's just with a wife who could give a poo poo about games and a 3-year-old, not really putting up displays to my favorite pass time. Looking forward to E3.

And am I the only one who kinda dug the Qun in DA2. That dude made a lot of sense in that gently caress town that was Kirkwall before he started killing everybody. Any time I do a DA2 run, I'm always trying to gain the Airishok's respect. "You are not totally useless" *slight nod*. Baller.

A lot of players retroactively liked the Arishok because he's the only other person in the game who hates the the city of Kirkwall and everyone in it as much as the players :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spikeguy posted:

I think most people thought the Qunari were fine, in that they felt a similar way about the game world that the players did, and were both frustrated by it. Don't mistake our negative Qun talk regarding Mark of the Assassin for not liking the Qunari in general.

Felicia Day's character spent a deal of time trying to 'argue' the positive points of the Qun and it came off as REALLY childish and 7th grader repeat-what-my-dad-said simple.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

PantsBandit posted:

I have a strong distaste for Felicia Day because I kept hearing people rave about The Guild, a show which is pretty much the definition of low-budget crap. I can't imagine why anyone would say anything good about it beyond "oh drat she's hot AND she plays video games! Maybe she'll marry me!"
Yes I can't imagine why people watch a show filled with nerd jokes and references. I mean it is low budget after all nobody could think she's funny or can act.

I only watched a season of that show it wasn't my thing but it's pretty easy to see why people like it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Darkhold posted:

Yes I can't imagine why people watch a show filled with nerd jokes and references. I mean it is low budget after all nobody could think she's funny or can act.

I only watched a season of that show it wasn't my thing but it's pretty easy to see why people like it.

Only it wasn't funny or well written. That was part of the "crap" part of it. I mean, maybe people could get some enjoyment out of it but I can't imagine how.

It's like an even more poorly written, more stereotypically "gamer" big bang theory. It's the gamefuel of shows.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

PantsBandit posted:

Only it wasn't funny or well written. That was part of the "crap" part of it. I mean, maybe people could get some enjoyment out of it but I can't imagine how.

It's like an even more poorly written, more stereotypically "gamer" big bang theory. It's the gamefuel of shows.

It's almost like taste is subjective or some bullshit.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

It's almost like taste is subjective or some bullshit.

Yes and "I" have a strong distaste for Felicia Day because "I" think her show was terrible. I don't remember insisting you agree.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

PantsBandit posted:

Yes and "I" have a strong distaste for Felicia Day because "I" think her show was terrible. I don't remember insisting you agree.

Yes, but nobody cares what you think. I'm very sorry that an internet TV show makes you so angry.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Yes, but nobody cares what you think. I'm very sorry that an internet TV show makes you so angry.

Ok well gently caress off I guess then? I'm not really angry and people were discussing liking/not liking Felicia Day. Regardless this is a really dumb derail.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Shugojin posted:

A lot of players retroactively liked the Arishok because he's the only other person in the game who hates the the city of Kirkwall and everyone in it as much as the players :v:

That and he's one of the only decent characters with an actual motivation that doesn't fall back on "lol dark magic" in the game. Considering he's a fanatical zealot who starts a war based solely on the demands of his religion, says a lot about Kirkwall.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I love references they make the recognition sectors of my brain light up and then I tell the people around me that that's from a thing and I know the thing it's from. better than jokes, for sure

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
So I finished Masked Empire and comparing to Weekes' other writing it did feel less fluid. I don't know how controlled or detailed their outline is when these writers need to write novels that turn into game scripts (let alone scripts in a set series). Sure we know there are points they have to hit, but how many and how often? I guess I felt that Weekes probably had a lot of people over his shoulder to completely deliver X with no delineation whatsoever?

I guess this makes me question Felicia's DA2 piece--she wrote it and I'm not the biggest fan of her, but was she also bound by a too-rigid outline? I don't know much about it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Qunari fundamentally have a system I disagree with (making people live their entire lives as one thing with wishing to change being punishable by death), but the way the typical Qunari sticks to his principles in the face of great adversity is admirable, and they always exercise great patience compared to most of their human, elven and dwarven contemporaries.

When you think about it, though, they're basically big ogre versions of the fairies from the Tinkerbell cartoons. You are born with a talent that decides your "caste" for life (sten, arishok, whatever-their-priests-are-called versus tinker, animal, fast-flier fairies) and you never raise your own children (well, for fairies that's not really an issue anyway) so family life is fundamentally different from how it is for humans, etc.

Can we get Pick to weigh in on this?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lotish posted:

The Qunari fundamentally have a system I disagree with (making people live their entire lives as one thing with wishing to change being punishable by death), but the way the typical Qunari sticks to his principles in the face of great adversity is admirable, and they always exercise great patience compared to most of their human, elven and dwarven contemporaries.

When you think about it, though, they're basically big ogre versions of the fairies from the Tinkerbell cartoons. You are born with a talent that decides your "caste" for life (sten, arishok, whatever-their-priests-are-called versus tinker, animal, fast-flier fairies) and you never raise your own children (well, for fairies that's not really an issue anyway) so family life is fundamentally different from how it is for humans, etc.

I feel it's less like the fairies and more like the bees in A Bee Movie.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Geostomp posted:

That and he's one of the only decent characters with an actual motivation that doesn't fall back on "lol dark magic" in the game. Considering he's a fanatical zealot who starts a war based solely on the demands of his religion, says a lot about Kirkwall.

I can only imagine the poo poo he was thinking when he's watching the Templars and Mages fighting. Like these fuckers here think I'm the rear end in a top hat. Jesus can I get out of this shitville please?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I like the Qunari. The thing that puts them horns and shoulders above others is that they aren't whiny assholes that bitch and moan all day. They have a way of doing things and they stick to it. I can respect that, even if I don't agree with all of their philosophy. Here in real life we call them the people that grew a spine.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lotish posted:

My thing is, I don't mind if you do this to people who agree to join the Qun or people who decide to live in that culture. It's when you try to force it on foreign nations that I have an issue. Like those elves who wanted to join and people were like gently caress that poo poo, I said why do you give a poo poo? Let them join. Criminal/not criminals, you don't really have any grounds to stand on to throw that judgement around Kirkwall.

Edit: The more I think about it, Kirkwall might be the shittiest place in the setting, but I don't know much about the Tevinter Imperium except that everyone hates them. But gently caress, if Kirkwall hates you I don't know if I want to be on that side of the argument. Honestly I wish at the end of the game, my character had a chance of just saying gently caress all you guys I'm out after trying to defend the mages just for them to prove the others right by resorting to dark magic. And I don't think all mages in the world are like that, because they didn't do that poo poo in Ferelden. I mean their top loving mage, made a body out of other mages. Who does that poo poo?

Shard fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 14, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Have we actually seen in-game shots of the Qunari at this point or is it all just concept art? I hope they scale back on their design a little bit. I preferred Sten in Origins, despite looking relatively human people still were prejudiced against him because they saw him as having monstrous ideals, as opposed to literally looking like a monster. Also, because he was ostensibly a murderer but let's just ignore that for a second.

They definitely are an interesting group though. I like it when Bioware expands on their more calculated, less emotional races. I wish they had done more with the Elcor in Mass Effect.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

PantsBandit posted:

Have we actually seen in-game shots of the Qunari at this point or is it all just concept art? I hope they scale back on their design a little bit. I preferred Sten in Origins, despite looking relatively human people still were prejudiced against him because they saw him as having monstrous ideals, as opposed to literally looking like a monster. Also, because he was ostensibly a murderer but let's just ignore that for a second.

They definitely are an interesting group though. I like it when Bioware expands on their more calculated, less emotional races. I wish they had done more with the Elcor in Mass Effect.

We have seen Iron Bull.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Darkhold posted:

That's me. Somebody lent me the DVDs or the :filez: or whatever and that was alright. If you're not into RPGs and possibly MMOs you won't get half the jokes though.

I had no idea she became an Internet legend and she's clearly overrated.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Torrannor posted:

We have seen Iron Bull.

And there were a couple of screenshots somewhere of some qunari heads, male and female, that looked like models either for defaults in the character creator or of unfinished NPCs.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Geostomp posted:

Well, he did at least delay making a war on Kirkwall until after the one Chantry lady tried to frame the Qunari for the murder of the ruler's son. It may possibly be reasonable to bring a war when the other side already set you up as having done it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the Qunari redesign in 2 just made them look like lame versions of tieflings so gently caress that

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Alouicious posted:

the Qunari redesign in 2 just made them look like lame versions of tieflings so gently caress that

They were so grumpy because they were missing tails. They were all "Where the gently caress are our sweet-rear end tails, yo?" and then decided gently caress the world.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Alouicious posted:

"Redesign" doesn't cover it. Every Qunari is portrayed as an emotionless robotic rear end in a top hat, but when replaying DA:O in the Fade level when Sten is back with his dead brothers they joke and shoot the poo poo like normal people.

I don't really know at what point the Qunari went from "dangerous odd foreign power" to the "militant islamic borg" that Gaider made infamous, but it's been terrible for the DA setting.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been playing Awakening and had Anders in the party for a conversation with Wynne. When Anders said, "[The Libertarians] want to break away from the Chantry? But that's crazy!" I laughed.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Which ones were the libertarians?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Drifter posted:

Which ones were the libertarians?

From the wiki:

Libertarians desire the Circle to become an autonomous, self-regulating order without Chantry involvement at any level. While many Libertarians advocate the use of peaceful means to ensure their independence, such as a bill of secession they proposed to the College of Magi in 9:31 Dragon, at least one subgroup, the Resolutionists, are willing to pursue violent means to their ends. Libertarians count Uldred, Adrian and Jeannot among their number. By 9:40 Dragon they are represented in the College of Magi by Adrian.

• Locked thread