Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
Babies are great. We need more babies ITT

:3:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I expect the whole thread to be watching the Hitchhiker fosters

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

vroom

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Dem little ears :3:

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

On the Internet, noone knows you're a Capybara.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's not nice to doxx BattleMaster :(

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I thought Helldumping was banned.

Anyway, I collected some animal failures.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

The full video is even cuter.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Have some Bears Doing Human Things.

Ironically enough, he's actually invested in the Bull Market.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

AstroWhale posted:

I thought Helldumping was banned.

Anyway, I collected some animal failures.

http://pandasfalling.tumblr.com/

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

I've shared the cuteness of the elementary kids I've subbed for in the past, with the Valentine's card I got. But this last week a bunch of 5th graders almost made me cry in front of them.

I had covered this class when I started doing this back in January and I guess the teacher liked me so she asked me to cover her class for two weeks after Spring Break because she was going to Europe. It was an 8 day assignment, with Mondays off because they have a different teacher that day. The longest assignment I've had.

We had a pretty easy time, some problems, but the kids were generally very good, talkative but good.

Then the last day came. I put "Mr. Young's Last Day" on the board with a frown face opposite my usual Happy Friday message. As soon as one of my students saw it, she added another frown, another student added a "WHY?"

Another student started making a card for me, trying his hardest to hide it from me, but I spotted it quite early. But of course pretended not to see it. This was the result:

They had all signed it by the end of the day. A completely separate student had made a welcome back card for their teacher, all on her own too. These are a great group of sweet, caring students.

But what got me teary-eyed is when one student handed me this card. She had been one of the most well-behaved students the whole week. A very bright, very kind girl.

If you can't read the cursive:
"Dear Mr. Young,
I want to thank you for taking the time to substitute our class. Even though our class was loud and stuff I hope you enjoyed being with us. You are probably my favorite substitute. You are very kind and fun. We all love you. Sincerely, Alexandra"

It was hard to hold it together after reading it. And even harder when they all yelled Thank You at the same time to me.

These are 5th graders, so in a months time they are leaving elementary to the scary, awful world of middle school. I probably won't see them before they graduate, so I wished them the best. They invited me to their graduation, which is tempting but also feels kind of weird. I hope they remain as sweet, but we all know what middle school does.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Good substitute teachers rule. They are some of my most fond memories of early schoolin'.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

This is more like Pandas being jerks to each other. Not that I complain.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

AstroWhale posted:

This is more like Pandas being jerks to each other. Not that I complain.

Bear Judo :3:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

BrainToad posted:

They invited me to their graduation, which is tempting but also feels kind of weird.

It might be weird, but most of me thinks you should absolutely go.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

BrainToad posted:

They invited me to their graduation, which is tempting but also feels kind of weird.

Aw! You should totally go! They would be so happy that you went. :3:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's not nice to doxx BattleMaster :(

Ahahaha :3:. Actually this is me, I have glasses

And more babies:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Wait, their graduation is in a month? You should totally go! I can understand not going if it's a year (or even half) from now, but a month is pretty much perfect in that they'll have the time to start missing you without forgetting you and be totally surprised and happy when you show up.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
A three-year-old has her first encounter with a real, live train and boy is she excited for it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvpCmKUo1Aw

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Bonster posted:

The full video is even cuter.

Bernese Mountain Dogs are the best :3:. We have a fat old one (she's like 10 now) and she's just the most adorable and friendly thing.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Taeke posted:

Wait, their graduation is in a month? You should totally go! I can understand not going if it's a year (or even half) from now, but a month is pretty much perfect in that they'll have the time to start missing you without forgetting you and be totally surprised and happy when you show up.

This pretty much here. You should go :)

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Nthing that you should totally go to the graduation! It's not like you're just some creeper dude showing up to watch kids. You're their substitute teacher! I'm sure you know other teachers there and stuff. I don't think anyone would have a problem with you going.
I know if it was my kid and I said "Who is that guy?" "Oh he was their substitute for a couple weeks" I'd think it was adorable you even cared enough to come.

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

Buggiezor posted:

Nthing that you should totally go to the graduation! It's not like you're just some creeper dude showing up to watch kids. You're their substitute teacher! I'm sure you know other teachers there and stuff. I don't think anyone would have a problem with you going.
I know if it was my kid and I said "Who is that guy?" "Oh he was their substitute for a couple weeks" I'd think it was adorable you even cared enough to come.

Possibly. It was unbelievable how welcoming the staff was at that school. At least the principal and 5th grade teachers.

Maybe I'll shoot their teacher an email and see if she likes the idea + get the actual date. Today was her first day back, I hope they showered her with love and welcoming :3:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Magres posted:

Bear Judo :3:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
As somebody who only just started working with kids, I'm further Nthing that you should go see the kids on their celebration. You obviously mean a lot to them.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

BrainToad posted:

Children being adorable.

Kids are literally the best thing in the world. Also pitching in to say you should go if you can, and also adding that they will remember it forever if you do.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Wiggy Marie posted:

Kids are literally the best thing in the world. Also pitching in to say you should go if you can, and also adding that they will remember it forever if you do.

I friggin hate kids, but it will absolutely mean a lot to them. That's the kind of thing that can have an effect on kids for a looong time.

GnuUzir
Oct 16, 2009
The other day I wanted to watch the game, but the wife was watching one of her shows in the living room so I went to the bedroom. Normally these two have the sort of relationship where they do like each other, just not when the humans are watching. Then:

Brock (the dog) decides he wants to get up and hang out, usually this means Gia will avoid the area. This time however she got up and plopped down on my chest and the three of us caught a game together. I am just glad I was able to get my phone out of my pocket without upsetting the obviously delicate balance.

Also thier butts are touching :wiggle:

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

GnuUzir posted:

The other day I wanted to watch the game, but the wife was watching one of her shows in the living room so I went to the bedroom. Normally these two have the sort of relationship where they do like each other, just not when the humans are watching. Then:

Brock (the dog) decides he wants to get up and hang out, usually this means Gia will avoid the area. This time however she got up and plopped down on my chest and the three of us caught a game together. I am just glad I was able to get my phone out of my pocket without upsetting the obviously delicate balance.

Also thier butts are touching :wiggle:

Yeah that's pretty cute. I had a bonded cat pair, and when one died I eventually got another at the local shelter to keep the remaining one company like she was used to. It was a loving joy to behold their first tentative sign of acceptance. My previous cat (Snacksy) had mostly been avoiding the new cat (Bubby) for a few weeks, which was difficult because Bubby was very eager to play. Eventually they were both sitting on the back of the couch, beside each other, looking out the window. Snacksy was cleaning her arm and just gradually moved on to clean the side of Bubby's face. I was so psyched at the whole situation.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

BrainToad posted:

I've shared the cuteness of the elementary kids I've subbed for in the past, with the Valentine's card I got. But this last week a bunch of 5th graders almost made me cry in front of them.

I had covered this class when I started doing this back in January and I guess the teacher liked me so she asked me to cover her class for two weeks after Spring Break because she was going to Europe. It was an 8 day assignment, with Mondays off because they have a different teacher that day. The longest assignment I've had.

We had a pretty easy time, some problems, but the kids were generally very good, talkative but good.

Then the last day came. I put "Mr. Young's Last Day" on the board with a frown face opposite my usual Happy Friday message. As soon as one of my students saw it, she added another frown, another student added a "WHY?"
Snip

Another student started making a card for me, trying his hardest to hide it from me, but I spotted it quite early. But of course pretended not to see it. This was the result:
Snip

They had all signed it by the end of the day. A completely separate student had made a welcome back card for their teacher, all on her own too. These are a great group of sweet, caring students.

But what got me teary-eyed is when one student handed me this card. She had been one of the most well-behaved students the whole week. A very bright, very kind girl.

Snip
If you can't read the cursive:
"Dear Mr. Young,
I want to thank you for taking the time to substitute our class. Even though our class was loud and stuff I hope you enjoyed being with us. You are probably my favorite substitute. You are very kind and fun. We all love you. Sincerely, Alexandra"

It was hard to hold it together after reading it. And even harder when they all yelled Thank You at the same time to me.

These are 5th graders, so in a months time they are leaving elementary to the scary, awful world of middle school. I probably won't see them before they graduate, so I wished them the best. They invited me to their graduation, which is tempting but also feels kind of weird. I hope they remain as sweet, but we all know what middle school does.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me wish I had gotten into teaching as a profession. Kids can be amazing. :3:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

BrainToad posted:

I probably won't see them before they graduate, so I wished them the best. They invited me to their graduation, which is tempting but also feels kind of weird. I hope they remain as sweet, but we all know what middle school does.

When a classroom of 5th graders invite you to their graduation, you dress up in your best clothes and go to that poo poo :sotw:

Seriously, go to the graduation, those kids care a lot and it would undoubtedly be a HUGE disappointment if you didn't show

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

That piece of wood needs to be a lightsaber.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I think that was one of the first things people did with the gif after it came out. It's been done.

First Tube
Apr 25, 2010

From this day on I'd have to fight these forces of darkness and deal with the burden of day to day admin.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

OH MY GGGGOODDDD :kimchi:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The bear has Kortosis fur!

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Stolen from the gif thread

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

I'm not aware of the context, but hopefully this still counts as uplifting :ohdear:

Edit: Found the source, considering the last :nms: pictures, I'd say this counts as uplifting, bloody hell.

ZoninSilver has a new favorite as of 20:26 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I heard a rumor that child is Hitler.

• Locked thread