Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Sigma-X posted:

Activision is not making $50 per sale of a $60 game. It's about $12 just to license, manufacture, and distribute the game, never mind the retailer's cut. From there you have marketing spends further diminishing the return on the disc, you're looking at maybe $20 of the $60 going to dev costs.

I'll give you the $12 cost, but the $500 million cost of the game includes the marketing spends.

Still, if you start taking more and more cut from the original $60 price (and from the $20 DLCs), that just means more and more DLCs and expansions that have to be sold. It would still work out to roughly 2-3 DLCs + a full price or near full price expansion to come out ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Considering a 10 year window, microtransactions will almost certainly be seen combined with larger WoW-style DLC that everyone is expected to buy to become ubiquitous (probably by doing something just as gamey as raising the level cap by 10)

Considering the money that WoW still pulls in today, I can see similar pricing happening for someone's 10 year gaming Experience (tm)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Faltese Malkin posted:

I remember watching the Grand Theft Auto 5 trailers and thinking, "that game looks incredible and a must own, but I could absolutely see how it cost $250 million to make." When I watch the Destiny gameplay videos it just looks like a shooter from the makers of Halo... How could the budget be twice what GTAV cost? Also I'm just waiting till we see articles saying Destiny sells 10 million copies and is still a flop.

Because it's not 500 million for one game, it's 500 million spread out across multiple games for the next 10 years.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
WATCH BUNGIE START A loving FRANCHISE

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Much more excited about Far Cry 4 than I will ever be about Destiny

http://blog.ubi.com/far-cry-4-release-date-kyrat/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bef posted:

Much more excited about Far Cry 4 than I will ever be about Destiny

http://blog.ubi.com/far-cry-4-release-date-kyrat/

Hahah loving amazing, before we even get any details at all about the game, we are first told about DLC. I love this poo poo.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
That is incredibly phallic. :dong:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That dude is real happy.

Ubisoft did this with AC3 and 4 also. The pre-order poster was shipped and announced as the game was being announced. No trailer or anything PRE-ORDER NOW!!!!

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Everyone's favourite videogame character, "Hurk."

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Who the gently caress is Hurk and why should I care about his imprisonment again?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Policenaut posted:

Who the gently caress is Hurk and why should I care about his imprisonment again?
He's got a harpoon gun, that's all you need to know.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The Division just got delayed to 2015, new trailer coming at E3.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hurk looks like he's a guy all about having a fun time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I wonder how Ubisoft feels knowing that no matter how hard they try, they will never make a protagonist as badass as the guy in First Funky Fighter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSuV19ckRMY&t=252s

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
They said the guy from fc3 dlc and I got excited to play cyborg man again but alas

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Policenaut posted:

I was just wondering about this game. I would rather UBISoft talk more about the Crew and the Division.

Also, game development is loving absurd;

10 game studio's working on one game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Thank goodness you can skip all the rear end Creed credits because they are absurdly long because of that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ubisoft is continuing Far Cry's new niche of having dumbfuck eccentric villains

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ubisoft has found Far Cry's new niche of having dumbfuck eccentric villains

When I first saw this all I saw was the character in the chair and I thought this was a sequel to Saints Row.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Accordion Man posted:

Thank goodness you can skip all the rear end Creed credits because they are absurdly long because of that.

It might take a village to raise a child but it takes literally a half dozen countries to raise a video game :smug:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Are you sure you're not playing as the pink guy? Would fit with the earlier games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I was just wondering about this game. I would rather UBISoft talk more about the Crew and the Division.

Also, game development is loving absurd;

10 game studio's working on one game.

Oh, they're making the new Assassin's Creed game with Unity? That will be a big boost to the engine! :v:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Are you sure you're not playing as the pink guy? Would fit with the earlier games.
I bet we'll get a trailer at E3 that will show how much of a special snowflake this character is that Ubisoft has created. Just like FC3.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

Complete cast list for the 42 different dubs
Developer babies
Developer pets
Developer wives
Developer mistresses
People who delivered food to our door
People who walked in front of our building
List of every character in Game of Thrones who has died
A text dump of a phone book we found

Day 1 if he's voiced by Graham Norton somehow.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

20 bucks says this guy is just Caucasian Vaas.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Complete cast list for the 42 different dubs
Developer babies
Developer pets
People who delivered food to our door
People who walked in front of our building
List of every character in Game of Thrones who has died
A text dump of a phone book we found

This would be a hilarious way for a studio consisting of three or four people to pad their credit sequence.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Tofu and Hurk: The Next Generation

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Policenaut posted:

gently caress; I'm looking forward to that one.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

1stGear posted:

20 bucks says this guy is just Caucasian Vaas.

people liked vaas, ubisoft would be stupid to not run that poo poo into the ground!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Do you know the definition of insanity? Trying to look badass while wearing pink.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I can't wait to craft wallets in 60 frames!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Farcry 4 looks like it's just going to be a bunch of gay innuendo mixed with actual gay villains.

Saint's Row 5 better step it's game up.

Oh and it's taking place in Tibet so it's not going to just use brown as it's main color. It's supposed to have a ton of vibrant colors.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You still probably shoot a lot of brown people though.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The Taint Reaper posted:

Farcry 4 looks like it's just going to be a bunch of gay innuendo mixed with actual gay villains.

Saint's Row 5 better step it's game up.

Oh and it's taking place in Tibet so it's not going to just use brown as it's main color. It's supposed to have a ton of vibrant colors.

Oh, so the plot is going to be 'white guy joins Tibetan Buddhist temple, learns to kick rear end with the Buddha's power'?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

KittyEmpress posted:

Oh, so the plot is going to be 'white guy joins Tibetan Buddhist temple, learns to kick rear end with the Buddha's power'?
He also wrestles a Yeti.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
This is it, this is the Kim Jong-un game.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

It's going to be *ironic* and maybe this time you won't get raped by a crazy shaman woman? Though, as far as lowbrow shooters go, Far Cry 3 was pretty fun (massively flawed but fun), so at least there's that.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

OneEightHundred posted:

This is it, this is the Kim Jong-un game.

No it's not they canceled StarCraft: Ghost ages ago.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

I thought one of the major reasons to become Buddhist was for the super powers you get.

Or was that scientology. One of those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lotish posted:

gently caress; I'm looking forward to that one.

I feel like The Division will be this generation's Future Soldier in that we won't be seeing it until fall 2016.

• Locked thread