Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Why are people assuming that the main character is going to be white?

Just because Ubi-Soft is a French company doesn't mean that all their main characters are white. I mean look at Rayman, Globlox is clearly supposed to be blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Random Stranger posted:

I thought one of the major reasons to become Buddhist was for the super powers you get.

Or was that scientology. One of those two.

Yeah all Buddhist monks know martial arts and can exorcise evil spirits and can breath in ways that makes their blood carry the power of the sun.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah all Buddhist monks know martial arts and can exorcise evil spirits and can breath in ways that makes their blood carry the power of the sun.

According to every other videogame that has used monks, this is all true.

I mean there's a reason why a monk is the best character in Virtua Fighter.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

The Taint Reaper posted:

Why are people assuming that the main character is going to be white?

Just because Ubi-Soft is a French company doesn't mean that all their main characters are white. I mean look at Rayman, Globlox is clearly supposed to be blue.

I mean they made a game with a minority protagonist that was panned because it had a minority protagonist and totally not because it was a bad game.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PantsBandit posted:

I mean they made a game with a minority protagonist that was panned because it had a minority protagonist and totally not because it was a bad game.

Was it an Assassin Creed game or a Splinter cell game? Those are the only two ubi-Soft series that I have no touched because most of them are bad games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

I always thought protestants got screwed on the religious superpowers front. Buddhists get all that. Catholics get to fight demons, have secret arcane libraries below their superteam headquarters, and spontaneously grow beards to repel unwanted husbands. Protestants get to hold onto poison snakes and they don't even do that well.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Was it an Assassin Creed game or a Splinter cell game? Those are the only two ubi-Soft series that I have no touched because most of them are bad games.

AC3, I think. Splinter Cell dudes have all been straight white males.

EDIT: Also you're wrong and there's only like one bad Splinter Cell game.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Honestly if people are mad that they're making monks out to be these mystical dudes with magic powers why the hell are they playing videogames?

Monk Life is in fact pretty boring. If you made Monk Simulator 2014 nobody would play it because it would not be very entertaining. And they've made fun simulator games out of being a truck driver. A monk is less exciting than a truck driver, think about that.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Lotish posted:

gently caress; I'm looking forward to that one.

I'd kind of assumed the Division was a ways out. All they had was a kind of gameplay trailer for it, and it seems like a pretty ambitious project to make an MMO that actually looks that good.

Personally, I'm kind of surprised how much poo poo coming out this year is just getting announced. It's probably a result of some big series becoming annual releases, but it strikes me as weird. Hopefully they'll just sneakily announce Fallout 4 for November (this won't happen).

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I don't think anyone is mad about it? We are just making jokes about it.

It was just my first thought on where someone would get mystical powers in Tibet, after far cry 3's magic tattoos.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

KittyEmpress posted:

I don't think anyone is mad about it? We are just making jokes about it.

It was just my first thought on where someone would get mystical powers in Tibet, after far cry 3's magic tattoos.

Ever play Uncharted 2? Plenty of magical bullshit floating around Tibet.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Yeah, they have a secret colony of giant Smurfs up there.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Cursed Mountain is the most Tibet game ever. The Special Edition also has the most morbid cover art for any game ever.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Nope, never played an uncharted game. I am not a fan of shooters due to having next to no skill at aiming.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Cursed Mountain is the most Tibet game ever. The Special Edition also has the most morbid cover art for any game ever.

This guy knows whats up.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What is rope kid and the fallout: new vegas team working on at the moment? The other game studio that excites me a lot is Klei, and I just bought the alpha for the invisibles.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

redreader posted:

What is rope kid and the fallout: new vegas team working on at the moment? The other game studio that excites me a lot is Klei, and I just bought the alpha for the invisibles.
They've been working on Pillars of Eternity, the game they successfully Kickstarted two years ago. It's an isometric RPG like the 90's D&D games. Should be coming out by the end of the year.

The OP in the thread here gives you a good overview.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593502

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

bobtheconqueror posted:

Personally, I'm kind of surprised how much poo poo coming out this year is just getting announced. It's probably a result of some big series becoming annual releases, but it strikes me as weird. Hopefully they'll just sneakily announce Fallout 4 for November (this won't happen).

I also can't wait to play another bad Fallout game made by Bethesda.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The Taint Reaper posted:

Honestly if people are mad that they're making monks out to be these mystical dudes with magic powers why the hell are they playing videogames?

Monk Life is in fact pretty boring. If you made Monk Simulator 2014 nobody would play it because it would not be very entertaining. And they've made fun simulator games out of being a truck driver. A monk is less exciting than a truck driver, think about that.

I'd play it.

Ringing bells qte. Lay the controller on the ground for meditation. Interactive game world consisting of a temple and lots of books to find and read.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Adam Bowen posted:

Maybe they're working on Rage 2. ;)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

I'd play it.

Ringing bells qte. Lay the controller on the ground for meditation. Interactive game world consisting of a temple and lots of books to find and read.

Motion controlled scribing minigames!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Adam Bowen posted:

I can't wait for fallout 4 to come out

So Obsidian can make another spin off/side game.

AllLuckySevens
Oct 15, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Hotline miami 2 is the only e3 game that will matter.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

I can't wait for fallout 4 to come out

So Obsidian can make another spin off/side game.

I might be just talking out of my rear end, but I get the feeling that probably won't happen again. It seemed like the difference between really bad Fallout and really good Fallout was completely lost on the vast majority of hardcore dew-drinking gamers anyway.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I thought Fallout 3 had a more engaging world and a better, more cohesive main storyline than New Vegas. By the time I got to Vegas and had my revenge I found myself wondering why I should really give a poo poo about who took over the city. It was the epitome of video-gamey "you want to do this because we tell you so."

But I am a hardcore dew-drinker so

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I actually liked Fallout 3's world more, just not the story/characters. Fallout NV's world felt very linear with the whole "follow this gigantic circular detour around the map until you get to Vegas."

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I agree I actually like Fallout 3 because of the atmosphere. New Vegas is the better game but it really wasn't fun to explore due to all the desert, mountains, and cazadores.

I honestly will probably get Fallout 4 eventually if its like 3, because even if Bethseda can't write a plot and missions for poo poo they can at least make an interesting enough world to dick around in.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 15, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

I thought Fallout 3 had a more engaging world and a better, more cohesive main storyline than New Vegas. By the time I got to Vegas and had my revenge I found myself wondering why I should really give a poo poo about who took over the city. It was the epitome of video-gamey "you want to do this because we tell you so."

It wasn't more cohesive, rather that it was more linear. The revenge plot was motivation for the character to make it to Vegas then it became a political plot for control of New Vegas. It was a game for people who were interested in exploring the political landscape and learn what each side was about. If you weren't into that sort of the thing New Vegas wasn't a game you'd enjoy.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

That's too hilarious not to quote. The ending of Fallout 3 had your companion literally send you to your death because "it was your destiny," until 6 months later when you could buy a DLC that made it no longer your destiny.

KittyEmpress posted:

I can agree on Bethesda making an okay world to traverse in skyrim and stuff, but my only memories of 'getting around' fallout 3 was the billions of metro tunnels.

Yeah, more engaging world my rear end. The nuclear bomb town was pretty cool, but after that the game devolved into the world's shittiest subway system simulator.

Adam Bowen fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 15, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I can agree on Bethesda making an okay world to traverse in skyrim and stuff, but my only memories of 'getting around' fallout 3 was the billions of metro tunnels.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I said come in! posted:

Because it's not 500 million for one game, it's 500 million spread out across multiple games for the next 10 years.

Yeah, but it's so much more fun when you willfully ignore the couple dozen times that's been mentioned and pretend it's all going to be spent on a single game.

The Taint Reaper posted:

I thought he was referring to Beyond Good and Evil, that's the only "minority protagonist" Ubisoft game I can think of.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 15, 2014

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Granted it's been a little bit since I last finished New Vegas but I'm pretty sure that initial sequence from Goodsprings to New Vegas is literally like the first fifteen percent of the game. The supposed linearity of it, which imo is just a more classic-style open world anyway, should be irrelevant because it's only the beginning.

Edit: AC3 and Liberation for the Vita(as well as the AC4 DLC based on it, and the other AC4 DLC that's a standalone game now) have minority protagonists.

Double edit: and AC1.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 15, 2014

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

And it's not like Fallout 3 doesn't have the exact same linear setup, it's just that you can wander off in a lot more directions at the beginning because the landscape is so loving flat and boring.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

raditts posted:

I thought he was referring to Beyond Good and Evil, that's the only "minority protagonist" Ubisoft game I can think of.

I thought Jade was Caucasian. I mean it's pretty hard to tell the ethnicity of stylized characters unless they state it or make it blaringly obvious.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

I thought Jade was Caucasian. I mean it's pretty hard to tell the ethnicity of stylized characters unless they state it or make it blaringly obvious.

Some people think that women are a minority.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

That's too hilarious not to quote. The ending of Fallout 3 had your companion literally send you to your death because "it was your destiny," until 6 months later when you could buy a DLC that made it no longer your destiny.

Fallout 3 always gave me a reason to care about what I was doing next. Saving your father, purifying the water supply, it drove me along and felt like I was doing something that mattered to me. New Vegas just drops you off in New Vegas and tells you "hey, you found this magical device that lets you decide the fate of this town! I guess go walk around and figure out which of these groups you like!"

I just didn't care. At all. The fate of New Vegas didn't matter to me in the least because I had zero connection to it.

So yes, I do think Fallout 3's story was far better.

Edit: yes I was talking about rear end Creed 3.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

OneEightHundred posted:

This is it, this is the Kim Jong-un game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8_X-9AIG-c

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
To me Fallout seems kinda pointless because the most fun I had was getting bored of the missions and deciding just wander around aimlessly exploring and surviving till that got boring. Now there are games just about that and they have multiplayer.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Adam Bowen posted:

Some people think that women are a minority.

It's around 50% for both sexes worldwide in the human population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The Taint Reaper posted:

She looks vaguely Asian but its sort of irrelevant on a planet of animal people.

• Locked thread