Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Chaos Motor posted:

We sell an Indian chai made with Assam black tea, you can get a free sample from our website at chai-me.com. We have a 5 star rating, 100% customer satisfaction, and a money back guarantee. Give us a shot if you like black teas, I am certain you'll like ours.

edit: Here's our thread in SA-Mart. Here's the free sample, makes enough for 2 smaller cups or 1 large one. We say 10g but usually you get more like 14-15g so it could make 3 cups depending on how strong you like it. I like it strong. :)

Sounds great, but but I'm more interested in teas that are just purely tea so I'll pass so you don't waste shipping a sampler to me.

taters posted:

Yorkshire Gold
http://smile.amazon.com/Taylors-Harrogate-Yorkshire-Gold-160-Count/dp/B000XEV9YE/

This is about the best English blend black tea you can get in bags. No flavorings or other adulterants. Hard to beat without getting into full-leaf brewing. Best with a bit of milk.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear but I was looking for loose leaf tea (full leaf brewing?).

breaks posted:

Adagio has several black tea sample packs that you can order, I'd recommend trying whichever of those strikes your fancy. Or, you can usually order samples of their teas individually, also.

Their emperor sampler sounds right up my alley. Their pu erh sampler sounds kinda interesting too and fermented stuff is awesome but I'll wait tip I try the pu erh the emperor sampler gives me. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Just a warning, I've heard really bad stuff about their puerh, like it's really fishy smelling even for a shu. I'd recommend sticking to dedicated vendors like Yunnan Sourcing. I've really liked all the puerh that I've gotten so far from Norbu Tea and Mandala Tea if YS is a little daunting.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Chaos Motor posted:

We sell an Indian chai made with Assam black tea, you can get a free sample from our website at chai-me.com. We have a 5 star rating, 100% customer satisfaction, and a money back guarantee. Give us a shot if you like black teas, I am certain you'll like ours.

edit: Here's our thread in SA-Mart. Here's the free sample, makes enough for 2 smaller cups or 1 large one. We say 10g but usually you get more like 14-15g so it could make 3 cups depending on how strong you like it. I like it strong. :)

Hey, I went ahead and added you to the OP under the vendor section, hope that's cool.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

hope and vaseline posted:

Just a warning, I've heard really bad stuff about their puerh, like it's really fishy smelling even for a shu. I'd recommend sticking to dedicated vendors like Yunnan Sourcing. I've really liked all the puerh that I've gotten so far from Norbu Tea and Mandala Tea if YS is a little daunting.

Adagio, right? I'm not disagreeing, but my friend likes their pu'erh. I don't know what he gets, exactly, but he is rather picky.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

The Introduction to Fine Tea sampler set at Upton has a nice range in it of some of the classic black tea varieties (Darjeeling, Assam, Keemun, and Yunnan).

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Can anyone recommend a good book on tea? I've drank tons of tea over the years but I realized I really don't know a whole lot about it nor have I kept any tasting notes. Something that gives a broad overview of tea-producing regions, types of tea, cultivation and preparation would be ideal.

Looking through Amazon, Tea: History, Terroirs, Varieties looks like what I want, has anyone read that one?

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sounds great, but but I'm more interested in teas that are just purely tea so I'll pass so you don't waste shipping a sampler to me.

We'd be happy to send you a sample without any masala added, if you'd like. :)

Actually, I'm going to add a "Just Tea" product option, since you aren't the first person who wanted the chai w/o masala.

DurianGray posted:

Hey, I went ahead and added you to the OP under the vendor section, hope that's cool.

Of course, thank you so much for doing that for us!

We're having some template issues following an update to our backend, so our product pages are less than perfect right now, but we should have it all looking pretty again in the next day or so.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Boris Galerkin posted:

Their emperor sampler sounds right up my alley. Their pu erh sampler sounds kinda interesting too and fermented stuff is awesome but I'll wait tip I try the pu erh the emperor sampler gives me. Thanks!

I'm still drinking their emperor sampler but overall I think I preferred the raja sampler, and of that the darjeeling I think was my favorite. Their pu erh is my only experience with it and I didn't find the smell off-putting, though.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

chunkles posted:

Can anyone recommend a good book on tea? I've drank tons of tea over the years but I realized I really don't know a whole lot about it nor have I kept any tasting notes. Something that gives a broad overview of tea-producing regions, types of tea, cultivation and preparation would be ideal.

Looking through Amazon, Tea: History, Terroirs, Varieties looks like what I want, has anyone read that one?

I gave a friend a copy of that one for Christmas and he loved it. From flipping through it briefly, it's a beautiful book, and sounds like what you're looking for. I believe it's divided into chapters by region. The author is one of the owners of Camellia Sinensis Tea Shop in Montreal and seems to know his stuff.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Carbon Thief posted:

I gave a friend a copy of that one for Christmas and he loved it. From flipping through it briefly, it's a beautiful book, and sounds like what you're looking for. I believe it's divided into chapters by region. The author is one of the owners of Camellia Sinensis Tea Shop in Montreal and seems to know his stuff.

There seems to be a second edition of it. Is one any better than the other? The authors are different, though they are both marked with the Camellia Sinensis Tea Shop on the cover. The first one has a clay pot with four cups of tea on the cover, the second edition has cups of tea leaf next to a bowl of its liquor running down the right side.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

milpreve posted:

There seems to be a second edition of it. Is one any better than the other? The authors are different, though they are both marked with the Camellia Sinensis Tea Shop on the cover. The first one has a clay pot with four cups of tea on the cover, the second edition has cups of tea leaf next to a bowl of its liquor running down the right side.

Whew, good thing you posted this in time for me to cancel my order of the first edition. :sweatdrop:

This book is actually pretty expensive, I guess because it has a lot of nice illustrations, but it seems like exactly what I was looking for. I'll probably get to read it sometime this week.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

milpreve posted:

The one I bought in December was a first edition one, but he was selling the 2nd edition at the Toronto Tea Festival last month, so it seems like a very recent update. I didn't get a chance to look inside the new one to compare, though.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I've been reading the second edition of the book and it's a very nice book and pretty much exactly what I wanted. It goes in depth on history, production (both traditional and modern), tea-producing regions and some selected varieties of tea. It's also got a lot of pictures and glossy print, if I had a coffee table I would place it on there and surely it would be the envy of all my houseguests. I'm only like 1/4 of the way through but I've learned a lot more than I did in years of drinking tea and picking up bits and pieces of knowledge along the way. The only problem is now I'm going to have to order all the varieties they recommend that I haven't tried yet. :argh:

Anyway thanks for the recommendation.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Thoht posted:

The Introduction to Fine Tea sampler set at Upton has a nice range in it of some of the classic black tea varieties (Darjeeling, Assam, Keemun, and Yunnan).

I ended up buying this sampler instead. So far I've had the East Frisian BOP Assam Tea and thought it tasted kinda bland. I'm drinking the No.1 Tippy Orthodox GFOP Darjeeling right now and this one's more up my alley. Haven't tried the other two yet.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

The US teapigs website is now live: http://www.teapigs.com/

A little costly, but nice for something special. I really like their oolong, their super fruit, and spiced winter red tea.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Battle Pigeon posted:

The US teapigs website is now live: http://www.teapigs.com/

A little costly, but nice for something special. I really like their oolong, their super fruit, and spiced winter red tea.

Excellent. I love a good oolong.

Anyone else have Teapigs suggestions?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

XBenedict posted:

Excellent. I love a good oolong.

Anyone else have Teapigs suggestions?

Their chai and earl grey are not at all what I was expecting but taste fine when considered in isolation.

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

Just popping in to see if anybody has some experience with guayusa tea or knows where to procure good sources. My local grocer just got some bottled unsweetened stuff in the organic isle and the taste was enough to get me interested. Turns out it's possibly better for you than some green teas and has a nice amount of caffeine.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I picked up a box of Guayusa teabags from a local health food store (Stash brand). It's pretty interesting I think. It's not as bitter as Yerba Mate, which I think it's related to. It's apparently hard to over-steep since it doesn't have a lot of the bitter stuff regular tea and mate does. I remember it having the kind of squashy fall flavors that the yerb had but not the roasty flavors. I'd say it's unique. If you got the Runa drink, I think they also sell loose leaf and bagged Guayusa. Mine is Stash tea, and I haven't heard of any others that sell Guayusa.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
David's Tea has a nice guayusa. It can be a bit powdery, so using a fine filter is probably a good idea, but it has a very pleasant, sweet grassy flavor. I agree that it's almost impossible to over-steep.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

What's everyone cold brewing or making iced tea with this summer? I've been cold brewing a spring harvest taiwanese Bi Lo Chun the past week and its so refreshing. Got some new puerhs in today so I'm gonna see how a ripe one does overnight, probably will have to play around with leaf amount so it's not super strong.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

What's everyone cold brewing or making iced tea with this summer? I've been cold brewing a spring harvest taiwanese Bi Lo Chun the past week and its so refreshing. Got some new puerhs in today so I'm gonna see how a ripe one does overnight, probably will have to play around with leaf amount so it's not super strong.

Making iced: Teavana's Snow Geisha, with a pinch of dried stevia. Light, cherry, sweet; perfect iced tea. I seem to prefer white teas iced, though. And only Snow Geisha because I work at Teavana and get to make drinks on my shift. I've also been having our Monkey Picked Oolong iced because I can't bear to throw down the drain our sample when it's made right.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

milpreve posted:

Making iced: Teavana's Snow Geisha, with a pinch of dried stevia. Light, cherry, sweet; perfect iced tea. I seem to prefer white teas iced, though. And only Snow Geisha because I work at Teavana and get to make drinks on my shift. I've also been having our Monkey Picked Oolong iced because I can't bear to throw down the drain our sample when it's made right.

Seconding monkey picked oolong for iced tea, it's amazing.

Maybe not as good as the Ceylon Star blend from The Tea Smith (possibly local to me, not sure) but that's probably the price talking.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Seconding monkey picked oolong for iced tea, it's amazing.

It's amazing, full stop.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Where do you guys go to for everyday drinking teas. I see a lot of "it's pricey but good for something special". Maybe I'm a bit spoiled from when i got stuff wholesale.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

DontAskKant posted:

Where do you guys go to for everyday drinking teas. I see a lot of "it's pricey but good for something special". Maybe I'm a bit spoiled from when i got stuff wholesale.

For most of the winter my go-to everyday tea was a dark roast tieguanyin that was about $10 for 100g which norbutea stopped selling which makes me sad.

I'm all out of green TGY (monkey picked equivalent), but I've got some winter harvest ali shan still vacuum sealed, think I'll cold brew a pot tonight :D I've been neglecting my oolongs lately, too. Not a fan of cold brewed ripe puerh so far, kinda made me gag. The '12 sheng turned out pretty delicious though.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 2, 2014

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Back in my poor college days I'd get Mountain Rose Herbs or San Francisco Herb Company.

How do you guys brew iced tea? I love the cold bottled green teas i get in japan, taiwan, and hong kong but have no idea how to get that flavor.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

DontAskKant posted:

My "every morning" tea is Upton's Samovar Blend (http://uptontea.com/shopcart/item.asp?itemID=TB28). It's really smooth, isn't the most complex or subtle ever, but good.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

DontAskKant posted:

Back in my poor college days I'd get Mountain Rose Herbs or San Francisco Herb Company.

How do you guys brew iced tea? I love the cold bottled green teas i get in japan, taiwan, and hong kong but have no idea how to get that flavor.

http://verdanttea.com/how-to-make-iced-tea/ It's pretty much put tea in a pitcher, pour water, steep in your fridge overnight. Really easy and brings out a naturally sweet infusion and never any bitterness.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

http://verdanttea.com/how-to-make-iced-tea/ It's pretty much put tea in a pitcher, pour water, steep in your fridge overnight. Really easy and brings out a naturally sweet infusion and never any bitterness.

Much better than the southern method. Boil lipton black tea until bitter add hell then add syrup until it tastes good. Still had a soft spot with me, but soo unhealthy. I'll give the cold brew method a shot.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

DontAskKant posted:

Much better than the southern method. Boil lipton black tea until bitter add hell then add syrup until it tastes good. Still had a soft spot with me, but soo unhealthy. I'll give the cold brew method a shot.

Stop, you're making me nostalgic.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

I had a whole bunch of the Blueberry Kona Pop blend from my days at Teavana that I've been making, but it's running low, so I'll have to find something else soon! I'm a big fan of iced greens, so maybe that's where I'll go next!

FAUXTON posted:

Maybe not as good as the Ceylon Star blend from The Tea Smith (possibly local to me, not sure) but that's probably the price talking.

The Tea Smith is local, but they do have a website if anyone was curious enough to check it out.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

DontAskKant posted:

Got a local place with good prices, honestly, and I don't have to pay for shipping from them. You could check for tea shops in your area if you haven't already.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Hummingbirds posted:

Got a local place with good prices, honestly, and I don't have to pay for shipping from them. You could check for tea shops in your area if you haven't already.

Wegmans apparently has a pretty large loose leaf section if you have that in your area! And check asian grocery stores if you like chinese greens, they usually have a large tea section.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I'm in Seoul, Korea so tea is crazy expensive. I do have a bunch of bulk tea from Vietnam and Taiwan when I go on vacation. I always feel like I use too many leaves to get sufficient taste when cold brewing.

Made a rooibos iced tea the other day, but apparently rooibos that's 2 years and 5 years old in a ziploc takes on flavors. Wasn't very good.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Wegmans apparently has a pretty large loose leaf section if you have that in your area! And check asian grocery stores if you like chinese greens, they usually have a large tea section.

That reminds me, I recently got some surprisingly decent jasmine green at the local Asian market. It was like $4 for 200 g or something crazy.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

DontAskKant posted:

Yeah, but bitter is refreshing. I still do it the southern method, but I'll leave it just a touch bitter, instead of making fully sweet tea.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeah, but bitter is refreshing. I still do it the southern method, but I'll leave it just a touch bitter, instead of making fully sweet tea.

For Southern style sweet tea I just brew a decent indian black tea three times properly and add syrup to taste. I use about a 1/4 the sugar as my mother that puts the bags in water in the microwave for 15 minutes.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

cobalt impurity posted:

Lipton would also be an acceptable substitute while remaining relatively traditional. They make special round sachets that are meant to go into drip coffee makers, and that's exactly how my father did it.

Grab 6 of those filters, stack them as best you can in the basket of a drip coffee maker, and run a full pot through them (preferably one that's 10-12 "cups") and add this concentrate to 2 cups of white sugar, stir to dissolve. Dillute with tap water to approximately one gallon or however much fills your pitcher, serve over ice in a worn plastic cup you got at a Mardi Gras parade. You'll have a refreshing beverage that's syrup sweet and with an aftertaste reminiscent of pennies. If the cup is white it will stain, but hell, February is just around the corner and you can get more!

The whole idea is to take cheap tea, extract the ever-loving crap out of it, sweeten it beyond all reasonable measure, and then dilute until palatable. If you have to use ordinary bags, use 8-10, and if you're contemplating using loose leaf tea you've already given it too much thought for Southern Sweet Tea. :911:

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Yeah my fancifying of the tea is a hot topic sometimes.