Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I kinda like the old one a bit better, hopefully some of the other options have more clear glass for the center of the screen, the space littlebird look would get on my nerves a bit.

It's good that they're adding options though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Now if only we could use something other than the skunk :downs:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm not sure whether it's my PC or the game, but man I get stable FPS right until the point I look at one of the massive station complex, then the framerate just drops like a brick. It's really bad at the huge space weed plantations.

E: The new Xenon ship is big and scary, holy crap.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 15, 2014

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

So what's the gooncensus with the patch? Is the game finally worth investing at least a little bit of time in? I've left it installed but untouched since launch and am itching to get back into a space game of some sort.

Do the new game starts still have a storyline attached?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Starting as a Terran in Albion Prelude with the rebalance mod on was a great idea. The constant battles going on made for some great looting to get my bank balance fattened and plenty of combat chances now that I have a police license which the bounty system in rebalance mod pays big bucks for destroying ships. Managed to blow up a Argon M6 in my m3 and it paid out a cool million. Trying to save up for a M6 Katana now to give me some real firepower. Apparently in the mod they just straight up sell Valhalla's so that is a good end goal.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

kedo posted:

So what's the gooncensus with the patch? Is the game finally worth investing at least a little bit of time in? I've left it installed but untouched since launch and am itching to get back into a space game of some sort.

Performance issues are still there, it's playable but I'd advise waiting another major patch or two. It isn't quite as accessible as it can be yet and it still definitely has problems, so I'd give it another few months.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
I think you should wait... I just saw that on the "Rebalancing Test" official mod in the Workshop:

quote:

UPDATE 2014-05-13: This mod is now obsolete as the rebalancing will be applied in the standard game with 2.0. Thanks to those who gave us feedback. For information on the changes in X Rebirth 2.0, see the public beta forum[forum.egosoft.com] (account required). The Rebalancing Test will continue to work for versions 1.3x, but will have no effect as of 2.0. Until the release of 2.0, savegames with this mod will remain incompatible with the original game.

I know I'll wait for 2.0 because now I know it will exist in a "near" future...

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

In AP do NPC factions ever rebuild shipyards? Someone blew up the Saturn shipyard which I really needed because it was the only Terran source for a player Shipyard in XRM.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

In AP do NPC factions ever rebuild shipyards? Someone blew up the Saturn shipyard which I really needed because it was the only Terran source for a player Shipyard in XRM.

Yeah they definitely rebuild those kind of major stations, it might just take awhile.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

So all of the new starts have you in Argon space, which is really drat pretty and a huge breath of fresh air after slumming it in DeFries for ages.

This patch is a good patch.

Edit: Also the screen-on effect when you enter the mercenary cockpit is pretty awesome, and it gives me hope that in due time, other ships will be pilotable.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 16, 2014

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Ah, you beat me to it, I started with mk 2 weapons though.

kedo posted:

The beta looks alright, flew around in a merc start, simplified but weirder cockpit, still only one ship so far, so I will let them patch in an actual game, perhaps more actual pilot-able ships too...

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

In X3:AP news playing the stock market for endless hours so I could buy a ATF Valhalla was worth it because gently caress you Argon thats why. Time to hot drop on fools.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
2.0 is looking pretty promising, but I can't bring myself to drop $50 on this, and I don't want to go back to X3:AP at this point (because it's been a couple of months and I completely forgot how to play, again). If Egosoft wants my money, they need a price drop or some really convincing people to go on and on about 2.0 being the second coming of Christ, and it needs to happen before one of the other space sims out there comes up with something playable. Especially if one of them can scratch my exploration itch.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I'm not sure it makes sense for the game to get cheaper when it gets good. Discounts make sense when the game has been good and out for a while. When the game actually gets good that's when they can get some money for it from people who really want to play it, then discount to get stragglers.
That said I wouldn't be at all surprised if they put it on sale when they patch it to a level they're happy with and proud of.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

After a lot of work and finally getting a huge military complex setup to feed my orbital shipyard with resources and my headquarters with weapons/shields/missiles I feel completely exhausted. Spending 7 or 8 hours doing nothing but deploying stations and setting up CLS on dozens of ships really is draining on you. Now to just wait in SETA for a few in game days while it all starts to spool up enough production to make a fleet and equip it. This is all worth it in the end right?

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
Everytime I try to sit down and play X3:AP I just get wrecked no matter what.

Maybe time to turn off XRM and plod around like that, probably making the game needlessly difficult.

On the weekend by the way I accidentally bought into Elite Dangerous (Was drunk, did not realise it was 100 pounds as opposed to 100 dollars)
and the combat is pretty ok.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I think I am gonna get a nice m3+ and just spend the next whatever hours flying around dog fighting. Empire building is the most boring part.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I am still waiting and hoping that someone will figure out a way to turn off Collision Damage in X3 some day. Oh well, I guess that's why the ridiculously-shielded Solano M4s exist for carrier owners.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
Is there a lot of difference mechanics wise between AP and TC? I have TC through the recent bundle but if it's unplayable without the expansion that'll kind of suck

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
TC is standalone so you're good, you'll need TC to play AP though.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah it's fine, although AP does add a couple of UI improvements and a stock market that's essentially free money. If you see it for super cheap then I'd pick it up, but it's by no means necessary.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I'm really tempted to just go back to TC because a majority of the mods out there don't work with AP.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
What mods did you want to use?
I have not encountered problems between tc & ap use, however some mods do not play well together, hence false patches and so on.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo, I might have to reload Rebirth and give the 'ol shitbucket a spin.
EDIT: How do I opt in to the beta anyway?Never mind I can't read.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 20, 2014

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
You know looking at the recent space games in development, seeing the amount of progress they're making in such a short amount of time... we all are really desperate for space games, x series is seriously awful.

I can't even compel myself to reinstall AP to get my space fix, who wants to navigate 6 deep nested menus.

Seriously enemy starfighter, elite: dangerous, eve valkyrie, that other game...

I kinda feel bad for egosoft.

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011
Not many of the space games coming out have much, if any, in the way of economy or fleet management or any of the spergier things I like about the X series. I still feel like there's a sizable niche that Egosoft could serve, it's a shame they don't want to.

WraithMind fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 20, 2014

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Mr. Crow posted:

You know looking at the recent space games in development, seeing the amount of progress they're making in such a short amount of time... we all are really desperate for space games, x series is seriously awful.

I can't even compel myself to reinstall AP to get my space fix, who wants to navigate 6 deep nested menus.

Seriously enemy starfighter, elite: dangerous, eve valkyrie, that other game...

I kinda feel bad for egosoft.

I think Egosoft could've easily stayed in the niche they were in with the pre-Rebirth X games. While they had "deep nested" menus, there were more than enough people who were fine with it due to the complexity and options the game offered in exchange. With Rebirth they seem to be aiming for the same less complex mainstream that all those other space games are also gunning for.

And now in hindsight as we can say Rebirth is a big turd, I don't think they'll fare too well in that crowd.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
It's still early access and with the lack of tutorial, has a bit of a learning curve, but you could give Kinetic Void a shot. The devs are goons and post in the thread here, and are currently looking for some suggestions for what you could do when they land on the planets surface. If anybody is going to have ideas, its the X crew.

Here is the thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634824&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
I had a space craving. X-Rebirth? Bah, feels shallow. I didn't want to reinstall X3:AP and mess around with mods and start from scratch.

I tried many space games... Blah... Nothing to feel the hole X-Rebirth punched in me. One morning, I said gently caress IT. I reinstalled X3 and goddamn this feels good, even with the 10 level deep menus and "clip-your-wing-on-a-station-and-die" poo poo.

Do yourself a favor, play X3 again!

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
This might sound spergy and you would be right but I went through the effort of using Microsoft speech and a macro utility to set up
voice commands for a lot of the common actions.

I was pretty buzzed at the time and it seemed like a fantastic idea.

I know you can just hit buttons but there is something still fun about being all "Display sector map!" and bam, I get a sector map.

I mapped a ton of stuff like Seta, weapons lock, galaxy map, docking etc.

I use the keys most of the time but when I smoke up out come the voice commands! It makes me feel a teeny bit like a captain.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

insidius posted:

This might sound spergy and you would be right but I went through the effort of using Microsoft speech and a macro utility to set up
voice commands for a lot of the common actions.

I was pretty buzzed at the time and it seemed like a fantastic idea.

I know you can just hit buttons but there is something still fun about being all "Display sector map!" and bam, I get a sector map.

I mapped a ton of stuff like Seta, weapons lock, galaxy map, docking etc.

I use the keys most of the time but when I smoke up out come the voice commands! It makes me feel a teeny bit like a captain.

This owns so hard. I'm so tempted and I don't even smoke anymore. Sounds like fun.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

tehsid posted:

This owns so hard. I'm so tempted and I don't even smoke anymore. Sounds like fun.

It looks and sounds stupid to everyone around and if you are of the variety that does not like their...efficiency impacted it may not be
for everybody but if you just want to have a laugh with the lights off and your headphones off as you direct your ship around the galaxy
by shouting various "COMPUTER DO X" commands it is quite enjoyable :)

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cLpwbhTaFU

And the full notes / instructions here.

I was reminded that the game can look drat good. Anyone been playing unstable builds able to comment on the improvements?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Is it just me, or is the framerate in that video terrible? It looks good though. I need to remember to download the beta when I get home.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Boogalo posted:

Is it just me, or is the framerate in that video terrible? It looks good though. I need to remember to download the beta when I get home.

2.0 is out for real now as far as I can tell, so you should have it automatically.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

2.0 is out for real now as far as I can tell, so you should have it automatically.

Manual for 2.0
http://www.egosoft.com/games/x_rebirth/features/2.0/XR_2.0_Manual.pdf

'Launch' Trailer for 2.0
http://youtu.be/5cLpwbhTaFU

V1 is the new beta, obviously.

edit: Beaten by Bettik
edit2:

egosoft posted:

Version 2.00 (183618) - 2014-05-20

• New Feature: Three new gamestarts, each with a new cockpit configuration.
• New Feature: Rebalanced combat with three difficulty settings.
• New Feature: Additional commands for your ships.
• New Feature: Autopilot can fly your ship while you are busy.
• New Feature: All new highway flight model.
• New Feature: Most tasks can now be performed without landing on stations.
• New Feature: Full screen HUD detail monitor option.
• New Feature: Clicks on event monitor now open relevant menus.
• New Feature: Map/radar on event monitor.
• New Feature: New ships in Omicron Lyrae.
• New Feature: Huge new Xenon ship.
• New Feature: Four new missile types.
• New Feature: Improved graphics for an even more beautiful universe.
• New Feature: New graphics options and presets.
• New Feature: New start menu scene.
• New Feature: New Steam achievements.
• Added support for up to 8 input devices (now even your pet octopus can get the most from the game).
• Added option to buy replacement player ship cockpit layout from certain traders.
• Added shield damage for collisions.
• Improved responsiveness of main menu and dialogs.
• Improved event monitor with more space for important information.
• Improved positioning of interface elements in first person mode.
• Improved production logic now skips products where the station has too much stock.
• Fixed gamepad mode switching on when axis has non-zero value while at rest.
• Fixed problem with wrecked state of ship/station surface elements not always being loaded from savegames correctly.
• Fixed collectable objects not showing a target element.
• Fixed gates not showing a target element.
• Fixed info points not being displayed at drone launch pads.
• Fixed cases where clicking on larger targets didn't work.
• Fixed rare instance of mission objective bar being stuck on screen.
• Fixed text field not being reset when closing and reopening trade menu.
• Fixed problems with overlapping/truncated text on first person event monitor.
• Fixed cases resulting in jumping target elements.
• Fixed incorrect text in certain conversations.
• Fixed icon size in licence encyclopedia entry.
• Fixed distance sorting in trade menu.
• Fixed capital ships becoming invisible when boosting while player is close.
• Fixed cases where build icons were displayed without a builder ship in the player squad.
• Fixed missing trade offers for architects with no money.
• Fixed rare case of missing target elements (usually build locations or player owned cap ships).
• Fixed cases where targeting objects using gamepad/joystick controls did not work correctly.
• Fixed trade restrictions menu getting stuck.
• Fixed several causes of occasional crashes.
• Various optimisations resulting in small performance improvements.

Acknowledgements

Thanks to Jonathan "MAD Joker" Ziller whose NESA mod was a major source of inspiration for our version of the functionality to allow most tasks to be performed without landing on stations.

Looking at the support forum, it seems that bugs are still the order of the day, but this looks promising.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 20, 2014

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
So V2.0 is the version they wanted to ship (non-beta). So will 3.0 be the version that's actually worth playing? We'll see!

Also, I see BoobWindow is still there, probably still telling the computer to shut up as she talks constantly.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Backov posted:

So V2.0 is the version they wanted to ship (non-beta). So will 3.0 be the version that's actually worth playing? We'll see!

Also, I see BoobWindow is still there, probably still telling the computer to shut up as she talks constantly.
First mod to download is the boob window patch, the second is to remove her voice box.

Games good after that. e: It isn't yet before any Goon rushes out to buy it.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 20, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So it's okay to buy X:Rebirth now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
No. If you must punish yourself, buy it when it's 75% off, or when it actually gets good.

• Locked thread