Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
I know this is a $600 truck thread and I've posted both of mine but I have a question.

I have a line on 2..yes 2 1973ish El Caminos. A package deal of sorts. I have seen one of them but not the other but I could probably get both cars for about $800.

Only one of them has a title but I was thinking of buying them and making a daily out of one. I know very little about El Caminos but I've heard the 73+ models are not very desirable. Is it still easy to get parts for these years? A friend has an LS1 out of an old cop car that he will give me if I want to drop it in.

Talk me out of it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
The hell cop cars had LS1s? I thought the only vehicles that came with them were the Camaros, Corvettes, and the '04 GTO. Pursuit Camaro maybe?

Otherwise, I'm really not partial to that body style, but if you can make a bitchin' sleeper for not a lot of money then there's nothing wrong with that. :getin:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

He might mean the LT1. The old Caprices had those didn't they?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yeah they did, along with OptiSpark. :arghfist:

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006

T1g4h posted:

He might mean the LT1. The old Caprices had those didn't they?

My bad I meant LT1 out of a Caprice.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

jdfording posted:

I know this is a $600 truck thread and I've posted both of mine but I have a question.

I have a line on 2..yes 2 1973ish El Caminos. A package deal of sorts. I have seen one of them but not the other but I could probably get both cars for about $800.

Only one of them has a title but I was thinking of buying them and making a daily out of one. I know very little about El Caminos but I've heard the 73+ models are not very desirable. Is it still easy to get parts for these years? A friend has an LS1 out of an old cop car that he will give me if I want to drop it in.

Talk me out of it!

That generation of El Camino is ugly as hell (IMHO). if you really want to get one I recommend any generation besides the 4th gen. 73-77 was an ugly time in Detroit for the El Camino, Malibu, and Monte Carlo.

Edit: If you have no plans of reselling and like the look, go for it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

This thread has me in the market for a 92-96 F150.

Cant decide if I want a single cab short bed 4x4 I6 manual or a extended cab v8

There seems to be a large discrepancy in what they are rated for towing between manual and auto. Though I've heard that 90's towing numbers were mostly bullshit anyway. So now I don't know what to think.

I'd prefer a manual, all things equal.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Spiffness posted:

This thread has me in the market for a 92-96 F150.

Cant decide if I want a single cab short bed 4x4 I6 manual or a extended cab v8

There seems to be a large discrepancy in what they are rated for towing between manual and auto. Though I've heard that 90's towing numbers were mostly bullshit anyway. So now I don't know what to think.

I'd prefer a manual, all things equal.

The discrepancy is to avoid warranty claims on smoked clutches. Go with the auto ratings and carry on.

That being said, the M50D transmission is more for the ranger than an F150. It works fine for me but I've been told to stay away for lots of hauling (VIN will tell you what it has).

V8 or I6 you'll be happy, definitely keep the manual. The ext cab is really nice if you ever plan on using it as a 'normal' vehicle. It's a real pain to not be able to keep ANYTHING inside.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Extended cabs are the poo poo for being able to keep your dirt biking gear dry but the single cabs are so sexy.

I don't tow a lot or anything huge and heavy, but for the occasional 'every ones dirt bikes goin' over the pass'.

I think that you're right in that I6 or 5.0 V8, whatever comes in the best truck in the price range. I can't decide if I want to spend $1500 or $3000. Beat up and who knows cheap or better condition has receipts maybe doesn't need tires right away.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Spiffness posted:

Extended cabs are the poo poo for being able to keep your dirt biking gear dry but the single cabs are so sexy.

I don't tow a lot or anything huge and heavy, but for the occasional 'every ones dirt bikes goin' over the pass'.

I think that you're right in that I6 or 5.0 V8, whatever comes in the best truck in the price range. I can't decide if I want to spend $1500 or $3000. Beat up and who knows cheap or better condition has receipts maybe doesn't need tires right away.

I like the extra cab myself. Toss poo poo in the back and it's under lock and key and shouldn't get wet. Try that with a shell on your bed and you'll end up with the smallest thing you really need all the way in the front of the bed where you can't get at it.

funkatron3000
Jun 17, 2005

Better Living Through Chemistry

Welp, the adventure begins with my first truck. 1980 Ford F250 with a 4.9L inline 6 and the 4-speed with the granny gear. It doesn't run, but we basically got it for scrap value and don't think it'll take all that much to get it going again (haha). Someone in the past put in seats out of a Lincoln in it. If you hotwire the right wires together they even adjust! I'll build some side panels for the bed out of cedar or something once we get it running.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

funkatron3000 posted:

Welp, the adventure begins with my first truck. 1980 Ford F250 with a 4.9L inline 6 and the 4-speed with the granny gear. It doesn't run, but we basically got it for scrap value and don't think it'll take all that much to get it going again (haha). Someone in the past put in seats out of a Lincoln in it. If you hotwire the right wires together they even adjust! I'll build some side panels for the bed out of cedar or something once we get it running.

Badass! Flatbeds are amazing.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That's fuckin rad

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
OK I'm ready to totally change my tone about this truck. loving piece of poo poo :argh:

It's still cutting out randomly while driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Gmbx7eidU

New distributor/PIP, new ICM/TFI, cap, rotor, coil, plugs, wires, etc.

Really don't know what to do next but it died on me on an onramp on Friday with no shoulder and I couldn't get it going for a bit. Then it was back to normal again.

:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

If I can't fix this I will probably burn it to the ground ugh

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Id try the ignition switch next, or the wiring that goes to it in the column. Try jiggling stuff around to see if you can reproduce the problem.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Fart Pipe posted:

Id try the ignition switch next, or the wiring that goes to it in the column. Try jiggling stuff around to see if you can reproduce the problem.

The problem is that its random. I definitely am suspecting a short. I attempted to pull the harness on the entire motor, I got 90% of the way through before getting pissed and leaving it alone. UGH.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

Blaise posted:

The problem is that its random. I definitely am suspecting a short. I attempted to pull the harness on the entire motor, I got 90% of the way through before getting pissed and leaving it alone. UGH.

Short circuits blow fuses and kill other electrical parts. The problem your having is something going open circuit. And since you have replaced the most likely candidates, here's where I would go now.

1) Check the ignition switch and the plug going into it, Ford vehicles of that era eat these.
2) EEC and Fuel Pump relays. The EEC relay is brown and the Fuel Pump relay is green if they are original Ford parts. They work in tandem, (The EEC relay powers ECM, and the Fuel Pump relay) and when they start to go bad they will be intermittent until they cool down some.
3) Check and double check your engine and body grounds, don't be afraid to add a couple extras as Fords from that era have lovely ones and can cause all sorts of issues.
4) Pull the codes if there are any, you can do this with a jumper wire across the EEC diagnostic connector or an analog volt meter. There are some tutorials on the internet to show you how.

funkatron3000
Jun 17, 2005

Got the truck home and in the driveway!

The first challenge was getting the truck from the end of a long dirt road in rural NC to my suburban neighborhood 30 miles away. The flatbed tow truck the towing company sent proceeded to immediately get stuck at the end of the dirt road. The driver got creative and used the flatbed as a pusher to lift up the back of the truck and push the whole thing forward step by step until it was eventually on firmer ground. We then got my truck up on the flatbed and hightailed it back home.

Second challenge, figure out why the truck wont run. The battery was dead, so we swapped that out... and it fired right up and ran as smooth as a 1980 4.9L inline 6 with an unknown mileage can. We did notice that the battery wasn't charging though, so we swapped out the alternator, voltage regulator, starter solenoid, and starter, which fixed that problem. There are some unusual previous owner fixes under the hood though.

That's the end of a branch.

Anyway, it runs! Next step, get it registered at the DMV. The previous owner had left their tags in the cab, so I took those along to turn them in too. They had a 2014 registration sticker, which was part of why I agreed to buy this truck since it had obviously passed inspection fairly recently.

:dance: Hi I need to get new tags and turn in this old tag!
:j: The name on these tags don't match the title for this truck.
:confused: Are the tags for this truck?
:j: They're actually for a totally different car... that hasn't been registered since 2009.
:confused: ...
:j: These are stolen tags with a stolen registration sticker. You can see where they cut up the sticker.
:stare:

The title was clean though, so no more problems there. No problems for me at least.

Next and current step, tires, since the existing ones are dry rotted pretty bad. I didn't notice earlier, but the front wheels are split rims and the local tire place refuses to work on them (for good reason). So, now I'm searching for some cheap 8-165 bolt pattern wheels.

funkatron3000 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 4, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So do you have to submit it to a new inspection now that you've discovered stolen 2014 tags?

funkatron3000
Jun 17, 2005

Yep, but it's old enough that it doesn't have to pass emissions. New tires is hopefully all it'll take.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Too bad you aren't closer because I have at least 2 each of 16.5" and 16" 8x6.5 pattern Ford wheels that would fit that thing perfectly, with usable tires on them. It'd probably cost more to ship them than it will for you to buy the same thing at a local junkyard, though.

Sucks about the tags, sounds like the previous owner was a shady guy. Are you sure you actually bought his truck from him, not someone else's? Compare the title VIN to the truck's VIN already?

funkatron3000
Jun 17, 2005

Yeah, we compared the VIN on the title with truck before handing over any money. I had a friend helping out who has more car buying/craigslist experience and he'd been burned by that before.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Blaise posted:

OK I'm ready to totally change my tone about this truck. loving piece of poo poo :argh:

It's still cutting out randomly while driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Gmbx7eidU

New distributor/PIP, new ICM/TFI, cap, rotor, coil, plugs, wires, etc.

Really don't know what to do next but it died on me on an onramp on Friday with no shoulder and I couldn't get it going for a bit. Then it was back to normal again.

:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

If I can't fix this I will probably burn it to the ground ugh

If it is like my old 88 Ford was, there a a few relays clipped to the driver side fender under the hood. Check them for corrosion. Mine tended to give me grief when driving through rain until I cleaned up the connectors and covered them in dielectric grease.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

My lass in all her glory.

Found out that the worst fear / experience one can have with a much used vehicle is lending it out to someone; they don't know the quirks with the brakes, the transmission, the radio and so on.

The day with the wife has done no favors for my 3rd and 4th gears, I'm afraid. Looks like clutch time is around the corner...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If third and fourth are nastier than 1/2/5 now, it sounds like the synchros and such might be munched up too. I might recommend a rebuild while it is out.

Toyota r/g/w boxes are very similar to jeep ax15/ax5 boxes*, I've rebuilt or ghetto remanufactured both. Let me know if you have any questions, a rebuild kit is cheap on ebay if you decide to go that route.

* designed by the same company for both toyota and jeep, r/ax15 boxes generally for 6/8cyl, g/w/ax5 for 4cyl.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
if you have the transmission out you might as well just upgrade to an r154 and drop in a 2/1jz or 1uz.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Can't complain much, though, as this would be the first bit of "serious," work that she'd need since I picked it up from my old man in '00 / '01.

drat sturdy little trucks, all things considering - and thanks for the suggestions for the repairs, all.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's for the Thermactor (smog) pump - it just pumps air into the exhaust manifold(s).

If it has to pass a visual for emissions equipment, you might want to track down another one. I know at least where I'm at, even vehicles exempt by age from emissions still get a visual.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/4510686501.html

So I keep truck shopping and I'm reading into this one thinking "hey, this is pretty cool!" then I got a few points into "the bad" and had one of those "Oh. :geno:" moments.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Mat_Drinks posted:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/4510686501.html

So I keep truck shopping and I'm reading into this one thinking "hey, this is pretty cool!" then I got a few points into "the bad" and had one of those "Oh. :geno:" moments.

Way too many nice trucks in our area to grab that one.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Blaise posted:

Way too many nice trucks in our area to grab that one.

Agreed, but a 5.0 ranger without massive oil leaks would be pretty :getin:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

some texas redneck posted:

That's for the Thermactor (smog) pump - it just pumps air into the exhaust manifold(s).

If it has to pass a visual for emissions equipment, you might want to track down another one. I know at least where I'm at, even vehicles exempt by age from emissions still get a visual.

hahahaha, visual inspection? Not in seattle. They don't even check your lights work. Just a sniffer test for pre-OBD2 cars and just pull codes for newer cars. When I had my last mr2 I was actually talking to the emissions guy about the motor swap since he had a '86 with a s/c motor swapped in it.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Agreed, but a 5.0 ranger without massive oil leaks would be pretty :getin:

They pop up on CL pretty regularly, or s10's with 350 swaps. I really want one as well.

*edit*
damnit, now I am searching craigslist

Lifted 89 Ranger 4x4 V8 - $2850 (stanwood area)

1992 Chevy S10 LT1 V8 Black Regular Cab Short Box - $1

1984 chevy s10 406ci v8 - $3000 (puyallup)

1982 Chevrolet S10 v8 350 motor low rider - $3500

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 10, 2014

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Whoops wrong thread.

\/ Petersham, MA

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 11, 2014

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hate you. Also where was that picture taken? The area looks gorgeous.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
No emissions checks down here. :getin:

Some time I'll probably go ahead and yank off the egr valve since it's stuck (and bypassed by the previous owner) and replace it with a simple metal plate and gasket.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
:whatup: 5.0 liter v8 buddy

Previous owner electrical fuckery is the worst... I'm still discovering new unexplained grounds and questionably taped off wires. I spent a good portion of Saturday replacing just about everything in the ignition system, from the relay to the starter to the lovely push button ignition switch the PO put in.

Unrelated question, but has anyone pulled out the wiper motor on these things? I'm stuck by a stripped 8mm nut in an impossible to work with area that's holding the motor to the actuator arms.

Vise grips slip, too small of an area for a dremel... any ideas?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hacksaw?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Pop the two linkages off the arm, unbolt the motor or wiper arm+pivot, and deal with the screwed up nut outside the vehicle.

The bushings are usually replaceable, IIRC Dorman/HELP! has a grab-bag blister pack that contains the most commonly used ones.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Thanks! Unfortunately the opening is too small for a hacksaw, but a sawzall might do the trick :unsmigghh:

Failing all else, that's a really good idea to separate the actuator arms, one that didn't occur to me after an entire hour of swearing at the thing.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
My dream truck is a 88-95 toyota pickup with a 4 cyl diesel. It's a shame that swapping a diesel is so unreasonably expensive/difficult that it doesnt seem worth it really. Why couldn't we get them in america drat it :sotw: I think I'll settle for a 22re though. Right now I'm rolling the same gen 4runner with 3.0, I want the bed drat it.

• Locked thread