Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
The thing I don't like about the Ka-50 trim is that you need to be in the position you want to trim to, but with no application of controls. So say you want to hold a particular heading, you have to get the helicopter turned to that position then release controls and quickly press the trim button before it turns away. My solution has been just to remove any trim then set it to what I want every time I'm trimming, but that leads to bad things like the helicopter suddenly nosing up meaning you can hit your rotors together.

This is just how I've learnt to use the trim though, I could be doing it completely wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alr
May 14, 2009
There's something in the options related to KA-50 trim that allows you to hold trimmer to get it flying how you want it, release trimmer, and then it won't accept inputs from the stick until it's centered again. I use it, but my stick is kinda poo poo and I've set a deadzone that's probably bigger than normal and even then it's caught me out a couple of times.

Generally though, most people will recommend you hold the trimmer any time you're making course adjustments, I only really avoid using it if I'm lining up the ATGM reticle or making minor adjustments for landing.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
You basically hit trim to remove the pressure of pushing the cyclic (joystick) around. It's not a "keep the attitude/bank/roll" button because the Ka-50 actually has those assists, but they only work to a certain threshold.

What I do is every stick movement I trim, that way my joystick is always in a fairly neutral position and it keeps the helicopter extremely stable. Otherwise you'll find yourself flopping around like a retarded fish.

In other news I'm buying DCS A-10C which may be a bad idea before DCS MiG-21 but I've been flying the A-10A and I think it's really neat.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

Heliosicle posted:

The thing I don't like about the Ka-50 trim is that you need to be in the position you want to trim to, but with no application of controls. So say you want to hold a particular heading, you have to get the helicopter turned to that position then release controls and quickly press the trim button before it turns away. My solution has been just to remove any trim then set it to what I want every time I'm trimming, but that leads to bad things like the helicopter suddenly nosing up meaning you can hit your rotors together.

This is just how I've learnt to use the trim though, I could be doing it completely wrong.

Yeah, that's not how it works. You hold the trim button down while you are moving the stick, then release it when you are flying in the attitude you want to be flying in. You then quickly centre the stick. If you turn on the control aid thingy (CTRL+Enter I think) you'll see how it works.

Edit: Also, if you turn on central position trimmer mode under options/special, the stick won't respond until you re-centre it after trimming.

cormac fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 21, 2014

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

cormac posted:

Yeah, that's not how it works. You hold the trim button down while you are moving the stick, then release it when you are flying in the attitude you want to be flying in. You then quickly centre the stick. If you turn on the control aid thingy (CTRL+Enter I think) you'll see how it works.

Edit: Also, if you turn on central position trimmer mode under options/special, the stick won't respond until you re-centre it after trimming.

The central position trimmer mode is really awful, just learn how to recenter your controls after trimming and you'll do it without even thinking.

And flying the Ka-50 is like a breeze compared to the Huey.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Turning on that control visualiser is really useful for working out how it affects the controls.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll figure out how to fly this thing properly eventually :pilot:

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

ATC is always blacked out, although I can talk to ground crew.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Daimo posted:

You are flying a Huey.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I can't be the only one.

surely?

Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

Anyone who knows the mi-8 wanna answer a couple questions

1) Where is the switch for the interior dome light
2) Does the mi-8 have a landing/search light
3) What is the best way to lose altitude for a landing? I find I get into vortex rings in a decent rate as low as 1-2m/s

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Comma Chameleon posted:

Anyone who knows the mi-8 wanna answer a couple questions

1) Where is the switch for the interior dome light
2) Does the mi-8 have a landing/search light
3) What is the best way to lose altitude for a landing? I find I get into vortex rings in a decent rate as low as 1-2m/s

1) What?

2) Yes, There are downwards facing spotlights switched on (I think) from the upper right console of the Pilot-Navigators seat. The landing/taxi lights can be triggered from either pilots seat, and they should be on the other edge of the instrument cluster.

3) There's really no easy way to describe it, but depending on the situation decreasing the collective and raising the cyclic (pulling back on the stick) is my go-to strategy. Essentially the trick is to practice transitioning from hover to flight. This is mostly a non-issue on the Ka-50 for a few reasons and a gigantic factor on the Mi-8 because it's a fatass helicopter and you to a shitload of landing/taking off. You should keep in mind that hovering does take way much more engine power than you expect at first so I guess here is some really quick and dirty steps on hovering in an Mi-8.

a) As you start approaching 50km/h and below, you'll want to monitor your ascent/descent rate like crazy, this alongside the vibrating will indicate whether you are entering a vortex ring state.
b)As the vibrations start, increase the collective smoothly to arrest any sudden drops in altitude. You really don't want to be descending much at all while transitioning
c)After you have stabilised and you are not "flying" the hover assist instrument in the Pilot Commander's cluster will indicate movement forward, back left and right. You can use this to basically square up your hover.
d)CAREFULLY and gentley lower the collective to descent. It will not take much movement to get you sucked in and this is where the practice comes in because you'll know what to do/not to do and ensure you take your time.

It's really down to practice and experimentation. The Mi-8 is a challenge to fly well and to land at all so keep at it.

Also I'd like to add that if you ignore the vibrations of a VRS you will just fall out of the sky and good luck trying to get out of that. If you are low you pretty much can't recover and you die. :rip:

deck
Jul 13, 2006

Or just never descend vertically in a hover to land unless obstacles force it. It's extremely dangerous.

Circle the landing point as you slow and descend. The turn helps dump speed, and the forward motion helps avoid VRS. Circling the area also helps you spot any obstacles to avoid on the final approach.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

deck posted:

Or just never descend vertically in a hover to land unless obstacles force it. It's extremely dangerous.

Circle the landing point as you slow and descend. The turn helps dump speed, and the forward motion helps avoid VRS. Circling the area also helps you spot any obstacles to avoid on the final approach.

Also this pretty much goes without saying. I probably only cover the last 10 metres or so at a hover, otherwise it takes to long.

Deck is also a Huey nerd so it's pretty solid advice.

Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

Leo Showers posted:

Also I'd like to add that if you ignore the vibrations of a VRS you will just fall out of the sky and good luck trying to get out of that. If you are low you pretty much can't recover and you die. :rip:

Lol yeah this is what happened last night and prompted the post, I was used to the ka-50 and just figured my descent rate was safe and the vibrations were just an quirk of old helo's, well at least when I broke in half on the carrier deck the crew compartment didn't go into the drink.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

Same thing. I'm pretty sure you can redeem Eagle Dynamics keys on Steam. The only bad thing is that it takes forever for ED to upload patches and new modules on Steam. If you have Black Shark 1 you'll need to pay them :10bux: or so to upgrade to Black Shark 2 and get a DCS World/Steam key for it.

*black shark upgrade keys do not currently work with Steam DCS* - They work fine in standalone.

Edit: emailed support to find if they have an ETA.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 21, 2014

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I really hope they do allow use of the upgrade key in the future, I know it's not important since I can just fire up standalone but it would be nice to have all my stuff in steam too.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So there's all these tutorials on shooting bad guys in the A-10 but nothing about what to do if something shoots a missile at you. Is it safe to leave the countermeasure system in AUTO mode so I can concentrate on getting the hell away and looking for the AA to target with an AGM or should I handle it manually?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

So there's all these tutorials on shooting bad guys in the A-10 but nothing about what to do if something shoots a missile at you. Is it safe to leave the countermeasure system in AUTO mode so I can concentrate on getting the hell away and looking for the AA to target with an AGM or should I handle it manually?

Depends on the threat. MANPADS you can nullify just by flying higher than they can reach. 17k feet is what I'll do, though generally I'll go 20k to be a super oval office. This goes for all IR SAM's really.

For most radar missiles in the A10, height works against you. You'll want to be low enough to break LoS and by extension, the missiles lock. It'll go dumb and self-detonate a few minutes later. gently caress ya, Buk.

For SACLOS like the Tunguska, hide behind a hill and they'll miss, guaranteed.

For AA, the thing to remember is that no matter how accurate the gun, the bullets are dumb when they're in the air. You can dodge that burst just by not being where they thought you would when the bullets get to you.

The fact is, if you're being shot at by anything Radar guided, you have the right to call your mission maker a oval office for not properly SEADing the area. A10's shouldnt be there if radar SAM's are poppin'.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is it safe to leave the countermeasure system in AUTO mode

The problem with AUTO mode is it will dump flares / chaff when it detects ANY missile launch, including your wingmen's Mavericks. I prefer manual or semi-automatic mode. The basic modes are:

A) Medium Chaff
B) HEAVY Chaff
C) HEAVY Flare
D) Medium Chaff and Flare
E) HEAVY Chaff and Flare <-- My favorite.

The ECM modes are

SAM1: For older single-digit SAMs (i.e. SA-8)
SAM2: For newer double-digit SAMs (i.e. SA-10, SA-11, SA-15)
AAA and Air to Air are self-explanatory.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Luigi Thirty posted:

So there's all these tutorials on shooting bad guys in the A-10 but nothing about what to do if something shoots a missile at you.

Agree with Dandywalken: Even the theoretical Pk 1.0 "Magic Missile", i.e. one that cannot be evaded once fired, can be defeated by avoiding its weapons parameters. That being said, sometimes you will be ambushed by a hidden SAM and it's good to know what to do once fired upon.

1a) If a RADAR GUIDED SAM has a lock on you, IMMEDIATELY go defensive. ECM on, pump chaff, and break to place the emitter on your 3/9 line. If he's BEHIND you, break INTO the threat until he's at your 3/9 line. If he's AHEAD of you, break AWAY from the threat to place him on your 3-9 line. Once placed at your 3/9 line, roll wings level, begin a shallow dive to gain speed.

1b) You won't receive any advanced warning for an IR-GUIDED SAM (the targeting radar of the IR-guided SA-13 being the exception), so if you visually see a smoke trail or your MLWS goes off, immediately break to put the threat on your 3/9 line as above. If launch was BEHIND you, break INTO the threat until he's at your 3/9 line. If launch was AHEAD of you, break AWAY from the threat to place him on your 3-9 line. Once placed at your 3/9 line, roll wings level, begin a shallow dive to gain speed.

2) GET EYES ON THE MISSILE. You have approximately 4-8 SECONDS from launch to see the missile's smoke trail. After that it will burn out and be invisible. By flying perpendicular to the launch, you've created the longest possible lead that the missile must pull, and its smoke trail should be more visible.

Do you see the smoke trail? Decision time!

a) Is the missile tracking you? All SAMS guide by proportional navigation, if it's tracking you, the missile should appear slowly moving or stationary relative to your plane. If it's quickly moving across your LOS, it's either lost track, got decoyed by your countermeasures, or is going for your wingman. Caution: when the rocket motor burns out, the smoke trail will stop and it will appear to be rapidly falling behind you. Don't be fooled, the missile is likely still tracking you (and now invisible) in this case.

b) Assuming missile is tracking you, how far out is it? Estimate seconds until impact.
- A missile launched at max range can be defeated kinematically (GO TO STEP 3)
- A missile launched within the no-escape range will need a last-ditch maneuver (GO TO STEP 3 and STEP 4).
- If very close (not enough time for STEP 3), go straight to STEP 4.
- CONSIDER DUMPING STORES. (Map your jettison weapons button to your stick)

c) No tally on the missile? Uh oh! Your chances of successfully evading a missile you can't see are poor. None-the-less, you should have some idea of what shot at you, and from approximately where. Give your best guess as to time till impact and go to Step 3.

3) REVERSE COURSE. Time this for after the missile's rocket motor has burnt out or at least 10 seconds before impact. You're never going to be entirely sure, but a little early is better than a little late.

Make a hard break 180 degrees the other way with altitude change to make the missile expend the most energy to correct it's intercept path. If you have the altitude, a Split-S is recommended, otherwise a diving break turn, slicing AWAY from the missile. Keep your speed up and dump chaff/flares during the maneuver.

If the missile was launched from far away, this maneuver might have been enough for it to run out of smash. If you have the time, wait a few seconds to get your speed back up, and reverse away 180 degrees again!

4) LAST DITCH MANEUVER. Either the launch was too close for #3 or the missile still has smash and is about to hit you. This maneuver REQUIRES VISUAL ON THE MISSILE. Time this for approx 3-4 seconds before impact. Again, a bit early is much better than a bit late.

With the missile off your wingtip, pull back on the stick, and at the same time, roll towards the missile to keep it in the same position off your wingtip. As you complete the maneuver, you're flying a barrel roll around the longitudinal axis of travel of the missile. This creates the hardest tracking problem for the missile.

Chances of success of the last ditch maneuver are increased by depleting the missile's energy with Steps 1 and 3 above, which is why do we them. Also chances are increased with more speed and maneuverability on your part, which is why you should consider jettisoning your weapons.

5) WHAT TO DO AGAINST A CLOSE RANGE HEAD-ON SHOT? Say that BMP you were going to strafe turns into a Strela at the last minute and shoots a missile in your face. Against a close-range head-on shot, your primary advantage is that the missile is heavier and less maneuverable because it has not burnt off all of its fuel yet.

a) Hard break 45-60 degrees away from the missile with copius amounts of countermeasures.
b) Unloaded roll followed by IMMEDIATE hard break in the opposite direction, with copious countermeasures.

You're basically jinking the missile, tricking it into going one way and then immediately going the other. Because missiles fly lead pursuit, it may over compensate during the first part and not be able to correct its course in time.

c) Roll out to place the launcher on your 3/9 line and prepare to execute last ditch maneuver for immediate follow-up shots.

Alternatively...

a) Hard break to place missile on 3/9 line
b) Immediately execute last ditch maneuver. If you have the altitude, strongly recommend rolling INVERTED from your break turn, and pulling DOWNWARDS, as you'll likely expend quite a bit of energy during the break.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 21, 2014

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

I entered my BS2 upgrade key into Steam last week and it worked fine. Have you tried activating it? Derp

concise fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 21, 2014

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I love you, holy poo poo that's what I've needed for a while as an explanation of dodging missiles.

Edit: I think I did try last week but no luck on steam taking my key.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Agree with Dandywalken: Even the theoretical Pk 1.0 "Magic Missile", i.e. one that cannot be evaded once fired, can be defeated by avoiding its weapons parameters. That being said, sometimes you will be ambushed by a hidden SAM and it's good to know what to do once fired upon.

1a) If a RADAR GUIDED SAM has a lock on you, IMMEDIATELY go defensive. ECM on, pump chaff, and break to place the emitter on your 3/9 line. If he's BEHIND you, break INTO the threat until he's at your 3/9 line. If he's AHEAD of you, break AWAY from the threat to place him on your 3-9 line. Once placed at your 3/9 line, roll wings level, begin a shallow dive to gain speed.

1b) You won't receive any advanced warning for an IR-GUIDED SAM (the targeting radar of the IR-guided SA-13 being the exception), so if you visually see a smoke trail or your MLWS goes off, immediately break to put the threat on your 3/9 line as above. If launch was BEHIND you, break INTO the threat until he's at your 3/9 line. If launch was AHEAD of you, break AWAY from the threat to place him on your 3-9 line. Once placed at your 3/9 line, roll wings level, begin a shallow dive to gain speed.

2) GET EYES ON THE MISSILE. You have approximately 4-8 SECONDS from launch to see the missile's smoke trail. After that it will burn out and be invisible. By flying perpendicular to the launch, you've created the longest possible lead that the missile must pull, and its smoke trail should be more visible.

a) Is the missile tracking you? All SAMS guide by proportional navigation, if it's tracking you, the missile should appear slowly moving or stationary relative to your plane. If it's quickly moving across your LOS, it's either lost track, got decoyed by your countermeasures, or is going for your wingman. Caution: when the rocket motor burns out, the smoke trail will stop and it will appear to be rapidly falling behind you. Don't be fooled, the missile is likely still tracking you (and now invisible) in this case.

b) Assuming missile is tracking you, how far out is it? Estimate seconds until impact.
- A missile launched within the no-escape range will need a last-ditch maneuver (GO TO STEP 3 and STEP 4).

c) No tally on the missile? Uh oh! Your chances of successfully evading a missile you can't see are poor. None-the-less, you should have some idea of what shot at you, and from approximately where. Give your best guess as to time till impact and go to Step 3.

3) REVERSE COURSE. Time this for after the missile's rocket motor has burnt out or at least 10 seconds before impact. You're never going to be entirely sure, but a little early is better than a little late.

Make a hard break 180 degrees the other way with altitude change to make the missile expend the most energy to correct it's intercept path. If you have the altitude, a Split-S is recommended, otherwise a diving break turn, slicing AWAY from the missile. Keep your speed up and dump chaff/flares during the maneuver.

If the missile was launched from far away, this maneuver might have been enough for it to run out of smash. If you have the time, wait a few seconds to get your speed back up, and reverse away 180 degrees again!

4) LAST DITCH MANEUVER. Either the launch was too close for #3 or the missile still has smash and is about to hit you. This maneuver REQUIRES VISUAL ON THE MISSILE. Time this for approx 3-4 seconds before impact. Again, a bit early is much better than a bit late.

With the missile off your wingtip, pull back on the stick, and at the same time, roll towards the missile to keep it in the same position off your wingtip. As you complete the maneuver, you're flying a barrel roll around the longitudinal axis of travel of the missile. This creates the hardest tracking problem for the missile.

Chances of success of the last ditch maneuver are increased by depleting the missile's energy with Steps 1 and 3 above, which is why do we them. Also chances are increased with more speed and maneuverability on your part, which is why you should consider jettisoning your weapons.

5) WHAT TO DO AGAINST A CLOSE RANGE HEAD-ON SHOT? Say that BMP you were going to strafe turns into a Strela at the last minute and shoots a missile in your face. Against a close-range head-on shot, your primary advantage is that the missile is heavier and less maneuverable because it has not burnt off all of its fuel yet.

a) Hard break 45-60 degrees away from the missile with copius amounts of countermeasures.
b) Unloaded roll followed by IMMEDIATE hard break in the opposite direction, with copious countermeasures.

You're basically jinking the missile, tricking it into going one way and then immediately going the other. Because missiles fly lead pursuit, it may over compensate during the first part and not be able to correct its course in time.

c) Roll out to place the launcher on your 3/9 line and prepare to execute last ditch maneuver for immediate follow-up shots.

Alternatively...

b) Immediately execute last ditch maneuver. If you have the altitude, strongly recommend rolling INVERTED from your break turn, and pulling DOWNWARDS, as you'll likely expend quite a bit of energy during the break.

Please add this to the OP Vahakyla.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

concise posted:

I entered my BS2 upgrade key into Steam last week and it worked fine. Have you tried activating it?

Are you sure it was the upgrade and not the standalone? It certainly didn't work in the past, and ED were adamant that it never would. I ended up buying the standalone on sale so that I could get it onto steam along with all the rest of the modules, and to avoid the horrifically slow patcher from the non steam version of DCS world.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

cormac posted:

Are you sure it was the upgrade and not the standalone? It certainly didn't work in the past, and ED were adamant that it never would. I ended up buying the standalone on sale so that I could get it onto steam along with all the rest of the modules, and to avoid the horrifically slow patcher from the non steam version of DCS world.

Maybe?

EDIT: Wow, for years I thought I actually owned an upgrade copy... I'm an rear end.

concise fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 21, 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Now I'm curious as to whether or not DCS properly models SAM guidance methods. Obviously, not every missile should be using pronav. Also, I hope they modeled in Patriot being a total rear end in a top hat that doesn't even spike you until the endgame, at which point your best option is to just punch out.

And MANPADS shooting up to 17,000 feet? Those are some loving pro shooters....

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Now I'm curious as to whether or not DCS properly models SAM guidance methods. Obviously, not every missile should be using pronav. Also, I hope they modeled in Patriot being a total rear end in a top hat that doesn't even spike you until the endgame, at which point your best option is to just punch out.

I don't really think so, I think pretty much all the SAMs just have a general model. I haven't really flown against too many Patriots either so I can't comment on that one.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

I think that is kind of misleading because most A-10C missions are in the mountainous areas of the map where 17,000 MSL is actually more like 5,000 to 10,000 AGL

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, I use the altitude ASL for the A10C. So due to the mountains etc, it isnt actually 17000 feet AGL.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

Daimo posted:

ATC is always blacked out, although I can talk to ground crew.

The "INT" (interphone) setting is for talking to ground crews, you want to set the dial to 1 or 2 to talk to ATC, JTAC or other aircraft.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Makrond posted:

The "INT" (interphone) setting is for talking to ground crews, you want to set the dial to 1 or 2 to talk to ATC, JTAC or other aircraft.

Thanks - its on 3 in the picture, is that correct for the highlighted vhf?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The F-15c is pretty cool, gonna try and crash in formation with goons later.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Is there any reason to pay $25 for the F-15C separately as opposed to buying Flaming Cliffs 3? :psyduck:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Tenchrono posted:

The F-15c is pretty cool, gonna try and crash in formation with goons later.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kalleerikvahakyla/

Add me and I'll organize some F15C action.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is there any reason to pay $25 for the F-15C separately as opposed to buying Flaming Cliffs 3? :psyduck:

No. Just buy the pack to futureproof yourself.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
lol I am dumb.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Alternatively...

Why would you do a beam maneuver for a non-pulse Doppler radar? Why not go max speed with it straight aft to try for a fly out? Doesn't turning perpendicular to the launcher keep you in the WEZ longer?

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 22, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Also after having booted it up, read the "how to shoot" part of the manual, and generated an instant action MiG shoot-em-up, agreeing with the "F-15C is cool" bandwagon.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Yesterday me, Burno and Thief went on a super-spergy server to shoot nerds down.
Thief took off first and wanted to show some tricks.
This was basically the last thing I ever saw.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

JacksLibido posted:

Why would you do a beam maneuver for a non-pulse Doppler radar? Why not go max speed with it straight aft to try for a fly out? Doesn't turning perpendicular to the launcher keep you in the WEZ longer?

Flying straight away is a useful tactic when you're absolutely sure you're near the outer zone of the weapons envelope. However, the A-10 only does 300 knots vs a Mach 3-4 missile, which makes running away less useful than in a supersonic fighter. Making the SAM follow you through a beam and reversal maneuver bleeds as much if not more energy than flying away slowly. Plus it keeps your tally on the missile and leaves you in a better position for further maneuvers.

When beaming a SAM you're not going for the Doppler notch but trying to waste the missiles energy via a longer pursuit course. By doing a series of beams and reversals, each time reversing away from the launcher, you will eventually move out of the weapons envelope while maintaining your defensive posture and SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Flying straight away is a useful tactic when you're absolutely sure you're near the outer zone of the weapons envelope. However, the A-10 only does 300 knots vs a Mach 3-4 missile, which makes running away less useful than in a supersonic fighter. Making the SAM follow you through a beam and reversal maneuver bleeds as much if not more energy than flying away slowly. Plus it keeps your tally on the missile and leaves you in a better position for further maneuvers.

When beaming a SAM you're not going for the Doppler notch but trying to waste the missiles energy via a longer pursuit course. By doing a series of beams and reversals, each time reversing away from the launcher, you will eventually move out of the weapons envelope while maintaining your defensive posture and SA.

But your still sitting in the wez since it's all lateral movement, so they just launch a second and now you're at a low energy state?