Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stymie posted:

if the good guys won the cold war we would all be speaking russian

i think you mean german

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Install Windows posted:

i think you mean german

i think you mean chinese

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
i think you mean martian THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

Let's make it esperanto so everyone loses

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Afinostux posted:

Let's make it esperanto so everyone loses

that could only happen in some kind of hosed up vault scenario

and yeah, that would be the death knell of humanity

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Gus Hobbleton posted:

i think you mean martian THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

there's an lp of this somewhere and shockingly a game based on a single unfunny joke turned out to be atrocious

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol. how does it have a game of the year edition when it was one of maybe here games steam gave refunds for because it was so lovely?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
i've watched two of the patlabor movies this week. they're pretty good with a lot of good exposition between the robot action. some of the writing is pretty funny too. thanks for the recommendation guys.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol. how does it have a game of the year edition when it was one of maybe here games steam gave refunds for because it was so lovely?

Worst Game of the Year?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'll be sure the notify the international game of the year committee about this

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
i just read The Quantum Thief and i liked it. the crazy technology wasn't difficult to understand and there was an actual plot instead of just weird stuff happening. the society based on MMOs was pretty 'lol' though, especially since MMOs apparently haven't changed much in however many centuries it's been.

i did have a couple of questions about the ending: why does Isadore get power over the city? and how did the protagonist get the archon inside of him? those were probably explained but i missed it.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Action Jacktion posted:

i just read The Quantum Thief and i liked it. the crazy technology wasn't difficult to understand and there was an actual plot instead of just weird stuff happening. the society based on MMOs was pretty 'lol' though, especially since MMOs apparently haven't changed much in however many centuries it's been.

i did have a couple of questions about the ending: why does Isadore get power over the city? and how did the protagonist get the archon inside of him? those were probably explained but i missed it.

1) don't remember sorry
2) at the beginning when they had just escaped from the prison. the ship was being infected by the archon and he stopped it by moving it to a little virtual reality inside of him

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Action Jacktion posted:

if you lost yourself in parts of The Quantum Thief, i did too, don't bother reading the second, it is utterly unintelligible. I reread it and i still have no loving idea what the book is about. It also loses a lot of the quirky secondary characters in favor of god knows what. I think it was supposed to be a 1001 nights homage but it comes out as a loving mess of made up words.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

if you lost yourself in parts of The Quantum Thief, i did too, don't bother reading the second, it is utterly unintelligible. I reread it and i still have no loving idea what the book is about. It also loses a lot of the quirky secondary characters in favor of god knows what. I think it was supposed to be a 1001 nights homage but it comes out as a loving mess of made up words.

all words are made up :eng101:

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

have you read it? there are djinni's that are rogue AI or something and there is a lady who is a prostitute to other AI and uhh there is a parrot? gently caress i don't even know

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
nah I was just being annoyingly pedantic :/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

indigi posted:

nah I was just being annoyingly pedantic :/

just because we're on strike doesn't mean you scabs are allowed in

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

Found my copy of year's best science fiction from 2008. The thing I remember most about this book was some story about the singularity that actually turned out to be a bunch of references to slashdot followed by an itemized list of the author's fetishes. People must have really loved second life back then, huh

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Install Windows posted:

just because we're on strike doesn't mean you scabs are allowed in

fishmech comes out as the union-loving commie he really is

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
"NOOOOO," shouted the space alien. Gurgeh had made the best move. He had made the best space move. The robot congratulated him, and the girl wanted to have sex with him. "Well," thought Gurgeh, "I will have sex with her. I am, after all... THE PLAYER OF GAMES."

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

fractal prince is the sf pinnacle of show-don't-tell and (apart from the giant deus ex machina at the end) it owns

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qntm posted:

"NOOOOO," shouted the space alien. Gurgeh had made the best move. He had made the best space move. The robot congratulated him, and the girl wanted to have sex with him. "Well," thought Gurgeh, "I will have sex with her. I am, after all... THE PLAYER OF GAMES."

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

qntm posted:

the best space move

mods

just a suggestion here

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

AlsoD posted:

2) at the beginning when they had just escaped from the prison. the ship was being infected by the archon and he stopped it by moving it to a little virtual reality inside of him

oh i remember that now. thank you my young gnip-gnop!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

some1 rewrite tPoG so Gurgeh is a proper Gamer.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Jonad posted:

mods

just a suggestion here

GSV The Best Space Move

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

NoneMoreNegative posted:

some1 rewrite tPoG so Gurgeh is a proper Gamer.

"You are dead," a crisp little voice told him.

He lay on the unseen de_dust floor. He could hear distant, muffled noises, sense AWP shots through the ground. He heard his own heart beat, and the ebb and flow of his breath. He tried to hold his breathing and slow his heart, but he was paralyzed, imprisoned, without control.

He craved Doritos. It was impossible to eat them. What the gently caress is up with these noob rear end teammates? he asked himself.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

He lay on the unseen de_dust floor. He could hear distant, muffled noises, sense AWP shots through the ground. He heard his own heart beat, and the ebb and flow of his breath. He tried to hold his breathing and slow his heart, but he was paralyzed, imprisoned, without control.

He craved Doritos. It was impossible to eat them. What the gently caress is up with these noob rear end teammates? he asked himself as the cUn+D3$troyer1 teabagged his twitching corpse in celebration.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
there, finished the culture books.

guess i need some new books

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Quantum Thief if you're feeling clever

HPMOR if you're feeling smug/are an XKCD fan

Altered Carbon if you want blade runner era transhumanism

the original Uplift trilogy is cool and I can personally verify that it contains no dolphin/human sex :(

some Brandon Sanderson is always good, he has lots of fantasy (Elantris is my favourite) or modern superhero (Steelheart)

Red Mars if you're feeling patient

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
bitchin, thanks, added all those to my list except for uplift because that sounds like the biggest cocktease

edit what is hpmor? google just gives me harry potter and the methods of rationality which does not sound v good

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Gus Hobbleton posted:

bitchin, thanks, added all those to my list except for uplift because that sounds like the biggest cocktease

edit what is hpmor? google just gives me harry potter and the methods of rationality which does not sound v good

with the smugness and xkcd-like "rationality" disclaimers out of the way:

it is actually good. it suffers at time for the lack of editing but if you liked the books as a child i deffo would recommend it

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I just finished the first two altered carbon books and would highly recommend, its a nice alternative to the waves of garbage spewed out by Doctorow and Stross while still being cyberpunk

might try quantum thief next

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AlsoD posted:

with the smugness and xkcd-like "rationality" disclaimers out of the way:

it is actually good. it suffers at time for the lack of editing but if you liked the books as a child i deffo would recommend it

no it isn't

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Draco snarled. "She has some sort of perverse obsession about the Malfoys, too, and her father is politically opposed to us so he prints every word. As soon as I'm old enough I'm going to rape her."

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
yeah all books in which a character (esp one with a hosed up childhood) rapes or threatens to rape a person are garbage

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

AlsoD posted:

yeah all books in which a character (esp one with a hosed up childhood) rapes or threatens to rape a person are garbage

yeah, a small child threatening rape is really good and cool

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
also the author is a crazy sperg and scammer that runs an "ai research institute" that doesn't do anything besides take donations and post about how bayesian math is the end all be all of everything ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

qntm posted:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

He craved Doritos. It was impossible to eat them. What the gently caress is up with these noob rear end teammates? he asked himself.

lol at both of these

• Locked thread