Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Ynglaur posted:

I'm unsure where else in SA to ask, but this thread seems like it has people who know what they're doing?

What is the Goon consensus on the best antivirus for a local machine? I've been using MSE but anytime my laptop is near idle it spins everything up, which spins the fans on, which is loud, annoying, etc. I can get McAfee for free through my ISP (Cox): is it as terrible as YouTube parody videos suggest? I had a horrible experience with BitDefender a couple years ago. After uninstalling it, it leaves a pre-boot checker, which fails because it's not installed. Basically, I had to re-image two laptops because of this.

Thoughts, comments, and you-don't-really-know-what-you're-talking-about replies welcome.

Probably Avast! if you don't like MSE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Microsoft EMET and some judicious link clicking.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

I'm unsure where else in SA to ask, but this thread seems like it has people who know what they're doing?

What is the Goon consensus on the best antivirus for a local machine? I've been using MSE but anytime my laptop is near idle it spins everything up, which spins the fans on, which is loud, annoying, etc. I can get McAfee for free through my ISP (Cox): is it as terrible as YouTube parody videos suggest? I had a horrible experience with BitDefender a couple years ago. After uninstalling it, it leaves a pre-boot checker, which fails because it's not installed. Basically, I had to re-image two laptops because of this.

Thoughts, comments, and you-don't-really-know-what-you're-talking-about replies welcome.

I don't quite understand the process at work here (it's "near" idle, and then its suddenly not? or you think it should be quiet given the workload, but it isn't?) but this sounds like dust in the laptop. Take some compressed air and clean every in/outlet you can find. Pay particular attention to the main vents that kick out hot air.

Also depending on what you have running, this may be fairly normal behaviour for anything that tries to run when the machine is idle; various windows processes (indexing, pre-fetching, etc) as well as some third party programs will run tasks when the computer is otherwise idle.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ynglaur posted:

Have you tried running a full scan in MSE anytime recently? It may be trying to scan things it hasn't already checked while the computer's idle.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Khablam posted:

Take it as a PSA that download.com/CNET has bundled some really lovely stuff in the last few years, and if there's an alternative download for what you're looking for, always go for that one.

Yea, I've seen multiple cases of trashed computers and the only explanation from the client is "all I did was try out a few programs from download.com."

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Zogo posted:

Just don't run it on XP (or older machines) as it may delete critical system files and you'll have to repair the OS.

IIRC running Malwarebytes and http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/ will remove it completely.

I've seen it alone as a new bonus feature of uTorrent at least. It probably also gets installed with some of those free programs from download.com that have a lot of hidden checkboxes.

All you gotta do is boot off a hiren disc into mini windows XP and copy the root files back from a good XP install.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Install Windows posted:

Have you tried running a full scan in MSE anytime recently? It may be trying to scan things it hasn't already checked while the computer's idle.

That's a very good idea. I'll try that before going down the rathole of finding an AV program to replace MSE. Thank you.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Had a weird one crop up on my mother's tablet of all things. It masquaraded as a email from a uncle overseas ( Nevermind he never even calls, let alone emails, that would've been :siren: in my mind, but eh.. ) and it got opened up via the built in email app.

It crashed the tablet ( Samsung 10.1 3 if anyone is keeping score ) during what I assume was the process of mass-mailing itself to everyone in the address book. It even fired itself to the lovely windows mobile handheld my dad uses for work, revealing it was just a piece of text with 'ENABLE' and a link to a IP address which he didn't use thank god.

:psyduck: I always thought viruses for tablets were pretty much nonexistent. Not even sure if I've got rid of the drat thing because the closest virus scanner I can recognise is from AVG.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Android is actually pretty rife with viruses, it's highly recommended to have a scanner on android phones and tablets.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Eset has one I believe, maybe AVG, not sure who else. I'm not running one on mine but I really likely should :/

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Khablam posted:

Android is actually pretty rife with viruses, it's highly recommended to have a scanner on android phones and tablets.
Argh. I need to play catchup then. Bollocks.

Siochain posted:

Eset has one I believe, maybe AVG, not sure who else. I'm not running one on mine but I really likely should :/
I used the AVG scanner to give the tablet a once-over, I'll have a look at Eset as well. Thanks folks. Didn't see anything that looked like VIRUS.EXE when giving it a once-over with the eyeballs either, so hopefully it was just a one-off exploit. But I doubt it knowing my luck. :suicide:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

All you gotta do is boot off a hiren disc into mini windows XP and copy the root files back from a good XP install.

:laugh: that could be an inconvenience to many people. I think I read recently that 1/3rd of business computers are still running XP in 2014.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Siochain posted:

Avast does as well; just installed it the other day after idly wondering if there were such a thing as smartphone viruses. (I've only had one for a few months and it hadn't occurred to me yet.)

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Avast does as well; just installed it the other day after idly wondering if there were such a thing as smartphone viruses. (I've only had one for a few months and it hadn't occurred to me yet.)
I knew of them, but it's the usual story, didn't pay much heed until it hit thinking they were pretty rare in the wild. Ironic thing is I've spent hours playing family IT technician and their desktop has remained clean as a whistle, if installed with far too many hidden-object games. Thankfully they actually listen when I explain stuff. :toot:

So of course the first virus that lands a hit, is on the tablet we got my mom for christmas, and mails itself to everyone in the family. It was just lovely luck seeing as my uncle is in a pretty risky job, so it might've been him being dead or something. So it got opened without much thought. :sigh:

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Khablam posted:

My understand is that Android's currently in that sweet spot where basic common sense can actually keep you virus-free without needing a specialized app for it. If you make a habit of installing non-Play Store APKs from :filez: sites, though, there's certainly worse things you can have running.

EDIT: This is, of course, assuming enough familiarity/skill to look at the skeevier apps and go "okay, that may not be a good idea". There may well be people who would benefit from an Android AV, although I doubt that the average SH/SC poster would be likely to be on that list very often.

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 22, 2014

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Technogeek posted:

My understand is that Android's currently in that sweet spot where basic common sense can actually keep you virus-free without needing a specialized app for it. If you make a habit of installing non-Play Store APKs from :filez: sites, though, there's certainly worse things you can have running.

Sadly not, malicious ads are the main vector, and loads of apps that have served malware accidentally have made it onto various legit stores. Google et al don't vet apps in the same way Apple do, and even if they tried to be so thorough there's a much larger potential for error because the application simply has more access to the base OS than an iDevice does.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Khablam posted:

Sadly not, malicious ads are the main vector, and loads of apps that have served malware accidentally have made it onto various legit stores. Google et al don't vet apps in the same way Apple do, and even if they tried to be so thorough there's a much larger potential for error because the application simply has more access to the base OS than an iDevice does.

Everything I understand about how apps work on Android is telling me that this post makes no sense whatsoever. Wouldn't you still have to approve the actual install before the app in question can start making GBS threads up the phone?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Yes, but it's not exactly difficult to create some stupid flashlight app and request permissions for everything. Most users would probably just hit "Accept" and pow, malware installed.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Zamujasa posted:

Yes, but it's not exactly difficult to create some stupid flashlight app and request permissions for everything. Most users would probably just hit "Accept" and pow, malware installed.

That would be what I meant by the "basic common sense". My original post was basically starting with the assumption that we were talking about a more technically minded user, but I can see how that might not have been clear. I'll go back and edit.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Technogeek posted:

Everything I understand about how apps work on Android is telling me that this post makes no sense whatsoever. Wouldn't you still have to approve the actual install before the app in question can start making GBS threads up the phone?

This is correct. Android "scanners" are almost entirely useless.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Install Windows posted:

This is correct. Android "scanners" are almost entirely useless.
I wouldn't say almost.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Khablam posted:

highly recommended by who?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

mindphlux posted:

highly recommended by who?

By the developers of android scanning apps.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The examples of malware in this thread should be a prime example that the "I'm not the kind of person to get viruses/malware" fallacy is the biggest spreader of malware. It's the same logic that makes 90%+ of people agree they're "an above average driver".

At any one time on the Google Play store there are 150-200 apps that contain malware, and there have been multiple examples of fake apps making it high in the charts. e.g. the fake blackberry messenger app that went high into the charts (which got removed when users reported their malware scanners had an issue with it) which was particularly effective because the logical permissions it asked for to be able to function like any other messenger app, were the same ones it could use to do harm.
If you're not lucky enough to live somewhere where your main App store is Google Play, then others (legitimate stores) have malware in the 5-10% range.

This ignores that there have been a decent number of exploits on the platform (and various manufacturers are still hideously bad at pushing updates out) which don't require user interaction to get you infected; the drive-by exploit is usually fed by banner ads.
There's also a recently-discovered (and almost entirely unpatched) flaw that allows a seemingly innocuous app to install with almost no permissions at all, and then self-escalate it's own permissions.

Your risk is much smaller than, say, someone using Internet Explorer with unpatched Java, but to colour anyone recommending Android anti-malware as a shill is going too far the other way.
None of this is to say that an anti-malware scanner is going to keep you perfectly safe, but there's not really a compelling reason not so use one.
Mobile malware is definitely on the up, and unfortunately "mobile malware" = "android malware" for all intents and purposes.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

The examples of malware in this thread should be a prime example that the "I'm not the kind of person to get viruses/malware" fallacy is the biggest spreader of malware. It's the same logic that makes 90%+ of people agree they're "an above average driver".

At any one time on the Google Play store there are 150-200 apps that contain malware, and there have been multiple examples of fake apps making it high in the charts. e.g. the fake blackberry messenger app that went high into the charts (which got removed when users reported their malware scanners had an issue with it) which was particularly effective because the logical permissions it asked for to be able to function like any other messenger app, were the same ones it could use to do harm.
If you're not lucky enough to live somewhere where your main App store is Google Play, then others (legitimate stores) have malware in the 5-10% range.

This ignores that there have been a decent number of exploits on the platform (and various manufacturers are still hideously bad at pushing updates out) which don't require user interaction to get you infected; the drive-by exploit is usually fed by banner ads.
There's also a recently-discovered (and almost entirely unpatched) flaw that allows a seemingly innocuous app to install with almost no permissions at all, and then self-escalate it's own permissions.

Your risk is much smaller than, say, someone using Internet Explorer with unpatched Java, but to colour anyone recommending Android anti-malware as a shill is going too far the other way.
None of this is to say that an anti-malware scanner is going to keep you perfectly safe, but there's not really a compelling reason not so use one.
Mobile malware is definitely on the up, and unfortunately "mobile malware" = "android malware" for all intents and purposes.

Do you have one example of a in the wild, drive by, ad malware that can infect android without any user interaction? I'm being half snarky and half curious.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I'm more interested in the unpatched privilege escalation vulnerability he's claiming exists, because every such vulnerability I can track down has in fact been patched. The most likely one I can see him claiming is the "Pileup" vulnerability, which had in fact had a patch made available to OEMs more than two months before the tech media pubilished stuff about it.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
As far as I know there is still no way to get an Android virus, in the wild, without having installed an .APK first (regardless of where you go said .APK) or pushed it via ADB.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Technogeek posted:

I'm more interested in the unpatched privilege escalation vulnerability he's claiming exists, because every such vulnerability I can track down has in fact been patched. The most likely one I can see him claiming is the "Pileup" vulnerability, which had in fact had a patch made available to OEMs more than two months before the tech media pubilished stuff about it.
Yes, that's the one, adoption of updates including the vulnerability fix hasn't been great, which is mainly why I think AV on android is a good idea.

Stanley Pain posted:

As far as I know there is still no way to get an Android virus, in the wild, without having installed an .APK first (regardless of where you go said .APK) or pushed it via ADB.
I believe this is the case presently, as well. The drive-by downloads can't force a package to install, but the ones identified work roughly:

- They download a java trojan
- It downloads the APK which masquerades as a system update
- This will pop up at a random time after visiting the page so that it appears to be disconnected from the browsing

Anyway, my point was simply that trusting the app stores to be clean of malware (even the Play store) is where a lot of people fall down, and that's what the comment I was replying to was stating.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's a "good idea" in the same way that not getting in an accident is a good idea. It doesn't accomplish anything in practice.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Khablam posted:

Yes, that's the one, adoption of updates including the vulnerability fix hasn't been great, which is mainly why I think AV on android is a good idea.

I believe this is the case presently, as well. The drive-by downloads can't force a package to install, but the ones identified work roughly:

- This will pop up at a random time after visiting the page so that it appears to be disconnected from the browsing

Anyway, my point was simply that trusting the app stores to be clean of malware (even the Play store) is where a lot of people fall down, and that's what the comment I was replying to was stating.
What'd be worse is trusting someone to give out security advice when they're talking out of their arse.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Khablam posted:

I won't defend how long it takes certain OEMs and/or carriers to push updates, but the fact that there's been a functioning patch for about four months now would make your earlier claims of an "almost entirely unpatched flaw" seem rather hollow.

I'd also expect that methods of detecting and countering it have been rolled into Google Play Services by now, which would make it a moot point. I don't have any APKs to test that with, though.

Actually, that brings up a question that I don't think has been answered yet: how exactly would an antimalware app do something that isn't already built in to Google Play Services? You've got "this is probably an app that you shouldn't install" warnings whether or not you're installing from Google Play, as well as the ability to forcibly uninstall apps which are known bad.

quote:

What exactly is the difference between "java trojan" and "malicious APK" in this scenario?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Technogeek posted:

What exactly is the difference between "java trojan" and "malicious APK" in this scenario?

A "java trojan" is a thing that doesn't exist on Android. No stock browsers or major third party browsers for Android have Java support for web pages (There's some addons you can get for Firefox that let you do it though).

Incidentally, here's what typical Android malware will look like, and how to remove it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGTV0bVbHh4

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

tonberrytoby posted:

By the developers of android scanning apps.

Like this standard example of an android antivirus?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...s-a-total-scam/

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

What'd be worse is trusting someone to give out security advice when they're talking out of their arse.

Install Windows posted:

A "java trojan" is a thing that doesn't exist on Android. No stock browsers or major third party browsers for Android have Java support for web pages (There's some addons you can get for Firefox that let you do it though).
Yeah I probably deserve that, in fairness to myself it's been a year+ since I was looking at Android malware, which I was doing at the time because my friend had his phone rootkitted. The method I suggested is cut together from two half-remembered viruses. The main one I was thinking of is the Obad backdoor (and similar variants) that used Java exploits when installed to pull down and execute other code when installed. The actual payload APK didn't need any permissions to do this, and it couldn't be forcibly uninstalled. It and similar viruses made use of previously unknown exploits.
Android patch adoption is poo poo. 4 months isn't a long time in Android terms. Google's own metrics show less than 1% of people abopt the latest update in the first 3 months, and a lot of handset vendors don't ship updates for 6 months. e.g. Jelly Bean took 6 months to break 10% adoption.

thelightguy posted:

Like this standard example of an android antivirus?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...s-a-total-scam/
Given my original post was answering the question as to whether it was sufficient to trust the Google Play store, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make by showing that the #1 app for a week was a forgery, other than my original point that app vetting isn't very tight on there.

Install Windows posted:

It's a "good idea" in the same way that not getting in an accident is a good idea. It doesn't accomplish anything in practice.
No, I'm not convinced mobile AV is highly effective either, but most of the better big-name ones are still free anyway, so there's still not a compelling argument not to use one.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Khablam posted:

Given my original post was answering the question as to whether it was sufficient to trust the Google Play store, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make by showing that the #1 app for a week was a forgery, other than my original point that app vetting isn't very tight on

Well of course it wasn't caught until someone decompiled it. Their vetting process sandboxes apps and tests for malicious behavior, just like Apple's. An app that does literally nothing isn't going to be caught by either app store.

And an "app that does nothing" is a prime example of every android antivirus in existence currently.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Khablam posted:

Android patch adoption is poo poo. 4 months isn't a long time in Android terms. Google's own metrics show less than 1% of people abopt the latest update in the first 3 months, and a lot of handset vendors don't ship updates for 6 months. e.g. Jelly Bean took 6 months to break 10% adoption.

Security fixes take less time to go out than actual point releases if they can be implemented without needing to do the latter, if only because there's generally much less need to rebuild all the various customizations that the OEMs add on top of stock Android. The examples I've been able to track down point to roughly a month to clear all the hurdles. Should still be a lot shorter, of course, but I suspect a good chunk of that is carriers dragging their feet. (For example, it took less than two weeks for a fix to a vulnerability in HTC devices to go live for GSM devices in Europe, but almost a full month to hit carrier-branded devices stateside.)

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 23, 2014

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Khablam posted:

Take it as a PSA that download.com/CNET has bundled some really lovely stuff in the last few years, and if there's an alternative download for what you're looking for, always go for that one.

I think Sourceforge is doing the same!

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?
I have a really annoying piece of malware that I'm struggling to get rid of.

Occasionally I'll be browsing within Chrome and I'll suddenly get a new tab opening, which goes to tracking.syncedvision.com which then redirects me to an advertising page, usually for a mainstream gambling website like SkyBet or something like that. It seems like it's a browser extension or something that hijacks mouseclicks - I can tell when I'm about to get one of the offending tabs because all the usual mouse hover events stop working. I don't think it's related to the sites I'm browsing because it happens on internal sites too.

The weird thing is that this seems to be something that's embedded itself within my Google account, because I created a new VM and installed Chrome, and pretty soon I was getting the same thing. I've installed every piece of software I can think of to try and get rid of this - MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware, ADWCleaner, RogueKiller, none of which seem to have made any difference although it seems to be happening less commonly now.

Can anyone shed any light? Or maybe suggest any Chrome-specific cleaning tips?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Do you have Chrome set to automatically enable syncing extensions? If so, it may be a malicious extension that is causing the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

Ynglaur posted:

Do you have Chrome set to automatically enable syncing extensions? If so, it may be a malicious extension that is causing the issue.

I figured it out. I narrowed it down to a couple of extensions, either SALR for Chrome or the uTorrent browser extension. It was the uTorrent one and it's apparently a 'feature' that was added in a recent update judging by some of the latest reviews - hence never picked up by my AV or any of the malware detectors that I mentioned. It injects an iFrame into the browser that essentially turns the entire webpage into a link to their ad referral partner. The best part is that people have reported that the iFrame injection can actually break certain websites.

Uninstalled that poo poo immediately and I haven't had the problem since.

• Locked thread