Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Oh wow, I had no idea the Yokohama show was that close.

Yeah, 15:00 JST is 2 AM EDT, it's going to be loving awesome being able to watch NJPW at a fairly reasonable hour. Shame the card's a bit average for what's supposed to be a huge show, but I'm a lot more sold on AJ after seeing him defend the title in person and Ibushi/Ishii should be loving awesome.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

So I'm using this free CamDictionary app on the iPhone to translate the kinpuro app screenshot by screenshot and it's surprisingly effective. So far I've been able to register an account, at least.

Edit: I went with Nakamura as my starter pokemon.

I think I earned some voltage points.

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 20, 2014

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Thauros posted:

Oh wow, I had no idea the Yokohama show was that close.

Yeah, 15:00 JST is 2 AM EDT, it's going to be loving awesome being able to watch NJPW at a fairly reasonable hour. Shame the card's a bit average for what's supposed to be a huge show, but I'm a lot more sold on AJ after seeing him defend the title in person and Ibushi/Ishii should be loving awesome.

I'm really looking forward to Ibushi vs. Ishii. Oaka vs. Styles II should be great as well.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

epitasis posted:

So I'm using this free CamDictionary app on the iPhone to translate the kinpuro app screenshot by screenshot and it's surprisingly effective. So far I've been able to register an account, at least.

Edit: I went with Nakamura as my starter pokemon.

I think I earned some voltage points.

Realized I'm a dumbass and the app is just a front-end for the website, though it was still useful for scanning all the QR codes on the cards. I think yottsume said the game plays itself and you're really just assembling a team? I think it works something like team tennis where you have your worst wrestlers match up against your opponent's worst wrestlers and so forth. I have no idea what the moves/boosts do and I thought they were more effective on certain wrestlers but I just pushed the "auto" button and assume it placed everything well.

My "standard" team:

Six-man match - Grade 1 (weakest) wrestlers only

Tag match - Grade 2 wrestlers

Singles match - Grade 3 wrestlers

(I'd like to see Anderson do that move)

Tag match - no idea what the grade thing on top says

Shibata is a 3 and Milano A.T. is a 4 though the Shibata card is RRR so maybe it's higher powered?

Main event singles - again no idea what the requirements are

So I selected practice match and picked an NPC opponent and nothing happened. Then I went back and realized it had already simulated the matches, I think, but I could replay them? And they actually simulate them out with the cards whacking into each other though Google Translating couldn't quite keep up:

The boosts in the corners were activated mid-match. The gold ones are based on like, combinations of cards maybe? Like I'm guessing the computer's team on the left selected three guys that were all G1 Climax winners and IWGP champ. The move boost cards also get activated there. My Stan Hansen/Fale/Makabe team also had "Ties of the New Japan" and "Lars Less Tough Guy"??? I think the NPC team was Kojima, Naito and... somebody I forget. But no boost cards.

Lemme know if this is of any interest to y'all but I'm enjoying fumbling my way through it.

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 21, 2014

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Who has the Maybach Bomb that's awesome.

We need a Rick Ross emote.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Some guy in NOAH named Maybach who I also got a card for - I think he might carry a pitchfork to the ring.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

epitasis posted:

Some guy in NOAH named Maybach who I also got a card for - I think he might carry a pitchfork to the ring.

Maybach Taniguchi, who yeah carries a weird two prong pitchfork thing with him. He recently challenged Nagata for the GHC title.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1roybh_yuji-nagata-c-vs-maybach-taniguchi-noah_sport

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Thauros posted:

Maybach Taniguchi, who yeah carries a weird two prong pitchfork thing with him. He recently challenged Nagata for the GHC title.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1roybh_yuji-nagata-c-vs-maybach-taniguchi-noah_sport

Man-Catcher, an esoteric pole weapon used to capture criminals in feudal Japan, though the real thing looks a lot nastier than what Maybach uses (which would be classified as a Sasamata).

There were all sorts of different versions, too. Some were little more than halberds or large clubs with lots of pointy bits added on, others even had a handcuff-like mechanism on the business end that would lock around limbs.

It's derived from a weapon used in China around the same time. A similar device was used in parts of Europe all the way into the 1700's. The lasso capture pole in use by most animal control agencies today is also probably derived from it at least in part.

A handful of Japanese companies produce modern versions now for police in riot/crowd control situations. They're also issued to some schools - teachers are trained how to use them as a way to safely subdue unruly students/intruders: http://www.japantoday.com/category/crime/view/teachers-pin-down-knife-wielding-man-with-two-pronged-man-catcher

E: VVV Yeah, that too.

E2: for the record, the idea of using these things on knife wielding maniacs is loving hilarious to me. They should just take it to its logical conclusion and start using comically oversized old timey dog catcher nets.

Horns fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 21, 2014

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It was also used by the bad guys in Night Trap.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

All my schools have modern versions of that, and all think it's an effective tool against crazy attackers. Japan is weird sometimes you guys.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
New excerpt from Tanahashi's book translated by yottsume, talking about strong style and NJPW having to change, really interesting:

http://yottsumepuroresu.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/njpw-hiroshi-tanahashi-talks-about.html

Also ordered one of the NJPW x Hello Kitty shirts through yottsume, hella excited.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Observer's out:

quote:

For a number of reasons, things are not looking good for the 5/25 return to the Yokohama Arena show, the first time New Japan has run the 17,000-seat building just outside of Tokyo. As of 5/16, they had only sold 3,000 tickets. Most of New Japan’s PPV shows this year, aside from the Tokyo Dome and Sumo Hall in Tokyo, have been advanced sellouts. New Japan returning to the building isn’t that big of a deal because people see the Seibu Dome show in August as the big one. In addition, it wasn’t until 5/18 in Japan that they could announce the main event, since A.J. Styles was defending the IWGP title in New York.
:smith:

They really should've planned this better for such a big bulding instead of just throwing a normal PPV card together unusually late.

quote:

Gedo & Jado were very impressed with Adam Cole at the two shows, and it looks like they are going to bring him in.

He'd be perfect for Bullet Club

Thauros fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 22, 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Bullet Club feels pretty bloated as-is unless they just really want someone in Super Juniors under that banner

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
We need heroic gaijins who oppose everything Bullet Club stands for.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

He should be a member of Suzukigun.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

maybe don't book poo poo rear end NWA guys and poo poo rear end Gracies and you'll sell more tickets !!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

John Cena posted:

He should be a member of Suzukigun.

Yeah, now that you mention it that would be pretty cool since the other gaijin heavy heel stable could really use some help right now. I just really loving hope Yokohama's the end of MiSu/YTR.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

masato tatanka posted:

maybe don't book poo poo rear end NWA guys and poo poo rear end Gracies and you'll sell more tickets !!

they really disappointed me

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Bard Maddox posted:

We need heroic gaijins who oppose everything Bullet Club stands for.

Shield vs Bullet Club, in my dream world where NJPW and WWE do a cross promotional event.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

masato tatanka posted:

There's going to be TWO Gracie matches at the next show :gonk: the booking has slipped a bit. Last year was still awesome (the Okada Title Defense Tour was fantastic).

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

They could be putting together much better shows but if they continue they are going to make their 2013 hot streak look like a fluke. Getting bigger & better venues then putting on worse cards is a bad thing.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, after being initally extremely opposed to the idea I can understand why they put the belt on Styles since the guy can go and the desperately need new main eventers (I still wish they'd push Machine Gun as a singles guy though, he's loving awesome and his main event matches were well received).

Their top card matches have still been excellent though IMO (unless a Gracie's involved), the real problem is how stale and mediocre the first 2/3rds of their cards have been lately outside of junior tag matches. Last year they were able to put together compelling complete cards with virtually the same roster, and I wish they'd stop from falling into the stereotypical WWE trap of booking the same poo poo month after month with very little variation. On the bright side, at least they've given Ishii a well deserved push. Ishii/Ibsuhi should own.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

quote:

“What exactly is this ‘Strong Style’ that you speak of?”
No one was able to give me a clear answer for my question.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Last excerpt from the Tanahashi book, talking about his rivals:

http://yottsumepuroresu.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/njpw-hiroshi-tanahashi-talks-about-his_22.html

quote:

One thing that Okada lacks is an irresistible body that people could tell by first glance that he is a pro-wrestler. This is what makes pro-wrestler different from other athletes, and I think that all wrestler should aim for building such body. When Okada attains this, he will be second to none.

quote:

Shibata has always turned down what the company brought to him saying, "I'm not interested” but when you ask him what he wants to do, he never came up with an actual plan. There’s no way the fans would support him, and Shibata himself would eventually reach a dead-end. That’s why I refuted, “Shibata is like a junior high student who has just entered his rebellious age. Pro-wrestling is a brawl? Killing? Then why are you wrestling in the first place!”

The part about Tensai is really interesting also, I wasn't watching New Japan when he was there, having only seen his stuff in WWE it's weird that Tanahashi seems to think so highly of him. Should probably watch that match.

Biosys fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 22, 2014

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
At the time NJPW and Lesnar had split, so Giant Bernard was essentially a Lesnar stand-in as "big gaijin who heels it up only for Tanahashi to overcome him" -- I thought that it was the beginning of NJPW's years of building its way after the nadir of the Inoki days, hence why Tanahashi would attribute such importance to Bernard and that match.

The Shibata segment of the excerpt was most interesting though, since it gave context to both his blow-up at Shibata during last year's G1 Climax and is in-line with his earlier sentiments, as is this remark on Shibata's 'shooter' style:

quote:

There is no “Next” to those Bachi Bachi style matches. As I pointed earlier when I talked about dangerous moves, fans will seek for more intensity. And the wrestlers have to escalate their violence. And a gruesome scene that you would want to look away will take place on the ring again.
I believe that the true nature of pro-wrestling lies in arousing fans’ interest, making them wonder, “Where will this fight lead to next?” Is there “Next” to Shibata’s pro-wrestling?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

My re-watching / catching up on New Japan 2013 has reached the G-1. I've never watched an entire G-1 before, but in some probably stupid desire for completionism, I ordered DVDs of the whole thing. I have a 4 day weekend over the holiday, so I think I'm going to spent big chunks of it watching shows and trying to keep a running point total. Should be great prep for the Yokohama show :v:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Thauros posted:

Yeah, after being initally extremely opposed to the idea I can understand why they put the belt on Styles since the guy can go and the desperately need new main eventers

Yeah, it's nice having AJ on top because he can work with Tanahashi, Nakamura, etc and it's all fresh matches. Moving the title from Okada to anyone else NJPW home-grown would be the same matches we've been watching for the past couple years.

Is there anyone on the roster right now that is pegged as "the next big thing"? I tend to skip over NJPW undercards, unless I hear of a blowaway match here or there.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

triplexpac posted:

Is there anyone on the roster right now that is pegged as "the next big thing"? I tend to skip over NJPW undercards, unless I hear of a blowaway match here or there.

Not really. Yohei Komatsu has something but he's years away. I don't think Takaaki Watanabe or Horumi Takahashi are going to kill it after their learning excursions.

The rest of the upper-mid card is the same as it has always been save Ishii being a Most Outstanding Wrestler candidate. He has an aura about him but it's far closer to "someone's gonna get their rear end kicked" than "next big thing."

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

triplexpac posted:

Takaaki Watanabe has changed his look considerably since his excursion so I wouldn't be surprised if he returns to the main roster soon, I don't think anyone is pegged to be the 'next big thing' like Okada was or that anyone will for a long time.

Sho Tananka & Yohei Komatsu have been the two featured young lions on the undercard over the last year or more, they seem solid enough but I don't know how far off they are from moving up the roster. Apparently there aren't a lot of trainees in the dojo lined up, and there were rumors some of the few there are had quit, but I think that rumor was quelled.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is there something about Naito that makes him not a candidate to be a top guy? Seems like he completely flopped when they set him up to face Okada.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

Everyone was behind Okada by the time Naito came back from injury, he was just a victim of role reversal. If you watch the last 5 minutes of this match it's the opposite.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I think part of Naito's problem was that it understandably took him a while to get back to his pre-surgery level after his time off.

His series with Ishii seems to have helped get the adult fanbase back on his side and I think he at least warrants a shot against Styles to see how the fans take to him getting a world title shot against a real heel.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

It was pretty transparent that Naito was being setup to be the next guy which took a lot of the fun out of the G-1. I could see crowds being resentful over that. Dude's turned it around though. I'd like to see him and AJ Style square off.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Push Honma!!!!

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

Some of his G1 matches were extremely lame finishes too, several times he would just get worked over all match then setup & hit his finish and win. It wasn't very believable.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Give Goto the belt.

Any belt.

Any at all.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Biosys posted:

Give Goto the belt.

Any belt.

Any at all.

NEVER

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

That belt would be fine.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

Goto vs Ishii would be a reallyyyyy good match.

I'm sure it's already happened but I haven't seen it so they need to do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03IWomPOGPw&hd=1

and http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xycx4d_05-hirooki-goto-vs-tomohiro-ishii-njpw-03-17-13_sport

they both owned

• Locked thread