Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Trujillo posted:

Should re-pick countries in the regions listed so we don't have one or two players in Asia/North American playing single player.

You don't understand Platypus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Is there a way to observe these games? Not sure I can commit to 4 hours on Saturdays, but it'd be fun to check out how the game is going.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Trujillo posted:

:siren: New Multiplayer Campaign :siren:
Just a heads up - I've got a bunch of weddings and other activities that will be taking up my Saturdays this summer - especially for the first month that this will be active. I might not be the best person to include in this campaign. That being said I'd love to drop in - if I'm available and people need a sub I'll gladly ruin their country for them.

Gedder in Steam.

1: North Africa-Levant

2: Lowlands

3: Iberia

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Sergiu64 posted:

Is there a way to observe these games? Not sure I can commit to 4 hours on Saturdays, but it'd be fun to check out how the game is going.

People sometimes do Twitch streams I guess.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Ill drop Iroqouis but I retain that Qurighar/The Maldives are close enough.

If those aren't acceptable here are three more choices

1. Khazaria

2. Ireland

3. Aragon/Strongest Iberian Christian power

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Steam: goodness-kun

1. Al-Andalus
2. North Africa
3. ?

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Trujillo posted:

Steam Name: jzilla

1. Kiev
2. Oman
3. Brandenburg

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Sergiu64 posted:

There's an observe mode in the game, so hopefully

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Steam name: sadface250 ( Don't ask :v:)

1. Thessalonica
2. Ireland
3. Scotland

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

You know me Sammut.

1) Navarra or Aragon
2) One of Occitanian nations
3) Crimea or another of the Tartar states

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

BillBear posted:

Steam name: *redacted* ( Don't ask :v:)

1. Thessalonica
2. Ireland
3. Scotland

Tried to search for *redacted* but got nothing but here's my Steam if you want to add me.

Added a not finalized list+map to the post with the announcement for anyone who wants to get a better idea of what's been claimed so far. Not too late to change countries either if you don't like what you see here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3606000&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=78#post430042697

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 26, 2014

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Trujillo posted:

*No players can be allied with each other while at peace to prevent the formation of mega alliances. You can only ally in war.

Trujillo posted:

The goal is to get two players in each region. Everyone should have a nearby neighbor to interact with, whether that means dividing up your region or turning it into a thunderdome.

Europacraft: Wings of Monarchy

I don't have the free time to even consider joining in on this, but I'm going to chip in anyways: From my point of view EU4's combat, and wars in general, are done very poorly, and I really wouldn't enjoy any multiplayer game that was based around PvP wars rather than being centered around diplomacy and politics.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Oh hey Dibujante I'm so glad we're neighbors I think we'll get along fabulously . :chef:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Im interested.
Steam: RagnarokAngel http://steamcommunity.com/id/accordingtosnopescom/
1. Papal State
2. Scotland
3. Switzerland

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Eastern Europe gonna be fun.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Trujillo posted:

Tried to search for sadface250 but got nothing but here's my Steam if you want to add me.

Yeah okay I added you, I thought you had to add the person by the account name you made when you first start the account. My proper name is just Bill.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

unwantedplatypus posted:

Oh hey Dibujante I'm so glad we're neighbors I think we'll get along fabulously . :chef:

Trujillo knows how to keep it exciting :black101:

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Lori posted:

Europacraft: Wings of Monarchy

I don't have the free time to even consider joining in on this, but I'm going to chip in anyways: From my point of view EU4's combat, and wars in general, are done very poorly, and I really wouldn't enjoy any multiplayer game that was based around PvP wars rather than being centered around diplomacy and politics.

I still think there'd be a lot of diplomacy and politics, I think what Sammut is just trying to do is make things a bit more dynamic. With regards to fighting PVP it can actually be super fun and much more strategic than fighting AI armies. The example I always give is our old Friday game where it was Byz/Persia vs Russia/Kansu. There was a big manoeuvre war while I tried to hold the Caucus front while Byz pushed up through Crimea. A lot of baiting armies and feint attacks were used to try and give our separate armies enough time against the others on both sides.

Another point about the diplomacy/politics though: I don't think that rule will take it away. You can still talk to each other and agree not to attack/work split something up but it's just meant to make it so you can't just make straight alliances that last hundreds of years. It'll make choosing your friends and knowing when to call them in all the more important than having them always be at your back.

I think it will make diplomacy even more important to be honest.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
The problem I see with it is with out permanent allies a smaller power will get crushed and removed from the game by larger ones that they thought were neutral towards them in a surprise attack with no time to arrange alliances.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

Rumda posted:

The problem I see with it is with out permanent allies a smaller power will get crushed and removed from the game by larger ones that they thought were neutral towards them in a surprise attack with no time to arrange alliances.

Thats why you make friends.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Rumda posted:

Alliances aren't the only diplomatic option in the game. It just means things like guarantees and warnings will get more use.

It does make surprise attacks a lot more dangerous. Just be careful where you position your army in peace time and what maintenance you leave them on.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Rumda posted:

That's why you guarantee independence and ask for guarantees. You can still convey some of your intentions. But if you're planning on Molotov-Ribbentrop-pacting someone, then they had better hope they actually put in the time to make friends.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I imagine that given how easy it is to forge claims you wouldn't even need an alliance to agree to attack a mutual neighbour.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm probably not gonna be able to play this for a few months but I had a really interesting game going (as Poland I killed Russia before they expanded and I'm interested to see if Spain goes all the way through Siberia.) I'm assuming this patch will break the save, is there a way to prevent Steam from updating? For some reason the Automatic Updates option in Steam is only "Always keep up to date."

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Just don't launch it from steam, pdox games are drm free.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Any tips for reforming your government as a horde? Just as soon as my legitimacy gets high, my ruler dies and so I have to start over from the beginning again. I've gone through the cycle three times now and it hitting 90 seems just as far away as it was when I started the game.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Koramei posted:

Any tips for reforming your government as a horde? Just as soon as my legitimacy gets high, my ruler dies and so I have to start over from the beginning again. I've gone through the cycle three times now and it hitting 90 seems just as far away as it was when I started the game.

There is a strong luck component.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Does WoN have a release date yet?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Does WoN have a release date yet?

May 29th

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
If I annex and then release a nation as a protectorate, will they be released with the same religion as my country?

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib

El Pollo Blanco posted:

If I annex and then release a nation as a protectorate, will they be released with the same religion as my country?

No, I just tested it with the Mayans and they had their old religion.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Spaseman posted:

No, I just tested it with the Mayans and they had their old religion.

I haven't tried this recently but they should switch if you convert their capital before releasing.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Zeron posted:

Just don't launch it from steam, pdox games are drm free.

Just opening Steam will update the game. Make a copy of the game folder, though, and that'll work fine.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Friend Commuter posted:

Just opening Steam will update the game. Make a copy of the game folder, though, and that'll work fine.

To add to that, only limitation is that you won't be capable of playing multiplayer.

On the other hand, Paradox has been quite nice about letting you revert the Steam version of EU4 to older versions. If you check Properties/Betas, you can see a selection of older 1.3 and 1.4 versions to play with, exactly for the people who don't want to lose the dozens of hours they invested in a save. You can also tell Steam to simply not keep the game updated.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

ZearothK posted:

To add to that, only limitation is that you won't be capable of playing multiplayer.

On the other hand, Paradox has been quite nice about letting you revert the Steam version of EU4 to older versions. If you check Properties/Betas, you can see a selection of older 1.3 and 1.4 versions to play with, exactly for the people who don't want to lose the dozens of hours they invested in a save. You can also tell Steam to simply not keep the game updated.

Our goal is to have it always savegame compatible.. But there will always be some peoples saves that break.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

^^ On that note, will WoN be save game compatible?

Btw, I heard something about needing to enable betas to be able to play your ironman games again?

I'm about 20 years from finishing a game and I'd really like to complete it before the expansion hits.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

pdxjohan posted:

Our goal is to have it always savegame compatible.. But there will always be some peoples saves that break.

Has Bohemia received massive buffs for traitorous nations invading within weeks yet?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Munin posted:

^^ On that note, will WoN be save game compatible?

Btw, I heard something about needing to enable betas to be able to play your ironman games again?

I'm about 20 years from finishing a game and I'd really like to complete it before the expansion hits.

Yeah there's a beta called ironman-fix-open-beta, opt into that and it'll work.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Is there any way to check to see if an army will receive a crossing penalty before actually attacking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Trujillo posted:

Saturday 3:00PM EST/8:00PM GMT/BST for four hours
Starting on 5/31 or 6/7

Count me in.
Steam Name: yarpblat (I'm in the EUgoons group I think)
First Pick: Novgorod
Second Pick: Whatever area needs another player I don't really care!

• Locked thread