Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Pretty Zombie
May 9, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

gently caress I hate Memorial Day weekend.

And I'm a vet :negative:

But all the free food!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Ditto. I view it as a free day off work.

I am the bad man Mallard Fillmore bitches about :(

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

The Pretty Zombie posted:

But all the free food!

Argh. I forgot about that. Do you know how many vets are out there? You have to make reservations at Applebee's for goodness' sake. Or you wait an hour to get your free appetizer or whatever they are giving away from the "value" section of their menu so they can bait you into buying a real meal.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ceiling fan posted:

Argh. I forgot about that. Do you know how many vets are out there? You have to make reservations at Applebee's for goodness' sake. Or you wait an hour to get your free appetizer or whatever they are giving away from the "value" section of their menu so they can bait you into buying a real meal.

'Real' meal...

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Ceiling fan posted:

You have to make reservations at Applebee's for goodness' sake.

Veterans have gone through enough, why would you do such a thing? Survivor's guilt?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Someone call for Henk?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

colonel_korn posted:

Anyone wanna put in a bulk order?

"America loves Obama! They love him so much that almost half the country doesn't disapprove of him!"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Why the poo poo do you even care about this? Of all things to take issue with, why does this non-problem bother you enough to keep track of it?
Except I didn't keep track of it, as evidenced by my post literally saying I lost count?

Show Don't Tell is a basic rule of the medium (which can be bent or broken if you are talented, which Rall is not), and it's funny see how long Rall relied on text boxes to tell us everything instead of letting people infer it from the actions and thoughts of his characters. This is a guy who thinks he has the chops to write his own version of 1984.

In other words: relax. It's just a way of saying that Rall is a hack :v:

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Oh...ehm...

gently caress you..?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

Except I didn't keep track of it, as evidenced by my post literally saying I lost count?

Show Don't Tell is a basic rule of the medium (which can be bent or broken if you are talented, which Rall is not), and it's funny see how long Rall relied on text boxes to tell us everything instead of letting people infer it from the actions and thoughts of his characters. This is a guy who thinks he has the chops to write his own version of 1984.

In other words: relax. It's just a way of saying that Rall is a hack :v:

I'm surprised that guy got so mad at you for that post but doesn't have anything to say to the guy making multi-paragraph analyses of each page.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

54.4 crowns posted:

Oh...ehm...

gently caress you..?

WHY DO YOU HATE ARE TROOPS!?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
To demonstrate Rall's "Show Don't Tell" problem, let's look back at the very first page posted, the only one I actually bothered to read.

Our first introduction is Rall describing Winston's watch:

quote:

It was a bright hot day in April, and the battered Texas Instruments watch on Winston's wrist, purchased in a moment of ironic consumerism at a flea market, was beeping thirteen.

See anything in there that maybe should have been, oh, I dunno, drawn?! Something that, in fact, is not visible at all on that page? Now, granted, the "moment of ironic consumerism" factoid would probably need some text to be introduced, but pretty much everything else could be established by just drawing the outdoors and Winston's watch. Which Rall seems to have entirely forgotten about since Winston doesn't appear to be wearing a watch. (Anyone spot a frame with Winston wearing this watch? Honestly I'm a bit curious.)

quote:

Winston nodded at the bored desk attendant and scanned himself into his luxe/river vu/2 BR in Battery Park Tower D.

Here Rall at least drew the guard and Winston scanning. Sort of. The guard could be bored, there's no way to tell, since Rall doesn't do facial expressions, and without the text, it would be impossible to know that Winston is "scanning himself into" his apartment and not picking up a flyer from a rack.

And it goes on. So much stuff that, in the hands of a competent cartoonist, would have been drawn, has to instead be told in text boxes to make up for Rall's lack of expressive faces and horrible art style.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm actually really curious the number of vets who actually do hate what Memorial Day has become. Is it one of those issues that conservative cartoonists like to act high and mighty about or is there a big contingent of vets who do find the weird, I suppose commercialization is the word, of the holiday offensive?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm actually really curious the number of vets who actually do hate what Memorial Day has become. Is it one of those issues that conservative cartoonists like to act high and mighty about or is there a big contingent of vets who do find the weird, I suppose commercialization is the word, of the holiday offensive?
I suppose it's a matter of cynicism and experience? Some of my vet friends appreciate it, some ignore it, others roll eyes. I don't think there's any monolithic bloc of vets that has a specific attitude toward it.

Unlike politicians, who will deliver the same platitudes as ever.

And political cartoonists, who will do the same.

Except Tinsley, who will probably try to give the middle finger to teachers, postal workers, and other governmental employees as "lazy".

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Terminators are super affordable, apparently.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Goddamnit. I know it's Catalino, so he probably thinks he put in enough work by actually drawing tracing something new, but how hard would it be to put in some bees with a label slapped on them and make some sort of message? And if you're dispensing with the single blue balloon (which is kinda the point), why aren't they blue, white and red - you know, the reverse KGB of the Russian flag?

(Also, if you're doing a "Winnie the Pooh in Russia" cartoon, you really should be using the superior far more relevant Russian version)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

You can't demand higher wages! Robots will replace you!

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

MisterBadIdea posted:

Terminators are super affordable, apparently.

I really hate this argument, because it is not true. Whenever you replace a counter jockey with a machine, whether it's in fast food or retail, the line has been demonstrably proven to move slower and produce less customer satisfaction. Plus, the machine has a much higher upkeep, and, it universally requires human staff around anyway for when it breaks, or doesn't work, or the customer does something it can't handle. The auto-checkout at the grocery store I custodianed at last summer was calling staff up to make it function every day I was there.

Pay the goddamn mop jockeys more.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Darkman Fanpage posted:

You can't demand higher wages! Robots will replace you!

This is actually just a thing happened cartoon. Fast food restaurants are seriously looking into replacing workers with robots.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Xenoveritas posted:

This is actually just a thing happened cartoon. Fast food restaurants are seriously looking into replacing workers with robots.

This is actually extremely hilarious.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Xenoveritas posted:

And what do the commentaries contain?

quote:

Working at a fast food restaurant was never meant for a grown adult who may be raising children, or a single parent, or just an adult in general. You can not survive on that kind of income. But I guess it's easier for people to complain they don't get paid enough (When they work at a job that should be occupied by high-schoolers.) rather then reach for something better.

quote:

People who expect to raise a family with kids on a burger flippers pay need to seriously have their heads examined. They definitely have a mental disease. Now with Obummercare, and their free medicaid, maybe they can finally get the mental help they need.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh yes, "fast-food jobs are for teenagers, adults should just go get a higher-paying job somewhere". Where do you even start with that? How do you even begin reacting to that kind of ignorance?

I'm asking seriously. My dad's a pretty party-line Democrat, and last time I tried discussing Seattle's push for a $15 minimum wage with him, it pretty much ended with that sentiment. It's not like his 24-year-old son can just explain "the way the world is".

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 24, 2014

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Yew got a problem with the indy 500 yew fuckin commie?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ditocoaf posted:

Oh yes, "fast-food jobs are for teenagers, adults should just go get a higher-paying job somewhere". Where do you even start with that? How do you even begin reacting to that kind of ignorance?

I'm asking seriously. My dad's a pretty party-line Democrat, and last time I tried discussing Seattle's push for a $15 minimum wage with him, it pretty much ended with that sentiment. It's not like his 24-year-old son can just explain "the way the world is".

Give whoever's mouthing off a recent grad resume, even in the vaunted STEM fields, and tell them to get looking. Make sure they know there's only six months before they have to start paying off loans.

And regarding serverbots, :laffo: if you think fast food companies weren't thinking about this without a minimum wage hike.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

"Hey, baby, want to kill all humans?"

quote:

So Boehner & Co are fundraising off of dead Americans? Good to know, Breen.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Give whoever's mouthing off a recent grad resume, even in the vaunted STEM fields, and tell them to get looking. Make sure they know there's only six months before they have to start paying off loans.

And regarding serverbots, :laffo: if you think fast food companies weren't thinking about this without a minimum wage hike.

As I said, they've been thinking about this for YEARS. And trying it--some restaurants already have automated cashiers, and grocery stores have self-checkout lines. The problem is that without an enormous leap in technology to allow computers the same kind of capabilities that humans have, it's not viable. Automated systems always need human backups around, usually on a 1:1 ratio, so serverbots do not make sense right now. Maybe sometime in the future they will, but I doubt it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Oh yeah definitely. Hell, the cashierbots make things actively more difficult and I don't like to use them even when I have like, three things because it takes forever what with the "is item in bag yet" sensor being a finnicky piece of poo poo.

And yet every time you walk by them there's two or three weirdos arduously ringing up a full grocery cart on the drat things. :wtc:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'll never in my life understand middle class Americans frothing rage and pure HATRED for the poor. Like it's not even apathy, it's just absolute venom for these "loving LAZY PIECES OF poo poo WORKING 3 JOBS, WORTHLESS SCUM!". What mental gymnastics do you go through to justify being such an awful person to people whose crime is...not being well off?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'll never in my life understand middle class Americans frothing rage and pure HATRED for the poor. Like it's not even apathy, it's just absolute venom for these "loving LAZY PIECES OF poo poo WORKING 3 JOBS, WORTHLESS SCUM!". What mental gymnastics do you go through to justify being such an awful person to people whose crime is...not being well off?

Because being poor is a moral failing you see.

If you really were a good christian, god would show his love through wealth.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

Reagan invented the term welfare queen in order to deflect the middle class hate to the poor instead of the rich, that coupled with our human urge to feel above someone else it worked quite well.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Well, you see, we live in a just world, so, therefore, if someone is poor and working their hardest but still only just barely surviving...

They must (mayst? really, auto-correct?!) be drug addicts or other degenerates. Yeah, that's it. They just didn't try hard enough in school.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
2024: By Chris Muir

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

The thing I still retain the most from Slaughterhouse 5 is the little vignette about the American-born Nazi who writes a pamphlet talking about how to deal with American PoWs. How America is the only country with no noble peasant tradition, that culturally teaches people to hate each other and themselves for being poor. The point being that even the Nazis were better about poverty than American Society is.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Shugojin posted:

Oh yeah definitely. Hell, the cashierbots make things actively more difficult and I don't like to use them even when I have like, three things because it takes forever what with the "is item in bag yet" sensor being a finnicky piece of poo poo.

Stop buying paper clips individually.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Kopijeger posted:

And what do the commentaries contain?
I think my favorite are ones like this:

quote:

Do you mean American "poor" (with cell phones and DVD players) or South American "poor" (with no roof over their head)?
Because we shouldn't worry till our poor are living in the worst possible conditions. I guess they deserve it.

What's with all the wasted white space that sometimes get around these toons? I've seen it from time to time and have always wondered.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

I don't think that would work in this case, because most people spouting the view that fast food jobs are "for teenagers" believe that that's the way they should be. So even if you can prove that there are people trying to live on fast food jobs, the counter-argument is simple: they shouldn't be, reality be damned.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Taciturn Tactician posted:

"America loves Obama! They love him so much that almost half the country doesn't disapprove of him!"

It may be a joke about Zogby and Rassmussen being biased right wing pollsters. Which they are, granted, but the real numbers aren't exactly stellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Wikipedia provides the wider view.

Currently Obama's average rating is actually worse than Bush's, but that's mostly a false positive caused by the 9/11 spike. His approval at this point is also lower than Bush or Clinton at this point in either of their terms, but his overall curve is less distinctly negative than Bush's was.

• Locked thread