Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

Echo Chamber posted:

I haven't seen Godzilla 98 but I'll give Roland Emmerich more credit. Sometimes his formula works, other times it doesn't. I agree with CD that White House Down was great, despite Mike and Jay's disapproval. They said WHD was stupid because it was a mall security guard's power fantasy, but I'm like "But that's why it works!"

Yeah, this seemed less a study of structure and character than just bitching without really backing anything up. Emmerich certainly has his crowd-pleasing strengths, albeit on poor, lazy display in Godzilla. There's a reason people actually like Independence Day. Even White House Down was fun for aforementioned reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I always found the build up in a lot of Emmerich's films to be pretty good. Sometimes the pay-off is pretty underwhelming, though. I adore Stargate but when you find out the big bad is the guy from The Crying Game, you tend to be underwhelmed. But everything up to that was pretty fantastic.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Echo Chamber posted:

I haven't seen Godzilla 98 but I'll give Roland Emmerich more credit. Sometimes his formula works, other times it doesn't. I agree with CD that White House Down was great, despite Mike and Jay's disapproval. They said WHD was stupid because it was a mall security guard's power fantasy, but I'm like "But that's why it works!"

Olympus Has Fallen is much better though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

BottledBodhisvata posted:

But not intentionally.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I was going to say this too.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
So, Spoony reviews X-Men Days of Future Past. He kept this to under the running time of the movie, so that's a good thing.

He really is trying to justify his style of ranbling and ranting as "analysis". If he organized his thoughts, he would be much more tolerable.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I'll say again that I miss Miles :( He really did work well against Spoony's condescending bullshit.

Oh my god this intro is the most insufferable thing. Spoony would you just please shut the gently caress up for once.

Edit: Watching this I'll be completely fair. This is definitely his best vlog in sometime now. He's not nearly as harsh or condescending (except for the intro) and he generally has decent points to make.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 25, 2014

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Tracula posted:

Spoony would you just please shut the gently caress up for once.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What's everyone's opinion on Video Games Awesome?

I think the show can really succeed or fail on how Fraser reacts to the game. The Stanley Parable episode in particular is almost unwatchable near the end since it becomes Fraser jut :qq: about how annoying it is when people tell him he's playing a game wrong and Stanley Parable just gets him MAAAAAAN because it does't limit you. This is in response to him being absolutely awful at Beyond: Two Souls and chat trying to actually help him. This isn't to say Beyond is a good game, but it's nearly impossible to be bad at the game because it's literally impossible to lose.

The recent Wolfenstein episode is probably the best example of this: They start the game off really well and he's into it, then the game crashes for him (I have no clue why so it might be a valid complaint, never happened to me), then when he restarts he just is absolutely unwilling to be anything other than a huge baby about the game. He complains NONSTOP about the graphics which are pretty standard for PS3, not really on PS4 level but it's pretty clear the game was meant as PS3 game, and the game not having health regen. Oh and he's barely past the prologue before the time travel/skip stuff and he's already calling the story poo poo.

I really think they can be funny and enjoyable when the game is really amazing, but Fraser just seems really unwilling to ever take any advice sometimes.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 25, 2014

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

OldTennisCourt posted:

I think the show can really succeed or fail on how Fraser reacts to the game. The Stanley Parable episode in particular is almost unwatchable near the end since it becomes Fraser jut :qq: about how annoying it is when people tell him he's playing a game wrong and Stanley Parable just gets him MAAAAAAN because it does't limit you. This is in response to him being absolutely awful at Beyond: Two Souls and chat trying to actually help him. This isn't to say Beyond is a good game, but it's nearly impossible to be bad at the game because it's literally impossible to lose.

The recent Wolfenstein episode is probably the best example of this: They start the game off really well and he's into it, then the game crashes for him (I have no clue why so it might be a valid complaint, never happened to me), then when he restarts he just is absolutely unwilling to be anything other than a huge baby about the game. He complains NONSTOP about the graphics which are pretty standard for PS3, not really on PS4 level but it's pretty clear the game was meant as PS3 game, and the game not having health regen. Oh and he's barely past the prologue before the time travel/skip stuff and he's already calling the story poo poo.

I really think they can be funny and enjoyable when the game is really amazing, but Fraser just seems really unwilling to ever take any advice sometimes.

It's a gimmicky show, but I still find myself coming to watch them from time to time. The main guy's reactions range from fair to "4 on the DSP scale," and even the chat say that he is overreacting sometimes. The production values (use of greenscreen and transitions) are a great amount of effort on his part and makes it feel more like they want you to see it as more of a show rather than just a face-cam let's play. He also gets a plus from me because he shits on "survival-horror" games made these days.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

ApeHawk posted:

It's a gimmicky show, but I still find myself coming to watch them from time to time. The main guy's reactions range from fair to "4 on the DSP scale," and even the chat say that he is overreacting sometimes. The production values (use of greenscreen and transitions) are a great amount of effort on his part and makes it feel more like they want you to see it as more of a show rather than just a face-cam let's play. He also gets a plus from me because he shits on "survival-horror" games made these days.

I've watched all of the Phoenix Wright episodes, and it's really a mixture of Fraser's best and worst qualities. Sometimes he gets really into it and is just cracking up, other times he'll whine for 20 minutes about a minor plot hole. He's better in videos with the old Awesome Video Game dudes, like with The Walking Dead playthrough, since he's not quite as willing to bitch and moan at length with them around as he is when it's just Becky.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

surf rock posted:

I've watched all of the Phoenix Wright episodes, and it's really a mixture of Fraser's best and worst qualities. Sometimes he gets really into it and is just cracking up, other times he'll whine for 20 minutes about a minor plot hole. He's better in videos with the old Awesome Video Game dudes, like with The Walking Dead playthrough, since he's not quite as willing to bitch and moan at length with them around as he is when it's just Becky.

Him having a near total meltdown at the end of the Metal Gear Solid 5 episode was weird as hell. He just loving started screaming at the chat and the show just abruptly ended. He was absolutly dead set on MGS 5 being this massive scam and when chat members tried to say it wasn't a full price game he lost his poo poo.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I tried watching one of their videos. It was bad, even by Let's Play standards.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

OldTennisCourt posted:

I really strongly dislike it. From their annoying "[random game] is AWESOME!" title to Fraser coming over as a douche. Combine this with the fact that I really don't have to see the people playing a video game, trying (and most likely succeeding) to establish some cult of personality, I cannot stand it at all.

VVVV Yeah, that was quite good.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 25, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tarquinn posted:

I really strongly dislike it. From their annoying "[random game] is AWESOME!" title to Fraser coming over as a douche. Combine this with the fact that I really don't have to see the people playing a video game, trying (and most likely succeeding) to establish some cult of personality, I cannot stand it at all.

I really liked it when the show was a weird 90's parody of video game culture from back in the day, with a couch and a fake moustache...he just went on and did let's plays forever after that, and the show never happened again. It had really good production value for something on TGWTG's at that era too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I still watch some vga stuff but it's taken a dive since he went from "kinda a dense guy who usually fails in fun ways" to just screaming and raging.

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.

OldTennisCourt posted:

There was an error where the PS4 said the game was downloaded and installed, but there was a secret installation going on that was hidden behind a bunch of menus that stopped him from playing the game. A bunch of other people who bought it at midnight had the same problem. He was going to cancel the show because he sat there for an hour trying to figure out what happened and wait to see if it installed and nothing was happening. He ended up buying it again on PC to try it there.

The quality of VGA really depends upon the game. Whenever they do a multiplayer game or a weird/funny game it turns out well.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

PassTheRemote posted:

So, Spoony reviews X-Men Days of Future Past. He kept this to under the running time of the movie, so that's a good thing.

He really is trying to justify his style of ranbling and ranting as "analysis". If he organized his thoughts, he would be much more tolerable.

I don't usually watch Spoony's stuff anymore but I watched this because there's very little audio reviews/podcasts about DOFP out yet and I want to gauge other people's reactions.

He really lost me with his sanctimonious attitude about (minor spoilers that only apply to the first ten minutes of the movie) "Why the hell are all the mutants fighting the Sentinels in the future instead of just running? They should just RUN! They stand zero chance, if they fight them they die!" and talking about how that's a huge plot hole. I had some issues with the movie but this was pretty clearly explained - Iceman et all are fighting the Sentinels because they're trying to slow them down so that Kitty has enough time to send Bishop into the past to change it so he can make the gang relocate and thus save all of them...Iceman, Sunspot and friends are fully aware that fighting the Sentinels is a suicide mission for all of them but in the end it doesn't matter because it still delays them enough to allow Bishop and Kitty to do their thing and save all of them through alternate timeline stuff. And then his girlfriend correctly points out that these characters are all aware of this and it's a slowdown/distraction mission that will allow all of them to eventually survive, and that running from the Sentinels would clearly be pointless and futile, and he just kind of dismisses it and says "I know that, but it's still dumb that they fight them instead of running!" despite all evidence to the contrary that makes it clear why the characters are doing what they're doing and why its the best option.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
So when does he actually say how he felt about the movie? I got around 30 minutes in before I gave up.

At least he admits he isn't funny anymore.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Having once been a fan for years, I'm now to the point where it has become an effort to watch his videos. Based on history, I can safely say that it is either:

A: Negative (if general consensus is positive).

B: Overwhelmingly negative (if the general consensus was already negative).

I don't think it is possible for him to genuinely enjoy anything anymore.

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

Kyle ends his Shakespeare Month with Anonymous. He didn't like it, to say the very least.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I've finally done another Sonichu review.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

As expected.

For those starving for Chrontendo episodes, Jeremy Parish started a while ago a similar thing but with Gameboy titles. Given how Doctor Sparkle shown up on the first couple episodes of Retronauts, the quality is similar, even with treatises on single titles rather than hour long videos on a bunch of games.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

That was great, and a little :stare: when he get's into what Anti-Straffordans believe.

"Why do they believe William Shakespeare is a fraud? Because they hate your freedoms. I am not joking!" :stare:

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 25, 2014

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Raserys posted:

So when does he actually say how he felt about the movie? I got around 30 minutes in before I gave up.

At least he admits he isn't funny anymore.

he said he liked the movie, also he been on the record that he is not a fan of the x-men comics or movies so it is understandable that he is a bit hard on it.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 25, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

bbf2 posted:

I don't usually watch Spoony's stuff anymore but I watched this because there's very little audio reviews/podcasts about DOFP out yet and I want to gauge other people's reactions.

He really lost me with his sanctimonious attitude about (minor spoilers that only apply to the first ten minutes of the movie) "Why the hell are all the mutants fighting the Sentinels in the future instead of just running? They should just RUN! They stand zero chance, if they fight them they die!" and talking about how that's a huge plot hole. I had some issues with the movie but this was pretty clearly explained - Iceman et all are fighting the Sentinels because they're trying to slow them down so that Kitty has enough time to send Bishop into the past to change it so he can make the gang relocate and thus save all of them...Iceman, Sunspot and friends are fully aware that fighting the Sentinels is a suicide mission for all of them but in the end it doesn't matter because it still delays them enough to allow Bishop and Kitty to do their thing and save all of them through alternate timeline stuff. And then his girlfriend correctly points out that these characters are all aware of this and it's a slowdown/distraction mission that will allow all of them to eventually survive, and that running from the Sentinels would clearly be pointless and futile, and he just kind of dismisses it and says "I know that, but it's still dumb that they fight them instead of running!" despite all evidence to the contrary that makes it clear why the characters are doing what they're doing and why its the best option.

I think every time, without fail, when a nerdy dude complains about "plot holes" what they actually mean is that they weren't paying attention at all.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What's the general consensus on movie aficionado, Adam J, of Your Movie Sucks fame? I really liked his reviews of the first two seasons of the Walking Dead and his Saw and even looking back at some of his older stuff is really funny and detailed. Hell, the After Earth review has so much background on just the production of the movie that's basically the first part of the review and it's great.

I can't watch his Toy Story 3 review though, I'm too scared.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I just want to take a minute to remind everyone that, despite whatever stupid thing Spoony is currently doing, this deserves more focus as a great culmination of a great series of reviews.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
There's a pretty dire error in Kyle's review that I can't overlook. Kurt Vonnegut was abducted by aliens, and I will not hear otherwise.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I just want to take a minute to remind everyone that, despite whatever stupid thing Spoony is currently doing, this deserves more focus as a great culmination of a great series of reviews.

not a big fan of Kyle's work but to be fair this thread seem to go into cycles of complaining about ether spoony, egorapor or josh handly with small bits of good reviews and talk about other reviewers sandwiched in.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I was really hoping he'd do "Ran" by Akira Kurosawa :(

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Benny the Snake posted:

Well there's always next YEAR.

Edited for mistyping

The Vosgian Beast fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 25, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Well there's always next month.

Next year.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Benny the Snake posted:

There's honestly half a dozen movies he could probably do by Kurosawa that are based on Shakespeare.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

BigRed0427 posted:

That was great, and a little :stare: when he get's into what Anti-Straffordans believe.

"Why do they believe William Shakespeare is a fraud? Because they hate your freedoms. I am not joking!" :stare:
Are those the guys who believe a nobleman wrote Shakespeare's plays, as they are too good for a commoner?

Whatever happened to Todd and Nostalgia Chick's reviews of game of thrones? Seems like everyone the least bit interesting are giving up on those.

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Whatever happened to Todd and Nostalgia Chick's reviews of game of thrones? Seems like everyone the least bit interesting are giving up on those.

Lindsay got a temporary freelance job and is too busy to make a recap, so it's pushed back a week.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Tracula posted:

There's honestly half a dozen movies he could probably do by Kurosawa that are based on Shakespeare.
I know he adapted Hamlet, but I was actually hoping for one set in Feudal Japan, since that politics of the era would better match the ones contemporary to Shakespeare's time.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 25, 2014

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

Wow, Jillian was a nervous wreck during the Midnight Screening for Days of Future Past. I didn't know Cinema Snob commenters were such dicks.

Skunny Wundy fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 25, 2014

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Skunny Wundy posted:

Wow, Jillian was a nervous wreck during the Midnight Screening for Days of Future Past. I didn't know Cinema Snob commenters were such dicks.

his comments are more funny bad then anything, like most of them yelling at josh to fix links on brad's site to the whole man of steel insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Skunny Wundy posted:

Yeah the Snob has the worst fans.

• Locked thread