Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Graceful Flop
Feb 1, 2014

Dive in.
Really enjoyed flying last night. Thanks to everyone, especially Vahakyla, for putting up with my noobishness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Leo Showers posted:

So tomorrow day I am going to begin work on my masterpiece, a coop mission designed with goons in mind.

I envisage a large battle where guys establish air superiority and conduct SEAD while strike planes/helicopters clear ares for friendly ground forces. This will involve JTACS, as well as a couple of A-10C's running AFAC for attack runs. It'll be freeform so no heavy scripting or anything, but triggers and poo poo to spawn planes/victory conditions.

Also while I'll chuck in a few F-15Cs the BLUE fighters will mostly comprise of Su-27s, because they can engage air and ground fairly well so they won't neccessarily have to change planes when there is no air game.

It's also going to be in the dead of the night, thus the AFAC A-10s. It'll be up to the A-10s (and JTACS) to designate targets and drop illumination flares and such to assist the other planes. I could potentially remove it but what I want is a teamwork thing as opposed to Mr Ace winning the whole game.

Thoughts?

Please don't have it in the middle of the night. FC3 planes don't have night vision and it's not fun at all to fly around completely blind.

Edit: also in interest of frame rates, maybe have a few well protected ground targets instead of a 100 trucks on a road? And TBH, if we're flying CAS, there's no real need to put in a whole lot of friendly ground units, they just eat up frame rates.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 25, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
flankers are fun :350:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr8nxR5XizY&hd=1

:lol: @ my desk while playing this internet videogame:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Someone asked me in Mumble about the MFD mod.
I can't really take a screenshot to show it off, but here is a small clip from a stream.
I overlapped the stream to compress space, in real life the right side screens just take the other monitor completely.

The MFD allows basic waypoint functionality, setting custom mark points, location info in LL and MGRS and some other engine statistics and poo poo.

I like it since it helps with the FC3 aircraft and their lack of usable MFDs.
There is another project which would also create a datalink for FC3 craft, having one player run his MFD as host and letting others connect to it with their MFDs by ip, then showing all planes in the datalink and providing their info.

http://www.twitch.tv/kalleerikvahakyla/b/531860326/

Hovermoose
Jul 27, 2010

Not a video, since I did not have the presence of mind to turn on any recording before taking the Fulcrum out for a spin for the first time, but I'd say this image sums up the whole experience pretty well

Broken off landing gear, fire in both engines - It went well all things considered.

e: Anyone here ever experience the engines on the Ka-50 just sort of giving up? It usually happens after 20-30 minutes of flying and the only error message displayed is the EKRAN showing 'LEFT TRANSM OIL PRES'
It also got a hell of a timing, usually happening right after ingress with the chopper slowly and unceremoniously drifting into the ground despite all efforts to keep it airborne :confused:

Hovermoose fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 26, 2014

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Hovermoose posted:

Not a video, since I did not have the presence of mind to turn on any recording before taking the Fulcrum out for a spin for the first time, but I'd say this image sums up the whole experience pretty well

Broken off landing gear, fire in both engines - It went well all things considered.

e: Anyone here ever experience the engines on the Ka-50 just sort of giving up? It usually happens after 20-30 minutes of flying and the only error message displayed is the EKRAN showing 'LEFT TRANSM OIL PRES'
It also got a hell of a timing, usually happening right after ingress with the chopper slowly and unceremoniously drifting into the ground despite all efforts to keep it airborne :confused:

I had that happen to me during the Georgian Pirate mission. 15 minutes into the flight my left engine decided it had enough and shut down. I never even got to shoot anything.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

So I bought A-10C today, and was flying around with Burno, LeoShowers and Vaha.

Me and Vaha in formation

I went for a gun run, against a bunch of Shilkas. This is shortly after I put my engine fire out.

Managed to limp home to the base after jettisoning the rest of my weapons. Turns out they shot off one of my tires, so I swung left into the grass when I landed. This was also my first time landing the A-10, as I didn't survive any other times.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rudder trim is a thing for a reason. :v:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Jesus gently caress I'm so loving confused.

I got airborne in the Su-25 using Thief's guide, and wanted to try summat flying poo poo, but my plane started yelling at me through loud and scary beeps every time I touched the joystick. :ohdear:

Just tell me what you want, plane, I don't understand your strange beep language. :saddowns:

Hovermoose
Jul 27, 2010

Geisladisk posted:

Jesus gently caress I'm so loving confused.

I got airborne in the Su-25 using Thief's guide, and wanted to try summat flying poo poo, but my plane started yelling at me through loud and scary beeps every time I touched the joystick. :ohdear:

Just tell me what you want, plane, I don't understand your strange beep language. :saddowns:

It could be your angle of attack closing on the limit that the plane can handle. Keep an eye on the this gauge, specifically the needle on the left:

deck
Jul 13, 2006

And remember that the Su-25 handles like a slightly-more-nimble 737 than a fighter.

Edit:

deck fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 26, 2014

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
I just had an emergency landing situation in the P-51D. I clipped that bridge near Batumi, lost the prop, and almost landed back on 31. Doing dumb stuff makes this game awesome.
http://www.twitch.tv/2jet/c/4334707

deck
Jul 13, 2006

Hey man, can I get a lift?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Can someone setup a MP server and we'll all hop on airgoons mumble? Freedom Flight Memorial Day :patriot: or some such, TF-51Ds and A-10Cs mainly(?)

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

deck posted:

Hey man, can I get a lift?

haha, can actually pick those guys up in helicopters? it would be a nice consolation to flying something that is pretty much going to get wrecked in any combat situation.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Can someone setup a MP server and we'll all hop on airgoons mumble? Freedom Flight Memorial Day :patriot: or some such, TF-51Ds and A-10Cs mainly(?)

FINE

I am hosting Goon TF51 flights from now on. Dedicated server firing up. No password, so you can fly with pubbies.
I will be on a bit later.

Air Start mustangs, taxiway start mustangs.
All of them have engine running.

Just gather in CTS Mumble. I will also hop in and host a figher mission toon, F15C or Su27, depending on popular vote.

CTS Mumble info in OP:

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 27, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is there a way to make the Su-27 cockpit English like the full sim Russian planes or do I have to learn to think in Russian like Clint Eastwood?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is there a way to make the Su-27 cockpit English like the full sim Russian planes or do I have to learn to think in Russian like Clint Eastwood?

A quick google found this:

Su-27 English Cockpit

and

KA-50 English Cockpit

Add to OP?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Just flew with goons, followed directions like a puppy, blew up two SAMs with my SU-25T and then got blasted by a missile I didn't see, setting me on fire until a second one blew me apart like a fingat. Fun times.

I'm doing the Ka-50 interactive tutorials now but unfortunately they are balls compared to the SU-25T's.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thanks for hosting another good night of DCS, that's a great mission

I am going to have to figure out how to use the targeting system again, doing suicide runs in to a wall of SAM emplacements by the beach wasn't working out so hot for me. I still managed to take out quite a few enemies with my giant flying chaingun

Couple of screenshots (finally figured out that ctrl+F12 will take screenshots when TrackIR is in use)

Shortly after the KA-50 blew up the "suicide bomber" coming across the bridge

Couple of Goons at the airfield, waiting for the plane to self-ready

Skirting around the SAM emplacements, system hasn't fully booted up yet, but my gun and my engines work, and that's all that really matters

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 27, 2014

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Just figured this out but if you have an engine fire in the T-frog or any FC3 plane, you can shut down the bad engine by pressing CTRL-END for right or ALT-END for left engine, and that may extinguish the flames, allowing you to limp home on one engine. If you don't extinguish said flames you will spontaneously explode after a while. Ask me how I know.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I like the Russian radar system's top-down navigation screen and map of airfields out to 512km away from you but separating target information between blocks on the HUD and the scan area display on the radar screen is pretty confusing compared to the F-15's radar.

Doesn't the Frogfoot have fire extinguishers? I haven't gotten around to flying it yet, I'm having too much fun with the Flanker.

Are the Ka-50 tutorials the ones with the Russian talking into a tin can?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I'm sure it does in real life but there's no separate command to activate them in game.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Its a love tale between an A-10C and SU-27

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Burno posted:

Its a love tale between an A-10C and SU-27

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Is there any way to make the F-15C a bit easier to taxi on the ground? It seems to make huge, wide turns and it's really hard to keep on path.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Mentioned in OP.

Go to controls, select F15c.
Under "systems", bind "nose wheel steering maneuvering range".

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Speaking of F-15s, today I managed to successfully drift this plane and even do a 360 while landing:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Thief posted:

Speaking of F-15s, today I managed to successfully drift this plane and even do a 360 while landing:

The Americans received greatly exaggerated reports of the MiG-25's drifting capabilities in the late 60s, and so sick drift and cornering capabilities became one of the top priorities of the F-15 program.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

I like the Russian radar system's top-down navigation screen and map of airfields out to 512km away from you but separating target information between blocks on the HUD and the scan area display on the radar screen is pretty confusing compared to the F-15's radar.

Doesn't the Frogfoot have fire extinguishers? I haven't gotten around to flying it yet, I'm having too much fun with the Flanker.

Are the Ka-50 tutorials the ones with the Russian talking into a tin can?

The Ka-50 has interactive mission tutorials (see the bottom two categories on the Training menu; they're called "Interactive" or something) but they have too much "do this and now do this and now do this" with less explanation of why do you things, compared to the SU-25 interactive missions. I swear at one point the Ka-50 training had me turn WPT on and off like 5 steps in a row without explaining why I was turning it on and off. Maybe doing it a few times would would help me figure it out from context, or maybe I just missed something, but after doing that mission, I didn't feel like I understood what I was doing as well as I did after the SU-25T navigation stuff.

But they are still better than those videos featuring tin can rear end in a top hat and the worst video quality since Rob Schneider's A Fork In The Tale.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Shine posted:

But they are still better than those videos featuring tin can rear end in a top hat and the worst video quality since Rob Schneider's A Fork In The Tale.

I agree, I have no idea why they thought those were a good idea.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I'll get you next time :argh:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
All that heat from the burning av gas made that a slow cooker for tanker stew.

That or they'll have cancer from the fumes.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I guess I win in 20 years then :smug:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The Ka-50 trainer guy needs to sloooowwww down and enunciate. Half the time he sounds like he's mumbling with bread in his mouth. I'm getting the hang of choppering again, but ugh, this guy.

Bitching bitching bitching.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Stupid question time: In the Su25 air to air mode how can you get the target displayed on the hud so you aren't pixel hunting?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Turn on labels?

It doesn't have an air radar so it wouldn't have such functionality.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Oh thanks, I guess I've been spoiled.

I'm not having a good time converting to the 'simplistic' Su-25.

I should learn the A10 since I own it, but one thing at a time.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Hide your wives, invite your boyfriends!
We are playing DCS tomorrow.

WHAT: DCS Coop Mission
WHEN: 28th May, Wednesday, Time 2100 EST, 1800 PST
WHERE: Camping the Stairs Mumble, information in OP
WITH: Sweaty goons but you can invite your non-goon friends, too.

Recommended skill level: none, but try not to grab an A10C and ask questions from the get go. If you plan to fly the A10C, you should atleast know how to get off the ground, how to find the next steerpoint and how to arm the gun.

We are going to use a slightly modified Operation Blindsided map with added spawns.

Planes that are available:

We are Russians in this mission. So red stars for everyone.
There will be plenty of Su25T spawns.
CAP is also needed, otherwise the enemy fighters will wreck our asses.

CAS:

Ka50
SU25T
A10C

CAP:
SU27

We need one player to act as somekind of leader. You can fly a plane and poo poo, and nothing spergy. General "beating the drum to the right direction" guidance needed. Make sure there are at leat some CAP and SEAD going on all the time, basically and not every jerking each other off on a taxiway.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Wooper posted:

Turn on labels?

DCS supports customizable labels via the DCSWorld/Config/View/Labels.lua file. I have mine set to give me a small grey dot on aircraft within visual range (<15 km), without displaying the name, range, or side information. It's a good compromise to increase visibility given the limitations of playing on a computer monitor, while also being more realistic and less ugly than the default labels. I find it's good practice for when you're playing online on no-labels servers.

code:
AirFormat = {}
AirFormat[100] = ""
AirFormat[1000] = ""
AirFormat[15000] = "'"
AirFormat[30000] = ""

GroundFormat = {}
GroundFormat[1000] = ""
GroundFormat[5000] = ""
GroundFormat[20000] = ""

NavyFormat = {}
NavyFormat[10000] = ""