Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Not in a theater. Maybe a straight-to-DVD anthology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Pull a Marvel and do individual movies for every character, and then every couple of years do an ensemble one.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Seriously though, the only thing that makes races like the Turians and Krogan believable is that all the humans are also CG. A movie with live actors would be terrible.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

So long as Jack got a decent film, I'd be happy with the Marvel approach.

Course, we'd never get a decent Jack film because Hollywood, but I can dream, can't I?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

maybe an Animatrix/Halo: Legends kind of deal.

Stop letting Mac Walters write everything and open it up to a variety of people, see what they come up with.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

PupsOfWar posted:

maybe an Animatrix/Halo: Legends kind of deal.

Stop letting Mac Walters write everything and open it up to a variety of people, see what they come up with.

Yeah, that's probably the only feasible way to do it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

PupsOfWar posted:

I think this person had the right idea:

You could adapt pretty much any squadmate's storyline into a solid stand-alone movie.

Lot of gold in things like ME2 loyalty missions, waiting to be mined.

Or maybe do Liara's whole Shadow Broker arc, if you want a ton of acclaim and accolades

Or Garrus's Archangel adventures, if you want a kickin' rad action flick that could potentially make a zillion dollars.

Just shift things around a bit so the whole Reaper thing doesn't need to be touched upon so much, and you're good. Problem would be getting something that didn't star Shepard greenlit. Particularly anything with alien main characters.

Miranda might be the best bet. Just cast a hot actress, and you can market it in the "sexy woman wears tight clothes, kicks people" vein of Resident Evil or Tomb Raider. Wouldn't need many aliens or space- operatics in general: you could just approach it as a techno thriller/family drama. Maybe something like Aeon Flux could have been.

Folding Jacob's ME2 content together with the plot from the iphone game (replacing the fetch-quest parts of the latter with the former) might work if it weren't for, you know, Hollywood's approach to black people

See, this is why a Mass Effect movie won't work. The games are effectively multiple movie plots jammed together. An homage to Sci-Fi as a whole.

There's no way to cram all that into two and a half hours without gutting it into boring as hell "Generic Action Movie #642" or making a confusing mess that can't spare more than two minutes to each plot point.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Any film is inevitably going to focus on the overarching story which is absolutely the most boring part of Mass Effect. It will be a huge stinker imo.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

PupsOfWar posted:

I think this person had the right idea:

What's up with these images? Where did they come from?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

They're official art. I have the ME3 calendar that they're from.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

fan-artist edited some shots into posters.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Magil of Shadow posted:

So long as Jack got a decent film, I'd be happy with the Marvel approach.

Course, we'd never get a decent Jack film because Hollywood, but I can dream, can't I?

It should just be her and Jacob. That would sure be entertaining.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

My Q-Face posted:

Yeah, this. I don't know why man-Shep is the default "canon" version, I'm really struggling to get through my Male-shep trilogy playthrough. There are just so many reasons why Fem-shep works better.
And the cycle begins anew :getin:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
The only movie I want is FemShep and Garrus as buddy cops in Hawaiian shirts riding a space speedboat. :allears:

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Listen to the VAs describe Shepard.

Short version, Femshep is a freestanding character while Manshep is an avatar of the player.

What? How do the voice actors make this distinction?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

rypakal posted:

It's true, all in all. If you're the sort of person who jams the stick to the upper right or lower right while frantically tapping A, then Hale's voice acting is better as she saw Paragon and Renegade Shepards as separate characters. Meer, however, saw the Paragon/Renegade divide as something Shepard might say. Sure, he might be a bit boring by comparison but Hale's Shepard comes off very strangely if you're the sort to mix and match your approaches.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Milky Moor posted:

It's true, all in all. If you're the sort of person who jams the stick to the upper right or lower right while frantically tapping A, then Hale's voice acting is better as she saw Paragon and Renegade Shepards as separate characters. Meer, however, saw the Paragon/Renegade divide as something Shepard might say. Sure, he might be a bit boring by comparison but Hale's Shepard comes off very strangely if you're the sort to mix and match your approaches.

Exactly, which is the reason why I simply don't understand people that say that FemShep is unquestionably better than MaleShep. I am mixing answers every playthrough, no matter if I plan to end up with a Paragon or Renegad Shep, which made me appreciate Meer quite a bit.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Meer's earlier performance suffers really badly, because he completely misunderstood the character and the game. His Shepard isn't broad, it's flat and completely unengaging. Once he started having fun with it, and leaning into the extremes, his performance improved ten fold.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Milky Moor posted:

Huh? I always played a both ways Shepard and there was nothing weird about her voice acting. A person can be both compassionate and angry.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'd say that Meer took a while, but he did get a wider range of emotions with his Paragon/Renegade responses. Admittedly, my memory is hazy, but the example my mind keeps coming back to is right after the introduction to Rahnok, where you get the option for a Renegade Interrupt to punch one of the Admirals for opening fire while Shepard & co. were still around. With him, he doesn't come off as "goddammit I'm going to wear your skin as a poncho when I'm through with you", but more "what the gently caress is wrong with you?"

I don't mean to diss Hale, but from my (again, hazy) memory, she tended to play up the former mindset/tone a lot more.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Meer's better during comedic scenes, that's my only strong opinion. Other than that, I'm cool with both of them.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Mass Effect movie will just have both, they'll be siblings, and Saren will be their father.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So if I want to play the whole Mass Effect trilogy with all the DLC in the future on my new super awesome PC I have to buy them on Origin right? Then get the DLC off the Bioware site that I remember people griping about a couple years ago since I can't see it anywhere on Origin? Why can't they just put it all on Steam like big boys.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Origin sells the major ME2 dlcs, I remember. Maybe not some of the smaller ones, but I remember buying Overlord, LotSB, and Arrivlal.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

rypakal posted:

Milky Moor posted:

Sort of. When Hale describes Shep she describes as driven, tired, angry with where she is (ME2), etc. She describes her as a character beyond the choices you make in the game. The choices are simply options that FemShep as a character is capable of making.

Meer describes Shep as "good or evil," "heroic or cruel," etc. He describes him as an avatar who is defined by the choices of the player.

This is why when you see VA arguments it usually comes down to Hale fans disliking how wooden and boring Meer sounds (he doesn't have enough of a personality) and Meer fans disliking how tired and bitchy Hale sounds (she has too much of a personality).

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I know I certainly wouldn't enjoy playing as an avatar who is defined by the choices of the player in a role playing game.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
femshep sucks, go manshep

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Can manshep awkwardly romance Garrus as you Bonny and Clyde it throughout the galaxy? Femshep wins.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Tali has enough awkward for maleshep, femshep and legion. We got that covered. :thumbsup:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If I'm going to have voice acting in my RPGs, I want it to be consistently terrible, so that I can better relate to my character

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The problem with femshep is that the game makes no sense with her as the lead.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Waltzing Along posted:

The problem with femshep is that the game makes no sense with her as the lead.

You know, I might just be overthinking this, but it would probably be a good idea for you to clarify what you mean by this statement.

Just so we can all understand where you're coming from.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Not to interrupt the voice acting chat (I prefer MaleShep personally) but I had a question about ME3's Reputation, specifically as it relates to Priority: Rannoch. Is it possible to pick the final Intimidate speech option if I've been playing mostly as a Paragon? I basically understand everything else as it relates to that speech check, but I don't know if your Renegade bar has anything to do with it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Psycho Mantits posted:

Not to interrupt the voice acting chat (I prefer MaleShep personally) but I had a question about ME3's Reputation, specifically as it relates to Priority: Rannoch. Is it possible to pick the final Intimidate speech option if I've been playing mostly as a Paragon? I basically understand everything else as it relates to that speech check, but I don't know if your Renegade bar has anything to do with it.

So long as you meet all the criteria to be able to have that option at all, I think you should be able to yeah. Mass Effect 3's reputation system doesn't choose your persuade options based on how much paragon or renegade you have, but how much total. So both options are pretty much always open. At least I think that's it?

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

So long as you meet all the criteria to be able to have that option at all, I think you should be able to yeah. Mass Effect 3's reputation system doesn't choose your persuade options based on how much paragon or renegade you have, but how much total. So both options are pretty much always open. At least I think that's it?

I figured that was the case. But it's misleading, because if only total Reputation matters for speech checks, why even bother having two separate Paragon and Renegade bars if they don't actually do anything?

Anyway, thanks.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I figured that it's like mana in Magic, with your "reputation" being colorless and your renegade / paragon being, well, not. Paragon / renegade score matters but players who don't stick to one or the other are punished to a lesser degree. The bigger moments will still require you to have a decent amount of one score or another.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Psycho Mantits posted:

I figured that was the case. But it's misleading, because if only total Reputation matters for speech checks, why even bother having two separate Paragon and Renegade bars if they don't actually do anything?

Anyway, thanks.
I think it's just an RP thing. Paragon/Renegade was a part of the previous games, so they knew some players would like to continue seeing them for RP purposes even if they no longer had an impact on locked/unlocked dialogue.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

ME3 has Paragon, Renegade, and Reputation (which is separate and acts as a multiplier to both Paragon and Renegade.) If you've been rudely interrupting people at the Citadel to give them their sidequest poo poo, then you should be good. I would save beforehand, and use the Gibbed editor (which works on both PC and Xbox saves) in case you don't have enough points.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Lycus posted:

I think it's just an RP thing. Paragon/Renegade was a part of the previous games
RP

Role Play

Renegade/Paragon

Cannot Unsee :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

monster on a stick posted:

ME3 has Paragon, Renegade, and Reputation (which is separate and acts as a multiplier to both Paragon and Renegade.) If you've been rudely interrupting people at the Citadel to give them their sidequest poo poo, then you should be good. I would save beforehand, and use the Gibbed editor (which works on both PC and Xbox saves) in case you don't have enough points.

Speaking of that, what's the easiest way to get a 360 ME2 save edited for minerals? Same process? It's been a long time since I looked that up.

• Locked thread