Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Flameingblack posted:

Ibushi is one of the most misleading wrestlers. He looks like a skinny, flippy guy (Which he is) but he's also strong enough to lift up guys that are probably 100 pounds heavier than him for Last Rider powerbombs, and he can actually "shoot fight" just as good as anyone who isn't KENTA or Shibata. Ibushi's match against Daisuke Sekimoto is still one of my favorite matches of all time.

I'm glad Ibushi's able to glow in New Japan, he definitely worked hard and deserves it.

Yea, I loved the story of that match of "Dear lord, Ibushi just won't die"

And when he did the power bomb in Ishii, I did not expect that. Or him to win an elbow off against Ishii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

Ibushi is one of the most misleading wrestlers. He looks like a skinny, flippy guy (Which he is) but he's also strong enough to lift up guys that are probably 100 pounds heavier than him for Last Rider powerbombs, and he can actually "shoot fight" just as good as anyone who isn't KENTA or Shibata. Ibushi's match against Daisuke Sekimoto is still one of my favorite matches of all time.

I'm glad Ibushi's able to glow in New Japan, he definitely worked hard and deserves it.

I hope he signs full time with NJPW or figures out someway of better splitting up his time, he already dropped out of the BOTSJ due to exhaustion, I doubt it's gonna get much better.

That Ishii match was amazinggg though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

Bullet Club should have all the belts

I'd be cool with Karl Anderson as IC champ, rather than Fale.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.
Can someone explain Takashi Iizuka to me?

I just got into NJPW, and his existence baffles me. He seems really out of place to me for some reason, can't put my finger on why.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Happy Happyist posted:

I just got into NJPW, and his existence baffles me. He seems really out of place to me for some reason, can't put my finger on why.

He's been with the company for 27 years, longer than anyone else on the main roster except for Liger.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Happy Happyist posted:

He was a classic babyface until he played a turncoat, being the catalyst from the general destruction of Great Bash Heel & the creation CHAOS along with Yano and Nakamura in 2008. He quickly turned into a rampaging mad man with a metal glove that he tries to strike people with. And he's being loving with the announcer for the last few years, first being a general attack to now just greatly embarrassing Nogami with spray paint drawings being done on his chest.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He broke the announcer's heart last night :smith:

In all seriousness that was a genuinely great moment, the commentary sounded excellent even though I couldn't understand a word of it, and the crowd was aghast at the betrayal.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.
Oh, THAT'S the guy who messes with the announcer. Thanks for all the details guys.

I need to watch more!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If you watched Ishii/Ibushi you should watch Ibushi/Sekimoto from DDT which is the same style, with Ibushi switching modes from flippy guy after he gets his spots in to being really really angry and straight up shoot fighting against Sekimoto who looks like he's built like a loving tank.

I liked Ibushi/Ishii but I loved this match even more:

Sekimoto vs Ibushi Pt 1
Sekimoto vs Ibushi pt 2

(I think Masta Takanashi vs Sekimoto was better because oh my god what an underdog story, do yourself a favor and look that up too!)

Also questions: What are the top Shibata matches from the past couple years? I've always liked the KENTA/Shibata style of striking

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Flameingblack posted:

Also questions: What are the top Shibata matches from the past couple years? I've always liked the KENTA/Shibata style of striking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MFsxRWFJOI

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

He broke the announcer's heart last night :smith:

In all seriousness that was a genuinely great moment, the commentary sounded excellent even though I couldn't understand a word of it, and the crowd was aghast at the betrayal.

It was basically that. "What's he doing?! Is he...he's betrayed them! He's betrayed them! He's betrayed Chaos!!" It was great emotionally and proof that the commentators know how to hit the high notes really well.

On Commentary in NJPW: Somebody asked last night in the live thread about New Japan's commentary. I don't understand 100 percent of it (either don't know the words, don't know the context or miss it while watching action), but I get a lot and it is pretty awesome compared with WWE. First: The announcers know the names of even simple moves, and almost all the time they're called correctly. Secondly: there's a play-by-play and a color man, and they keep those separate and they very rarely step on each others' toes. It's much more sports-like, too, in that they aren't bickering characters like in WWE.

It all sounds wonderful and flowery, and it kind of is. Color calls moves and talks strategy, play-by-play calls everything well and builds the energy and enthusiasm incredibly well, and they aren't bickering or schilling stuff except for during the intermission breaks. It's a refreshing break from WWE.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
Just got around to watching the Yokohama show.

Iizuka. :(

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

partial Dominion 6.21 card, match order not final so don't get worked up about it

quote:

Dominion 6.21 in Osaka BODY MAKER Colosseum (June 21st)

• Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Bad Luck Fale - IWGP INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • Bullet Club ("Machine Gun" Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi & Togi Makabe - IWGP TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • Kota Ibushi (c) vs. BOSJ XXI Winner - IWGP JR. HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • TenCozy (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) (c) vs. K.E.S. (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith, Jr.) - NWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii) vs. Bullet Club (AJ Styles & Yujiro Takahashi)
How to watch: iPPV on USTREAM ($25)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Flameingblack posted:

with Ibushi switching modes from flippy guy after he gets his spots in to being really really angry and straight up shoot fighting against Sekimoto who looks like he's built like a loving tank.
Yeah, this was my favorite Ibushi match for four years, I guess it's tied with the Ishii match now. It's a shame that he doesn't enter Pissed Off Ibushi mode more, even during last year's G1 he mostly wrestled like a good-natured junior heavyweight who just wants to get his poo poo in.

I hope he'll start embracing his nasty side more once his athleticism starts leaving him in a few years. He has all the tools to be a Tanahashi style heavyweight player with a handful of high-flying spots in his offense, but he also has way better strikes than him.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 26, 2014

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Dominion card looks solid since Nakamura has already shown he can get a good match out of Fale. If anything, what's stale for me is the NWA tag title scene with TenCozy and KES.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

2012 and even start of 2013 TenCozy vs. K.E.S. was a good match but Tenzan & Kojima are so fuckin beat up now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

masato tatanka posted:

CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii) vs. Bullet Club (AJ Styles & Yujiro Takahashi)

This sounds pretty loving great to me.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

masato tatanka posted:

partial Dominion 6.21 card, match order not final so don't get worked up about it

solid card

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Looks like a solid card if you look past Bad Luck Fale main eventing a PPV. Last match was good though. Not sure what I think of them doing much less title matches than last year.

Okada/Ishiii vs. Anderson/Yujiro should own. And speaking of Yujiro:

quote:

Karl Anderson ‏@Machinegunka 11h

Last night a reporter asked Yujiro something in Japanese. Yujiro said "I don't understand Japanese" The reporters sell almost broke me..

No I'm serious. Yujiro said he didn't understand Japanese and the reporters sell with these huge bug eyes almost broke me. Seriously.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 26, 2014

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Thauros posted:

Looks like a solid card if you look past Bad Luck Fale main eventing a PPV. Last match was good though. Not sure what I think of them doing much less title matches than last year.

They'll probably add an actual main event.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ChampRamp posted:

They'll probably add an actual main event.

They can't do a IWGP title match since AJ's booked for a tag match (which admittedly should be great).

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Thauros posted:

They can't do a IWGP title match since AJ's booked for a tag match (which admittedly should be great).

I didn't see that last match. I'm real dumb.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShneN8JpnPM
I love you NJPW :allears:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Is this the equivalent of a WWEshop.com commercial? I rank it somewhere around 1-800-FELLA if so.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Blasmeister posted:

Is this the equivalent of a WWEshop.com commercial? I rank it somewhere around 1-800-FELLA if so.

It's something they play before streaming events at theaters.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I laughed way too much at Nagata trying to squeeze himself into that tiny seat.

Also those giant blue foam Nagata hands are genius.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dominion looks good but I don't know if it looks $25 good yet

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
AJ might be my wrestler of the year if he keeps this up. Between his NJPW and ROH matches he's pretty consistently kicking rear end.

It's too bad Daniel Bryan got saddled with a Kane feud & injured, but that's for another thread. Right now AJ is the man, to me.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

AJ might be my wrestler of the year if he keeps this up. Between his NJPW and ROH matches he's pretty consistently kicking rear end.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

AJ Styles is just too sweet :colbert:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Too sweet me, Manflurry

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

too sweet me triplexpac

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

too sweet.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

AJ Styles is just too sweet :colbert:

I felt like a robot confounded with a logical paradox for a moment. AJ hasn't been dogging it, but man, 2 main events in New Japan - 1 where he won the belt, the other where he defended it - and neither was an all-time classic. Kinda disappointing, in my opinion.

Now too sweet me.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

He's had like three MOTYC with Elgin and Elgin/Okada too though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

epitasis posted:

He's had like three MOTYC with Elgin and Elgin/Okada too though.

Yeah, I'm counting his body of work in ROH as well.

Anyway I'm just saying if he continues on his current trajectory and Daniel Bryan continues his streak of lovely booking and bad luck, AJ will be in a very good spot. I wouldn't consider guys like The Shield for "Wrestler of the Year" since they're a unit, so AJ would be among the top contenders to me.

Amazing what getting out of TNA will do for a guy.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
AJ Styles is wrestler of the year for too sweeting a camera in the middle of a match.

Too sweet me PSP.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If an NJPW guy is WOTY, it's Ishii or Ibushi.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ishii's definitely Most Outstanding Wrestler right now, but it's tough to vote for an upper midcarder as WOTY. I don't know who I'd give it to right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

We'll see who's truly better when Styles and Yujiro face off against Ishii and Okada at Dominion!! I hope Yujiro goes Full Gaijin and drops gratuitous f-bombs.

• Locked thread