Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Human Heater already exists. It's a crowd control and totally-not-torture-no-way device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Johnny Drama would like a word with you.

I said "nearly"! But that really belonged to Ari.

Drama was good up to Season 5-6.

Honestly, with Entourage and Weeds I remember watching the entire series, but my mind has literally blocked all memory of it. I remember more from Nip/Tuck than either of them and I haven't seen that show in years.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TheBlackVegetable posted:

I might be dumb, but I thought the joke was that the heater is perfectly safe and the judges ignorance and panic was about expert know-it-alls being just as superstitious as the average person about things they dont understand (while being trusted by the public to make informed decisions on those things)

As well as having your knowledge of your subject of expertise disparaged and ignored by people who dont know how ignorant they are

I kind of thought that too; that someone investing that much effort into developing such a product would have done their homework on the safety front in order to have made it at least as far as they did, only to be immediately dismissed by someone who probably has zero qualifications in the relevant subjects and who isn't even willing to listen to your awkward genius CEO present the reams of data from his years of PhD research and industry testing that have proven the technique safe.

Maybe this is the kind of joke that is really a personality test for the listener.

withak fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 20, 2014

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

withak posted:

I kind of thought that too; that someone investing that much effort into developing such a product would have done their homework on the safety front in order to have made it at least as far as they did, only to be immediately dismissed by someone who probably has zero qualifications in the relevant subjects and who isn't even willing to listen to your awkward genius CEO present the reams of data from his years of PhD research and industry testing that have proven the technique safe.

Maybe this is the kind of joke that is really a personality test for the listener.
My interpretation was that the judges are dumb for assuming the thing was dangerous not for any rational reasons, but due to vague, ignorant folk physics; and that the presenter was dumb for not understanding that this is how every normal human being ever would react.
The judges are too human and not scientific enough, the presenter was too scientific and not human enough.

So yes, it's a joke that works differently for all sorts of people, you can laugh at the presenter for being dumb, or you can laugh at the judges for being a completely different kind of dumb.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Shooting people with microwaves to keep them warm as a consumer-level technology is an insane solution to a comparatively simple problem. You can't just shoot microwaves at poo poo, and leave that up to people to make sure it doesn't kill anyone. Fires will be started, weird reactions with metal or whatever will happen and people would burn and die. The point was that the presenter was absurdly naive to think that this is a technology that could work as a common heating solution. Them shutting him down without even bothering to hear what he had to say was for comic effect, it wasn't a comic meta-commentary that judges at tech competitions are small-minded (?), they were surrogates for the real world going "what the gently caress are you doing, are you kidding me. did you seriously just say you were shooting microwaves at people, and you want to use this to heat the world?"

You weren't supposed to take his reassurances that he had been testing it on his workers/interns as actual reassurance.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 21, 2014

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Periodiko posted:

Shooting people with microwaves to keep them warm as a consumer-level technology is an insane solution to a comparatively simple problem. You can't just shoot microwaves at poo poo, and leave that up to people to make sure it doesn't kill anyone. Fires will be started, weird reactions with metal or whatever will happen and people would burn and die. The point was that the presenter was absurdly naive to think that this is a technology that could work as a common heating solution. Them shutting him down without even bothering to hear what he had to say was for comic effect, it wasn't a comic meta-commentary that judges at tech competitions are small-minded (?), they were surrogates for the real world going "what the gently caress are you doing, are you kidding me. did you seriously just say you were shooting microwaves at people, and you want to use this to heat the world?"

You weren't supposed to take his reassurances that he had been testing it on his workers/interns as actual reassurance.

But they're making a world a better place by being SoLoMo!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TheBlackVegetable posted:

I might be dumb, but I thought the joke was that the heater is perfectly safe and the judges ignorance and panic was about expert know-it-alls being just as superstitious as the average person about things they dont understand (while being trusted by the public to make informed decisions on those things)

As well as having your knowledge of your subject of expertise disparaged and ignored by people who dont know how ignorant they are

Agree completely, I'm sure if I was presenting that I'd have uttered "what the gently caress do you know?" If I was confident in my science.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I think anytime during this show you have to decide whether the butt of a joke is some startup people or some other people, choose the startup people.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

CaptainHollywood posted:

As nonsensical as it was, it worked for me too. I also liked how the show wrote in the line, "Only 2% of the programming world is women" in order to brush off why women are (and will continue to be) underrepresented in the show.
The party was crazy. Dude, there must have been, like, 12 girls there.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I loved that they honed in on the ridiculous notion that startups are making the world a better place. It is the exception, not the rule, certainly, but a ton of real life software developers and entrepreneurs wanna carry the holier-than-thou notion that they are truly helping people in a meaningful, substantive way.

Makes all the technical inaccuracies totally worth it because they totally and consistently nail the culture.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

withak posted:

I don't think it was a joke, or if it was I don't think it was a funny one. I thought it was just setting up the tone for the PiedPiper presentation scene by showing us that the judges are not afraid to publicly ridicule a presenter if they think (rightly or wrongly) that their idea is stupid.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rexides posted:

I don't think it was a joke, or if it was I don't think it was a funny one. I thought it was just setting up the tone for the PiedPiper presentation scene by showing us that the judges are not afraid to publicly ridicule a presenter if they think (rightly or wrongly) that their idea is stupid.
Death of the author. I laughed at their proud display of anti-intellectualism.

And at the presenter being hilariously out of touch.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 21, 2014

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Rexides posted:

No, it was funny because the guy's invention would physically harm you and they really didn't want to have that used on any one. The presenter was also super weird and awkward. How do people misinterpret stuff like this?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Cingulate posted:

I laughed at their proud display of anti-intellectualism.

fariz posted:

No, it was funny because the guy's invention would physically harm you and they really didn't want to have that used on any one.

Just make up your mind, thread, which one is it?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

You were supposed to laugh at the presenter hth.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah it was supposed to demonstrate how out of touch some of these startups are with the consumers they hope to connect with, how awkward their founders are at public speaking and presenting their product, and finally that the judges arent afraid to crap on horrible ideas. It pulls those 3 things off well and was funny. There isnt some in-depth reverse joke about how the presenters actually had a great idea that would Save The World if only the judges weren't so incompetent and close minded...

So now that we've thoroughly analyzed that scene from every angle hopefully we can move on.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
No wait. There's more details. We need to rewind.

*fiddles around with 7 remotes for 4k smart TV, HD satellite DVR, and surround sound w/ bass boost*

*accidentally turns off lights*

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I love this show, and I'm sad there's only one more episode. At least it got renewed for next year.

Man, HBO is killing it Sunday nights right now, it's nuts. Game of Thrones, Veep, Silicon Valley, Last Week Tonight. It's gonna suck when these shows are over for the summer.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Damo posted:

Man, HBO is killing it Sunday nights right now, it's nuts. Game of Thrones, Veep, Silicon Valley, Last Week Tonight. It's gonna suck when these shows are over for the summer.

There's...True Blood?

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

Damo posted:

I love this show, and I'm sad there's only one more episode. At least it got renewed for next year.

Is Last Week Tonight off for the summer? That seems kind of dumb.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ultramiraculous posted:

There's...True Blood?

He meant killing it in a good way. Don't ruin it.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

They showed Silicon Valley at Techcrunch Disrupt and the judge clearly was not amused.

http://techcrunch.com/video/the-makers-of-hbos-silicon-valley-in-conversation-with-michael-arrington/518221623/

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 27, 2014

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Skunny Wundy posted:

I heard it had something like 30 episodes per season, but they did just take Memorial Day off like the rest of the HBO shows.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

They showed Silicon Valley at Techcrunch Disrupt and the judge clearly was not amused.

http://techcrunch.com/video/the-makers-of-hbos-silicon-valley-in-conversation-with-michael-arrington/518221623/

Holy poo poo was this whole thing awkward to watch. The host asking the questions was all passive-agressive about the show making fun of people like him, trying to poo poo all over Miller and Middleditch in the process. What a tool.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

This was everything I expected it would be other than Chris Christie moderating.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

It's embarassing that Techcrunch is now apparently considered a reputable voice in the industry. Jesus christ that was awkward. Guy just wants Silicon Valley to be like Entourage, yknow, show how cool we are over here.

edit: wait in the video the moderator said he hadn't seen the latest episode (and that the one before it was about the Pied Piper logo). This suggests he hasn't seen the Techcrunch episode where they make fun of "changing the world" being touted ad nausea by startups - does that mean the moderator wasn't trying to make a tie-in joke when he literally said that (something like "why are you making fun of us when all we really want to do is change the world?") or do you think somebody filled him in on that?

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 28, 2014

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

It's embarassing that Techcrunch is now apparently considered a reputable voice in the industry. Jesus christ that was awkward. Guy just wants Silicon Valley to be like Entourage, yknow, show how cool we are over here.

He also seems to completely miss the point that Entourage is pretty critical of Hollywood politics at times. The other guys in the video try to point that out, but they don't get very far.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

thathonkey posted:

edit: wait in the video the moderator said he hadn't seen the latest episode (and that the one before it was about the Pied Piper logo). This suggests he hasn't seen the Techcrunch episode where they make fun of "changing the world" being touted ad nausea by startups - does that mean the moderator wasn't trying to make a tie-in joke when he literally said that (something like "why are you making fun of us when all we really want to do is change the world?") or do you think somebody filled him in on that?

the "changing the world" joke was made in the first episode (remember the video of the hooli guy with african kids and stuff)

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

quote:

TechCrunch Disrupt NY 2014 on TechCrunch Disrupt NYC ’14 created by TechCrunch

What the gently caress is this poo poo.

It is this isn't it?

mrg220t fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 28, 2014

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

mrg220t posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo.

It is this isn't it?

See that's a false comparison, because at least one of those is a joke. Well I mean they're both a joke...but one is satire?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Google released their US employee demographics:

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Skunny Wundy posted:

Ah, didn't mean to imply that. I doubt it since it just started it's "season". I hope it just runs year round ala Daily Show and other similar shows. My guess though it'll be like Real Time w/ Bill Maher where it runs like a couple dozen episodes then a break for 3-5 months or whatever.

It really should be year round since the news doesn't stop! Plus it's only once a week. If the Daily Show/Colbert can run 4 nights a week almost all year (I believe they run all year, except maybe like part of the summer?) don't see why they can't handle a once a week 30 minute show for most of the year. I love Last Week Tonight damnit!

ultramiraculous posted:

There's...True Blood?

Yeah, no. Not a fan.

Damo fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 30, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

This was everything I expected it would be other than Chris Christie moderating.

I like the smug bit were he went after Mike Judge for not being a "real engineer" since Judge did tech related work back in the 80s.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

etalian posted:

I like the smug bit were he went after Mike Judge for not being a "real engineer" since Judge did tech related work back in the 80s.
Especially since that fat sack of poo poo isn't either.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

This was certainly the best part. Silicon Valley as a show may have more actual in-the-trenches experience than most of the people running Disrupt.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ultramiraculous posted:

This was certainly the best part. Silicon Valley as a show may have more actual in-the-trenches experience than most of the people running Disrupt.

Another funny fact about Michael Arrington is similar to the hilarious TED bit in Silicon Valley he advocates dropping out of college since boy geniuses
have nothing to learn from school.

Even though he stayed in school and got his law degree from Stanford.

quote:

Arrington has been known to advocate dropping out of college, stating at the 2010 UC-Berkeley Distinguished Innovator Lecture Series that “the best thing in the world is to go to Harvard for a year and drop out. Everyone knows you were smart enough to get in.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Stanford should offer a special dropout degree program for budding entrepreneurs that want street cred.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
We're here to get you rats, STAT!

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Why is there a Mario cosplayer in the background?

"I can track your kid anywhere and there is nothing you can do to stop me!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I am tracking your child RIGHT NOW.

Those drugs belong to an underaged child I brought to my house.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 2, 2014

• Locked thread