Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

Yorri steps forward intending to get between the lizards and the squishier party members, and takes aim, he deftly strikes down the healthier of the two lizards. And Maechen follows up by striding to the remaining lizard and cutting its head off.

That would normally work, but since speed is halved you can't quite make it that far actually that may have only been 10 feet and okay not sure why I thought it was farther, not that it matters.

Victory is yours! You get a total of 60 xp to split, but I will be adding it to a pool in the first post. Feel free to post in the aftermath and let me know when you are ready to continue, and if you want to change marching order.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Barnabus

"Hrmph. Well." Barnabus was a little dismayed and not being able to bury his axe into a foe's skull, but surely he'll have that chance when they come across their first lizardfolk or orc scouting party. If nothing else, nobody was injured, so no worries.

I'm fine with keeping the rear guard, but if you guys want to readjust, that's fine with me too.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Ghepard

Ghepard give a hearty pat to the paladin's shoulder, saying, "thanks for the assist, bro. You might prove useful after all!"

He then grasps the shaft of his arrow and thrusts his foot against the corpse of the downed lizard, pulling it out and examining it before returning it to his quiver.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Yorri

"Not bad guys, but I'm sure there's more than just lizards in this swamp. At least we know we can work as a team."

Stepping forward Yorri retrieves the hammer that had struck down one of the lizards. "I'm ready to move on out if the rest of you are."

Marching order is fine by me and ready to move on.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Sion

The tension of the fight strained his focus, although the arrow did find its target, it was not as clear a shot as he could make. Part of it is the excitement sure, but deep down, those days in the temple have cut back on his training time. He makes that mental note as he searches the lizard corpse for his arrow, only to find it splintered in the lizards body.

In response to Yorri, "A formidable team at that." He makes his way to Barnabus, showing concern for the attack that failed to inflict any injury. The incident with the sergeant has made him concerned for potential poisons the local area may threaten the party with, although he may be doting too much on the dwarf over a simple tussle with a lizard.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

After recovering any ammunition used, and making certain everyone is healthy, the group continues on with Maechen once more in the lead. After about an hour of travel you spot a group of four women bent over something. It looks like a small wisp of smoke escapes form whatever they are looking at. One of them happens to look up as you approach, and it is at this point that you notice that she is not only rather hideous but that she also appears to have a rather greenish cast to her features. She cackles and points you out to the others and you manage to pick up, "well it looks like we just found some more meat for our stew."

Maechen rushes through the muck and swings her battleaxe at the nearest hag, but fails to connect.

Initiative

22 Catalyn :rolldice:
21 Ghepard :rolldice:
21 Maechen
15 Barnabus :rolldice:
14 Yorri :rolldice:
11 Grundle :rolldice:
10 Sion :rolldice:
05 Green Hags

Maechen is actually in the square to the upper left corner of Hag 2.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard

Ghepard steps over the tiny halfling to stand on the other side of her, and fires off an arrow at the unsuspecting target in base with Maechen, shouting his battlecry as he does.

Longbow: 1d20+4 = 13, 1d8+3+1d6 = 10

Please hit :ohdear:

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion

Sion had never seen a hag before. In truth, he didn't know what to make of the creatures. It wasn't until the "meat for the stew" line that his thoughts became defensive. Ghepard acted with unexpected speed, ever the more reason to believe these hags were a true and real threat.

If his divine powers were active as they were yesterday, he would need them here again. Balancing his quarterstaff across his clasped hands, he chants a prayer of protection, one of the many scriptures fused into his mind over the years. Much like his healing powers, this energy comes from somewhere he's not entirely certain of and may prove to be a waste. Hanging from his waist, his cross starts to shine. Suddenly, a burst of yellow light emits from his body, covering the area in a 25 foot radius. Those touched by the light see it cling from their bodies like a layer of vapor, while finding their thoughts and actions more fluid and defined.

Casting Bless. All players (also our NPC guide) within 25 feet from me gain +1d4 on all attack and save rolls, lasting 10 minutes while concentration maintains. You can move outside the 25 feet and continue to receive the effect as long as I concentrate. 1 spell casting left for the day.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 26, 2014

Lacerda
Apr 20, 2004

Grundle

"Poor judgment in meal selection leads to...STOMACH UPSET!" cries Grundle, waiting until a hag ventures within 30 ft to throw another dart. Hopefully in its stomach so what he said makes some modicum of sense.

Readying an attack
The dart toss!: 1d20+4 610 1d4+3 7
Ah, max damage to the ground.

Edit: Oh wait, missed the extra +1d4. Don't think it makes a difference, but here goes:
Bless this dart: 1d4 4

Lacerda fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 26, 2014

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Barnabus

Barnabus gets ready for another attack, breaking through the lines to get to the front of battle.

Going to Hustle forward 5 squares.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Yorri

At least he was not caught out this time when the threat appeared. Stepping forward, the mud still slows Yorris movement so once again he pulls out a trusty hammer and flings it at the nearest Hag.

Move forward 2 spaces

throw hammer (disadvantage): 2#1d20+4 12 18 1d6+3 4 forgot the bonus to attack: 1d4 3 After taking the disadvantage into account my roll is 15 to hit and 4 damage

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

A rain of weapons is unleashed on the nearest hag, and all but one miss. Yorri, despite the distance, manages to connect with a thrown hammer giving the nearest hag the slightest of bruises.

The Hag does not really seem to notice the blow.

Initiative

21 Ghepard
21 Maechen
15 Barnabus
14 Yorri
11 Grundle
10 Sion
05 Green Hags

It may be hard to tell but Hag 2 is in fact missing a sliver of health.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Catalyn Woolrider

The giant lizards had appeared and been dispatched before Catalyn even had a chance to react. This time she was determined to prove to new teammates her worthiness as an adventurer. As she draws her crossbow and sheild a song comes to mind, passed down through her family since the days Great-Great-Grandpappy Woolrider defended the pastures from invaders atop his trusty ram mount. She belts the old battlecry, hoping it fills her allies with the same vigor.

"Oh, dance in the dark of night, Sing to the morning light.
The dark Lord rides in force tonight, And time will tell us all.

Oh, throw down your plow and hoe, Rest not to lock your homes.
Side by side we wait the might of the darkest of them all."

Casting Call to Battle. All allies get to add an extra d4 to melee and ranged damage rolls.

pre:
Catalyn Woolrider - Lightfoot Halfing Bard (Level 1)

STR - 12    12 (+1)		HP: 7/7			Performances:
CON - 12    12 (+1)		AC: 15			  Call to Battle
DEX - 13 +1 14 (+2)		Hit Dice: 1d6		  Inspire Competence
INT - 14    14 (+2)(proficiency) 	Init: +2
WIS - 09    09 (-1)		Proficiency: +1
CHA - 15 +1 16 (+3)(proficiency) 

MELEE OR RANGED ATTACK
   Hand Axe +2 to hit; 1d6 slashing; range 20/60 (light, thrown)
RANGED ATTACK   
   Hand Crossbow +3 to hit; 1d6 piercing; range 30/120 (ammunition, light, loading)

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 26, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

As Catalyn begins her song the hags go into motion. The one next to Maechen claws at her but cannot penetrate Machen's armor. The others begin to swim through the muddy water, avoiding the muck that so slows you down. Diving into the dirty water only to surface as the attack. One pops up right in front of Barnabus and reaches out to touch him, but cannot get through his armor, actually she couldn't even manage to connect with the armor let alone his flesh. Another pops up next to Maechen and actually manages to connect with her claws this time though they seem to do little but scratch Maechen. The final Hag simply disappears.

Initiative

21 Maechen :rolldice:
05 Green Hags

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion

The unfamiliar sensation of the spell was surprising to say the least. Now that its effects have taken hold, he finds his mind constantly reciting the prayer he chanted to first invoke the power. Although maintaining concentration takes up some brain power, he has enough focus to realize there is a fourth Hag somehow missing from the group. Is it looking to surprise them mid fight? As much as he wants to aid Maechen in her fight against two of the hags, this murky swamp would make reaching her too difficult and would leave his nearby companions vulnerable, should the fourth somehow reach them.

He draws on his shortbow and takes aim at one of the creatures, an occasional muttering of the mantra passing his lips.

Attacking Hag 1, shortbow.: Hit=1#1d20+4+1d4 26 Damage=1#1d6+3 6 (I forgot to add the music damage bonus: Forgot +damage from music on hag1: 1d4 4), total damage 10

If things get active and I'm not responsive/in irc because I'm passed out, I'll be plinking arrows until something gets within' stick thwacking range.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 26, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

Sion keeps up his spell, and bolstered by Catalyn's performance, not only hits the hag with his fired arrow but does so quite well. The hag flinches, but still looks to be doing rather well.

You forgot to add in Call to Battle's bonus to your damage, I rolled and got a 3 so you did 9 damage. That was almost a third of her life. At this rate you may be rather successful.

Initiative

10 Sion
05 Green Hags

Map not updated with new lifebar.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Yorri

Finally one of the hags are in range of Yorri's axe. Stepping up, the dwarf takes a swing at the nearest one and misses spectacularly.

moving one spot down and forward at an angle so I am next to Barnabus and hag 4 is in front of me

Attack Hag: 1d20+1d4+4 9 1d8+3+1d4 10 time for the bad rolls.

Lacerda
Apr 20, 2004

Grundle

Grundle sloshes through the marsh next to Sion. "Let's try that again," he mutters, tossing another dart at Hag #1.

Donating a dart to Hag #1: 1d20+1d4+4 10 1d4+3+1d4 8

"...I need more practice."

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Learning as we go through this so Yorri is going to use Fighting Style(Protection) as a reaction interrupt if Hag 4 attacks me or Barnabus. It imposes a disadvantage on their attack roll.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Barnabus

"Tempus!" Barnabus hoped the simple battlecry would startle the hags enough to divert their attention to him. He swung his mighty hammer at the hag next to him, connecting solidly.

Attacking Green Hag 4: 1d20+4+1d4 26 vs. AC 1d8+3+1d4 12 bludgeoning damage

I've been saying axe this whole time, but it turns out I gave him a warhammer instead. Haven't hit anything yet, so it didn't matter, but I did want to mention it.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

A flurry of misses embarrasses the group, until Barnabus manages to scream out "Tempus!" and slam his weapon into the nearby hag who lets out a shriek, but is still mostly okay. Maechen follows up with her own strike on the more injured hag near her. She scores a hit, and the hag screams, the blow did not hurt as much as the one Barnabus inflicted on the other hag perhaps but this hag is more injured now.

Initiative

21 Maechen
15 Barnabus
14 Yorri
11 Grundle
10 Sion
05 Green Hags

Lacerda
Apr 20, 2004

Grundle

"Catalyn, lads, if we don't do something soon, our guide might be in a spot of bother! Enough of this hanging back!" Grundle draws his battleaxe and moves as quick as his little dwarf legs will allow.

On his turn Grundle will hustle to the space one square up and two squares left from Hag #1.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard

Ghepard looks more than a little perturbed with the lack of progress in this fight.
He figures it best to shoot one of the hags who already took a whallop, and since Maenchen is fending off two by herself while the third has two hearty dwarves in its face, he fires at the wounded one haranguing her.

Longbow at Green Hag #1: 1d20+4+1d4 = 15 , 1d8+3+1d6+1d4 = 10

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Catalyn Woolrider

Catalyn continues to sing with crossbow and shield in hand and dashes northward to lets a bolt fly. The "THUNK" of the bolt embedding itself in in the hag's shoulder is a singular percussion hit as she returns to refrain.

Moving 2 squares NE and attacking Hag 1 with Hand-Crossbow

Crossbow vs. Hag 1: 1d20+3 22 1d6+2+1d4 6 piercing damage.

pre:

STR - 12    12 (+1)			HP: 7/7			Performances:
CON - 12    12 (+1)			AC: 15			  Call to Battle
DEX - 13 +1 14 (+2)			Hit Dice: 1d6		  Inspire Competence
WIS - 09    09 (-1)			Proficiency: +1

MELEE ATTACK
   Hand Axe +2 to hit; 1d6+1 slashing; range 20/60 (light, thrown)
RANGED ATTACK
   Hand Axe +3 to hit; 1d6+2 slashing; range 20/60 (light, thrown)   
   Hand Crossbow +3 to hit; 1d6+2 piercing; range 30/120 (ammunition, light, loading)

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

The bolt strikes home and the hag screams in pain, and tries to swim away. Maechen swings at the retreating hag, but misses. All of a sudden another hag appears out of thin air on the other side of Yorri and reaches out and touches him through his armor. He can feel his muscles withering. The hag on the other side of him lashes at him with her claws, but they scrape along his armor and do nothing at all. The final hag tries the same with Maechen but cannot even touch her, let alone penetrate her armor.

Okay just barely hit Yorri's massive AC, Yorri takes 12 Necrotic damage and must make a Constitution Saving throw, but should be fine unless the roll is really low.

Initiative

14 Yorri :rolldice: :siren: At 2 HP :siren:
05 Green Hags

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Yorri

Reeling from the attack, Yorri does everything he can to stay on his feet, which apparently is not much.

You should know that I can never make a saving roll... Saving Roll: 1d20+3 6 Or were you not there when I spent an entire boss fight rooted in one place in the Murdersticks game?

If I can actually do something with my turn, I'll Second Wind: 1d6+1 3 so 3 THP to me.

And keep Fighting Style(Protection) as a reaction interrupt if Hag 4 attacks me or Barnabus. It imposes a disadvantage on their attack roll.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I actually forgot to take into account the disadvantage, but I just rolled for it and the second roll was a 25 so it still hit.

And ouch yeah you actually failed though you forgot to add Proficiency to your save, which would have given you a 7. Still it was close, you almost succeeded.

Man that reminds me how terrible Second Wind is now.

Okay you failed the save: Failed Save: You have disadvantage on melee attack rolls, saving throws, and all Strength and Dexterity checks for 1 minute.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion

Yorri's waning strength gives Sion pause. If it was not for Barnabus at his side, he would rush to his aid. However, Maechen is still in danger and has "convinced" one of the Hags to turn tail. Fearing possible retribution in the form of another stealth attack, Sion aims his bow once more, his spells concentration still lending to his aim.

Bow shot to Hag 1 for the kill: To-Hit 1#1d20+4+1d4 14 Damage: 1#1d6+3+1d4 12

Also moving 2 squares closer to Maechen and her remaning hag.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 27, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

Yorri calls upon hidden reserves of strength, his muscles swell a bit and he feels a little more protected from the upcoming hits. Meanwhile Sion once more fires an arrow at the hags, trying to take out the fleeing hag before it can get away. The arrow goes up and then rains down upon the swimming hag and strikes it through the neck, killing her. The muddy water begins to color with hag blood.

14 actually hits! The swimming, fleeing, hag is downed.

Initiative

14 Yorri :siren: At 2 HP and 3 THP :siren:
10 Sion
05 Green Hags

Map not updated

Lacerda
Apr 20, 2004

Grundle

Seeing Yorri grievously wounded and Maechen holding her own, Grundle will move into contact with Hag #3 and swing his tired old battleaxe for its face.

Axe meets face!: 1d20+1d4 6 7 1d10+1d4 5

Hahaha

Edit: forgot my prof bonus!!!

Lacerda fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 27, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

Grundle trudges through the muck and tries to strike down one of the hags, but his blow goes wide. Maechen follows suit by trying to slash the hag near her in half, but also misses.

That sadly is a miss.

Initiative

21 Maechen
11 Grundle
10 Sion
05 Green Hags

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Catalyn Woolrider

A second bolt locked and loaded, Catalyn takes aim at the hag harassing Yorri. Her voice wavers slightly as the shot whips past its target and into the reeds.

Attacking Hag 4 with Hand-Crossbow again
Crossbow vs. Hag 4: 1d20+3 8 1d6+2+1d4 8 Miss :(
Forgot the 1d4 to attack: 1d4 2 Still a miss :(

pre:

STR - 12    12 (+1)			HP: 7/7			Performances:
CON - 12    12 (+1)			AC: 15			  Call to Battle
DEX - 13 +1 14 (+2)			Hit Dice: 1d6		  Inspire Competence
WIS - 09    09 (-1)			Proficiency: +1

MELEE ATTACK
   Hand Axe +2 to hit; 1d6+1 slashing; range 20/60 (light, thrown)
RANGED ATTACK
   Hand Axe +3 to hit; 1d6+2 slashing; range 20/60 (light, thrown)   
   Hand Crossbow +3 to hit; 1d6+2 piercing; range 30/120 (ammunition, light, loading)

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 27, 2014

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Barnabus

Waffling between bestowing some holy life energy on his fellow dwarf warrior and ending the threat to his brethren's life, Barnabus goes for the tried and true hammer to the face.

Attacking Green Hag 4 Again: 1d20+4+1d4 25 vs. AC 1d8+3+1d4 11 damage

Sorry for taking all the good numbers from orokos, guys :smith:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

A bolt is launched, and misses by a good foot or so, However the hammer blow that followed hit home. The hag in front of Barnabus's blow shrieks and flinches, and is looking rather bruised.

Too bad you don't have spells, particularly Healing Word, or you could have done both. Hag 4 is down to about a third her max HP now.

Initiative

22 Catalyn
21 Maechen
15 Barnabus
11 Grundle
10 Sion
05 Green Hags

Map not updated.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard

Ghepard maneuvers his way behind the party and takes aim at the wounded hag in front of Yorri; the one on the other side looks like its about to get pulverized by 3 very angry dwarves. "loving die, bitch!" he shouts as he releases the bowstring.

Longbow at Hag #4: 1d20+4+1d4 = 9, 1d8+3+1d6+1d4 = 10 :flaccid:
Attack roll lower than damage roll, durrr. Move Ghepard to 2 squares North of Catalyn

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

Ghepard launches an arrow at the injured hag, and totally fails to do anything all that useful. The hag seems completely oblivious to the arrow sitting a few feet away from her as she tears into the injured dwarf. Or she would if not for a shield getting shoved in her face. Annoying dwarves and their shields. The hag on the other side of Yorri follows suit, but can't even make contact with the dwarf's armor.

The hag facing Maechen however connects solidly, ripping with all her strength into Maechen's flesh. In retaliation Maechen lashes out with her axe, giving nearly as good as she got. Though she is looking a lot better than the hag after that exchange.

Protection just saved Yorri, though the 10 damage hit would not have outright killed Yorri. That said the first roll was 1 off of a crit, in which case it would have outright killed Yorri for 24 damage. But hey isn't it great it was a 19 instead of a 20, and protection dropped the roll down by 13 points.

Initiative

21 Maechen
05 Green Hags

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard

"Apparently I'm the doorknob, because everyone gets a turn!" Ghepard muses sarcastically, as he knocks an arrow and aims at yet another different hag; this time it's the remaining one fighting Maenchen.

Longbow vs. Hag #2 (attack, damage): 1d20+4+1d4 = 19, 1d8+3+1d6+1d4 = 9

That should hit, damage still unspectacular. Might be enough.

Lacerda
Apr 20, 2004

Grundle

"Yorri! Take cover my friend!" Grundle drops his axe and twirls his spell component pouch around his wrist before locking his thumbs and spreading his hands.

Assuming Yorri Disengages and gets the heck out of the way, I'm going to throw Burning Hands all over Hag #3 and Hag #4, shaping the cone so it misses Barnabus.

BURNING HANDS! (DC 12 dex save for half): 3d6 10

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion

His focus wavers as the need to maintain concentration took priority. He wasn't even sure the arrow hit the Hag. It wasn't until the violent trashing in the water stopped that he realized it connected. His first kill, but such thoughts will have to wait.

Ghepard's sarcasm as he lines up his next shot assures Sion he has Meachen covered. As Grundle invokes his spell, Sion spies an opportunity. Bow swung back, he pulls out his healing potion and uncorks it, gesturing with upward arms to Yorri. "Come this way! Over here!"

The documents are purposefully vague so it's difficult to tell if I'm doing this correctly. What I'm aiming to do is, should Yorri disengage to the square under me to avoid burning hands, I will use the Help action for two things; feed him my health potion (an action) and offer advantage to his next task, be it a saving throw or an attack. Essentially I'm spending my move/action to Help, which seems to work by the rules.

Edit: I overlooked the granting advantage part, seems I need to be within 5 feet of his target to grant advantage. Since I'd need to move a square above Grundle for that, it'd mean I would have spent my move action. However you want to rule this, I'd like to give feeding Yorri the potion top priority and if I have to sit on my hands for a turn, no big deal.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Yorri

Sliding out of the way, Yorri allows Grundle the space he needs to blast the hags.

Disengage to the square between Sion and Hag 3.

and Fighting Style(Protection) as a reaction interrupt if Hag 3 attacks anyone. It imposes a disadvantage on their attack roll.

These rules are rough. So last turn second wind used up my action to stay alive(and is pretty useless), now disengage used up my action and to stay alive next turn I can finally drink the healing potion. Disengage should really use up your move or action, not just action.

• Locked thread