Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Broniki posted:

I and countless others are going to walk away from this discussion not taking anything you say on board, and there will be no awful consequences for it in society for women. Isn't that amazing?

But what about the consequences for men? I think that should be our real concern here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

copper rose petal posted:

Considering his writings are 100% about his entire life of female 'rejection' and the misery it caused him, and almost all of his social interactions and advancements as a person were brought back to his failure to get a hot girlfriend, I think this is pretty much not true.

Bus guy had an appartment filled with bus schedules, clearly his hatred of buses was the real problem and not his insanity.

Sharkie posted:

I feel that that's an important difference. His rage against women was so common he wasn't just ignored, he was supported.

Yeah good point, his posts on the body builder forum were actually some of the least distrubing ones.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Broniki posted:

I and countless others are going to walk away from this discussion not taking anything you say on board, and there will be no awful consequences for it in society for women. Isn't that amazing?

Except it's not true at all, widespread sexism and violence towards women is a huge societal problem, and the vast majority of violence towards women, even if it isn't literal murder, is committed by men. It must be comforting to be an ignorant dumbass so you don't have to confront reality.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Broniki posted:

Oh yeah? Well I refuse to question my beliefs and statements because you're mean! Serves you right, rear end in a top hat!

Pretty cool to try to score internet argument points by declaring your refusal to learn anything.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Popular Thug Drink posted:

It is possible, but you'd have to ignore his own statements on the subject. He clearly murdered them because they would never do the loving dishes, for example. Once you're off the beaten path anything is possible.

Ignore his own statements like how he wanted to flay the flesh from people he hated, and that oh by the way he really hated his roommates. God drat you are being willfully stupid.

Thanks for sharing your opinion I guess but your argument is directly contradicted by the killer's own statements so I don't know if you're expecting applause for your bravery in talking out of your rear end or what.

Once again you have no problem taking the writings of a lunatic at face value. "Murdering three guys with a knife in what must have been a horrific and bloody struggle, and then later shooting a fourth guy you don't even know in the head seems kind of superfluous if your goal is to kill women. Never mind that, misogyny is the only explanation!"

No, the parts where he expressed a hatred of men for hogging all the women is not misogyny.

He hated men who hogged women, and he hated men who were the opposite of him socially, and he hated both. But you only care about one of these facts. Must be misogyny!

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Lemming posted:

Except it's not true at all, widespread sexism and violence towards women is a huge societal problem, and the vast majority of violence towards women, even if it isn't literal murder, is committed by men. It must be comforting to be an ignorant dumbass so you don't have to confront reality.

I know, it makes you really angry to see people who haven't swallowed the red pill. How can they be so blind? Why can't they just SEE?

Pretty cool to try to score internet argument points by declaring your refusal to learn anything.

This implies that there's anything valuable to be learned.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Ernie Muppari posted:

loving women keepin the man down

excuse me, loving women keeps this man up :awesome:

sorry for the misogyny, but this is still SA

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

platedlizard posted:

Bus guy had an appartment filled with bus schedules, clearly his hatred of buses was the real problem and not his insanity.

Yeah good point, his posts on the body builder forum were actually some of the least distrubing ones.

Part of the point is, there's an entire subculture of men that think like he does, and an ideology that supports them, as well as several aspects of American society that support this kind of thinking, but in a thread that's supposed to be about those things, people keep rushing in to disrupt that conversation and say it shouldn't be happening. This doesn't happen when someone talks about antisemitism when someone shoots up a Jewish community center (unless you're on stormfront). It's worth asking why that is.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Typical Pubbie posted:

As for Rodger's motivation for killing his roommates, we know he hated them both personally and for being Asian. I think it's possible for people to have several motivations for killing running more or less parallel with each other, just as it is possible to hate more than one thing. Turning his apartment into a torture chamber (for men and women) is some aspirational bullshit coming from a guy like this, but murdering three men in quick succession with a knife all in the same apartment without any of them escaping or managing to fight him off had to have been hard to do. Either he put a lot of thought into it or he got lucky. Isn't it possible that Rodger killed his roommates because he hated them, killed the sorority women because he hated women, and killed Martinez and injured a whole of people because he hated everyone?

Like, whoa, man, maybe like everything is possible? Really makes you think.

What we can say, however, is that it's far less likely that he killed his roommates as an end in and of itself due to racist motives because, you know, he didn't write a 100+ page manifesto primarily about how he hated them asians where he told us that trying to shoot up a sorority was a regrettable but necessary part of the plan.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Typical Pubbie posted:

Ignore his own statements like how he wanted to flay the flesh from people he hated, and that oh by the way he really hated his roommates. God drat you are being willfully stupid.

This is called projection. This is where you accuse me of doing the things you are doing, such as selectively quoting the guy's manifesto.

I'm not saying the dude was only mysoginist. That is stupid. I am mocking you for stubbornly downplaying his mysoginy and trying to claim that there's a feminist plot to make this entirely about mysoginy, which is seemingly borne from your suspicion and mistrust of feminists.

Typical Pubbie posted:

Once again you have no problem taking the writings of a lunatic at face value. "Murdering three guys with a knife in what must have been a horrific and bloody struggle, and then later shooting a fourth guy you don't even know in the head seems kind of superfluous if your goal is to kill women. Never mind that, misogyny is the only explanation!"

I'm going to assume you're just trolling here. You're simultaneously saying we can't trust his writings on women while saying we can trust his writings on men.

Typical Pubbie posted:

He hated men who hogged women, and he hated men who were the opposite of him socially, and he hated both. But you only care about one of these facts. Must be misogyny!

The only thing I care about is making fun of you for being ignorant, whether or not that is a deliberate act on your part.

For someone who is allegedly trying to take a moderate position you're on an Icaran trajectory towards full blown he man woman hating.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 28, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cerebral Bore posted:

What we can say, however, is that it's far less likely that he killed his roommates as an end in and of itself due to racist motives because, you know, he didn't write a 100+ page manifesto primarily about how he hated them asians where he told us that trying to shoot up a sorority was a regrettable but necessary part of the plan.

Yeah, but he was crazy so you can't trust what he wrote about women. What he wrote about hating men, that actually is troublesome and worth consideration.

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

...and make their girlfriends watch so they would learn once and for all who was the worthy male. If you stopped reading at word 5 in a sentence, it doesn't make the rest of the sentence disappear.

quote:

He hated men who were the opposite of him socially because they were getting the sex he deserved. He loving says this over and over and over.

But keep doing this whole "I'm not saying it wasn't misogyny" "LOL but he killed nerdy men" poo poo. Nobody is really taking you seriously anymore.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Broniki posted:

No one cares.

This has been the way for anything. Civil Rights, Gay Rights, Women's Rights have always had to deal with people like you who refuse to evaluate yourself/change for the better. But the best part is that you and retards like Mortally-Impaired Murder Muppet still help advance progress because you show the world that progress must be enforced through legislation with a side helping of force. And as such, change happens & you end up more marginalized.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yeah, but he was crazy so you can't trust what he wrote about women. What he wrote about hating men, that actually is troublesome and worth consideration.

Also his actions are the real litmus test for his actual beliefs, because as we all know insane people on a killing spree are paragons of rationality and never do anything they don't intend to.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

I'm not saying the dude was only mysoginist. That is stupid. I am mocking you for stubbornly downplaying his mysoginy and trying to claim that there's a feminist plot to make this entirely about mysoginy, which is seemingly borne from your suspicion and mistrust of feminists.

Read the first page of this thread. Then a few more pages after that. It's a terrorist attack on women and mental health don't matter. This sentiment crops up for pretty much the rest of the thread.

I'm going to assume you're just trolling here. You're simultaneously saying we can't trust his writings on women while saying we can trust his writings on men.

I'm pointing out what he actually did, you idiot.

The only thing I care about is making fun of you for being ignorant, whether or not that is a deliberate act on your part.

For someone who is allegedly trying to take a moderate position you're on an Icaran trajectory towards full blown he man woman hating.

Waaah, someone said a mean thing about feminist messaging! Must be misogyny.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Typical Pubbie posted:

Read the first page of this thread. Then a few more pages after that. It's a terrorist attack on women and mental health don't matter. This sentiment crops up for pretty much the rest of the thread.

So you're admitting that you just don't trust those feminists and that your inept fumbling stems from an emotional reation?

Typical Pubbie posted:

This has nothing to do with you dismissing the guy's anger against women while taking his anger against men seriously. "But I'm talking about his actions!" is not a compelling reason as to why you deem parts of his manifesto less sincere than other parts.

Typical Pubbie posted:

I don't think you understand my very simple words. I am specifically mocking you for being an idiot itt. It's no fun if you do the work for me. Please accuse me of being angry next, at least before you accuse me of being part of the leftist hivemind.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Typical Pubbie posted:

Literally the second god drat post calls this line of thinking into question. Here, read it again.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

He was a spree killer, I don't know if 'terrorist' is the right term here. He didn't seem to care about creating fear among the greater population to further an political or religious agenda, he just wanted revenge for perceived slights against himself. I wouldn't call a serial killer who targets only women a 'terrorist' either.

And calling him a terrorist gets dismissed outright, you know in the first few pages you're referencing. Him being a misogynist and the attacks clearly targeting women were also brought up, as was the mental health aspect which again, in those first few pages and pretty much the rest of the thread gets discussed. Now I'm just spit balling here, but that's probably because he was a misogynist that clearly targeting women and also had mental health issues.

Typical Pubbie posted:

You do realize he tried has hard as he could (which given everything else wasn't that hard) to murder a sorority full of girls he felt like he was entitled to right? But because of a locked door he just went on a killing spree that targeted random people.

Typical Pubbie posted:

Yeah, you don't have a problem with feminist, just their messaging. Oh, that actually does make you a misogynist by the way so good job admitting to that.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
You're projecting. This entire discussion has been you trying to paint me as a Reddit MRA here to challenge all comers. All because I don't believe the narcissistic rambling of a sociopath to be an entirely accurate representation of the true breadth of his problems without comparing his threats to what he actually did. Which was to deliberately target men for death, men who were not obstacles in his obsession with women. Men who he created an excuse to kill (the torture chamber that never was). And a man who he apparently just decided to shoot in the head while he was standing in a story.

That you refuse to entertain the possibility that there could be motivating factors other than misogyny and a dash of mental health (but not too much) pretty much confirms my original point about feminist messaging.

e: literally "you criticized feminism, therefore you are a misandryst." The strawfeminist is real!

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 28, 2014

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

fridgraidr posted:

bbut... but.. the title

Like he said, it doesn't assert that it was the only important thing. Just the thing we are discussing.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
And to be clear A Winner Is Jew is accusing you of mysoginy because you're quick to blame feminists specifically for your negative reaction to how people are discussing this event. Feminists are not to blame for your hangups.

Typical Pubbie posted:

You're projecting.

Please don't copy my arguments, that is the laziest trolling possible.

Typical Pubbie posted:

This entire discussion has been you trying to paint me as a Reddit MRA here to challenge all comers. All because I don't believe the narcissistic rambling of a sociopath to be an entirely accurate representation of the true breadth of his problems without comparing his threats to what he actually did. Which was to deliberately target men for death, men who were not obstacles in his obsession with women. Men who he created an excuse to kill (the torture chamber that never was). And a man who he apparently just decided to shoot in the head while he was standing in a story.

By refusing to accept the guy's written statement of his greivances and instead mapping motivation onto his brief killing spree while blaming feminists for overplaying the thing you irrationally reject you are doing just fine at painting yourself, buddy.

Typical Pubbie posted:

That you refuse to entertain the possibility that there could be motivating factors other than misogyny and a dash of mental health (but not too much) pretty much confirms my original point about feminist messaging.

Your point is completely idiotic, based in nothing but your own bad feelings regarding feminism.

Typical Pubbie posted:

e: literally "you criticized feminism, therefore you are a misandryst." The strawfeminist is real!

If you're criticizing feminism on completely false grounds then it's not much of a logical leap to assume that your main problem is with feminism itself and not whatever bullshit web you're spinning to rationalize your beliefs.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 28, 2014

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Fados posted:

You see this is what I don't like. Besides being a male chauvinist, he was a racist, a homophobe and whatever else ism's or ist's. This leads to thinking the solution as a iteration of cures over these particular illness and discrete conditions. Where I think these fails is that these aren't disparate discrete things that can be taken care one by one. Like if you spent a year saying to this guy 'Killing women is wrong, you're just a vehicle for the patriarchal culture.' 'Ok, but so what? This is how I get my kicks and everything else just seems boring as hell compared to my awesome rape, torture, murder, revenge, etc, fantasies.'

What I'm saying is that to define this guy in the feminist, racist, misogynist box, whatever, as I see it, loses something else. Although these perspectives are useful and have their place, eg I think it's true to say he fitted in the misogynists, racist stereotype, but still those are specific engagements and can only be absolutely true in that way (from and engaged perspective). Being that you'r not gonna convince a non feminist that he, beyond all doubt, was a misogynist.

So really what that discussion was about, was to get people to accept the feminist framework.

I think that you are sort of missing the point. First of all, nobody (outside of tbp who is probably trolling) is suggesting that sitting down and telling Elliot Rodger "killing women is patriarchal" would solve anything. On the individual level, you don't convert people to a polar opposite ideology without considering what attaches them to their current belief system.

But we can't talk to Elliot Rodger, because he is dead. Our concerns should be to mitigate the damage that he has done, and to prevent future tragedies. Part of the damage Rodger has caused is because his actions, when correctly placed in the framework of a society with pervasive, structural gendered violence, forces women to consider everyday actions like "not loving a creepy dude" as potential invitations to be murdered. This can only be addressed by working to dismantle the overall framework of misogyny--and especially the outright pro-sexism communities like MRA groups--that led to Rodger choosing the targets he chose. The reason is because we are talking about structural cultural forces that people internalize from birth. We need to change society so that young boys aren't taught the kinds of lovely messages that lead to the MRA culture of hate that Rodger marinated in. And as a sweet bonus, we'll also cut down on rapes and domestic abuse and all kinds of less-extreme problems!

Second, you misunderstand my point in bringing up other forms of oppression. I was saying exactly that these are not disparate discrete things. They're all part of a whole fabric of oppression and need to be deconstructed together. But they are societal problems first and foremost, which is why analyzing this event on the level of a one-off individual's mental illness is incomplete and largely unhelpful.

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

"I don't have anything against feminists, but I am invested enough in their messaging to find it problematic when they want to blame a self-professed misogynist for a killing spree that he explicitly states is motivated by his hatred for women."

Mhm. Troll on, friend.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

A Winner is Jew posted:

Him being a misogynist and the attacks clearly targeting women were also brought up, as was the mental health aspect which again, in those first few pages and pretty much the rest of the thread gets discussed. Now I'm just spit balling here, but that's probably because he was a misogynist that clearly targeting women and also had mental health issues.

And this isn't controversial, and it doesn't preclude the ostensible thread topic at all, but for some reason people keep popping up to shout down any discussion of misogyny or of the extreme groups he was associating with. And then the people who are doing that almost invariably start complaining about feminism. Funny, that.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Feminists are the sole representatives of women now.

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

Feminists are the sole representatives of women now.

Like you hadn't already decided this before this thread ever started.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Your point is completely idiotic, based in nothing but your own bad feelings regarding feminism.

You are literally arguing that there can't possibly be any other motivating factors besides misogyny and whatever level of mental health you're comfortable with, despite his actions being wildly irrational for someone who's sole motivating goal is supposedly to kill women. You are an idiot.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Typical Pubbie posted:

You're projecting. This entire discussion has been you trying to paint me as a Reddit MRA here to challenge all comers. All because I don't believe the narcissistic rambling of a sociopath to be an entirely accurate representation of the true breadth of his problems without comparing his threats to what he actually did. Which was to deliberately target men for death, men who were not obstacles in his obsession with women. Men who he created an excuse to kill (the torture chamber that never was). And a man who he apparently just decided to shoot in the head while he was standing in a story.

Provide quotes to this or shut the gently caress up.

Typical Pubbie posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638025&userid=132081

That's all my posts in this thread. At no point do I attribute his actions to just misogyny. Hell, I go out of my way in several posts to attribute equal cause to his mental health problems that I do to his misogyny.

Typical Pubbie posted:

Typical Pubbie posted:

You're a loving moron dude.

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

You are literally arguing that there can't possibly be any other motivating factors besides misogyny and whatever level of mental health you're comfortable with, despite his actions being wildly irrational for someone who's sole motivating goal is supposedly to kill women. You are an idiot.

You've literally been told over and over again that mental health ABSOLUTELY played a role by people you've been engaging with for pages, and still come up with this strawman bullshit. Get new material.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Like you hadn't already decided this before this thread ever started.

You're assuming that I reject all feminist theory because of this one sticking point. You are wrong.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I fully agree that the guy's writings show that he's a misogynist. No doubt about that; people who dispute it are either dipshits with a misogynist agenda or seriously misguided.

But why the gently caress are we poring over and reading and interpreting his writings? Sure, sure, "don't reduce it to mental illness instead of ideology", but the guy doesn't deserve to be a political talking point. Sure, we all hate him, but I think he'd be okay with that. What he wanted was for us all to read what he had to say. I'm a writer, I know this. The goal of writing is to be read. And he accomplished this goal apparently by killing and injuring a lot of people. gently caress that and gently caress this guy. I'm not reading his goddamn "manifesto", I feel secondhand embarrassment for the people who did (excepting a small handful who did so as part of actually necessary investigation), and I hate that I'm writing this post.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

tezcat posted:

No one cares.

This has been the way for anything. Civil Rights, Gay Rights, Women's Rights have always had to deal with people like you who refuse to evaluate yourself/change for the better. But the best part is that you and retards like Mortally-Impaired Murder Muppet still help advance progress because you show the world that progress must be enforced through legislation with a side helping of force. And as such, change happens & you end up more marginalized.

Maybe after a few more incidents like this, society will stand up and finally make assaulting women a crime.

If you think you've found the solution to violence being encouraged by frustrated, often marginalized men in society than I would love to hear it because we've kind of been grappling with it for the whole of civilization's existence.

Eldragon posted:

Since I can't tell if you're trying to be ironic or something, lets just say [Citation Needed] (Hint, you're way off).

I am being ironic. Lid ditched the thread after I showed him around 80% of worldwide homicide victims are men. Of course, maybe those men weren't killed because of misandry so they probably don't count or something.

EasternBronze fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 28, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Typical Pubbie posted:

I am not arguing that. I've repeatedly said that my argument is specifically mocking your terrible argument. What I am arguing is that your argument that mysoginy is not the primary motivator of his murder spree is based in two assertions:

1) We cannot trust the words in his manifesto because he is crazy.

2) The actions he took during his spree are more indicative of his thought process than his manifesto.

People have been constantly grilling you over 1) because your seeming justification to discount his manifesto is simply because it's convenient to ignore it. You have no other reason to believe that this is an inaccurate accounting of his thought process. You then slide to 2) as a justification, choosing to believe that the actions a person would take while they are in the process of randomly murdering people are more revealing than the lengthy self-justifying written statement typed up over a long period of time where the author is not engaged in gunplay. To say this argument is irrational doesn't do justice to the word.

There's no reason to take you seriously here given that your argument is not internally self-consistent and seems motivated in your own personal grudge against feminism rather than any sort of rational thought process.

Typical Pubbie posted:

You're assuming that I reject all feminist theory because of this one sticking point. You are wrong.

It's a safe assumption, given that you've been arguing for pages that feminists are using this as a football for reasons that don't make any sense at all to people who don't have a chip on their shoulder about ladies with opinions.

What I'm saying is that you are an unreliable narrator and that we should not trust your words versus your actions, which in this case is continuing to post long after your intellectual bankruptcy has been exposed.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 28, 2014

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

You mean you had elaborate ideas about the validity of feminist thought prior to engaging in this totally-in-earnest discussion about the role of misogyny? Get out!

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So what does MRA Paul Elam from avoicevormen.com think about violence?

quote:

Progress for men will not be gained by debate, reason or typical channels of grievance available to segments of the population that the world actually gives a drat about. The progress we need will only be realized by inflicting enough pain on the agents of hate, in public view, that it literally shocks society out of its current coma.

Lovely. This is the kind of poo poo that people like the shooter immersed themselves in. When people talk about radicalization in the context of this shooting, this is what they mean. Hieronymus Alloy had a good post about how extremist movements attract mentally ill people, then the mentally ill people end up carrying out acts that the other members only talked about, and this is what happened here.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I fully agree that the guy's writings show that he's a misogynist. No doubt about that; people who dispute it are either dipshits with a misogynist agenda or seriously misguided.

But why the gently caress are we poring over and reading and interpreting his writings? Sure, sure, "don't reduce it to mental illness instead of ideology", but the guy doesn't deserve to be a political talking point. Sure, we all hate him, but I think he'd be okay with that. What he wanted was for us all to read what he had to say. I'm a writer, I know this. The goal of writing is to be read. And he accomplished this goal apparently by killing and injuring a lot of people. gently caress that and gently caress this guy. I'm not reading his goddamn "manifesto", I feel secondhand embarrassment for the people who did (excepting a small handful who did so as part of actually necessary investigation), and I hate that I'm writing this post.

I feel that. And I sympathize, I really do. But on the other hand, this is just one of the most recent, visible aspects of people calling for women to be victimized, and as such it's important for some people to understand the psychological, cultural, and ideological aspects of what happened, and unfortunately doing so means reading a bunch of poo poo from garbage people.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Typical Pubbie posted:

You just evidently get really upset when anyone wants to talk about it and would rather align yourself with MRAs and outright misogynists than with feminists.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

What is the benefit of this point of view? Some childish sense of satisfaction on your own part from really sticking it to that dead guy? Is refusing to address these issues really a good price to pay for the chance that somehow "people talking about things" is the dividing line for someone between killing a bunch of people and living a nonviolent life?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Oh My God, I never made a judgment on whether he was primarily motivated to kill by misogyny. My contention has always been with the supposed motivation behind the men he targeted. You keep talking as if I haven't acknowledged the relevance of misogyny in the killing spree or in who Rodger was as a person is so loving disingenuous. That or you don't read half of what I write.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

Typical Pubbie posted:

Oh My God, I never made a judgment on whether he was primarily motivated to kill by misogyny. My contention has always been with the supposed motivation behind the men he targeted. You keep talking as if I haven't acknowledged the relevance of misogyny in the killing spree or in who Rodger was as a person is so loving disingenuous. That or you don't read half of what I write.

It's not about the men Pubbie.

Those men who were killed are just using their privilege to block some very relevant points about how society encourages violence against women and definitely not against men. There is no way you could go to a feminist board and find similar absurd, hateful statements.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Typical Pubbie posted:

Oh My God, I never made a judgment on whether he was primarily motivated to kill by misogyny. My contention has always been with the supposed motivation behind the men he targeted.

Yes, I addressed that in my last post to you, why it is a bad argument, and why you should not keep repeating it. Repetition of a bad argument does not make it any better through practice.

Without any reason whatsoever other than "he's crazy" you completely rejected the murderer's written confession as to why he killed his roommates in order to spin your own fantasy tale which is much more aligned to your politics. You then cited his murder of a male stranger, killed during a random shooting spree, as further evidence that his manifesto cannot be trusted. This is a very stupid argument.

Typical Pubbie posted:

You keep talking as if I haven't acknowledged the relevance of misogyny in the killing spree or in who Rodger was as a person is so loving disingenuous. That or you don't read half of what I write.

I keep talking because I am bored and seeking amusement in reading how twisted and defensive you'll get before you quit the thread.

Yes, you have said mysoginy is a problem. Congratulations for you, we're all very proud. You also keep saying that we are insisting mysoginy is the only motivator, which is false and nobody said that. You're selectively disregarding evidence to construct a feminist strawman that you can be angry at, which is funny because I like this kind of thing, which is why I post here. Are there any other extremely simple things I can explain at you?

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 28, 2014

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

EasternBronze posted:

It's not about the men Pubbie.

Those men who were killed are just using their privilege to block some very relevant points about how society encourages violence against women and definitely not against men. There is no way you could go to a feminist board and find similar absurd, hateful statements.

Are you for real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013
Since you all appeared to miss this post, I'm gonna quote it here so you can see where I outline how misogyny harms men too, like it did in this case:

Yes. And by the time society evolved past needing to utilize violence on a daily basis and power became softer, consolidating power into male hands had already occurred. This is why you see all kinds of bullshit biological rationales for why women can't do all kinds of poo poo men do. They can't work because they have to raise babies. They can't be scientists because their brains are smaller. They can't be in the military because they're too weak. These are all things that men do, and conveniently by doing those things they maintain control over politics, money, households, countries, etc.

This is how gender norms are formed, as fake-biological rationales for maintaining male power. But all of these gender norms begin as a way of codifying the subjugation of women by defining the gender responsibilities as distinct. It's why toxic masculinity is a concept, which requires that men have to be aggressive and dominating and sexually successful and wealthy. Because being submissive and weak is a female trait. And why receiving treatment for mental illness has been difficult for men to seek out, because it shows weakness and weakness is not a male trait. Dismantling gender norms that harm women also dismantles gender norms that harm men, because they are inextricably tied to one another, so much so that male gender norms are dependent on defining a man as non-female. So when people talk about "why isn't feminism humanism anyway?:smug:" it's just ridiculous. The issues MRAs claim to be in support of, more support for male domestic violence victims, more acknowledgment of male rape victims, better egalitarian split of custody during divorce, etc. are all issues that feminists have worked towards improving. The reason these issues exist in the first place is due to gender norms that say that women are weak and men are aggressive (so men can't be victims of domestic violence), that men are sexually aggressive and women are sexually submissive (so female on male rape is not taken seriously), and that women are responsible for child rearing and men are responsible for working (so the tendency is to see custody awarded to the mother).

So that's patriarchy. It's the cultural gender norms that consolidate and maintain power in male hands by perpetuating the stereotypes of male and female traits, and punishes people who don't conform to those traits. Misogyny plays a role because in order to elevate yourself as a man above women, and define yourself as not being in possession of female traits, you have to see the traits they embody as harmful and bad. If you see female traits as harmful and bad, it's not a stretch to see women as harmful and bad, especially when our society displays women as disposable sex objects. Elliot Rodger was a victim of patriarchy because he felt that to be a successful male he needed the trappings of successful maleness: money, a woman, expensive status possessions. When he didn't have them, he became angry and his anger was directed at women, the only thing he was lacking out of the required possessions of a successful man. His entire life became defined by his lacking in this one area, and his entire existence defined by not having the hot blonde girlfriend.

Not that this will stop all the bullshit about how feminists hate men and we just want to see the bodies pile up, but whatever.

• Locked thread