Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

The Biggest Jerk posted:

So what's the key to blocking guys. I always feel like I've almost got it, but I never get it

If you don't have a big reach/ height advantage, the best way is to play bad defense: always leave your man in the post to try to block someone else(blocking a guy who is getting fouled is always a guaranteed block), leave them the baseline and block the reverse layup, and let them blow by you and block it from behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

cisneros posted:

If you don't have a big reach/ height advantage, the best way is to play bad defense: always leave your man in the post to try to block someone else(blocking a guy who is getting fouled is always a guaranteed block), leave them the baseline and block the reverse layup, and let them blow by you and block it from behind.

You. I hate you in pickup.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012

The Biggest Jerk posted:

So what's the key to blocking guys. I always feel like I've almost got it, but I never get it

You shouldn't really be blocking any shots if your guy is an isolation against you. Unless your guy is really terrible. Against anybody reasonably good, you'll get pump faked and dribbled past, or pump faked, and then a give and go. Blocking is all about help defense. Eye the guys on the other team who are bad passers, dribble with their head down, or are just drat dedicated to shooting the ball regardless of the situation. You can generally help off your guy if you are close by and block them from behind. The best block in the world is the guy going for the reverse layup. Jump before you think you need to, as a lot of guys really whip the ball on a reverse layup. Pin it to the backboard or slam it off the backboard and feel gigantic. I'm 6' with long-rear end arms, so that helps for typical pickup games.

The few times I'll block my guy in a game (if he's not garbage) is if I'm guarding some waterbug little guy who has a general routine or something where they shake a bigger guy loose and shoot a jump shot. That's just about agility, anticipation, keeping your feet until the right moment, and hopefully having long arms.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

You're not playing against NBA players. Everyone out there has tendencies that are very easy to pick up on after one game. Time it right and you'll have your magical block

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Unless you are a big dude, don't worry about blocking shots. Just contest the shot by having a hand up. If you are a big dude and/or have long arms, just notice where your guy's release point is and put a hand up at that spot when they get into a shooting motion.

Being 6'4" and having a big wingspan helps, too. Last time I played I matched up on a guy that had killed the previous team because he had a nice shot in rhythm from the right wing 3 point area, so the first time he went for it against me, I just got a fingertip on it so it was short, and after somebody on my team said I blocked it, he started talking trash about how he was going to hit the next one in my eye. So the next time he tried to use a pick to get to that same spot, I slipped the screen and stuffed him.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I had that dude yesterday. Trash talker who ran the other team off the court and got pissed because I wouldn't let him shoot easy threes on the right side of the arch when my team faced him. After the first missed shot he told me he'd sink one right in my face if I tried that again.

Catches the ball in front of the arch, dribbles backwards like J.R., said "watch" to me as he shot it, and I watched it hit the top of the backboard and dribble off into the trees.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Doltos posted:

I had that dude yesterday. Trash talker who ran the other team off the court and got pissed because I wouldn't let him shoot easy threes on the right side of the arch when my team faced him. After the first missed shot he told me he'd sink one right in my face if I tried that again.

Catches the ball in front of the arch, dribbles backwards like J.R., said "watch" to me as he shot it, and I watched it hit the top of the backboard and dribble off into the trees.

I always find as soon as a shooter starts saying poo poo like "watch this" or "come here" I should just give him plenty of room and let him launch it, because he will almost never hit that poo poo. Responding to dude's dumb trash talk with condescension is the best way to gently caress with him

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
When they miss that is when you take your opportunity to call him a clown.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doltos posted:

You. I hate you in pickup.

Does he always swat you or something? :v:

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
So, what's a travel? Apparently, it's a reason to argue for ten minutes when everyone else on the court - including the four others on your team - disagree with you. Then refuse to play when everyone else says we're not going to call the travel and the other team gets the ball. Despite it being 10-7 playing to 11. And this wasn't some high school kid -- someone told me he was 28 years old. The game never finished, because he wouldn't back down and a few people got sick of it and left. Pick up basketball!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sounds about right.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
If anyone has interest my brother and I are hosting our third annual charity three in three tournament on June 14th on City Island in the Bronx. Last year we had about 35 participants and another 30-40 spectators. Indoor gym, though slightly undersized, but lots of fun and we go drink lots afterwards.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I can definitely get a team together. What's the competition like? As long as it's not all 6'5 former D1 players, then I'm in. Doltos, you live in NY right? I challenge your team to a goon-off.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

RCarr posted:

I can definitely get a team together. What's the competition like? As long as it's not all 6'5 former D1 players, then I'm in. Doltos, you live in NY right? I challenge your team to a goon-off.

Fuckin I'm 5'9 and have no outside shot but if you don't mind I'll show up and be underwhelming.

Also drat you AU, you live and operate in the exact places in NYC that are a schlep to get to.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm 5'9 too and I am one of the worst shooters you'll ever meet. I took one 3 when I played yesterday and the other team was actually really pissed that it went in, because they know I can't shoot for poo poo.

I somehow developed a pretty good post game and can hit a hook shot from anywhere inside 10 feet. Don't ask me to make a free throw though. My game is really weird. When I lose my athleticism I'm going to be the old dude who does nothing but take hook shots without leaving the ground.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 28, 2014

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Doltos posted:

Fuckin I'm 5'9 and have no outside shot but if you don't mind I'll show up and be underwhelming.

Also drat you AU, you live and operate in the exact places in NYC that are a schlep to get to.

I know, I wish we had a train here. There is a parking lot though!

RCarr posted:

Last year we had one team that brought a 6'5" former d3 player, who was by far the best player there but it was a really exhausting competition and they finished second. Otherwise it is basically like, your average pick up squads at the park. The winning team was just really well-rounded, not dominant in any way, so the competition level was actually awesome. I'm 6'1" and was like the fourth tallest person there. Also considering doing a three point shootout if we have time.

We also got moving late this year so the crowd might be smaller, but if everything is the same we did $40/person entry (it will be $50 or less for sure), winnings split between team and charity (although the winning team last year also split their purse with the charity additionally), and I think we're gonna have food there. Teams can be 3-5, and you can sub freely on dead balls. Teams with more dudes tended to be watered down, so I think it evened out with being a bit fresher.

Last year we gave to a family with a 1-year old who needed a bone marrow transplant. This year I think we are putting together a scholarship for pre-k. We also give some to the local church because it is their gym they let us use freely.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sounds really cool. I talked to my buddies and we will definitely be coming.

Do you hang out and drink at the park afterwards or meet up at a bar or something?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
You're a good guy AU

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

RCarr posted:

Sounds really cool. I talked to my buddies and we will definitely be coming.

Do you hang out and drink at the park afterwards or meet up at a bar or something?

Last year it went from like 1-5:30PM I think, I cleaned up, we changed and went out to a bar, my brother worked out a thing where he got to bartend and donated the tips and we got cheap drinks and stuff, so hopefully the same deal.

Doltos posted:

You're a good guy AU

The charity is fake and I'm using proceeds to keep up my baller lifestyle.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I spend $200 dollars a week on sweat bands for my forehead, forearms, biceps, elbows, knees, and ankles.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

not to be all poor person, but how much is the donation for charity? I'm down, but am also pretty broke atm

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Doltos posted:

I spend $200 dollars a week on sweat bands for my forehead, forearms, biceps, elbows, knees, and ankles.

BALLBALLBALLBALLBALLBALLBALLBALLBALLBALLBALLBALL

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

doltos meekly screams and-1 as a rough hack sends 4 sweatbands to the ground

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I throw voracious elbows that are so padded that you think you're in a pillow fight

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

mynameisjohn posted:

not to be all poor person, but how much is the donation for charity? I'm down, but am also pretty broke atm

Whatever the entry fee ends up, which I think is $40 I am just waiting to hear from my brother, is it. Winning team and charity split the sum of the entrance fees at the end. Last year I think the tournament made about 1200 bucks, plus we made money selling things and doing raffles and from tips at the bar. So winning team of 3 dudes made 200 a person. They gave 100 each back in, though that is not a necessary thing at all.

I'm broke too but I plan on winning so it doesn't matter :colbert:

Doltos posted:

My brother and a friend of mine seem to be in an unspoken competition to wear the most total and most garish accessories. If they look like goofballs when we play tonight I'm taking their picture.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

okay I'm in. Can you PM me any additional details I might need?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Played some full court with a bunch of young fellas this past weekend. Like 18-20 year old kids that play all kind of sports, and here I am, 27 and a smoker. I understand Andre Miller now. All making outlet passes and letting them run and making ridiculous up and under layups and floaters. I even called a tough bank and drained it, that poo poo never works.

Question also, what is the best shoe for me to buy if I primarily play outside and am pretty poor?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

There's plenty of shoes out there that are fine. I've been using the Derrick Rose Adidas, and aside from a day or two of blisters from breaking them in, they are great.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I use crappy generic black shoes I bought from Pay Less for 10 bucks. They haven't failed me yet.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Brolander posted:

Played some full court with a bunch of young fellas this past weekend. Like 18-20 year old kids that play all kind of sports, and here I am, 27 and a smoker. I understand Andre Miller now. All making outlet passes and letting them run and making ridiculous up and under layups and floaters. I even called a tough bank and drained it, that poo poo never works.

Question also, what is the best shoe for me to buy if I primarily play outside and am pretty poor?

If you play outside then don't spend a lot on shoes. You'll wear them down quickly. Go on Amazon and get last year's models if you still want brand names. They should only be like $50 or so.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I unironically loved the Starbury's that sold for $20. When I was in college I would just buy a pair of those once every couple months. I wish they were still available.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

RCarr posted:

I unironically loved the Starbury's that sold for $20. When I was in college I would just buy a pair of those once every couple months. I wish they were still available.

hosed up my ankles in those but I hear good things from other people.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
If there's a Nike outlet anywhere near you and you care about having ~cool looking shoes~, you can find some for pretty cheap there. Or Amazon like Bizort said.

I spent too much money on

They're kind of annoying to lace up because the strap gets in the way, but man are they comfortable. I tried on some KDs when I was getting them and I have no idea how anyone wears them to play basketball. They feel so weird.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

hyperdunks are the best all around shoe on the market imo

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

RCarr posted:

Me too, and mine actually lasted forever, even with a lot of outdoor use.

My current shoes pretty much exploded, the soles came off both and there are tears all over, so I glued everything back together and they've held up for the past month. Maybe I'll buy Starburys on ebay.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I look for them on Ebay from time to time, but it's hard to spend $40 with shipping on a shoe that cost $20 8 years ago.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I realized early on in college that I suck and dribbling and shooting and don't play basketball enough to want to work on them. My strategy whenever my friends want to play pickup is to be pretty good on defense and excellent at swing passes. I take one terrible shot at the start of the game so the other team knows I can't shoot and they eventually sag off me until I'm stupidly wide open for some clutch threes at the end of the game.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Doltos posted:

Yeah that dude probably isn't a "shooter" in the literal sense. I take 3 point shooting to be a craft and have spent years honing my stroke and its mechanics. I'm so focused on the rim when I release and all the motions of my body that lead up to it. I don't think I could talk trash leading up to or during a 3 if I tried. Even afterwords I find it to be poor form. Just start running backwords and get back on defense.

Accident Underwater posted:

If anyone has interest my brother and I are hosting our third annual charity three in three tournament on June 14th on City Island in the Bronx. Last year we had about 35 participants and another 30-40 spectators. Indoor gym, though slightly undersized, but lots of fun and we go drink lots afterwards.

Sounds fun as hell. Wish I wasn't in San Diego.

thompson fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 29, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

thompson posted:

Yeah that dude probably isn't a "shooter" in the literal sense. I take 3 point shooting to be a craft and have spent years honing my stroke and its mechanics. I'm so focused on the rim when I release and all the motions of my body that lead up to it. I don't think I could talk trash leading up to or during a 3 if I tried. Even afterwords I find it to be poor form. Just start running backwords and get back on defense.

He totally was a shooter, at least better than anyone on the court that day. His team completely ran the other team off before me with only 7-8 possessions since he nailed five threes (we count threes as 2's and play to 12).

I just put my hand in his face and he flustered himself trying to talk poo poo. Not anything special, he just got himself mad. I also had a crazy rear end 6' Spanish dude that was nailing flying reverse layups like a somebody and no one on the 'shooters' team could guard him, so he was getting pissed and running his mouth at that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

6' spanish dude who only makes reverse layups is a classic NYC park trope

• Locked thread