Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
A game where you shake a Refreshing Can of Coca ColaTM, then open it at some guy's face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
A game where you put treasure into treasure chests for RPG heroes to find.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
A game where you help Scruff McGruff take a bite out of crime. Every time I see your name, Mr. McQuack, I can't help but think of the old Scruff McGruff commercials and substitute 'Squack McQuack' in for 'Scruff McGruff' in the jingle.

For those of you who didn't watch TV during the very specific period of time these ran:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwUnXad_3fE

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

You should make one for all the VGCW fans out there: escape Gabe Newell's Wallet Squeeze. (as demonstrated below the spoiler)

In the same vein, he should make a game where SLEEPWISE EATS ALL THE GLASS

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Lord_Ventnor posted:

A game where you put treasure into treasure chests for RPG heroes to find.

A game where you are a mimic and have to wait for an adventurer to approach before attacking. (Okay, so I'm basically stealing this from Mimicry Man...)

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

Getsuya posted:

A game where you help Scruff McGruff take a bite out of crime. Every time I see your name, Mr. McQuack, I can't help but think of the old Scruff McGruff commercials and substitute 'Squack McQuack' in for 'Scruff McGruff' in the jingle.

For those of you who didn't watch TV during the very specific period of time these ran:

Well, you're spot-on. My name is taken from this video featuring Squack himself. Specifically this part. I think one of the people who made the video was a goon.

WARNING: I did not say that the linked video is a good video. It is not. It's mostly just an inside joke between my friend and I.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Sorry folks, no update this week. During my usual recording day I was at a bachelor party vomiting spicy Bloody Mary's. :)

This is why you always keep a backlog.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Make a game about it.

e: :ninja:

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 21, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Squack McQuack posted:

Sorry folks, no update this week. During my usual recording day I was at a bachelor party vomiting spicy Bloody Mary's. :)

This is why you always keep a backlog.

Bloody Marys and Bachlor Parties > LPing.
Hope you had a good time.

Now make a DIY game out of that.
[e]: OH YOU BASTARD^^

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The command text pops up and demands you "WHARF!"

A toilet spins around the screen. Gotta time it juuuust right.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I also vote for drunken Muhgray with vomit in his beard so now you must do it as per LP law.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
As I've made these games I have learned that it really helps to sketch it out first. It gives me an idea of what objects I need to make and how many art sets each should have. Here are the two I've made so far:

# 5 - "Buy! Sell!"

#6 - "Zandatsu"

Oh and yes, there will be a new episode tomorrow.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Here's the new episode! It had to be done.

Episode 7 - “Never Again” - Suggested by Mehuyael

Squack McQuack posted:

During my usual recording day I was at a bachelor party vomiting spicy Bloody Mary's. :)

Mehuyael posted:

Make a game about it.

e: :ninja:

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

I guess life really does imitate art.

Anyway, for another game idea, how about one based off of the Lady or the Tiger? Basic idea is, you have two doors, and you have to tap one. Behind one is a tiger that mauls you and makes you lose, behind the other is a lady and you win. Which door leads to the tiger would be, of course, randomized each time.

It would be edutiantional!

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Lord_Ventnor posted:

I guess life really does imitate art.

Anyway, for another game idea, how about one based off of the Lady or the Tiger? Basic idea is, you have two doors, and you have to tap one. Behind one is a tiger that mauls you and makes you lose, behind the other is a lady and you win. Which door leads to the tiger would be, of course, randomized each time.

It would be edutiantional!

Alternately, a game about preventing the Lady from burning down the building with her eye lasers.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

Robust Laser posted:

Alternately, a game about preventing the Lady from burning down the building with her eye lasers.

I would be totally fine seeing this game get made.

The T
May 29, 2010

I don't know if this would be too much to code in one game (file limits and all), but make it both:

Open a door.

If it's the tiger, you have to do something to stop the tiger.

If it's the lady, you have to stop the eyebeams.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

The T posted:

I don't know if this would be too much to code in one game (file limits and all), but make it both:

Open a door.

If it's the tiger, you have to do something to stop the tiger.

If it's the lady, you have to stop the eyebeams.

Seems like it'd be doable. Just stick a randomizer in there, if the switch is on you make the tiger appear, if it's off you make the lady appear. All the code for stopping them could be attached to the individual object, so you probably wouldn't need to check the randomizer again after that point.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Squack McQuack posted:

Here's the new episode! It had to be done.

Episode 7 - “Never Again” - Suggested by Mehuyael

Blawrghsome, you should be like Miyamoto and make more games based on stuff from your life.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
nthing The Lady Or The Tiger. Games need more of a literature pedigree.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Glazius posted:

nthing The Lady Or The Tiger. Games need more of a literature pedigree.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
New episode!

Episode 8 - “Chicago, IL” - Suggested by Getsuya

Getsuya posted:

I'm going to be away at a wedding for the next 5 days, so I'm not sure if there will be an episode next week.

Also, I had no idea what The Lady and the Tiger was so I gave it a read. I see where :lost: got its inspiration from.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"click on the bouncy thing" seems to be a pretty easy thing to make in WarioWare. Not that it's bad or anthing, just saying.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Idea: Pixel Hunt: The Game

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Glazius posted:

"click on the bouncy thing" seems to be a pretty easy thing to make in WarioWare. Not that it's bad or anthing, just saying.

Tap the thing is basically the only type of game that you can make in DIY. You can't even drag the thing, you can only tap it.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

Glazius posted:

You're absolutely right. While it's true that tapping on the screen is the only available input method, I need to use it in more creative ways (ex: Bitcoin game). I'll try to think of something different for next episode.

I was right when I said I wouldn't have time to make an episode for today. I was in Maryland at a friend's wedding during my usual recording days.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Hello. Remember me? I had a Let's Play a long time ago. Ages past. There won't be an episode today because I've been spending my time working on other stuff. Sorry. I'm sorry. Jeez, I screwed up man. I can't take it back. I'm so sorry. poo poo.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I just found this thread, but great idea! I thought about making an LP of the game a while ago as well, with different ideas to play around with. Did you ever consider streaming a session for live input?
Shame NWFC went down, otherwise I could share some of my minigames, since I don't have a way to record mine.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Squack McQuack posted:

Hello. Remember me? I had a Let's Play a long time ago. Ages past. There won't be an episode today because I've been spending my time working on other stuff. Sorry. I'm sorry. Jeez, I screwed up man. I can't take it back. I'm so sorry. poo poo.

How dare you not spend every waking moment playing video games for the internet, leaving no personal time whatsoever?

Make a game where you think about what you have done. Or do something else, it's your life.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Since I'm too lazy to go through the thread, I'm gonna go ahead and assume we haven't touched comics yet. Amongst games and songs, you can also make your own 4-panel comic strips in this WarioWare: DIY! Here's my only ever attempt to break into the elusive funny papers industry.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Squack McQuack posted:

Being late with updates is part of the job!

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007
Just tap/click on the game controller and microphone. :v:

The T
May 29, 2010

horriblePencilist posted:

Here's my only ever attempt to break into the elusive funny papers industry.

Slightly bothered that the art on this looks better than the source.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Since I'm too lazy to go through the thread, I'm gonna go ahead and assume we haven't touched comics yet. Amongst games and songs, you can also make your own 4-panel comic strips in this WarioWare: DIY! Here's my only ever attempt to break into the elusive funny papers industry.

Can this be a game? The game would stop on the last panel and the words "move past" and "heal" float by and you have to catch them.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

RedRupee posted:

Can this be a game? The game would stop on the last panel and the words "move past" and "heal" float by and you have to catch them.

I will agree that needs to be a Loss game

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

RedRupee posted:

I have actually made a collection of CAD-microgames.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Sorry about the doublepost, but I managed to record my CAD Collection in a quasi-acceptable fashion. Hope you like it more than Buckley would!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Hd52RGzfw

Currently working on a remake of your Zandatsu-game. I forgot how fun this game was!
If it interests anyone, back when I was planning formats for a potential LP of the ams, one idea was to invite pixel artists, have them come up with designs then make a mini game using their assets while discussing aspects of pixel art.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

I just found this thread, but great idea! I thought about making an LP of the game a while ago as well, with different ideas to play around with. Did you ever consider streaming a session for live input?

This is a neat idea!

Pyroi posted:

How dare you not spend every waking moment playing video games for the internet, leaving no personal time whatsoever?

Make a game where you think about what you have done. Or do something else, it's your life.

OK!

Since I'm too lazy to go through the thread, I'm gonna go ahead and assume we haven't touched comics yet.

Yeah, I haven't used the comics feature at all. I think I still need to go through the mandatory tutorial on my save file, which means I will never see the comics feature.

The Sezza posted:

Just tap/click on the game controller and microphone. :v:

If only it were that easy. Don't you know that playing video games on camera is hard work?!

Sorry about the doublepost, but I managed to record my CAD Collection in a quasi-acceptable fashion. Hope you like it more than Buckley would!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Hd52RGzfw

Hoooly poo poo these are amazing. So THIS is what the game can do with a talented person controlling it.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
squack how does it feel to have your let's play spotlight stolen by CAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

CAD games are rad but squack is rad as well. This is a good thread.

• Locked thread