Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

4th Horseman posted:

Also does anyone know any good mods for Dragon Age that make the game more enjoyable?

I want to start a new game since I lost my old saves and I plan on going through every piece of story DLC in 1 and 2 before 3 hits.

I know someone already linked you to a list of mods, but I thought I'd share my own. This has no mod conflicts whatsoever. Divided into Bugfixes and actual Mods:

Bugfixes
Awakening Quest fixes: This fixes two buggy quests in the expansion.
Baroness Reward fix: This fixes a quest reward bug in Awakening.
Bergen's Honor fix: This fixes a minor graphical bug with the bonus helmet you get with the Collector's / Digital Deluxe edition.
Blackblade Drop fix:This makes a piece of high-end equipment that wasn't dropping properly in Awakening drop.
Cailan Helm fix: If you have Cailan's armour from Return to Ostagar, you can import it into Awakening but the texture will be bugged. Here's a fix for that.
Damage statistic fix:The in-game journal keeps a record of each character's Damage Dealt and Contribution to Party Damage numbers, but it's bugged without this fix.
Dialog Tweaks: Fixes a number of bugged conversations. The second of the really important fixes on this list.
DLC import tool: Allows you to import all DLC items into Awakening. Less fiddly than the one Raygereio linked to.
Dragon Age Rules Fixpack: The core combat mechanics in DA are hilariously broken, there are so many rules fixes in this pack. :siren: If you only install one mod, it should be this one. :siren: One warning, though: It also includes a number of unnecessary tweaks. Check the readme carefully before you install it.
Golem Registry and Shaper's Life fix: Fixes two broken quest rewards in Origins.
Jowan's Intention quest fix: Fixes a bugged quest in Origins.
Make console commands visible: This ensures you can see what you're typing when you use the dev console.
Manually set plot flags: This mod allows you to manually check and modify plot flags, but I only use it to get a 100% complete codex, which is otherwise impossible.
Morrigan Restoration patch: Fixes a number of bugged dialogues with Morrigan.
Stolen gear fix: This fixes a major bug in Awakening where you can permanently lose all your equipped gear.
Unobtainable item fix: This restores a lot of items in Origins that you were supposed to be able to get but couldn't.
Vigilance/Starfang fix: If you have Warden's Keep active, the best swords in the game will look identical. Here's a fix for that. The page linked has a DLC fix tool, but ignore it and just grab the Vigilance fix.
Werewolf eye fix: Fixes a graphics bug with the former werewolves.
Yuriah's third upgrade fix: The merchant Yuriah in Awakening is supposed to upgrade his stock three times, but the third one doesn't work right. Fix here.
ZDF Dialog fix: Fixes too many dialog bugs to count. This is the third of the really important fixes.

Mods
AddItem script: This allows you to add items to your inventory with the dev console.
Advanced Party: This makes it so the game doesn't auto-assign stat and talent points. Very useful.
Advanced Tactics: This upgrades the tactics system from "passable" to "actually good".
Chargen Package: Adds a few new appearance options during character creation. There's more content-rich examples of this type of mod, but I like this particular one.
Console - Add Points: The cheater's best friend, allowing you to add attribute, skill, specialization and talent points with the developer console. I can't enjoy this game without it.
Extra Dog Slot: This means your dog can come with you without taking up a party slot that would normally be given to a more useful party member. I didn't know that it screws with the Captured part of the game until Raygereio told me, because I never surrender. :smug:
Improved Follower Items: Each party member gets an item (usually an amulet, belt or ring) that only they can use. Problem is, those items are great for immersion but suck in actual gameplay. This mod improves those. Even better, you can choose just how powerful these items are, according to your personal preference. My advice: set it on "High power". It's the only way to make Sten's sword viable in the end-game. Bonus: It can give Warden's Oath amulets to other Wardens in your party.
Improved Origin Items: A companion to the mod above, this improves the PC-only items you get in the origins, as well as the Warden's Oath amulet you get when you complete the Joining. Like its twin, you can adjust the power of the items. :siren: Do not start a new game with this mod enabled, otherwise the mod will bug out. :siren: The right way to use it is to turn it off, start a new game, save, and then turn it back on.
No Automatic Deactivations: There are a few sustained abilities that turn off automatically when you're not in combat. I got thoroughly sick of having to keep re-enabling Blood Magic, so I grabbed this mod.
Quick Shapeshifting: Shapeshifting becomes instant. I don't use Shapeshifting, ever. I have no idea why I downloaded and installed this mod.
Qunari update: This changes Sten and the many kossith enemies so that they look like the DAII kossith.
Shady Dealings: This adds a merchant to your camp that sells all the recipes, plus an unlimited number of arrows and bolts (all types), books, crafting ingredients, and runes. Also a bunch of massively overpowered equipment. Make sure you download the Plus version. Useful for not having to run across the entire map for crafting supplies.
Storage Chest: This adds a storage chest to the party camp. Simple.
Sustainable Cooldown Remover:This removes all cooldowns from sustainable abilities. I don't know how I ever played without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Besides, even if 9/10 players kill him it's good to have the option to spare Loghain because it makes it more satisfying to kill him if it's an actual decision.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Furism posted:

I agree, although Zevran is kind of :rolleyes:.

What's wrong with Zevran? Other than that a mentally healthy person should not make a party member out of the guy who tried to kill you just seconds before.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Torrannor posted:

What's wrong with Zevran? Other than that a mentally healthy person should not make a party member out of the guy who tried to kill you just seconds before.

Wardens literally hear voices. They are not mentally healthy in the slightest.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The funny thing about going to the Circle to resolve the problem in Redcliffe is that you don't have to finish the Circle quest first. On my first playthrough, I went to see Eamon first and decided to go to the Circle. Then during that I was all fuuuck we can't afford this delay, better get to the top quick. Then I met the Sloth demon. I thought, well, that town is doomed for sure now. I get back after what must have been months assuming things would have gone to poo poo in the interim, nope, everything is how I left it. Pretty crazy.

Then it turns out Eamon is still in trouble and I have to track down a legendary religious relic. The poo poo I did for that man. :argh:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

That entire questline is really weird, considering that it SHOULD have been a no-win scenario, but the Circle option is so out of left field and the fact that it works just kind of shows that the Bioware writers aren't prepared to write an actual dark fantasy. Especially since in no other circumstance do you get the opportunity, or make the effort, to free someone from being an abomination. Personally I just always kill the kid because it is the most logical option in universe, rather than trying to go for the Hail Mary that because of travel time alone should not work.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The circle option is my least favorite thing about DA:O. They gave you this great gray-area choice as to how to resolve it, and then they give you a good-guy-hero-save-the-day option that makes the other choices "what flavor of rear end in a top hat do I feel like being?" Personally, I usually kill the mother; the entire situation is her fault, so she gets to pay the price for it.

A similar problem is when you have to choose between killing the elves, killing the werewolves, or being the good-guy-hero-saviour-of-the-day and breaking the curse and saving everybody hooray. Another hard choice rendered down into good-guy and rear end in a top hat choices. I hate it.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

EightDeer posted:

Quick Shapeshifting: Shapeshifting becomes instant. I don't use Shapeshifting, ever. I have no idea why I downloaded and installed this mod.

Shapeshifters make for excellent Primal nukers. Sink all stat points into Magic (since forms scale purely off that one stat), forget about crowd control and blow everything up, then shift and Overwhelm any pesky magic-resistant elites. I hope they bring back the spell that turns you into a swarm of bees, that was a fun mechanic.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Promethium posted:

Shapeshifters make for excellent Primal nukers. Sink all stat points into Magic (since forms scale purely off that one stat), forget about crowd control and blow everything up, then shift and Overwhelm any pesky magic-resistant elites. I hope they bring back the spell that turns you into a swarm of bees, that was a fun mechanic.

I used swarm form as a survival tool a number of times, especially with those nasty archer fights in the city. I didn't even pretend to go all optimal on my first run, and I picked shifter kind of on a lark. Swarm form was really the only good thing.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Taegen or however you spell the name says that the journey to the tower is like a days trip, so at most you would be gone for 3 days(unless you dicked around and instead went over to the forest or whatever), and that's including the whole fade experience. I just assumed that the last big attack on the village and you going through and killing all the zombies in the castle severely limited what the pride demon could possess to attack the village.

It's kinda dumb that they added in the option to go to the circle because that is objectively the right choice, but at the same time most of the other areas of the game also has an objectively right choice too, like getting that elf dude to release the werewolf curse. The only actual morally grey part of the game is the dwarfs, where siding with the nicer dude just makes things stay lovely for alot of people.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

It's kinda dumb that they added in the option to go to the circle because that is objectively the right choice, but at the same time most of the other areas of the game also has an objectively right choice too, like getting that elf dude to release the werewolf curse. The only actual morally grey part of the game is the dwarfs, where siding with the nicer dude just makes things stay lovely for alot of people.

That situation gets even worse if you're a dwarf commoner (at least a guy one, dunno what happens for a woman dwarf) because your sister ends up as the mistress (or maybe something less unsavory, its been a while) so siding with the nice guy who wants to keeps the casteless down where they belong just because he's "nice" also completely fucks your sister.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kibayasu posted:

That situation gets even worse if you're a dwarf commoner (at least a guy one, dunno what happens for a woman dwarf) because your sister ends up as the mistress (or maybe something less unsavory, its been a while) so siding with the nice guy who wants to keeps the casteless down where they belong just because he's "nice" also completely fucks your sister.

She's the mistress but, amusingly, I seem to recall her being the one point on which Bhelen is consistently a nice guy.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Kibayasu posted:

Actually, Bhelen is as Captain Oblivious put it, a pretty nice guy towards the dwarf commoner's sister even if she's just a mistress. He's a ruthless and cutthroat ruler, but that's just so he can incite changes in Orzammar that are for the better. And he does make things better for the casteless in the epilogue, where he makes the decision to let them take up arms so they have more manpower against the darkspawn.

You might be thinking about Harrowmont who's the "nice guy," but doesn't do poo poo to change the status quo of the dwarf kingdom if you choose him as the ruler.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Compendium posted:

Actually, Bhelen is as Captain Oblivious put it, a pretty nice guy towards the dwarf commoner's sister even if she's just a mistress. He's a ruthless and cutthroat ruler, but that's just so he can incite changes in Orzammar that are for the better. And he does make things better for the casteless in the epilogue, where he makes the decision to let them take up arms so they have more manpower against the darkspawn.

You might be thinking about Harrowmont who's the "nice guy," but doesn't do poo poo to change the status quo of the dwarf kingdom if you choose him as the ruler.

That's actually what I mean, if I didn't say so clearly enough.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The first time you meet Bhelen in the Orzammar plotline he kills a guy in the street while screaming like a six year old. Somehow he's the good choice while picking Anora over Alistair is the "bad" choice rofl

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Compendium posted:

Actually, Bhelen is as Captain Oblivious put it, a pretty nice guy towards the dwarf commoner's sister even if she's just a mistress.

Being a noble's mistress is a pretty good deal in Dwarven society, anyway, especially for the Casteless. You might get taken care of for life, and your children will inherit the noble's Caste and House. The Dwarf Noble origin is a good example of this, when you run into two "Noble Hunters" that want to get pregnant with a noble (you) or warrior's (Steve Blum) child.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kajeesus posted:

The first time you meet Bhelen in the Orzammar plotline he kills a guy in the street while screaming like a six year old. Somehow he's the good choice while picking Anora over Alistair is the "bad" choice rofl

How is picking Anora over Alistair a bad choice?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I like Alistair and all but he'd be a lovely king.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lotish posted:

he means it's considered the "morally bad" choice because Anora is actually a ruler and not a spineless toad like Alistair

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Picked up the Ultimate Edition of Origins during the Steam sale and finally finished Awakening and all the DLC. Awakening was underwhelming but about what I expected of a Bioware expansion pack, Leliana's Song and Darkspawn Chronicles were brief but entertaining and didn't outstay their welcome, I spent more time on the boss than in the rest of Golems of Agmarrak combined, and Witch Hunt was good, clean fun right up until Morrigan showed up. Worst character in the entire drat game and the game acted like it was very dramatic and sad that I chose to stab her.

I'm debating whether or not I want to pick up 2 now, as Inquisition looks promising and I'll be interested to see how many decisions carry over.

As for Anora and Alistair, I opted for hardening Alistair and having him marry Anora. I think they'll balance each other well and hardened Alistair is noted to be a good king. It also let Loghain redeem himself by killing the Archdemon and my Warden to continue her story.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you have to harden Alistair for him to be a good king

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I thought the best answer was to be a kingmaker and harden Alistair and force him to marry Anora. I mean, she's really taking one for the team by wedding him, but its just ten years until he goes mad with the taint, right? Just make one God child heir and spare and let him eventually kill himself in the deep roads and you have the throne all to yourself. Yeah?

Hopefully Al will be showing signs of being too old of a Grey Warden and Anora could be visiting just to watch Fantasy France burn in chaos. Maybe show up with an army to take some of the Fantasy Anjou for herself?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Being a noble's mistress is a pretty good deal in Dwarven society, anyway, especially for the Casteless. You might get taken care of for life, and your children will inherit the noble's Caste and House. The Dwarf Noble origin is a good example of this, when you run into two "Noble Hunters" that want to get pregnant with a noble (you) or warrior's (Steve Blum) child.

The way it works is that the child inherits the caste of their same sex parent. So if a noble hunter gives birth to a girl for example, that child's still boned.

KoB
May 1, 2009

epitasis posted:

:heysexy:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Alouicious posted:

he means it's considered the "morally bad" choice because Anora is actually a ruler and not a spineless toad like Alistair

I think they are referring to the fact that if you become chancellor to Anora (or spare Loghain for an Anora/Alistair pair ending) the ending notes that Anora basically vetos any and all of your ideas, while if Alistair rules (or if you kill loghain at the landsmeet for the pair ending) it's noted that the King's full support is behind the Grey Warden, and he's given a ton of influence over the nation. :v:

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I'm debating whether or not I want to pick up 2 now, as Inquisition looks promising and I'll be interested to see how many decisions carry over.

I found DA2 to be fun even with the constant re-use of areas, the VO of the characters I liked and some of the music made up for the problems of the game for the most part. But I'd say it's probly easier to watch a playthrough on youtube. I liked Da2 fine enough but not enough to get the dlc.

Anyhoo. None of that matters. DA3 is gonna have The Keep, it's in beta now and gonna be released about a month before the game comes out. The Keep allows a person to create a profile that supposedly will allow you to choose the outcome of all / most choices in DAO, DA2, and all the DLC. You make the profile, save it, and then can import that as your thing. There'll be default profiles in the game for people that don't want to use The Keep.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cleatcleat posted:

I found DA2 to be fun even with the constant re-use of areas, the VO of the characters I liked and some of the music made up for the problems of the game for the most part. But I'd say it's probly easier to watch a playthrough on youtube. I liked Da2 fine enough but not enough to get the dlc.

Anyhoo. None of that matters. DA3 is gonna have The Keep, it's in beta now and gonna be released about a month before the game comes out. The Keep allows a person to create a profile that supposedly will allow you to choose the outcome of all / most choices in DAO, DA2, and all the DLC. You make the profile, save it, and then can import that as your thing. There'll be default profiles in the game for people that don't want to use The Keep.

If any of the DLC lets me finally kill that viper Morrigan, I'm in. I really hate her and how much Bioware seems to adore her.

At least Alistair evens out when you force him to grow a pair and do the politically wise thing by marrying Anora but letting Loghain join the Grey Wardens.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

If any of the DLC lets me finally kill that viper Morrigan, I'm in. I really hate her and how much Bioware seems to adore her.

They only adore her because the the 'goth girl' of this series. I don't know whether you remember the verbal masturbation they had when they were making Jack - holy gently caress.

Although, in ME3 non-relationsihp Jack turned out to be a pretty cool character, sooo.....

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Oh my God I just started playing DAII and I hate everybody. Me, the person who was defending characters from DA:O.

Shut up, everyone, shut up, GOD.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Unless Morrigan is loving teaching literacy and magic control to poor orphans then I'm only going to remember what kind of drink/desert Bioware compared her to as my reason for why she's a bad pet favorite. Her only use in the story is to be evil God baby brood-mother, and last time I checked, that isn't even in the vicinity of strong character.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

epitasis posted:

This is a thing that never worked for me. I looked up how to do it, I did it correctly, he just insisted on being a whiny manchild anyway.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shugojin posted:

This is a thing that never worked for me. I looked up how to do it, I did it correctly, he just insisted on being a whiny manchild anyway.

Worked just fine for me in my run. Told him everyone's out for themselves, backed him up when he said he wanted to stand up for himself more, and bam. He even married Anora while letting Loghain into the Grey Wardens.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Cythereal posted:

Worked just fine for me in my run. Told him everyone's out for themselves, backed him up when he said he wanted to stand up for himself more, and bam. He even married Anora while letting Loghain into the Grey Wardens.

Which makes no loving sense, because his whole schtick is that he doesn't want to be king. never shuts up about how much he doesn't want to have to take on political responsibility. If you're telling him to "look out for [himself]" then he should be less inclined to play king.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xibanya posted:

Oh my God I just started playing DAII and I hate everybody. Me, the person who was defending characters from DA:O.

Shut up, everyone, shut up, GOD.

Remember, no one in the game deserves to live, so play the game accordingly. Full on sociopath sarcastic, knifing people in conversation whenever possible.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Xibanya posted:

Hi my name is Merill and I've been living in the city for 6 years now. I haven't figured out the concept of property yet and I don't know how to get home without using a ball of string.

COOKIEMONSTER fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 29, 2014

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Lotish posted:

The first time I played through, I was so baffled by Cailan that I went and replayed all the alternate character choices so that I'd get different bits of the story. Between Return to Ostragar and the other dialog, the story gets a whole lot more nuanced. It becomes clear that Anora is either barren or refusing to have kids, neither of which are good in a hereditary monarchy. After 5 years, she's being set aside in favor of Empress Celene. Celene is about the same age as Cailan, whereas Anora is much older. She is also a daddy's girl in every sense of the term; she essentially sticks him on the throne instead of assuming responsibilities herself. On one of the dialog exchanges, Cailan recognizes your accent, leading you to say he's pretty observant, for a king. His response is that his wife doesn't know that.

You realize that he's playing it close to the vest, letting his good nature and happy smile hide the fact that he's worked out a solution to his problems with Loghain and Anora. Loghain desperately wants to rule, either through his daughter or alone.

Alistair may be weak and whiny, but he will listen to others, whereas Anora will listen only to Loghain.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Khazar-khum posted:

The first time I played through, I was so baffled by Cailan that I went and replayed all the alternate character choices so that I'd get different bits of the story. Between Return to Ostragar and the other dialog, the story gets a whole lot more nuanced. It becomes clear that Anora is either barren or refusing to have kids, neither of which are good in a hereditary monarchy. After 5 years, she's being set aside in favor of Empress Celene. Celene is about the same age as Cailan, whereas Anora is much older. She is also a daddy's girl in every sense of the term; she essentially sticks him on the throne instead of assuming responsibilities herself. On one of the dialog exchanges, Cailan recognizes your accent, leading you to say he's pretty observant, for a king. His response is that his wife doesn't know that.

You realize that he's playing it close to the vest, letting his good nature and happy smile hide the fact that he's worked out a solution to his problems with Loghain and Anora. Loghain desperately wants to rule, either through his daughter or alone.

Alistair may be weak and whiny, but he will listen to others, whereas Anora will listen only to Loghain.

Like, none of this holds true over the course of the entire game tho

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Why is there so much spermjacking in origins?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Khazar-khum posted:

Cailan is a manchild who's father was a notorious poonhound and would rather have a grand adventure then rule, and passed said cavalier attitude onto his son. Anora also more or less ran the kingdom for Cailan, and would rather rule in her name then from the shadows including allowing her father to die, so I don't know where you're getting "daddy's girl" from.

Also, Anora wasn't that much older then Cailan, like maybe 2-3 years, not 10-15 like you're implying. Plus, the whole Calian/Celene thing was being pushed forward by Arl Eamon who didn't like Loghain (a commoner) having any sort of influence in the royal court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I can't remember right now, but why wasn't Arl Eamon at Ostagar? Coincidence? :tinfoil:

• Locked thread