Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

epitasis posted:

We'll see who's truly better when Styles and Yujiro face off against Ishii and Okada at Dominion!! I hope Yujiro goes Full Gaijin and drops gratuitous f-bombs.

That match has assloads of potential, Takahashi is the worst of the 4 and he's quite competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

All I want to know is if Iikuza will continue to deface the announcer dude. That really makes the B shows worth watching.

Aj Styles is a great wrestler but we've been spoiled to death by Okada/Tanahashi's straight up and down battles. The jump in ring interference stuff really detracts from a solid main event.

coconono fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 27, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ishii has having an incredible year. He's probably my WotY right now, he's stealing the show every night he wrestles.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Its still a little early to call Most Outstanding Wrestler, but Ricochet has been crushing it in Dragon Gate, PWG, etc...

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Either Ishii or Jimmy Susumu are my Most Outstanding at this point. Ishii has the rare Necro Butcher "someone's about to get hosed up" aura that you don't see enough today.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Either Ishii or Jimmy Susumu are my Most Outstanding at this point. Ishii has the rare Necro Butcher "someone's about to get hosed up" aura that you don't see enough today.

Plus they're really working at KEEPING that aura. I mean, AFAIK, no-one's kicked out of the Ishii Driller.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Its a shame he won't be able to walk or talk coherently by the time he turns 40.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

You guys are literally high if you think anyone outside the Yum Yum wrestling dynasty is going to get Most Outstanding

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Plus they're really working at KEEPING that aura. I mean, AFAIK, no-one's kicked out of the Ishii Driller.

How many times has he even done that?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

coconono posted:

Its a shame he won't be able to walk or talk coherently by the time he turns 40.

Eh, I think he can make it a year and a half. I was surprised too when I found out how old he is.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Isn't Dominion supposed to be a big show for NJPW? Or am I misremembering? Fale vs Nakamura isn't exactly main event calibre to me.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Isn't Dominion supposed to be a big show for NJPW? Or am I misremembering? Fale vs Nakamura isn't exactly main event calibre to me.

It was a big show the last couple years with a title change in 2012 and a incredibly hot crowd last year. It doesn't seem to be considered at the same level as their Sumo Hall shows though. I personally wish they'd have AJ defend against Naito or Ishii, although I get why they're cutting back on IWGP defenses and main eventing shows with the IC. As you said, Fale as Nakamura's opponent doesn't have quite the same pull as Tanahashi when the IC headlined Invasion Attack.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

flashy_mcflash posted:

You guys are literally high if you think anyone outside the Yum Yum wrestling dynasty is going to get Most Outstanding

I hope Bruce Tharpe brings in Little Daddy Yum Yum to bring glory to the NJPW midget division (which he will also bring in).

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Thauros posted:

Eh, I think he can make it a year and a half. I was surprised too when I found out how old he is.

Well god drat he's 38. Talk about a late bloomer.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ishii seems to have done that NJPW thing where he's generic for a really long time then overnight becomes incredible.

See also: Okada, Nakamura, Tanahashi.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Ishii was Riki Choshu's whipping boy for over 10 years and only really stepped out in the last couple of years. Apparently that 2012 match with Goto for the IC title I posted a page or two ago was his first title shot in NJPW despite being there since 2004.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I think I'd rank Styles #2 for best wrestler of the year behind Ishii and put Adam Cole at #3. Styles has a good chance of having a better second half as I think his NJPW matches will get longer and he'll have more ROH main events.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

New Japan just posted some kind of apology on their web site (and will say more this evening), all I can gather is that Taichi did something stupid (because the translated text is a whole lot of apologizing without specifying what happened). So we'll wait and see!

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Looks like they added an iPPV for the Kizuna Road show on 6/29. That's 5 iPPVs from 5/30 to 6/29. I'm starting to think they're going to the well too often.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Dunbar posted:

Looks like they added an iPPV for the Kizuna Road show on 6/29. That's 5 iPPVs from 5/30 to 6/29. I'm starting to think they're going to the well too often.

They definitely are but I love it.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

harperdc posted:

New Japan just posted some kind of apology on their web site (and will say more this evening), all I can gather is that Taichi did something stupid (because the translated text is a whole lot of apologizing without specifying what happened). So we'll wait and see!

Enuhito mentioned that Tanahashi had a response on his personal blog trying to smooth over what happened without saying what happened & telling whomever apologized to cheer up. No mention of Taichi though.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/hbkidcool/archives/51949164.html

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Dunbar posted:

I think having two big shows in May was overkill, but the rest make sense. The first three are for their Super Junior tournament, one's their normal monthly big arena show in Osaka, and Korakuen shows are always on PPV. Only one's actually their standard domestic market PPV. The main Kizuna Road show is in Fukushima on 7/13.

Obviously few are actially going to buy all five, but the alternative is the company not making any money off the foreign audience at all and it being potentially very difficult for us to see them.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 28, 2014

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Enuhito mentioned that Tanahashi had a response on his personal blog trying to smooth over what happened without saying what happened & telling whomever apologized to cheer up. No mention of Taichi though.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/hbkidcool/archives/51949164.html

I'm thinking Taichi did something scandalous with a lady, and Tana's trying to give him a pat on the back, a "don't worry, we've been there, it happens" sort of thing.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'll be interested to see what they do with the G-1 as far as iPPV. 5 iPPVs from 5/30 to 6/29, and then possibly 2 more before 7/13 (another Korakuen show and the Fukushima tour end show). Then the G-1 runs from 7/21 to 8/10. Last year they made you pay for the entire G-1 package for $150. I've been going through and watching the entire thing recently, and it's been a ton of fun, so I hope they make it a little easier this time. That could potentially be 7 iPPVs plus the entire G-1 (12 shows) in ~2.5 months.

I have to say I was a bigger fan of the 1 big show (and possibly 2) per month.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The Korakuen "Road to" shows are generally skippable unless you're a diehard or there's a certain matchup you really want to see. They're just one of many similar house show cards leading up to their big monthly show, just that they make the ones from Korakuen available on Ustream. Even I admit to waiting for them to show up on DM a lot of the time. It's not like there's more you need to follow, they're just making more stuff available which is a good thing in my book.

If you're willing to spend money on two shows for the next month I'd recommend Dominion and the finals to the BOSJ.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

only the $25 shows are must see shows, occasionally the lower tier cards will have something must see on them.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
It's super diluted at this point. Dragon Gate has their monthly Korauken Hall show and their five ppvs a year on Ustream and it seems to work for them/viewers. I wonder how much of this is New Japan making an iPPV all their live shows that are usually on cable.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If they're already filming these and putting it on ustream isn't terribly expensive, you might as well stick them up there and get a few buys out of it.

I suppose you can argue that not doing that makes the big shows more special, but I don't really see that as an issue considering it's an extremely niche market here to begin with.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

plus Ustream takes less of a cut than pay to air TV deals or traditional PPV providers. When I was looking at Ustream, it was stupid cheap to stream. They'd have to do in the low hundreds of buys before streaming on iPPV is a loss.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If NJPW's revenue wasn't up a billion percent in the first few months of the year you could argue all the iPPVs are a bad idea. It might even be a bad idea long term, but it seems like the audience for these things gets difference between big shows and small shows.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
If it's an iPPV I'm much more likely to watch it vs. it being uploaded to Dailymotion. I'm not really sure why.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Bard Maddox posted:

AJ Styles is wrestler of the year for too sweeting a camera in the middle of a match.

Too sweet me PSP.

sorry im late, too sweet bard maddox

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

masato tatanka posted:

Cards

Korakuen Hall (May 30th)
  • Mascara Dorada vs. TAKA Michinoku - A BLOCK
  • Tiger Mask IV vs. Rocky Romero - B BLOCK
  • El Desperado vs. Taichi - B BLOCK
  • Jushin Thunder Liger vs. BUSHI - A BLOCK
  • CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HASHI & Jado) vs. Bullet Club ("Machine Gun" Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows, Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga & Yujiro Takahashi)
  • Ricochet vs. Alex Koslov - A BLOCK
  • Alex Shelley vs. Nick Jackson - B BLOCK
  • KUSHIDA vs. Matt Jackson - A BLOCK
  • Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Kenny Omega - B BLOCK
How to watch: iPPV on USTREAM ($15)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I assume the 10-man will main event the show?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

http://www.njpw.co.jp/english/match/card.php?e=843

Nope, main is Taguchi vs. Omega.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Observer's out:

Ishii vs Ibushi netted a well deserved ****3/4 and Dave said that Ishii has to be the Most Outstanding Wrestler of the Year so far.

The #1 contender tag match got ****, and Okada/Styles ****1/2

Dave noted the bad gate and says that there's now internal worrying over booking the Seibu Dome for the G-1 final. He seems skeptical that they can continue their run of success without Tanahashi able to be the guy and questions whether Styles will ever be able to get over with Japanese crowds. Their next test will be to see if a Nakamura/Fale match can sell out the normally hot Osaka market.

One thing I will disagree with him on is that I thought the Yokohama crowd sounded pretty drat good considering its size in such a big building.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 29, 2014

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Jerusalem posted:

BOSJ group stage cards usually have a tag with the tour's non-junior contingent in the middle to break things up a bit. The focus stays on the juniors though, this is the one annual tour where they get to shine and main event shows.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I wouldn't let the Yokohama gate worry me about the Seibu show for the G-1 Final. They probably overreached with Yokohama, having the IWGP title held by a foreigner wrestling only his 2nd match in New Japan this year, and having Tanahashi and Nakamura in matches that didn't exactly fire the imagination. Plus the loving Gracies were involved in key matches. The G-1 is always a huge deal obviously, and if it's anything close to what it was last year, it'll be a great tourney. Also, I think spacing the shows out more is going to build anticipation for the final better than usual. When they do the 9 shows in 11 days run, if you get busy for a few days or have to travel (or whatever) and miss the results from a few shows, you can miss the results of 20+ matches. And if AJ is going to continue to be part of the mix, by the time the G-1 is here, he'll have had 3+ months for the New Japan crowds to get used to him. Hell, maybe making a solid run through the G-1 could help cement his spot. I would have liked to see the reactions to AJ in an alternate universe where he went over Okada completely clean twice. I haven't been able to catch the Yokohama show yet (going to try to catch it this weekend) but the crowd at Fukuoka clearly was not into all the outside interference.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The crowd in Fukuoka isn't as good as Osaka or Tokyo, and Yokohama was a bit of an empty building because things built up for that show really quickly and with questionable match choices, and it still turned into an okay show and even the Gracie matches were alright. The G1 Climax Final is on a Sunday afternoon at 3 pm local time, so they miiiiiiiight get some live TV coverage in Japan, which would be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

My girlfriend came in and said AJ Styles is "nasty looking" so that's probably why he draws so poorly.

• Locked thread