Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Major_JF posted:

It does. If you turn on the on-screen timer you can see it still counting.

Is that something you can only do in 2 or do I have to go into a config file to turn it on in 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah the timer ticks on during the break waves. The timer doesn't start until you press G to start the first wave. So you can take as long as you want at the beginning of the map. As far as I'm aware you can only show the timer on in the second game. There may be a mod or some other way to get it displayed in the first game, but it's not available in the options menu.

Anyway,
Sorry for the lack of updates. I'm still dealing with personal poo poo. The other night I messed around a bit on the next level. So I have a question for you guys. Would you rather see an unusual but risky strategy or one that is more effective but sort of common? Because I've been messing around with steam traps and boom barrels a bit but it's sort of risky (though I've never failed it in my practice runs.) However there is a lot of new stuff introduced in the next level. A new enemy type, a completely new mechanic, and a cutscene so talking about all that and the steam traps/boom barrels might be a bit much for one video. Perhaps better for an Alt take and just do two videos. I thinking out loud now.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Is that something you can only do in 2 or do I have to go into a config file to turn it on in 1?

Yeah, sorry about that. It is only in 2.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'm in favour of anything NOT involving an alchemist's satchel. If you do have some utterly crazy method, then an alternate take could be fun.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
If it 5 skulls, the stranger the better. You're playing on (relatively) easy anyhow...

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I'd like to see more unique or quirky builds, as long as you 5 skull it!

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Unique solution it is. I recorded it. It wasn't my best run at the level at all, but it's fun. Personally I'm more excited for the next level. It's one of my favorites from this first game. I wish it was in the 2nd as an Endless level, but alas it only appears in the first game.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not saying that I'm Batman. I'm just saying that... Oh, wait, yes I am. Yes, I'm Batman.
I have to say that the musical direction in OMD is absolutely incredible. Power metal was a great choice to accentuate the tension and energy level of each stage.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Level 11 - Chaos Chamber:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6KW0wTr9qY
More Coins, More Traps! This level we're introduced to the weavers which are basically just temporary passive skill trees. Their upgrades have to be bought each level. As of now we have two available to us. The steel and elemental weavers. Personally I almost always go with the steel weaver. She upgrades traps and guardians. The elemental weaver upgrades the warmage's abilities. We don't really have all the equipment for her to really shine yet. She has it's uses though, but will probably only make an appearance on a handful of levels. We're also introduced to the gnoll hunters. These enemies will attack the player and guardians until it's dead. They apply a slowing debuff when they attack. Fortunately they are susceptible to physics traps and the wind belt making them much easier to deal with.

The strategy I went for with this level is dumb. Real dumb. Don't use this strategy. I wanted to use the steam traps and wanted to avoid using a similar killbox involving wall blades and barricades.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Hate hate hate hate the gnoll hunters. I am terrible at dealing with them.

The steam traps -> arrow trap -> lava combination was pretty awesome though. I would never have thought of something like that!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I usually make that level Push Trap Central, which does give me trouble with kobolds. On the other hand, the sight of an entire wave of orcs being shoved off the balcony at once is hilarious.

Gnolls are a joke until one of them hits you. Then they're suddenly not funny, not funny at all!

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Gnolls are assholes. Especially in the later levels where there's like 6 of them at once. Also I forgot to mention in the video, but gnolls run through barricades like they're nothing. This can sometimes be used to your advantage though.

On this stage you can actually trick gnolls into walking into push traps by placing an archer near the far wall. The gnolls will path near the wall and get hit by the push traps. Hrmm I may have to experiment with that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I never had problems with Gnoll Hunters. Whoever came up with Grenadiers, on the other hand, deserves to burn. Slowly. In acid.
Kobolds look and sound harmless but they're really good at springing traps into empty air. They're also probably my number one reason of failing to fiveskull levels.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gnolls are easy to deal with if you see them coming. Any kinda of elemental attack knocks them out. If you're concentrating on something else though...

Archers make great Gnolls bait. Drops a row of tar right in front of them, trap the area.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
Errr... watching that video, I don't think that the "arrow trap pushes floating orcs into lava" trick worked even once! I've had problems where Archers couldn't shoot orcs floating in the air or after they dropped prone on the ground; it's just a terrible non-synergistic trap.

On another subject, Elemental Weaver deserves a try (at least, after you've gained all your rings and trinkets). Going full BuffMage is a lot easier and rewarding now than it is in the sequel: the sequel allows you to restart your trap specs but there's just SO MUCH SKULLS involved that it becomes a genuine chore. And you really need many upgrades before traps and especially trinkets become effective. So enjoy it now and go Elemental Weaver sometimes if you can.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Neige posted:

Errr... watching that video, I don't think that the "arrow trap pushes floating orcs into lava" trick worked even once! I've had problems where Archers couldn't shoot orcs floating in the air or after they dropped prone on the ground; it's just a terrible non-synergistic trap.

On another subject, Elemental Weaver deserves a try (at least, after you've gained all your rings and trinkets). Going full BuffMage is a lot easier and rewarding now than it is in the sequel: the sequel allows you to restart your trap specs but there's just SO MUCH SKULLS involved that it becomes a genuine chore. And you really need many upgrades before traps and especially trinkets become effective. So enjoy it now and go Elemental Weaver sometimes if you can.

Naw it happens a few times, but mostly it just doesn't work out all that well. This is not a good strategy and the steam trap is not a good trap. This strategy probably works fine in the second game though I haven't tested it out. The Steam trap is actually a lot better in the game and is a staple trap for the high score folks. I'll probably show of why when we get to that game.

I'll be using the elemental weaver every now and again so she won't be left out. Basically I choose her for any level that I don't bring archer's along. You can expect to her on these stages most likely: The Tower, Killing Fields, Reverse Tower, The Pit, and Triple Down. But I'll look into other stages as well.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's not what I expected out of the weavers (I was expecting skulls for permanent upgrades) but it's an interesting wrinkle and certainly more customizable in the long run.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

That's not what I expected out of the weavers (I was expecting skulls for permanent upgrades) but it's an interesting wrinkle and certainly more customizable in the long run.

That's in game too. I guess having two systems doing more or less the same thing was the main reason why they removed the weavers from the second one.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I never liked the Weavers anyway. Admittedly I do just suck at the game, but I always felt like they were useful in the long term, but I could never afford to spend that money on anything except traps. I'd spend a little bit for a Weaver upgrade and then the next wave all my poo poo would get overrun.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The personal-combat Weaver was pretty much essential if you were going for a Bladestaff run. Now you've got the satchel I guess you don't need upgrades to be a deadly hand-to-hand combatant.

The trap Weaver is more generally useful and some of the upgrades can greatly boost a few trap types. The "physics traps now work on ogres" one can be a lifesaver against some of the late-game enemy types we have yet to meet. The quicker-reset upgrade is very useful for slow-but-damaging traps like the wall blades, ceiling mace, and particularly the wall grinder.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Well don't worry we won't be seeing the Alchemist's satchel for a while now because...

Level 12 - Chokepoint
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyQBH66qer0
We now have the Flame Bracers. These are great for dealing with most enemies. Their alt-fire is probably my favorite in the game. Unfortunately they don't work on fire-immune enemies, but it'll be awhile before we encounter any of them and they are quite rare. No new enemies or other mechanics. This level is just simple dumb fun. Especially with the strategy I use. You could play most of the rest of the game using a variant of the solution I used for this level and get by just fine. We won't be doing that of course.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Took you long enough to actually hit the Guardian limit :colbert:

I love to just mess around in that level, i came back after having Magma Floor Traps unlocked and it make things so much more fun. There is also another level later on that's almost exactly like this one but it's vertical and you have a bunch of cool stuff to play around with that i'm also looking forward too.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
This level is why I love Orcs Must Die. Pure anarchy.
By the way, I'd gladly participate when you'll reach OMD2, so yeah, count me in ! My Steam

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Yeah, arrow walls pierce. Good upgrade to take with arrow walls and spike traps, even though this is the archer and flame bracer level.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Chokepoint is a lot of fun. It's a shame it doesn't appear in OMD2's classic mode as it's certainly one that I consider a classic.

I got a lot of recording done today. Videos up to the Tower (15) are recorded. Plus an extra variant of chokepoint that doesn't use any guardians. I just need to do commentary for them. So they'll trickle in over the next week or so. I'm still getting some life stuff sorted out and don't know when I'll find the time. Hopefully that'll all be taken care of shortly.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

There are like 3 things I wanted to see in the workshop for OMD2, and apparently not a single one of them is possible:

1. More OMD1 levels in classic mode.

2. More regular levels in endless mode.

3. A way to hold down the mouse button to auto-attack.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Xander77 posted:

3. A way to hold down the mouse button to auto-attack.

There's one for the stone staff. Also, the crossbow gets this in the vanilla game.

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 7, 2014

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

I think the real problem with OMD2 is how it takes about twenty skulls to fully level-up a single trap. No really. You can reset, but imaging respecting for all those traps. There's also a ton more unimportant weapons and trinkets... I miss the Elemental Weaver.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

It doesn't take long to respec. Only about a minute. You only need about 450 skulls for a fully upgraded ten pieces of equipment. There's no reason to upgrade something if you're not going to be using it. It's actually not that bad. You can five skull every single main campaign stage without grinding.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I don't think there are even enough skulls to upgrade everything without DLC in the main game of this game! At least not till you go through Nightmare or something.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

In 2? There are infinite skulls as you get skulls from completing a level every time you complete it. Endless mode is the best way to get skulls though.

In the first game, you're right. You can't upgrade everything without going through nightmare mode. We're not going to do that. Nightmare mode isn't really all that fun to me past the first couple of levels. The upgrades in the first game are mostly boring though. Many of them just make the traps cheaper or more damage or something. In 2 most of the equipment gets at least something that changes the way it works to some extent.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

D_W posted:

In 2? There are infinite skulls as you get skulls from completing a level every time you complete it. Endless mode is the best way to get skulls though.
You can get 15 skills in 4 minutes if you go through the first level on Nightmare using only traps / only spells (I recommend the Wind Belt), without getting damaged. Endless mode is woefully inefficient by comparison.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Ah yes! I forgot about that trick. Before they patched it you could exploit the first stage of endless mode to get even more skulls (like 20 or something) by just letting the first wave walk through the gate. That was patched out pretty quickly though.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

D_W posted:

Well don't worry we won't be seeing the Alchemist's satchel for a while now because...

Level 12 - Chokepoint

The minimap looks like an Orc face. :unsmith:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What is the guardian limit, anyway? About twenty? Does it increase with later maps or is it static?

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've just moved and haven't had time to record any commentary. I should be all settled in and unpacked by the end of the week. So I'm going to try to get multiple updates then.

Anyway:

Glazius posted:

What is the guardian limit, anyway? About twenty? Does it increase with later maps or is it static?

This is a good question. It's a static 25. Which is a bit odd since you often want to put guardians in equal mirrored configurations. I"m pretty sure that it's the same amount for the second game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Good luck with your new place. You did check the basement for rifts, right?

I swear they left the guardian limit at an uneven number just to troll people.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

OK! This is probably too late for an update but I want to make it before I forget. Two videos this time since I've been so bad about updates.

Level 13 - The Arena
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4NXgsPJvqc
In this video we are given the Pounder. This would be the first ceiling trap if we didn't have the DLC. The Pounder is pretty great but is largely outshined by another trap we'll be getting fairly shortly. Personally I never really used it much. Still it's pretty effective and fairly cheap. It's upgrade adds a 3 second stun effect which is really great. We're also introduced to new enemy type. The Shielded Orcs. These guys are just regular orcs that carry shields. They take two headshots and can be a bit annoying, but are generally dealt with just like normal orcs.

Level 14 - The Balcony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh3ses6f_64
This is one of my favorite levels of the first game. It's basically just a long straight hallway. In it we are given one of the best weapons of the game, the Ice Amulet. Predictable it freezes enemies. Which is a great way to deal with Gnolls and Ogres. Especially in this first game. There are a handful of enemies that are immune to freezing, but they're pretty uncommon. In the video I came across a way to use the Ice Amulet's alt against a new flying enemy type, the fire baby. These guys are swarming flying guys. They're killed in one shot by every weapon, but can pack quite a punch if you let them gang up on you.

Also, as a side note. I have a single code for the Orcs Must Die! Unchained Beta. I don't know what to do with it. If anyone wants it just PM me. The Code is taken.

D_W fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 22, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think the boom barrels really come into their own in the second game, where they get a considerable buff and an enemy weak to explosives. They're one of my favorite trap there. Same with pounders - while they don't get that much better, they get cheaper and become a really efficient way to dish out damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
It might help hearing the conversations that happen between the War Mage and the villain if you turned down the music. It really drowns out anything she says.

• Locked thread