Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

SourceElement posted:

The next video will not be done in Comic Sans MS

But it fits the visual style of the game so well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

I also apologize for the lateness of this update. I've had some annoying Internet connection issues that don't seem to actually get better, no matter what I try. The only reason this update happened at all was because of a jury rig I pulled to ensure I could stay connected.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The time limit on the demo probably kept me from buying the game. I hate hate hate time limits, especially in open games, and I think I had just barely made it to the first town when I was cut off, which immediately killed any desire I had to play the demo or game again.

Distortion Man
Feb 14, 2014
Actually, there are four trainers for each skill. Two basic, one advanced, and one master. There is also a skill book for skill that increases it by one. So all together, you can have five points to each skill before leveling your character (I've heard there are two skill books for lock-picking but I haven't gotten far enough to prove it.)

While requirements are costly at the beginning of the game, if you make a decent investment in Mercantile, you can practically roll in cash. I am sitting on top of 400k and I haven't left Dalentarth. Also, fate-weaving can allow you to spec your character so they can fit the trainers requirements.

None of this is necessary to finish the game but it does make some parts of the game easier, especially dispelling.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The most annoying part of all that is that certain trainers can't train you if you're above their level. While that's partly understandable that also means that when this game tempts me with the promise of getting ALL THE SKILLS I kinda have to min-max obsessively. And play Universalist.

I should try to take my lumps next time and just play someone who's good at SOME things but not everything.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Speedball posted:

The most annoying part of all that is that certain trainers can't train you if you're above their level. While that's partly understandable that also means that when this game tempts me with the promise of getting ALL THE SKILLS I kinda have to min-max obsessively. And play Universalist.

I should try to take my lumps next time and just play someone who's good at SOME things but not everything.

I recommend mage because, as said before, this is one of the rare games to make mages feel like independent fighters instead of artillery to hide behind meatshields.

Anyway, it's not like you need much effort to pick up more skill points than you need: on top of the endless fighting giving you all the XP and money you can eat, you only need so many points to make any given skill useful so there's rarely a need to go out of your way to max one out. On to of that, the individual destines grant you bonuses on relevant skills, so you can depend on them to make up for any deficiencies. Even if you screw up, it's cheap and easy to re-roll, so feel free to experiment for what works for you.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Got me to play this game again and man, I forgot how good Might was as well. Most games fall into the DnD trap of making your skills have a .05% chance of dildo wobble whenever you hit someone with a side-hug during a full moon.

Here? gently caress no, your skills are actual skills, and the percentage based skill actually have a decent chance of activating. gently caress your +1 to hit I wanna shatter the earth so hard that my foes are crushed by the resulting shrapnel.

Though I do admit that this game has a nasty habit of making me indecisive. Yeah I like might, but I also want to dip some into magic, and I want the Faeblade and sneak attack bonuses. Never sure how many points is fine for dipping when I'm looking to specialize.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 31, 2014

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Sounds like the skills are pretty well put-together then, if there aren't obvious "grab X and Y, maybe Z... the rest has no real value" sorts of things going on.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Alavaria posted:

Sounds like the skills are pretty well put-together then, if there aren't obvious "grab X and Y, maybe Z... the rest has no real value" sorts of things going on.

Both the combat abilities and the non-combat skills are all very useful, though some of them obviate the use of others. The mercantile skill for getting extra gold from selling junk won't be used if you've been blacksmithing and tearing apart all your items for spare parts, for example. The Speech skill doesn't pop up very often unfortunately because this is a heavily action-focused game, but when it does you usually get better rewards from missions or occasionally find a more optimal solution to a problem.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

SourceElement posted:

It also just occurred to me, but how do you guys feel about the special delivery items?

For those that aren't aware, the special delivery chest is where DLC armors get placed. It's right in the first town and contains at least one set of every type of armor, and at least one of every weapon type in the game.

The items are all really good for when you get them, but they're only useful for the first hour or two.

Right now my plan is to beeline for that chest once I get control and loot it for goodies, and then occasionally switch the weapons and armor around to show everything off.

God, the DLC never actually worked for me. I bought the Sorcery Pack? Never got it. It's been a year.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's... kind of a weird dialog tree. You've got a giant list for some of it and a more standard radial button for some more of it.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

The radial menu usually shows up when you're answering a question or making some other choice, whereas the list usually shows up when you're asking the questions.

It's still kind of a weird way to do it, and they could've just stuck to one or the other.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Yeah, pretty much radial: progress, list: exposition.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

It's Monday and I like to think I can keep a schedule. Or pretend I can at least.

(Ep 04 Direct Link)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So if Fae are immortal and come back to life if they die, why is anyone concerned about healing the one that got beaten up in town? She'll be fine.

Also, this game is pretty terrible about syncing up subtitles to dialog on those fate stones.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

So if Fae are immortal and come back to life if they die, why is anyone concerned about healing the one that got beaten up in town? She'll be fine.

Also, this game is pretty terrible about syncing up subtitles to dialog on those fate stones.

Fae have a that whole better-than-you thing going on. And even though Iluvia will be reborn, I can't imagine that her liege lord would take very well the news about the murder of one of his vassals at the hands of mortals.

It would be extraordinarily unhealthy for Gorhart.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Schwartzcough posted:

The Fae immortality thing isn't very well explained, but basically the way it works is that while individual Fae can be killed their 'role' always survives. Iluvia's soul will be reborn but that doesn't neccessarily mean that Iluvia will be reborn. It's more like perpetual reincarnation than true immortality.

To use an analogy; if a fae soldier dies another fae soldier will rise to take his place but the new one may or may not be the same as the old one. Individual fae are not immortal but the role they play in their story (stories are super important to the fae, they literally exist to fill roles in stories) is eternal.

I don't think they ever really spell any of this out though, you sort of have to work it out from the context of the PC ruining everything because fateless.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

If you have an Origin account and don't own this game, it's 70% off on that service.

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning

$6 for a game this long and fun is one hell of a deal!

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

SourceElement posted:

If you have an Origin account and don't own this game, it's 70% off on that service.

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning

$6 for a game this long and fun is one hell of a deal!

Eh, Origin. Never saw the appeal of it. Anyhow, does anyone know why this game runs so choppy most of the time? I bought it on steam to play after seeing this, but I can't seem to prevent it from lagging. I don't know why it's lagging, since I have an HD Video Card and a Quad Core processor, and I can run Skyrim at high, anyone got an idea?

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012
You can find out what the shrines do by checking the effects screen under status.

None of the shrines make any sense though, Thymon's Charge is increased damage rather than speed, and Mitharu's protection provides health regen no defence boost...

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Da_Higg posted:

You can find out what the shrines do by checking the effects screen under status.

None of the shrines make any sense though, Thymon's Charge is increased damage rather than speed, and Mitharu's protection provides health regen no defence boost...

That....seems counter intuitive.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Neruz posted:

The Fae immortality thing isn't very well explained, but basically the way it works is that while individual Fae can be killed their 'role' always survives. Iluvia's soul will be reborn but that doesn't neccessarily mean that Iluvia will be reborn. It's more like perpetual reincarnation than true immortality.

To use an analogy; if a fae soldier dies another fae soldier will rise to take his place but the new one may or may not be the same as the old one. Individual fae are not immortal but the role they play in their story (stories are super important to the fae, they literally exist to fill roles in stories) is eternal.

I don't think they ever really spell any of this out though, you sort of have to work it out from the context of the PC ruining everything because fateless.
Ok, so they live thanks to fate. :v:

Do new fae just pop out of the air or something? Can they be spawn-camped in some way?

Of course, do they have to re-learn skills like fighting, do they appear with weapons and armor... it seems at some point you should be able to keep the lot of them trapped in some way.

Silegna posted:

Eh, Origin. Never saw the appeal of it.
The game is on Steam, just never has a sale (stays at $20)

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 3, 2014

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Alavaria posted:

The game is on Steam, just never has a sale (stays at $20)

Was 70% off just 1½ months ago :)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

inscrutable horse posted:

Was 70% off just 1½ months ago :)

Yeah, I actually rebought it on Steam then because the offline mode never worked in Origin.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
in that case, screw origin

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Alavaria posted:

Ok, so they live thanks to fate. :v:

The Fae have an intricate tie to the strands of fate that none of the mortal races have, to the Fae their strand of fate; their role in the story or tapestry is literally their entire being. The Fae basically exist to play out the roles assigned to them by Fate.

This is why Gadflow is so super dangerous because he is a Fae that is apparently unbound by Fate and can act however the gently caress he feels like. We will also see that the Fateless One totally messes up all the Fae's stories and sets them on a new path of free will and discovery that they have literally never encountered before, but that's for the future.

Alavaria posted:

Do new fae just pop out of the air or something? Can they be spawn-camped in some way?

How exactly new Fae appear is never addressed. There are a few suggestions that Fae fall in love and get to the baby making but that a baby doesn't actually happen unless there's a free Fae soul floating around waiting to be reincarnated but at no point in the game that I am aware of do they ever actually come out and say how it works.

Alavaria posted:

Of course, do they have to re-learn skills like fighting, do they appear with weapons and armor... it seems at some point you should be able to keep the lot of them trapped in some way.

Almost certainly; the Fae compete with each other to see who can achieve what role in the stories so new Fae probably have to re-learn their skills and whatnot but they have an affinity for those skills: If a legendary Fae soldier dies and is reincarnated his reincarnation will have a natural talent and affinity for the arts of murdering the poo poo out of things and so will follow in his reincarnation's footsteps but that doesn't mean the reincarnation will take on the exact same role as his predecessor.

The whole point about the Fae is that they are a civilization that is not only bound by Fate but is aware of that binding. The Fae can basically see what their role is in the tapestry; self-aware threads if you will and do their best to follow those threads, right up until the Fateless One shows up and burns the entire goddamn tapestry to the ground.

Ultimately the Kingdoms of Amalur story is about how Fate built this really elaborate universe and organised everything so it would be all neat and tidy and then Gadflow and the Fateless One got into a huge fight and hosed everything up.

I honestly expect that if the game hadn't bombed like it did and had a sequel that said sequel would contain something along the lines of the Dahaka popping up and trying to fix everything the PC breaks.

Seriously; the entire story of this game can basically be summed up as 'you play as the rear end in a top hat who messes up some other kid's sandcastle'

Basically you need to think about the Fae as both who they are and what they are, because unlike with the mortal races for the Fae the who (the individual) and the what (their thread in the tapestry) are seperate from each other at first, though the what tends to override the who given enough time.

The player character is basically an Antifae; being a being that is completely invisible to fate compared to the Fae who are totally defined by it.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 3, 2014

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Apparently this week is sale week.

Amalur and all DLC is ALSO on sale on PSN. Base game is $5 and DLC is less than that.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...aystation-store

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I reccomend Dead Kel. The writing is funny in parts and you get a huge upgradeable base--very nice.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, I'm loving the gossip stones, especially the ones that have actual gossip in them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Glazius posted:

Okay, I'm loving the gossip stones, especially the ones that have actual gossip in them.

A lot of them are boring-rear end Fae poetry, but the ones that have gossip in them are amazing.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I actually think the lorestones are some of the best parts of the game. It's not as much poetry as it is oral history, and it's something I really appreciate, coming from a culture where such storytelling is the only link we have to our past.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I'm behind this week, because I am incredibly good at balancing my time.

So have an interim video while I get the real update sorted.

(Ep 04.5 Direct Link)

If 720p isn't available, give it a few minutes. It JUST finished processing.

The music used is available here

ETA: I'm incredibly good at using hammers and greatswords in this video. Thus the clusterfuck designation.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 9, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So were those just bad weapons? The damage seemed really unimpressive for how slow they looked... It seems like stunning enemies with fast hits is important, and big weapons look like they're really bad at handling more than one enemy at a time.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Those weren't bad weapons, SourceElement was just bad at using them.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So people who use warrior weapons say, but I've never had a good experience with them compared to rogue/mage weapons. Being able to finish an animation quickly and dodge out of the way is just too important in this game.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I dunno. There's something to be said for crushing someone's face with the hammer.

Also, I feel that even the Tooltip for Chakrams should just be "This weapon is bullcrap. Deal with it."

Distortion Man
Feb 14, 2014

Neruz posted:

Those weren't bad weapons, SourceElement was just bad at using them.

Give the guy a break, he was using might weapons with a finesse based character. Also the Stonecandle Mines is a surprisingly difficult dungeon for a low leveled character. I remember the first time I entered, I burned almost all of my health potions getting through.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Greatswords and hammers are fantastic secondary weapons because of how easy they are to combo into. As primary weapons, though, they're not that great.

Also, we just recorded commentary for a new video and let me tell you we are mature individuals. :shepface:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Shlapintogan posted:

Greatswords and hammers are fantastic secondary weapons because of how easy they are to combo into. As primary weapons, though, they're not that great.

Also, we just recorded commentary for a new video and let me tell you we are mature individuals. :shepface:

Don't worry, we all have our immature moments. I for one, am looking forward to this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

(Ep 05 Direct Link)

As always, give it a few minutes if 720p isn't available yet. Also watch the update before reading the spoilertext below.

No seriously. Watch the update first.

SPOILERS START HERE!

:sterv:

Disclaimer:

No I don't necessarily find lazy eyes funny. It was just a snowball effect where one of us started laughing and that set the other one off. I pointed it out right as soon as we started talking to him and the giggling lasted well past when we stopped recording.

ETA: This video also puts us at the end of the first zone! Gonna respec to mage the next time I record and get the second zone knocked out in short order.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 11, 2014

• Locked thread