Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Moridin920 posted:

Not true, China has some pretty great opportunities for exploitation going on. For example: German workers get most of the iPhone manufacturing money. They build all the components, which get shipped to China to be assembled for pennies and then the product is shipped to stores.

So a) those jobs aren't coming back in a hurry because they pay literally almost nothing still and b) there are plenty of high school grads that would love a fair factory assembly job. But the Germans still get paid a great wage to make the components for the iPhone so I ask you: why can't those jobs be in the US?

The average wage for factory work is almost $13.75 now. I doubt you would know that because you haven't actually talked to a supplier.

It is getting insanely expensive to do business in China.

Also:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

The average wage for factory work is almost $13.75 now. I doubt you would know that because you haven't actually talked to a supplier.

It is getting insanely expensive to do business in China.

"whiny millenials don't want to make double minimum wage" - a thing you believe

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Literally The Worst posted:

"whiny millenials don't want to make double minimum wage" - a thing you believe

I have had people turn down $14.00/hr, yes.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

that's because you're a piece of poo poo and nobody wants to work near you

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

that's because you're a piece of poo poo and nobody wants to work near you

Don't be like that. I'm a people person.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

therefore, nobody will work for $14 an hour

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Don't be like that. I'm a people person.

a people person who doesn't actually give a poo poo about people

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think college is kind of a hosed up concept. going to school for four years shouldn't be necessary for most careers. It should be mostly for people who really want to specialize in something particular.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Moridin920 posted:

therefore, nobody will work for $14 an hour

Nobody your age, lad.

Too whiny.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Copley Depot posted:

I think college is kind of a hosed up concept. going to school for four years shouldn't be necessary for most careers. It should be mostly for people who really want to specialize in something particular.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Copley Depot posted:

Realtalk:

This is actually a good post and something I have heard alot of talk on, both from schools and from businesses. I would almost prefer it if colleges partnered with businesses and gave students real-life work experience to add to their resume in addition to the college education. It would be a much better value for the student and make the education far more fulfilling.

It would also make the school earn the 30-80k they are being paid.

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.
First of all, all you chuckle fucks responding to Rhonyn Peacemaker; why the gently caress haven't you put this serial troll/lier on ignore by now I'll never know but stop responding you dicks.

Most people who do liberal arts degrees are probably throwing you money away. Most decent places have what is called the trades. Look into what licences are require in you state/city.

My boss has been looking to hire a licensed electrician for months now. He will hire any motherfucker for $27 an hour if you can show him a licence. He may ask about you driving record before he hand you the keys to an all expense paid truck though.

It takes 4 years to get a license like college, but instead of paying them they pay you.

Also too many engineers is strait up stupid. I bet you there are 30,000 native Indians/Chinese working on the main Microsoft campus right now.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

a people person who doesn't actually give a poo poo about people

As I've said before, people are a renewable resource. If the person in front of me won't do the job, or can't, the next one will.

There is a limitless supply of skill and labor out there. I pay well and take care of the people in my employ. If they stop doing their job, they don't need to be working here.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nobody your age, lad.

Too whiny.

i would totally work for 14/hr if it didn't mean i was going to have trouble getting out of bed in the morning because my back/knees were screaming, assembling iphones for 14 sounds great

your argument is undone human being

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

As I've said before, people are a renewable resource. If the person in front of me won't do the job, or can't, the next one will.

There is a limitless supply of skill and labor out there. I pay well and take care of the people in my employ. If they stop doing their job, they don't need to be working here.

YOU DON'T PAY ANYONE

YOU ARE HUMAN RESOURCES

YOU DON'T ACTUALLY loving EMPLOY ANYONE

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ChuckHead posted:

First of all, all you chuckle fucks responding to Rhonyn Peacemaker; why the gently caress haven't you put this serial troll/lier on ignore by now I'll never know but stop responding you dicks.

Most people who do liberal arts degrees are probably throwing you money away. Most decent places have what is called the trades. Look into what licences are require in you state/city.

My boss has been looking to hire a licensed electrician for months now. He will hire any motherfucker for $27 an hour if you can show him a licence. He may ask about you driving record before he hand you the keys to an all expense paid truck though.

It takes 4 years to get a license like college, but instead of paying them they pay you.

Also too many engineers is strait up stupid. I bet you there are 30,000 native Indians/Chinese working on the main Microsoft campus right now.

Chuck:

Why you gotta be like that.

:ssh: I Seriouspost in BFC, E/N and Games. So if people have real HR questions, I answer them there with no pretenses.

If HR stuff pops up here I answer it, but people usually act like fools, and then I gotta do my thing. Can't be helped.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

YOU DON'T PAY ANYONE

YOU ARE HUMAN RESOURCES

YOU DON'T ACTUALLY loving EMPLOY ANYONE

As an agent of the company, I do employ people. I am actually an Agent of the company.

azreal
Sep 2, 2011

I get $60 an hour to draw pretty pictures on people. My wife works flex time in an easy office environment for 80k+ a year.

Neither of us have a degree, and college would have been a complete waste of time and money for either of us.

azreal fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 31, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

As an agent of the company, I do employ people. I am actually an Agent of the company.

no shtu up shut up with your dumb lovely troll

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

no shtu up shut up with your dumb lovely troll

You are too angry. You need to relax.

If you want, I can make a position and hire you for my company.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
realtalk a huge part of the problem is the popular idea that college is the only way to go and the demonization of skilled labor

azreal
Sep 2, 2011

realtalk a huge part of the problem is the popular idea that college is the only way to go and the demonization of skilled labor

Truth.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Also realtalk: I completely agree! Skilled labor is at an all-time premium right now and I have been trying to tell people that if they have kids that show mechanical aptitude but not mental, that is OK. There are a shitton of technical and trade schools that will teach them all about the wonders of skilled labor and those kids will grow up to make mean wages.

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I know you are ignorant, but I will respond to this anyways.

MBA's are very useful if you have the experience to back it up. That is why MBA schools expect their students, usually, to be in a professional career setting for two years, minimum, before attending the MBA program. They also require you to attend the MBA program at a different college than the one you received your degree at, so you are exposed to new schools of business management theory.

I don't know if you realized it, but it does make for better managers and better leaders. But then again, this may be wasted.

you are really loving stupid.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barfoid 3 posted:

you are really loving stupid.

How, could you possibly, of all of my posts, argue with that one?

:frogout: Barfoid. Just :frogout: You really are a pubbie.

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man, this is gonna be great.
gently caress you, BUSINESSMAN, your hurting the world :mad:

I have a friend who is convinced that he has nothing to gain and everything to lose by going to college. He has assured me that because of all the debt you accrue from going to a university college grads will never catch up to someone who went to work right out of high school. He's not wrong depending on the field but then again he has zero marketable skills and has never been formally employed before so maybe I should get a second opinion.

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

but also gently caress you, businessman, why you hatin' on all the millennials?

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
well. ok, I guess college can get you laid a lot.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chrispurple posted:

but also gently caress you, businessman, why you hatin' on all the millennials?

Realtalk: I'm not. I just know it gets moridin all worked up into one of his crying fits. I know he is at home crying into his cock-shaped pillow. Perhaps he is pouring his soul out onto the tear-stained pages of dear diary.

I don't have an issue hiring millennials. However, the least experienced can be a little more whiny than most.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Rhonyn, I'm sorry that the most value you add to your company is to protect them from employee lawsuits. Wait, that is actually really valuable.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

keyvin posted:

Rhonyn, I'm sorry that the most value you add to your company is to protect them from employee lawsuits. Wait, that is actually really valuable.

it's funny cause hr's not about helping the workers at all by any definition of their job, company first people a distant second

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

keyvin posted:

That is "minimizing loss". However, I also do a bunch of other things HR-related, including negotiations. Most HR managers save the company hilarious amounts of money by renegotiating contracts with service providers, insurance companies, etc.

I I look at my contracts every year to see if I can squeeze my providers for another dime. Just in case.

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Realtalk: I'm not. I just know it gets moridin all worked up into one of his crying fits. I know he is at home crying into his cock-shaped pillow. Perhaps he is pouring his soul out onto the tear-stained pages of dear diary.

I don't have an issue hiring millennials. However, the least experienced can be a little more whiny than most.

Well that's fair enough. In that case you can continue to destabilize foreign nations with my blessing. That's what HR directors do right?

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chrispurple posted:

Well that's fair enough. In that case you can continue to destabilize foreign nations with my blessing. That's what HR directors do right?

If you are doing it right, you are.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

That is "minimizing loss". However, I also do a bunch of other things HR-related, including negotiations. Most HR managers save the company hilarious amounts of money by renegotiating contracts with service providers, insurance companies, etc.

I I look at my contracts every year to see if I can squeeze my providers for another dime. Just in case.

Don't forget migrating the rank and file employees to a high deductible plan to cut costs!

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

keyvin posted:

Don't forget migrating the rank and file employees to a high deductible plan to cut costs!

Last year we had considered a high deductible plan, but tossed it out, because it would not have been under the PPACA provisions. This year, a High Deductible plan as an option, in addition to other options, giving our employees choice, was reasonable, as the PPACA gives an out of pocket annual maximum of $6,350 for an individual. Most businesses only sign up individuals, so a $6000 or a $5500 deductible only made sense.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Last year we had considered a high deductible plan, but tossed it out, because it would not have been under the PPACA provisions. This year, a High Deductible plan as an option, in addition to other options, giving our employees choice, was reasonable, as the PPACA gives an out of pocket annual maximum of $6,350 for an individual. Most businesses only sign up individuals, so a $6000 or a $5500 deductible only made sense.

Yeah I worked at a publicly traded company for a time that added a high deductible option - that within a year was the only option. HR said it was because the business wasn't doing as well. This is the exact opposite that the company reported in their shareholder reports. Nobody but myself and my boss bothered to read the report. Most people are stupid sheep.

I'm glad you make a lot of money and stuff, but your a professional weasel and a likely sociopath.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

keyvin posted:

Yeah I worked at a publicly traded company for a time that added a high deductible option - that within a year was the only option. HR said it was because the business wasn't doing as well. This is the exact opposite that the company reported in their shareholder reports. Nobody but myself and my boss bothered to read the report. Most people are stupid sheep.

I'm glad you make a lot of money and stuff, but your a professional weasel and a likely sociopath.

It sounds like this guy, had a bad experience

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Peacemaker's my favorite polarizing poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
get hosed HR guy

• Locked thread