Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Samopsa posted:

I just bought the complete pack on Steam. So, uh, weird problem: When I launch the game from steam I see the launcher that let's me pick between Enemy Within and Enemy Unknown. No matter which one I pick, Enemy Unknown launches. It also seems that the other DLC is not included (I do not get any extra options when starting a campaign).

When I click on 'Enemy Within' in the launcher, it does want to start the EW process (yellow icon) and Win7 asks for UAC permission; I grant that and afterwards it runs the EU process (blue icon). I re-downloaded the entire thing, and also checked file integrity. According to steam all DLC is installed. DirectX is up to date. I also deleted all setting stuff in My Documents\My Games\XCom folders. It makes 2 folders: 1 for EW, 1 for EU. The log file of EW is completely empty. If I run the process from the \XEW\Binaries folder it will also just launch the menu and the same poo poo happens.

As you can see, it tries to launch the XEW executable:

but the process it eventually runs is actually the EU one.

Anyone have a clue on how to fix this?

Just yesterday there was a steam update, and one of the patch notes did mention a steam option to disable DLC. Maybe it's incorrectly doing that for EW/Extra Hat Mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

dyzzy posted:

edit: you can tell if you have EW if the menu screen shows the command center and not an intersection.

And also the enormous yellow lettering that says "XCOM ENEMY WITHIN"

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Heh, duh. Don't know how I forgot about that.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

dyzzy posted:

Heh, duh. Don't know how I forgot about that.

Been hittin the meld a little heavy.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It's some good stuff, just don't spill it on anything too valuable.

Or is it the opposite?

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Been thinking about trying out XCOM as a setting for tabletop gaming, but I'm not entirely sure what's the best system to use. Dark Heresy seems like a pretty good comparison given the high tech, mind powers and alien-killing focus, but I've heard good things about Shadowrun for use as well. Any thoughts on what'd be the best fit for the XCOM feeling and setting?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I'm not trying to run you out of the thread (and indeed, if someone knows a good answer to that, be my guest and discuss it), but you might have more luck asking in the Trad Games forum. In particular, I recommend the GM Advice thread, because that's basically what you're gonna be in this situation.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 29, 2014

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Prox mines are some of the most hilariously satisfying weapons to set up. Cloaked spotter finds a group. Drop a mine under their feet from out of range. Run a third soldier in to activate the group, and now the little "oh poo poo, scatter" cinematic is replaced by a zoom into an explosion and flying thin man, or chrysallid body parts.

Also, random question. I have some soldiers with bio-electric skin. On a few missions, I've seen a bio-electric indicator like there's a life form or something around.
However, when I try to target the area with an explosive, it gives me a friendly fire warning. Anyone know whats up with that?

e: Actually, I think it only has happened on terror missions, and after I've saved a civvie. Maybe the game just makes saved civilians invisible after they're saved, but otherwise keeps them on the map? Its doubly weird, because the indicator moves around as the mission progresses, although the one time I actually watched it it moved towards the skyranger which would make some sense if it was a civvie.

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 29, 2014

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Deuce posted:

Just yesterday there was a steam update, and one of the patch notes did mention a steam option to disable DLC. Maybe it's incorrectly doing that for EW/Extra Hat Mode?

dyzzy posted:

Try disabling UAC? Or moving the game install directory to an unprotected path.

edit: you can tell if you have EW if the menu screen shows the command center and not an intersection.

This did not work unfortunately. Tried some more stuff, nothing works. :sigh:
Just shot a mail to 2K support, let's see what they say.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Samopsa posted:

This did not work unfortunately. Tried some more stuff, nothing works. :sigh:
Just shot a mail to 2K support, let's see what they say.

Same boat, although for me the launcher just crashes immediately. I can run enemy unknown, but not enemy within. Tried every possible solution from updating MB bios to moving the game to an unprotected directory. Apparently a lot of people are having the same problem with XCom complete.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Firaxis :argh:

GUPTA :argh:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

gently caress the ROW posted:

Same boat, although for me the launcher just crashes immediately. I can run enemy unknown, but not enemy within. Tried every possible solution from updating MB bios to moving the game to an unprotected directory. Apparently a lot of people are having the same problem with XCom complete.

Weird, I only found like 2 posts or something with people having the same issues, with no solutions. The reply I got from 2K was useless, as I expected, just standard solutions like disable UAC, move to non-protected folder, reinstall DX, check sound card (what? it's not 1995 anymore!) etc. I replied that I would like a non-canned response, let's see what happens.

I assume you don't have found a solution yet?

e: Holy cow I found the solution, weiiiird! For some reason, the compatibility option of EW were set to 'run in admin mode' and this prevented the game from running properly. I disabled all compatibility settings and it works now, finally!

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 30, 2014

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Samopsa posted:

Weird, I only found like 2 posts or something with people having the same issues, with no solutions. The reply I got from 2K was useless, as I expected, just standard solutions like disable UAC, move to non-protected folder, reinstall DX, check sound card (what? it's not 1995 anymore!) etc. I replied that I would like a non-canned response, let's see what happens.

I assume you don't have found a solution yet?

e: Holy cow I found the solution, weiiiird! For some reason, the compatibility option of EW were set to 'run in admin mode' and this prevented the game from running properly. I disabled all compatibility settings and it works now, finally!

I haven't had any luck with any of the compatibility settings but I'll check this as well. There are a bunch of threads on steam about xcomlauncher stops working - apparently 2k started investigating a year or so ago and then went silent.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Is it intentional for Long War pods to include EXALT operatives in with a crew of sectoids... after I've eliminated the EXALT HQ?

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Deuce posted:

Is it intentional for Long War pods to include EXALT operatives in with a crew of sectoids... after I've eliminated the EXALT HQ?

That sounds pretty cool, actually. I sort of wish that vanilla EW had Exalt members using Sectoids, too, either as brothers in arms or some sort of captured slave soldiers, depending on what Exalt's origin/mission really was.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Deuce posted:

AFAIK, yes. EXALT is supposed to be mixed into the alien pools now, sparingly, and every so often a high-ranking alien will spawn in the EXALT base. I think the handwavy-ness comes from assuming that not all cells were destroyed after the base, just dispersed. Or something.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Haha gently caress that's almost exactly one of the things I wished for earlier in the thread. Kudos to the LW guys on that one.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

dyzzy posted:

Haha gently caress that's almost exactly one of the things I wished for earlier in the thread. Kudos to the LW guys on that one.

If only they could figure out how to get aliens into the base as "friendlies" so we could take them on missions. I would hella like to have a pet Sectoid or Thin Man along.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
- Overhaul of engineering capabilities. Workshops and ws adjacencies now provide cash discounts and rebates on alloys and elerium, via a diminishing return function approaching 50%. Engineers no longer provided by building workshops. Engineers now reduce build times. There are no engineer minimums to build items; instead, having too few relative to the item requirement significantly increases the time to build. Engineer minimums for additional workshops increased, and for radars they are still in place.

Ouch, more LW Lab supremecy there I suppose.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
:sigh: Somewhat less excited for that. Are you supposed to rely on council missions/requests/monthly rewards?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Looks like it. Seems a bit silly to do that and then increase the cost of mid/late game stuff too but that's LW for ya.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I don't really get what they're trying to accomplish with that change. I guess it keeps you from being hard-locked out of a critical piece of kit because you're one engineer short on something, but it seems like a really, really big change to accomplish a relatively small goal.

The best I can figure is that it is an ethos change, where they are trying to more closely replicate how UFO Defense worked - you could toss a ton of engineers on a project to get units of equipment quickly, and alternately even if you had a huge project that was undermanned, if it was critical you would get it eventually.

The issue is that entire system was always kind of asinine in UFO. Big projects like body armor or new cannon upgrades were kind of hard-locked by the amount of Engineering spaces you had (typically only 1-2 workshops, because there was a ton of other crap you needed), and little projects like a few new rifles basically completed instantly since the project itself didn't take too much workshop space. Then you toss on the fact that there are a number of concepts in that asinine system that aren't appropriately modeled in Enemy Within (such as not being able to have one engineer work on two projects, limited workshop space/opportunity costs, etc), and I have difficulty feeling it's suitable for the system.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Pretty sure the change is just there to make the game longer. Since you can't spam workshops to get engineers but still need engineers to build workshops, you're going to end up spending a ton more resources simply because you can't afford to wait for discounts. Also I suppose it means you spend longer on each level of tech because you end up bottlenecked by the amount of time it would take you to make stuff.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The question is, are they also slowing the alien side's progress? if not, this sounds incredibly unfun.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'd like to see a mod that takes the hood off of the "alien side" of the game. I wonder exactly how it works: is there an "alien base" of sorts (not the literal alien base or the mothership, I mean more in the gameplay sense like the player has)? Does the AI have to research things?

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Coolguye posted:

The issue is that entire system was always kind of asinine in UFO. Big projects like body armor or new cannon upgrades were kind of hard-locked by the amount of Engineering spaces you had (typically only 1-2 workshops, because there was a ton of other crap you needed), and little projects like a few new rifles basically completed instantly since the project itself didn't take too much workshop space.

I wish they had picked a different system of slowing the player down, than the limited scientist / engineer / expansion space. It kinda grates on me a bit because most scientists would cheerfully join the project for free and live in a tiny room in the underground base, just for the chance to look at alien tech. You'd have Nobel prize winners camped on your doorstep. Ditto engineers - I know guys who would join a one way Mars mission because "everybody dies, but how many people are ever going to Mars?"

What I'm saying is, Dr Vahlen probably murdered a dozen people just to make sure her name was at the top of the pile when it came time to pick the chief researcher.

E: Vahlen

Dongsturm fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 31, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dongsturm posted:

What I'm saying is, Dr Vaughlin probably murdered a dozen people just to make sure her name was at the top of the pile when it came time to pick the chief researcher.

Vahlen. And that's probably true. It's also a likely reason why scientists aren't lining up at your door.

Edit: And the engineers get twitchy whenever Dr Shen starts eyeing their limbs, then nearby power-tools, then chuckling to himself.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 31, 2014

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Eh, just justify it as taking a lot of time and effort to get these talented individuals, introduce them to the alien technology and materials, and then catch them up on all the advances and stuff that you've already figured out. It's not like anyone on earth has a degree with a specialization in understanding and reverse engineering alien technology(well, yet anyway). Also all these highly qualified scientists who would greatly help you understand alien technology...well that's exactly it, everyone wants those people. EXALT would be after them, countries would be after them, XCOM has to fight everyone else to get them because countries don't want to be defenseless if XCOM fails.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 31, 2014

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Zeron posted:

Eh, just justify it as taking a lot of time and effort to get these talented individuals, introduce them to the alien technology and materials, and then catch them up on all the advances and stuff that you've already figured out. It's not like anyone on earth has a degree with a specialization in understanding and reverse engineering alien technology(well, yet anyway). Also all these highly qualified scientists who would greatly help you understand alien technology...well that's exactly it, everyone wants those people. EXALT would be after them, countries would be after them, XCOM has to fight everyone else to get them because countries don't want to be defenseless if XCOM fails.

You're right, I would prefer to join NASA than a mysterious secret council.

Has there been any fluff released for the XCOM world? Any world - building outside the game? I could probably get into a novel about the game world.

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

Dongsturm posted:

Has there been any fluff released for the XCOM world? Any world - building outside the game? I could probably get into a novel about the game world.

Well, there is that other game, The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. It takes place in the 50s and probably talks about the origin of XCOM, but I haven't played it and it doesn't seem to be very good.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I just bought Enemy Within, and when I'm on the mission control screen the globe spins really quickly, without stopping. Has anyone else seen this bug?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
In Long War, my MEC troopers seem unable to equip advanced weapons. I built a railgun and a particle cannon, but I can only use the minigun.

Why is that thing I said?

edit: and the idea to have fighters start doing double-shots was a loving dick move. Instantly makes interceptors obsolete.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 31, 2014

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012

Deuce posted:

In Long War, my MEC troopers seem unable to equip advanced weapons. I built a railgun and a particle cannon, but I can only use the minigun.

Why is that thing I said?

According to the Nexus forums:

quote:

HOW TO FIX UNEQUIPPABLE MEC GUNS IN 9a

Open XComStrategyGame.upk with a hex editor and do a search/replace on the following hex:
BEFORE:
07 e5 03 19 1B CB 2F 00 00 00 00 00 00 16 15 00 2D FF FF FF 00 1B 25 35 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 39 00 00 2C 01 16

AFTER:
07 e2 03 19 1B CB 2F 00 00 00 00 00 00 16 15 00 2D FF FF FF 00 1B 25 35 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 39 00 00 2C 01 16

Haven't tried this myself, but this sounds like your problem.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Long War is going to cause me to install boot camp on this mac so I can play it now that I grabbed the complete pack off Steam a few days ago. The mod looks amazing.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Robhol posted:

According to the Nexus forums:

Haven't tried this myself, but this sounds like your problem.

This worked. Hooray, I can use a real gun!

Thanks.

edit: interceptor with all foundry upgrades, equipped with phoenix coilgun, using dodge and boost modules, shot down by UFO fighter with its bullshit double shot upgrade. :sigh:

Deuce fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 31, 2014

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Abilifier posted:

Well, there is that other game, The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. It takes place in the 50s and probably talks about the origin of XCOM, but I haven't played it and it doesn't seem to be very good.

There was also I believe a mediocre official novel and a much better fan made novel (both of the original X-COM). I haven't heard about anything pertaining to the remake though. A quick google search just shows a handful of fan fiction.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dongsturm posted:

There were two novels for the original, according to the all-reliable wikipedia, but for this one all you get is little snippets of news update at the bottom of the screen for council requests and other activity.

Paints an interesting picture.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That Long War engineer change could be interesting, but even I doubt that it'll work well without some serious rebalancing. I kind of like that engineers are more like scientists and that you're not locked out of something until you build X workshops, but it does sound like it'll make the game more daunting as things are now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Zeron posted:

Pretty sure the change is just there to make the game longer. Since you can't spam workshops to get engineers but still need engineers to build workshops, you're going to end up spending a ton more resources simply because you can't afford to wait for discounts. Also I suppose it means you spend longer on each level of tech because you end up bottlenecked by the amount of time it would take you to make stuff.

I don't see how this is going to make the game substantially longer, to be truthful with you. The current rate-determining step for beating the game is laboratories - workshops and engineering will hard-lock you on what you need to get your new toys, but it takes far longer to properly walk down the ivy-like tech tree now than it does to produce what it gets you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

VDay posted:

That Long War engineer change could be interesting, but even I doubt that it'll work well without some serious rebalancing. I kind of like that engineers are more like scientists and that you're not locked out of something until you build X workshops, but it does sound like it'll make the game more daunting as things are now.

From the ever-evolving patch notes:

quote:

Reworked some council item requests to grant more engineers

At least that gives you a solid opportunity to trade for more engies.

• Locked thread