Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Anoulie
Oct 8, 2013
So I saved this plant from the trash a few weeks ago. I guess its previous owners just didn't want to get a new pot for it -- the one it was in was basically all roots. So I put it in a bigger pot (9 inches across), stuck two fertilizer sticks in between the stems (not sure if the smaller one will ever do anything interesting, but I'll just leave it in there). I cut off the dead leaves and put it in the shower to get rid of the dust and it's looking much better now!

I still have the following questions.
a) What kind of plant is that, anway?
b) How do I best care for it and is the spot next to my window alright for it?
c) As you can see in the third picture, it's got some posture problems. For now I've solved this by putting it in a corner so the weak stem can lean on the wall, but that's not good for the leaves on the wall-facing side in the long term, it seems. Any other suggestions? Will it eventually be able to support itself?

EDIT: Excuse the crappy pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Gah, I'm so bummed. I thought I caught the one plant infested with fungus gnats but then I noticed one of my wall terrariums I had just filled with moss was dying and it was crawling with them :(

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

raej posted:

Any tips on how to keep this 5 gal hydrangea from dying in Texas?

I'm in the Dallas area. It's in a shaded part in front of our house. I recently moved it back so it stays in the shade during the afternoon. I've been watering it, but everything keeps shriveling.

I'm assuming that it's still in the pot from the store? If so, I know that the generic thin, black plastic nursery pots offer little heat protection to plant's root balls, so it's broiling. If that's your situation, I suggest keeping it somewhere where the roots can stay nice, cool, and away from the effects of the Texas sun.

The major recommendation after that would be to get it into a pot that has some insulating properties to it. If you want, you can double up plastic pots on each other, or perhaps use the plastic nursery pot within a clay pot. The plastic pot keeps moisture, while the clay pot wicks away heat after a watering.

I'm barely improving my situation on growing zone 4 plants (astilbes in case anyone's curious) in zone 9, so I feel your pain with plants melting in the sun. :supaburn: I hope I could help out a bit!

Anoulie posted:

So I saved this plant from the trash a few weeks ago. I guess its previous owners just didn't want to get a new pot for it -- the one it was in was basically all roots. So I put it in a bigger pot (9 inches across), stuck two fertilizer sticks in between the stems (not sure if the smaller one will ever do anything interesting, but I'll just leave it in there). I cut off the dead leaves and put it in the shower to get rid of the dust and it's looking much better now!

I still have the following questions.
a) What kind of plant is that, anway?
b) How do I best care for it and is the spot next to my window alright for it?
c) As you can see in the third picture, it's got some posture problems. For now I've solved this by putting it in a corner so the weak stem can lean on the wall, but that's not good for the leaves on the wall-facing side in the long term, it seems. Any other suggestions? Will it eventually be able to support itself?

a) That's a Dracaena deremensis "Janet Craig Compacta," a.k.a. pineapple dracaena. I have one of those! :) They need a good source of light close to a window, but they are as easy as lucky bamboo to take care of, because they are cousins of them.

b) The only tough thing about all dracaenas is avoiding the use of tap water straight from the faucet. The chlorine and fluorine in tap water results in burnt leaf tips, eventually leading to the whole leaf drying up. Dracaenas can live like this for a long time though, so it's not immediately fatal. I hear that tap water that is left out in an open container for a day allows the fluorine and chlorine to evaporate out safely for dracaenas, but bottled water is always a safe bet for a happy looking plant.

Right in front of the window is perfect!

c) Pineapple dracaena doesn't grow much taller than five feet, so at least the posture problems are mitigated. :P A garden pole will definitely help keep it upright. Unfortunately, the only options dracaenas have to be more sturdy is to add more dirt around it and pack it up. It can then eventually grow more supporting roots like that.

Also, I've seen a lot of discussion about this plant photo, and I'm so glad that you guys liked it!

I hope the people who have bought their own Begonia rex 'escargot' find much joy in their plants! :unsmith:

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 21, 2014

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
For the goon looking for good balcony plants, get either the Wave Petunias or Supertunias. They grow like weeds and mound and cascade and like the other dude said flower like it's their last hour on earth.

I have a general question about plants now. I'm looking at both a type of stonecrop and a spiralis corkscrew, but I've got the option of three different size plants in both.

On the one hand, the large plants are more established and will probably do better in the ground from the start, right?

On the other hand, we're still arguing over whether under our trees is partial shade or full shade when the leaves come in, so maybe buying the smaller plants would allow us time to move them if we choose location poorly.

I really really want the spiralis for under our weeping cherry trees, but the person paying for it wrinkled her nose. I want the stonecrop for some ground cover in our rocks, but it's a super hard area to grow plants in, so I'm wary of just about everything.

Here's the plot. The sun hits the bricks on the house and bakes the rocks in front.

Also, for plants that say to "lift in the fall" (dahlias in our zone 6), does that mean forever or just the first 1 or two years you plant them? And again, if you go big to start, can you get away with not digging them up at the end of the year?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

EagerSleeper posted:

I hear that tap water that is left out in an open container for a day allows the fluorine and chlorine to evaporate out safely

This is true. However, increasingly, municipalities have switched from chlorine to chloramine. Chloramine has the advantage (from the human safety point of view) that it does not evaporate out of water quickly. This is good for keeping the microbiotic load of tap water low for longer so that (for example) water that's sat in a cistern or turned-off water heater for a while won't start growing things.

I don't know if chloramine is also harmful to this plant, but I have to treat any tap water I use with my frogs and lizards. Pet stores sell very cheap water treatment stuff; a drop or two from an eyedropper bottle will treat big buckets instantly. So that's probably a cheaper option compared to using bottled water for houseplants.

In my case, I actually buy distilled water, but that's because doing so also keeps the glass of my terrariums clean, and prevents mineral buildup in my misting systems. That's obviously overkill for watering plants, though.

Anoulie
Oct 8, 2013

EagerSleeper posted:

a) That's a Dracaena deremensis "Janet Craig Compacta," a.k.a. pineapple dracaena. I have one of those! :) They need a good source of light close to a window, but they are as easy as lucky bamboo to take care of, because they are cousins of them.

b) The only tough thing about all dracaenas is avoiding the use of tap water straight from the faucet. The chlorine and fluorine in tap water results in burnt leaf tips, eventually leading to the whole leaf drying up. Dracaenas can live like this for a long time though, so it's not immediately fatal. I hear that tap water that is left out in an open container for a day allows the fluorine and chlorine to evaporate out safely for dracaenas, but bottled water is always a safe bet for a happy looking plant.

Right in front of the window is perfect!

c) Pineapple dracaena doesn't grow much taller than five feet, so at least the posture problems are mitigated. :P A garden pole will definitely help keep it upright. Unfortunately, the only options dracaenas have to be more sturdy is to add more dirt around it and pack it up. It can then eventually grow more supporting roots like that.

Thank you! I thought it might be a Dracaena, but had no idea which.
I use filtered tap water anyway (for myself to drink) and give that to the plant, too. It usually sits in the filter for a few hours before I drink it/water the plant with it, too. We have far less chlorine in our tap water than you guys (Americans) do, anyway, so I'm hoping the leaves will be fine. (I actually just looked it up, and they do use chlorine rather than chloramine or something, but only occasionally and up to 0.1 mg/L.) I wasn't gonna start buying bottled water just for this plant.
I guess I'll acquire a garden pole somewhere, then... I don't know if more dirt would help this plant, though, since it's not the whole plant that's unsteady, just one of the three stems.
Thanks for your help :)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

unprofessional posted:

Kenning, you keep giving me the the CP itch...

Do it man. You're a plant guy, you'll take to CPs easy. They are so fun to grow. It's just barely shy of having really cool pets.

deadly claris
Jan 5, 2007

M'aiq thinks deadly claris is best partner in crime.
Look at these Dame's Rockets! Can anyone who is familiar with plants tell me what is going on here? These flowers are everywhere up here, but only in the typical colours (white, lavender, and purple) with solid green. In the hundreds I have seen, this one and two-three others that have sprouted up around her are the only ones that have these colourings (or will when the buds open.) There is also a "diluted" version - one that is white with a very milky purple, but I couldn't get a decent shot and there were only two blooms anyway, not very impressive. You can see in the leaves that they are sort of splotchy with dark and light greens. They are really very pretty.

I know that Dame's Rocket can get very invasive very fast and I have been weeding ... many of them, but these are gorgeous. If I harvest their seeds, is this a mutation that is likely to pass on?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's variegation which can have a few causes. Just a quick search turns up a few threads that suggest that its a mosaic virus for Dame's Rocket that causes that colouring though. Harmless to mildly detrimental to ornamentals, i.e. they'll be weaker than plants which have their full pigmentation, but nothing seriously harmful in the short term. Bad if you want to keep all types in your garden though, the virus can eventually spread.

deadly claris
Jan 5, 2007

M'aiq thinks deadly claris is best partner in crime.
Thank you. I've always had an appreciation for plants and wildlife, but never much knowledge of it. We're renting a place now and cleared out a good bit of brush and now it is blooming with all sorts of things that look pretty, but I have no idea what to call.

It's a pretty mutation, but I'd rather it not become a problem. Thanks for the help. :) Searching for "mosaic" was a lot more helpful than "tie-dye Dame's Rocket." Really wanted it to be a variegation, but it does look an awful lot like the virus.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Drosera burmannii caught a fly! Click for big big.

party hat
Apr 22, 2010
Balcony goon here! Re: wave petunias: I did those last year. They were pretty but they certainly did take over and got all lanky so I opted not to use them this year.

I got a few things though. I now have marigolds, celosias, pansies (not sure why I got those, they're not my favourite but the selection kind of sucked), snap dragons and white mini roses. The roses are protesting but I think they'll pick up. It took me a while to plant the pansies and I thought I certainly killed them, however a day after planting them they perked right up! I love the celosias, so whoever mentioned those, thank you! I'll get a picture once it all starts filling in.

The night after I did most of the planting, I think a squirrel tried to steal a marigold because there was a big trench around the root ball. :argh:

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I'll be moving into a house with a very small lawn that is fairly unkempt and weed-y. There may be about 500 to 750 sqft of lawn that can be maintained, so I was wondering if anybody had any tips about when/how/what to buy to restart a lawn from general garbage.

I can't destroy the yard in the process because I'm renting. I'm picturing something like throwing weird pellets on the ground, and the weeds will die and nice grass will grow.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

zfleeman posted:

I'll be moving into a house with a very small lawn that is fairly unkempt and weed-y. There may be about 500 to 750 sqft of lawn that can be maintained, so I was wondering if anybody had any tips about when/how/what to buy to restart a lawn from general garbage.

I can't destroy the yard in the process because I'm renting. I'm picturing something like throwing weird pellets on the ground, and the weeds will die and nice grass will grow.

Weed and feed with a watering can.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

gender illusionist posted:

I've never really messed around with plants, so this doesn't mean much to me. Are you saying I pluck the weeds individually?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

zfleeman posted:

I've never really messed around with plants, so this doesn't mean much to me. Are you saying I pluck the weeds individually?

Weed and feed is a product you can get from any store that does garden stuff - you put a bit of it in a load of water and spread it all over your garden, just don't get it on plants you want to keep.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

gender illusionist posted:

I'm going to disagree with using weed and feed products. Weeds are best treated when they are actively growing. It would be best to put down a general fertilizer first, then in a couple of weeks spray a broad spectrum herbicide. The best time to do these things is during the spring and fall growing seasons. If you're moving in right now, you might still be within the window to do this- depending on your area. If you miss the spring growing season, don't fertilize until the fall. Just water over the summer. When the fall growth flush starts, spread a balanced fertilizer (10-10-10 or whatever) at the rate on the bag. Then in 2 weeks, spray some Ortho Weed-B-Gon or similar herbicide.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

party hat posted:

I love the celosias, so whoever mentioned those, thank you!

No problem, I love celosias too. Fun fact: celosia is actually edible. Don't get too excited though, it tastes like nothing.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

unprofessional posted:

This is an Echinopsis, of which there is a fantastic collection of hybrids that the Huntington garden sells for only $7 a plant, if you're looking to start collecting.
I should not have clicked on that site because now I am like 100 bucks poorer! Holy crap those are beautiful! Exploring those catcus also led me to
http://www.mattslandscape.com/trichocereus/ I've never seen flowers like this. Fortunately I don't have any more farting around cash til I get paid again. Can't wait to get these into the ground.

Ironically, the array of tiny succulents I just ordered are going to be potted right next to my container pond. Apparently I'm only interested in plants that either don't want water or live it.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

Kenning posted:

Drosera burmannii caught a fly! Click for big big.

Maybe you can help me. I picked up a Drosera capensis last weekend and he looks great, however he has a lot of bug corpses stuck on him. Do I just leave them there, or do I remove them? I haven't seen him curl around anything and I was worried maybe the dead bugs were messing with his signals or something? I would love some advice.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
I can't believe how excited I am at alyssum seeds sprouting in the rock garden! And the accidental asters are sprouting too, so cute and tiny.

I see there's a gardening thread linked, but the link is broken. Where can I find that thread?

I've seen some cacti and succulents in the stores and I look and think of you guys and all your cool collections then think nooooo, I kill indoor plants. Totally want one of those little rock (butt) looking ones. I just can't stand the karma if it dies. I've killed both lucky bamboo and air plants. :(

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
^^^^
Almost like a horror movie/medical drama set in Renaissance Europe, sometimes you wind up killing your patients/plants in the process of learning about them. Lucky bamboo and air plants are pretty easy to kill by accident anyway without knowledge that tap water harms lucky bamboo or how much wateer air plants are comfortable with.

By the way, thanks for alerting me about the 404s on those links in the first posts. I've been a poo poo OP and had been neglecting my thread for a long time. I've deleted those links.

That70sHeidi posted:

I have a general question about plants now. I'm looking at both a type of stonecrop and a spiralis corkscrew, but I've got the option of three different size plants in both.

On the one hand, the large plants are more established and will probably do better in the ground from the start, right?

On the other hand, we're still arguing over whether under our trees is partial shade or full shade when the leaves come in, so maybe buying the smaller plants would allow us time to move them if we choose location poorly.

I really really want the spiralis for under our weeping cherry trees, but the person paying for it wrinkled her nose. I want the stonecrop for some ground cover in our rocks, but it's a super hard area to grow plants in, so I'm wary of just about everything.

Here's the plot. The sun hits the bricks on the house and bakes the rocks in front.

Also, for plants that say to "lift in the fall" (dahlias in our zone 6), does that mean forever or just the first 1 or two years you plant them? And again, if you go big to start, can you get away with not digging them up at the end of the year?

Sometimes bigger plants are better, in the case of having more sheer material to work with, but on the other leaf, some plants have worse times transplanting to different locations than others. It really depends on what you have unfortunately. For sure (provided that you have acclimated the plants to raised levels of sun exposure and climate first), stonecrops have little problem transplanting.

I'm not too sure about Spiralis though since it's a moisture lover. It might not be appropriate for the sunbaked rocks area, and even right next to and under a cherry tree can be difficult for any plant to grow, but still it might be worth the shot to try growing. :)

But, yeah stonecrop should be able to sutvive the sunbaked rocks area. Hope things turn out well!

Also, yes you'd have to lift the dahlia tubers every winter to prevent them from turning into mush. They could get acclimated to normally cold temperatures, but all it takes is one cold snap, one night where it's -15°F instead of -1°F, to kill them.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 31, 2014

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

That70sHeidi posted:

I see there's a gardening thread linked, but the link is broken. Where can I find that thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
My Synsepalum dulcificum is fruiting! :toot:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tremors posted:

My Synsepalum dulcificum is fruiting! :toot:

Your hour of eating various spicy, sour, bitter, etc., foods to try the different effects approaches.

Edit: there used to be many other gardening threads here on SA, but they fell into the archives by now. The only other gardening thread that remains is the Veggie and Herb gardening thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672), if that answers any questions.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 1, 2014

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Zratha posted:

Maybe you can help me. I picked up a Drosera capensis last weekend and he looks great, however he has a lot of bug corpses stuck on him. Do I just leave them there, or do I remove them? I haven't seen him curl around anything and I was worried maybe the dead bugs were messing with his signals or something? I would love some advice.

I just let the old leaves die off and get replaced. D. capensis is a pretty vigorous plant. Make sure it gets distilled or RO water and as much light as you can possibly give it. 6 hours of direct sunlight a day is ideal.

Old leaves that have already eaten usually don't really curl. New fresh leaves will curl up.

I have a post on my blog about feeding sundews, if you're interested.

http://www.sundews-etc.com/2014/04/cultivation-guides-feeding-sundews.html

Kenning fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 4, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
We just bought a few tiny berry bushes. We live in Edmonton (zone 3b :gonk:) so we got hardy varieties of blueberries, raspberries, and Saskatoon berries. They're definitely less than a year old.

Guides say to pinch off blossoms and berries In the first year to promote growth. These bushes already have some berry buds and a few blossoms. Is it absolutely critical to pinch those off, or is it too late or what?

Linco
Apr 1, 2004
So I just bought a new home, and have been working on the landscaping the past few days. The picture below seems to be a strategically placed green plants, but my fiance thinks it is a weed. Anyone have any idea what it might be?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Linco fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 1, 2014

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Linco posted:

So I just bought a new home, and have been working on the landscaping the past few days. The picture below seems to be a strategically placed plant, but my fiance thinks it is a weed. Anyone have any idea what it might be?

Looks like a solar powered lamp.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

Kenning posted:

I just let the old leaves die off and get replaced. D. capensis is a pretty vigorous plant. Make sure it gets distilled or RO water and as much light as you can possibly give it. 6 hours of direct sunlight a day is ideal.

Old leaves that have already eaten usually don't really curl. New fresh leaves will curl up.

I have a post on my blog about feeding sundews, if you're interested.

http://www.sundews-etc.com/2014/04/cultivation-guides-feeding-sundews.html?m=1

Thank you for this, it is just what I wanted to know! I had read that you shouldn't let more than 2 bugs gather on a leaf, but it didn't say anything about what to do if it happened. Thank you for the link as well.

Right now he lives on my grow shelf which has the lights on all day. I mist him a couple of times a day with demineralized water when he looks a bit dry, and keep his dirt always looking dark brown with the same kind of water.

I'm not sure if you can tell from this picture, but I think maybe he is going to flower? If you look near the center you can see a little bunch of something forming.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Cross posting from the small questions thread.

Can anyone identify these woody plants for me? They're growing in Edmonton. They may be wild.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

tuyop posted:

We just bought a few tiny berry bushes. We live in Edmonton (zone 3b :gonk:) so we got hardy varieties of blueberries, raspberries, and Saskatoon berries. They're definitely less than a year old.

Guides say to pinch off blossoms and berries In the first year to promote growth. These bushes already have some berry buds and a few blossoms. Is it absolutely critical to pinch those off, or is it too late or what?

I've never grown blueberries before, but I'm guessing that it's to promote energy being spent towards the roots and leaves at the time of its life when it's still not much more than a stick in dirt. Pinching berries and flowers off should help the plant become more lush, hence more likely to survive. This minor form of pruning is what I do with my basil and small chile plant in order to keep their vigor instead of becoming leggy.

Unfortunately I suck at identifying young woody plants. The last photo that Tuyop has though looks a little bit like poison sumac though.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Leaves are too serrated for sumac. Personally, anything that small and woody has all the hallmarks of a self-seeded weed of some variety. People rarely purchase woody plants that small.

MSU Extension has a class on blueberries: http://ce.ingham.org/Horticulture/OnlineClasses.aspx

The northern peninsula has fantastic blueberry growth, so I bet you'll do really well in Canada.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The soil here is just amazing. I come from Nova Scotia and back there it's all like four inches deep of rocky poo poo before you hit a slab of granite or glacial till.

Here, I dug tons of holes yesterday and didn't hit a single rock. All the soil was black and full of grubs and worms and life, it was beautiful and all the same down to at least 14 inches. Goddamn prairies.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Zratha posted:

Thank you for this, it is just what I wanted to know! I had read that you shouldn't let more than 2 bugs gather on a leaf, but it didn't say anything about what to do if it happened. Thank you for the link as well.

Right now he lives on my grow shelf which has the lights on all day. I mist him a couple of times a day with demineralized water when he looks a bit dry, and keep his dirt always looking dark brown with the same kind of water.

I'm not sure if you can tell from this picture, but I think maybe he is going to flower? If you look near the center you can see a little bunch of something forming.

Your D. capensis looks pretty good, and yeah that's definitely a flower stalk forming. If you like, you'll have thousands of seeds to start new plants with in a couple months. My recommendation for water would be to just keep that tray it's sitting on full of distilled or RO water, which will be very easy to maintain. Your light levels look fine, but more light will lead to more upright growth and better dew production. I'm running 12 T8 bulbs in my collection right now, so they get a lot of light. All in all don't worry too much, things look pretty good for you and your plant. If you want more information than you could possibly use (and want to risk getting seriously bitten by the sundew bug) consider checking out Grow Sundews. It's the best resource out there for sundew care and cultivation information.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

Kenning posted:

Your D. capensis looks pretty good, and yeah that's definitely a flower stalk forming. If you like, you'll have thousands of seeds to start new plants with in a couple months. My recommendation for water would be to just keep that tray it's sitting on full of distilled or RO water, which will be very easy to maintain. Your light levels look fine, but more light will lead to more upright growth and better dew production. I'm running 12 T8 bulbs in my collection right now, so they get a lot of light. All in all don't worry too much, things look pretty good for you and your plant. If you want more information than you could possibly use (and want to risk getting seriously bitten by the sundew bug) consider checking out Grow Sundews. It's the best resource out there for sundew care and cultivation information.

Awesome, thanks again! I really appreciate the advice. I already checked out Grow Sundews and a million other sites, so I think it is too late to prevent the sundew bug :) I actually have some VFT and pitcher plant seeds I am trying to germinate right now as well.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I want to post some pictures of the Eagercrew, the plants that have been growing with me for a while now.

This is my Mexican Milkweed plant's (Aesclepias curassivica) seed pods. I was really surprised to see these pop up especially since these guys...

...usually have eaten half the plant before I arrive. I'm hoping that those seed pods will remain safe long enough to finish developing, since I'm really hoping to plant some more milkweed.

It's always in flower, looking so lovely even during winter. Even if it was doing badly for some reason, I could always just dig up the tuber, and grow it in a pot instead. Love this plant!

Went outside one day, and found Sweet William growing underneath my pine tree. I'm pretty glad and fairly surprised to see an English cottage plant growing in such an inhospitable location, where only desert succulents do well, but hey, you rock, little plant! Maybe I should try pinching the top leaves off so that way it would branch out a bit? It's pretty small, and I'm not sure.

One of the lizards out of two without fear, as I've not given them any reason to.
Sex: I think it's a guy. It has a red flap under it's chin that it likes to show off.
Zodiac: ???
Hobbies: eating bugs, following me around, acting territorial.
Dislikes: politics, super hot days.

Somehow, the pot where I liked to toss miscellaneous leaf cuttings has grown beautiful young plants. I'm not sure what species nor variety most of these are, but all this time I was contemplating buying an Echeveria 'Black Prince,' there was one in my garden the whole time.

Me demonstrating my preferred method of plant propagation: tossing poo poo on a bare patch of ground, and hoping it lives. This purslane has roots already, and later flowered (the color was pink)

THE ODD COUPLE. One of my favorite group plantings. They were both doing shittily until I put them together. One is an ornamental chile plant, the other was said to be a Calandrinia spectablis, but I really think it's an Echeveria. One is cool and blue, the other is dainty and spicy. They fight crime heat.

I really took a bad picture of this, but I have no idea what this plant is. It has whorled leaf arrangements in a group of four, hairy stems with the hairiest being being on new growth, and it's growing these strange flowering catkin/spike things. I grew this plant from leaf cuttings even though it's not exactly a typical succulent just to see if I could, and it worked but I have no idea what it is.

Purslane, Echeveria harmsii, and the Caesalpinia pulcherrima that I have not managed to kill yet, and a Mexican Breath of Heaven plant that was not as fortunate. That caesalpinia/red bird of paradise was a seedling that had been in a plastic disposable cup for about six months, looking dead. When I went to throw the poor thing away, I found it had a new leaf :staredog:, so I moved it to its new home where it's been doing well ever since.

Astilbe growing in zone 9. Still trying not to fry its heat sensitive roots, but it has been actively growing well in this goddamn sun. :supaburn: Ask me if you want to know how I'm doing it, I can write a :words: post.

Lastly, my first gladiolus flower. I bought the corms in a pack for 50 cents at a dollar store, and after two years of failing to grow them correctly (the guy who we hired to cut our grass chopped them up and also stole most of my plants), I'm so glad to see the color yellow. Gladiolus is such a happy plant. :swoon:

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 4, 2014

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

EagerSleeper posted:

One of the lizards out of two without fear, as I've not given them any reason to.
Sex: I think it's a guy. It has a red flap under it's chin that it likes to show off.
Zodiac: ???
Hobbies: eating bugs, following me around, acting territorial.
Dislikes: politics, super hot days.

What you got there is your basic green anole. My yard was lousy with them when I was a kid, you could find them everywhere. They're largely being supplanted by brown anoles (a much less awesome introduced species) the last few years though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

deadly claris posted:

Look at these Dame's Rockets! Can anyone who is familiar with plants tell me what is going on here? These flowers are everywhere up here, but only in the typical colours (white, lavender, and purple) with solid green. In the hundreds I have seen, this one and two-three others that have sprouted up around her are the only ones that have these colourings (or will when the buds open.) There is also a "diluted" version - one that is white with a very milky purple, but I couldn't get a decent shot and there were only two blooms anyway, not very impressive. You can see in the leaves that they are sort of splotchy with dark and light greens. They are really very pretty.
Try checking out Michael Pollen's "The Botany of Desire" if you're interested in this. The Tulip section, specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
I took some pictures and I have some questions!

Can I use gravel as mulch? We've had a termite problem and a money problem, so since we have the gravel in our rock beds, and nothing eats rocks, I was thinking it might help my container plants?

Some shots of the lovely celosia I found at Kmart that I love to pieces:

Overhead shot, look how BIG!

They're so fluffy I love'em.

And they've got tons of little sprouts, but what do I do with them? Leave them alone?

I did some research and if I let the plumes dry out I can harvest the seeds to replant next year. Excited!

My lantana, with all the thorns, smells like spicy lemon.

It's just now really taking off after two big nighttime rains, but I'm wondering if I should prune it back yet or let it go. I love that it double blooms, it is so sweet to see little twin buds!

The light of my life, the reason I bought 12 plants, my gazania. You can really see how painterly the strokes look! The others haven't really had spectacular blooms yet but again, the rain is perking them up.

I pulled the gazanias out of the big planters and got them hanging baskets by themselves, so they don't get bogged down in all the soil in the containers. I wish I could get more than 2 or 3 of them to bloom at the same time. Should I cut them back too?

The peony party looking healthy as gently caress. Get'em girls!

This was taken earlier, of the spot where all the drat wild onions were. It's behind the peonies (and daffodils, which I hate) along a drop before you hit the azalea bush. I need to come up with some kind of something cool for back in there.

Oh, and I touched every single rock you can see in that picture, and about 400 more you can't.

This viney bitch is sprouting in our azalea bush. I want to get rid of it, but it's not poisonous, right?

An oddly creative shot of the newly raised bed for the creeping phlox and filler alyssum. Phlox are doing good since pulling them and replanting!

I took shots of my directly sown pink alyssum so I could really count the seedlings. The first plot has none, the second has this one (although looking today I see two!!), and the third is fantastic!

I forget to get shots of accidental aster plot, but they're doing good. I'm hoping I can take the seedlings I thin out and put them in an egg carton to grow further and then replant elsewhere. Fingers crossed.