Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

Yorri moves and Sions helps him chug a healing poiton. Ghepard has given the far hag a terrible wound, though she still remains upright. And, once Barnabus moves out of the line of fire, Grundle tries to burn the hags to the wet ground. The hags burn pretty well, though they still remain upright, and madder than ever. Though one of the hags looks about ready to try and flee herself.

Assuming Barnabus moves out of the way so Grundle can burn the hags they take full damage, and Hag 4 is on the verge of death. Hag 4 is near dead, Hag 2 needs a fairly solid hit to go down, and Hag 3 is still doing fairly well. Sion administers a healing potion to Yorri and Yorri heals 9 hp.

Initiative

22 Catalyn :rolldice:
21 Ghepard
21 Maechen
15 Barnabus :rolldice:
14 Yorri :siren: At 2 HP and 3 THP :siren:
11 Grundle
10 Sion
05 Green Hags

Map not updated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Barnabus

Hearing Grundle begin whispering in the arcane tongue, Barnabus brought his shield up to block any weird effects that might come his way. His hammer arm swings wide around the shield at the hag between his dwarven brothers. The swing didn't connect, and he hoped the mage had something tricky up his sleeves.

Attacking Green Hag 3: 1d20+4+1d4 8 vs. AC 1d8+3+1d4 11 damage

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

One hag lashes out at Yorri, still trying to put the dwarf down, but with no success. Another rips into Maechen again, though Maechen puts up a strong front. The final remaining hag has seen the way this is going, and attempts to flee.

Well I believe that is a long enough wait. One hag misses, another hits for 12 damage, and the final Disengages then tries to swim away.

Initiative

21 Ghepard :rolldice:
21 Maechen :rolldice:
14 Yorri At 11 HP and 3 THP :rolldice:
11 Grundle :rolldice:
10 Sion :rolldice:
05 Green Hags

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Ghepard

Being the spiteful prick that he is, Ghepard decides to finish off the fleeing hag before she can make good her escape; not like any of these dwarves could catch her anyway, it really is for the best..

Longbow vs. Hag #4: IT'S A loving CRIT, IT DIES. NO SERIOUSLY.

"PLENTY MORE WHERE THAT CAME FROM!" he taunts the remaining hags.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 29, 2014

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Sion

As Sion had hoped, Grundle's spell gave Yurri enough reprieve from the action to turn his back on the enemy. The two work swiftly to get the potion administered, the weariness in his eyes fading in moments. With renewed strength, the dwarf turns just in time to deflect the Hags increased aggression.

With Ghepard on the fleeing Hag and all three dwarven companions swarming the other, Sion looks to Maechen. From here, it looks like the damage to her is beginning to take hold. Working through muck to get a better shot, he draws on his shortbow once more and takes aim.

Moving one square to the right, one square down and right (ending to the right of Barnabus).

Bow shot to Hag 2: 1#1d20+4+1d4 10 1#1d6+3+1d4 11

There goes my hitting streak.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 29, 2014

Lacerda
Apr 20, 2004

Grundle

Grundle reaches into his spell component pouch and palms a bit of fleece as he casts Minor Illusion over himself. The dwarf mage appears to shudder and twitch, his skin bubbling and frothing as it turns green and warty. He more than doubles in size (fits in a 10-foot cube) and puts on his best "scary" voice as he cackles madly. "HAW HAW HAW," says the now trollish dwarf. "IT LOOKS LIKE THE EATER HAS BECOME THE EATEN. PREPARE THE SPICES, MY MINIONS! THIS ONE IS FIRST!" The horrific GrundleTroll licks its cracked lips and exposes huge fangs.

DC 12 Wisdom or Perception to notice this is an illusion, or alternatively, just interact with it. Hopefully Hag #3 isn't feeling all that brave anymore.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Yorri

Feeling much better thanks to the health potion, Yorri winds up, swings and again misses his target

Attack Haq 3: 2#1d20+1d4+4 9 10 1d8+3+1d4 12

Fighting Style(Protection) as a reaction interrupt if Hag 3 attacks anyone. It imposes a disadvantage on their attack roll.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

The fleeing hag is struck down by Ghepard's arrow, it seems the hags must learn that they cannot flee from this man. Sion tries to follow up with his own attack against the hag fighting Maechen, but fails to connect. Meanwhile Maechen has taken the opportunity to take her axe to this same hag, striking its head from its shoulders.

Yorrie swings and misses at the final hag, while Grundle tries something different. To the eyes of all watching Grundle appears to transform into a hungry troll.

Okay this thing is almost in the bag.

Initiative

21 Ghepard
21 Maechen
14 Yorri At 11 HP and 3 THP
11 Grundle
10 Sion
05 Green Hags

Map not updated,only Hag 3 remains alive.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Barnabus

Attacking Green Hag 3: 1d20+4+1d4 21 1d8+3+1d4 14

Swing and a (hopeful) kill

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

Baranbus swings at the final hag, and nearly knocks her down with the force of his blow. Yet she remains upright, and pissed, and will likely be looking for some retaliation.

Swing and a well not quite kill, they are a couple levels higher than you guys, though you have been doing remarkably well. She does have less hp remaining than how much damage you just did.

Initiative

21 Ghepard
21 Maechen
15 Barnabus
14 Yorri At 11 HP and 3 THP
11 Grundle
10 Sion
05 Green Hags

Map not updated,only Hag 3 remains alive.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Catalyn Woolrider

The fight nearly over, Catalyn is determined to not let the last of the hags escape. Another pull of the crossbow's trigger and a bolt finds its target, burying itself squarely in the hag's back.

Moving to one square east of Barnabus
Crossbow vs. Hag 3: 1d20+3+1d4 23 1d6+2+1d4 10 piercing damage.

pre:
Catalyn Woolrider - Lightfoot Halfing Bard (Level 1)

STR - 12    12 (+1)			HP: 7/7			Performances:
CON - 12    12 (+1)			AC: 15			  Call to Battle
DEX - 13 +1 14 (+2)			Hit Dice: 1d6		  Inspire Competence
INT - 14    14 (+2)(proficiency) 	Init: +2
WIS - 09    09 (-1)			Proficiency: +1
CHA - 15 +1 16 (+3)(proficiency) 

MELEE ATTACK
   Hand Axe +2 to hit; 1d6+1 slashing; range 20/60 (light, thrown)
RANGED ATTACK
   Hand Axe +3 to hit; 1d6+2 slashing; range 20/60 (light, thrown)   
   Hand Crossbow +3 to hit; 1d6+2 piercing; range 30/120 (ammunition, light, loading)

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

Catalyn's bolt flies through the air and strikes the last hag, determined not to let her escape. The hag manages to remain standing, but it is a very near thing. Bleeding from multiple wounds the hag begins to flee.

Finish Her!

Initiative

21 Ghepard :rolldice:
21 Maechen :rolldice:
14 Yorri At 11 HP and 3 THP :rolldice:
11 Grundle :rolldice:
10 Sion :rolldice:
05 Green Hags

Lacerda
Apr 20, 2004

Grundle

Grundle will step out of his troll illusion and throw a dart at the fleeing hag.

DART AWAY!: 1d20+4+1d4 21 1d4+3+1d4 8

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion

Stumbling from the muck disrupted his aim more than he was willing to admit. He was genuinely happy to see the Hags head liberated from her shoulders, but now the other Hag was fleeing. Retribution was on his mind as he lined up one more arrow.

Shooting the remaining, fleeing Hag: 1#1d20+4+1d4 22 1#1d6+3+1d4 8

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

Grundle and Sion react at the same time. A dart and an arrow are launched her way and the hag falls. The battle is over. And you seem to be doing fairly well, though Yorri may want to wait for about a minute to shake off the withering touch and regain his strength.

Victory! And 520 xp to be spread between you. This now puts the group at 580/1500 to level 2.

Lacerda
Apr 20, 2004

Grundle

"I have no love of killing, but those creatures were a menace that couldn't be permitted to live," says Grundle as he moves to retrieve his darts and axe. He looks around. "We made this swamp a bit safer today. Now it's only mostly deadly." He glances over at Yorri and Maechen. "Are the two of you alright?"

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion

Sion strains to remember how the scripture ended, finally completing the mantra and allowing the persistent yellow fumes to disperse from the party. Feeling momentarily drained, he slogs slowly through the muck, reclaiming what ammunition he can. Using a long branch to reel in the water-buoyant hag, he reflects on the encounter, shifting through a series of thoughts and sensations. In the end, the lifeless Hag brought about no real sensation, perhaps some relief. A concern for his companions still on his mind. Grundle sums it up well.

Reclaiming 2 of 4 arrows fired. 17xArrows available.

"Forgive my insistence, but a restful moment to look over our injuries is a must. I've plenty of supplies, but could use an extra pair of hands." His eyes look to Maechen with concern.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 29, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

Maechen quickly binds what scratches she has and turns to Sion and Grundle. "Your concern is touching but I am okay. As I said I know these swamps like the back of my hands, I can handle this much at least."

And really she does not look all that bad, despite getting hit more than Yorri.

Lacerda
Apr 20, 2004

Grundle

"You've more than proved your mettle, those creatures were awful!" Grundle frowns and draws out his pipe, using their quick rest as an opportunity to smoke. "Is the swamp usually this busy or is this unusual?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

"Quite a few creatures make the swamp their home. Unfortunately many of them move around from time to time, so one can never tell what one will come across."

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion

Years of clerical duties would normally demand him to examine Maechen's injuries himself. However, this isn't a church. Neither do his patients normally have weapons in which to convince him such examinations would be unnecessary. Reluctantly he leaves Maechen to her self administered aid, offering any assistance to Yurri should he need it. After which, he finds a not-as-wet spot of ground to clean out his muck infested boots. A fruitless task, knowing there is still yet more swamp to cover.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 29, 2014

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Yorri

Sitting down for a minute after the fight, his head clears and he's ready to move on. "Thanks, I'm fine now. just caught me off guard for a moment there.

Short rest and we can move on.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
By my math, if I recover half my arrows, I should be at 37 remaining/40 starting ammo, after the two fights.

Ghepard

"You all fought well, but I get the feeling we just happened to be luckier than they were, today." Ghepard pauses to stretch out his shoulder, "This swamp is dangerous; slow to move through and no cover to speak of. Definitely not ideal for me, don't know about you folks.."

"Any indication how close it is to sundown?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

Maechen calculates how far you have gone, when you left, and even looks at the sky. After a moment she says, "about seven more hours."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard

Ghepard lets out a groan and rolls his eyes.
"Guessin' that means we keep marching.. Lead the way." he says, as he begins to absentmindedly twirl his dagger in one hand.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion

A few minutes spent cleaning out boots and wiped down chainmail helps his own moral for the time being, but the muck on his cloak will forever stain. At times like this, he laments his relics engraved design, chunks of gunk sticking stubbornly in tight grooves.

After all said and done, Sion feels quite well given the situation. The hours spent running along forest floors paying off during this trip through rough terrain. Archery lessons, as required of all priestly individuals, might have saved a life today, if not his own. There was still much left to do, but he was ready to face it with his competent companions.

With his equipment back on and looking fairly renewed, Sion takes to his feet with quarterstaff in hand.

"With any luck, that will be the last surprise for us on this trip."

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Barnabus

"Yes, well, let's hope our guide will see to that. I'd hate to stumble another another group with their backs turned to us." Barnabus isn't exactly blaming Maechen, but maybe she'll take the hint to be more careful. They should be saving their strength for the real foes ahead.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

Maechen returns to the march through the marsh. You slog through for another hour when you begin to hear some singing.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard

Ghepard holds is arms out, motioning for everyone to stop, shushing them as he does.
He sniffs the air and perks up his ears, hoping to be able to make out some of the lyrics.

Perception? 2d20k1+3 = 16

Ghepard's Languages (if it makes a difference):
Common
Elven
Orc
Gnoll

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

The singing is beautiful, but you cannot recognize any words, or a language. It is enchanting though. So beautiful, so pristine, so pure.

Ghepard needs to make a Wisdom save.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard

Wisdom Save: 1d20+3 = 15
And, in case THIS applies...
Fey Ancestry: You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic cannot put you to sleep.
Advantage Roll: 1d20+3 = 16 :toot:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Assuming that A) I succeed on my save, and; B) this isn't metagamey as gently caress:
Ghepard tells Catalyn to start playing something. Loudly.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

Ghepard shrugs off the song, quite easily. By now he has pinpointed the source as something in a sparse tree nearly three hundred feet away.

You do indeed have advantage on that roll, not that you needed it.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion

So distant was the sound, Sion nearly mistook it for some long lost song clawing its way back into his mind. When Ghepard gestured for the group to stop and grow silent, he knew something was array. Further worry creeped in when he noticed Ghepard very briefly seemed to have been absent mindedly staring off into space, only to shake it off just as quickly.

He speaks as quietly as he can. "Ghepard? What am I hearing?"

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard

"It's some kind of magic, I reckon. Woven into a song. I wouldn't recommend listening too closely." Ghepard takes out a new cigar and gnaws at it. "I'm no expert with magic nor music, but I've got a hunch if the halfling fiddles loud enough, it might protect us from the spell's compulsion. I'm open to suggestions, though, if anyone has any better ideas.."

Clearly a bit out of his element, Ghepard sports a frown across his brow as he ponders the situation.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Barnabus

Barnabus pulls out his hammer and shield and stretched his arms, ready for another fight with mystic foes. He's anxious to continue forward and get the dirty business, but is hesitant after the strangeness with the hags.
He waits for Grundle or Catalyn to start talking arcane, but if they don't, he'll inch forward to investigate the noise.

If they don't post soon, go ahead and assume that Barnabus is going to see what the commotion is, moving stealthily.

Dexterity (Stealth): 1d20-1 1

Welp.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

As everyone stops, and Ghepard avoids the charming song, Maechen listens carefully. Then she scans the horizon and informs you, "sounds like the song of a harpy. I only hear one, but there could be more. If you wish we can take a detour to try and avoid them."

Lacerda
Apr 20, 2004

Grundle

"No sense in picking battles we can avoid," says Grundle. "But if we avoid the harpies, how much time do we stand to lose? What other beasts might we encounter in their stead? Perhaps it's better to go with the evil you know."

Grundle rummages through his spell component pouch and pulls out a few blobs of sticky wax, rolling some of it into tiny balls that he jams into his ears. "PERSONALLY, I'LL LEAVE THE DECISION TO MAECHEN, SHE KNOWS THE AREA BETTER THAN ANYONE. STILL, NO HARM IN TAKING A FEW PRECAUTIONS. WOULD ANYONE LIKE SOME WAX?"

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion

Graciously accepting the wax plugs from Grundle, Sion doubles up by tightening the thick hood on his cloak. Overly cautious perhaps, but without knowing what Harpy's are capable of he'd rather be safe than mind controlled. At least, that's what he believes the song would do.

He takes note of Barnabus's eagerness to investigate. "I leave it for the group to decide. One less monster won't better this bog of misery and we still have distance to cover.." Sion pauses a moment, recalling how certain good aligned deities demand the eradication of evil in all its forms, ".. Still, it is a monster that can cause harm to someone, somewhere."

Should we choose to attack, which so far we're likely inclined to, I'd like to make use of Sion's bow range by being 100 feet of the creature, in hopes that I won't need to roll a very high Stealth Check.

Future stealth check on Harpy, disadvantage from chainmail: 2#1d20+3 8 14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

After talking it over, and some trying to take precautions against the song, you move closer. As you get within sixty feet of a scrawny tree you can clearly see a single harpy in its upper branches, trying to sing to you but with no effect.

• Locked thread