Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Pinball posted:

I have a Nexus 7, and I have what's probably the stupidest question ever asked in this thread, which is: what do I do with it? Whenever I have the urge to read, I have a first gen Kindle that has the advantage of being readable in sunlight. When I'm out in the community, I have my phone, which has a data plan while the Nexus doesn't. When I want to watch Netflix or write, I use my netbook. My parents gave me the Nexus as a gift, and I want to use it, but I can't think of anything it does that another device doesn't also do better.

I use mine when I'm travelling but don't feel like taking my laptop since it's a huge 15.6" thing with only 2 hours of battery.

Yeah, I could get a bigger battery, but I need a new laptop anyway. Maybe a Chromebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just use my to couch browse while I'm watching TV and to chat with friends. It's usually never more than an arm's length away when I'm at home.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I just use my to couch browse while I'm watching TV and to chat with friends. It's usually never more than an arm's length away when I'm at home.
This, and also on train/plane journeys for games and media. I also have the 4G version which helps when out and about.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Pinball posted:

I have a Nexus 7, and I have what's probably the stupidest question ever asked in this thread, which is: what do I do with it? Whenever I have the urge to read, I have a first gen Kindle that has the advantage of being readable in sunlight. When I'm out in the community, I have my phone, which has a data plan while the Nexus doesn't. When I want to watch Netflix or write, I use my netbook. My parents gave me the Nexus as a gift, and I want to use it, but I can't think of anything it does that another device doesn't also do better.

Get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and start using it instead of your netbook. I use it to browse the internet while sitting on my couch. I used to use a netbook but the nexus 7 is more powerful. The only thing it can't do is have multiple windows on screen at once, which was pretty useless on a netbook as well. Well, that and right click. So I browse the internet, read SA, check facebook. You could play games if you want, I guess. If I'm too lazy to get up to check my desktop, I can use teamviewer. I can secure shell into my netbook/DLNA server as well as into my router. It can be like a laptop when I want (with the advantage of putting the keyboard wherever I want). Or I can just use it as a tablet.

I felt the same way as you before I got it and my first couple weeks with it. I thought netbook and desktop were all I needed, what's the point of anything else. Then I realized how awkward using a netbook is sometimes. I started using my tablet more and more which was easier because it has such a long battery life. When I used to visit my parents, I'd leave my netbook up in my room plugged in because I'd be lucky if I got more than a few hours out of it. I can go all day with my Nexus 7 without a sweat.

It's replaced my netbook and I think in a few years tablets could possibly take over mobile computing entirely.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Had anyone got a Note 12.2? I'm curious how they perform.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Pinball posted:

You can tether to your phone easily enough (Bluetooth is relatively easy on battery) and it almost certainly has a far better display than your netbook (seriously I can't imagine watching video on a netbook display)

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Pinball posted:

I feel the same way, especially about smaller tablets. A 5 inch phone does the same job for casual couch browsing, JuiceSSH works great, I can beam anything I want to Chromecast. Same for commuting.

If I need to work seriously, I want to type on a real keyboard, so I grab a laptop or use my desktop.

The only uses I found for my iPad 9.7" where it was significantly better than my phone were:

Watching youtube videos in bed.
Reading comics.
Watching films on long plane rides.

So I sold it. An android tablet would be the same, but there's even less tablet specific software.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Eh, how useful a Nexus 7 is kind of comes down to what other stuff you have. Having huge phone and a small laptop kind of cuts into its area of use from both sides. Personally, I'll probably end up getting a smaller phone in the future as I feel even my S3 is needlessly large when I have the N7 as well.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I get a lot of use out of my Nexus 7 (it's fantastic for my bus commute), but I don't own any sort of a laptop and my phone is a $30 throwaway idiotphone.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

It's replaced my netbook and I think in a few years tablets could possibly take over mobile computing entirely.
This is my experience as well. I'm using an over two year old Transformer Prime tablet and despite feeling 'laggy' compared to my phone I still find use for it in browsing SA, Reddit, or Facebook and it's my favorite device to watch movies.

I'm looking to replace it this year with a new tablet, most likely something with LTE so we can use it on car trips to watch netflix, etc.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
The only thing I still use my Nexus 7 (2012) for is reading comics. My Nexus 5 is obviously way faster for browsing or any other apps. I guess if I upgraded to the newer Nexus 7 I might use it more. But even reading kindle/google books, I almost prefer the Nexus 5 size.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I've found an LTE Nexus 7 to be handy at times. It's pretty cool as a "big gps", and the battery lasts longer as an AP than a phone or MiFi (also MiFis are all around terrible, "you had one job ...").

Otherwise, yeah. The display is too narrow to read letter-size PDFs, which is something the iPad Mini + GoodReader does perfectly. It's basically a slightly-better Gmail, Hangouts, Maps, etc., device than my phone at the cost of being too large to use exclusively.

Squeeze
Jul 23, 2012
I bought this case for my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4" off of Etsy (search for WeirdOldSnail if you're interested) and it's absolutely perfect for what I wanted. He even custom made it for me because the Tab Pro is a bit longer than the iPad Mini that the case was designed for. I didn't want to use a case on it so this is the best solution. I can carry my tablet, my Jot Pro, a regular pen and some business cards with me and don't have to carry a big bag like I previously did.

It took 3 weeks to arrive from Israel (I'm in Finland) so he sent me a free case for my mobile. Fits my Lumia 920 like a glove.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm about to pull the trigger and finally get a nexus 7 2013 32gb (wifi only) and have a few questions about it before giving my TF201 to my wife:

-Does it charge with any phone charger/powerbank? My TF201 needs its original cable+charger and it gets annoying that I can't charge it on my car or anywhere without carrying the original stuff.

-Looking to buy it on Amazon(.es) instead of google (229€ vs 269€) and I hope Amazon's customer support is good :ohdear:. Should i get a flip-cover case and go without screen protector or get a decent tpu gel + screen protector?

Sorry in advance because of the spanish store links but I can't get a poetic case:
Igadgitz S-line TPU-Gel+screen protector
or
Igadgitz Tyre case+creen protector
or
IVSO flip cover (samsung style)
or
Igadgitz flip cover with screen protector

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Guillermus posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger and finally get a nexus 7 2013 32gb (wifi only) and have a few questions about it before giving my TF201 to my wife:

-Does it charge with any phone charger/powerbank? My TF201 needs its original cable+charger and it gets annoying that I can't charge it on my car or anywhere without carrying the original stuff.

The included charger outputs something like 1.25A, not much more than a current phone charger. The cable included is rather short, so using one that's significantly longer may impact charging. On the other hand, I use the little oval Nokia Qi charger to charge mine, and that only outputs 750mA via lossy wireless. I'd hazard a guess that a phone charger would do the job, if a little more slowly than the official one.

I use a cheap TPU case on mine, and like it. I don't take mine outside the house very often though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Guillermus posted:

The TF201 has a funny proprietary ASUS connector I think. The Nexus 7 charges with a good old regular Micro-usb connector.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

sirbeefalot posted:

The included charger outputs something like 1.25A, not much more than a current phone charger. The cable included is rather short, so using one that's significantly longer may impact charging. On the other hand, I use the little oval Nokia Qi charger to charge mine, and that only outputs 750mA via lossy wireless. I'd hazard a guess that a phone charger would do the job, if a little more slowly than the official one.

I use a cheap TPU case on mine, and like it. I don't take mine outside the house very often though.

I travel on train every week and my TF201 while having enough battery is unwieldy and it lags like crazy compared to my Galaxy S4. I mostly use my tablet while on the train and for couch surfing, posting in SA with awful app is starting to become a pain because my TF201 lags quite a bit lately.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The TF201 has a funny proprietary ASUS connector I think. The Nexus 7 charges with a good old regular Micro-usb connector.

Yeah I know, what is retarded is that I can't connect my Asus USB cable to more powerful charger or powerbank so I can't charge it on the move.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014
I just got a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and this thing is amazing. I would recommend it for anyone who is in the market for an android tab.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Ugh, the nexus 7 changing bug is starting to kill me. Sometimes when I plug it in, it either doesn't charge or charges at such a slow rate that using it at the same time will actually drain the battery. It really loving sucks.

:google: suggest that it started happening to people after some updates, and it happens to both 2012 and 2013 models. Thanks Google!

My old Nexus 7 2012 model started to have this issue suddenly. And it wasn't due to an update. The problem is the internal connection to the USB port. On the 2012 model the USB connector is on a separate little board connected to the main board via a ribbon cable. Re-seating this ribbon cable fixes charging issues most of the time. It is not difficult to do, there are a few youtube videos showing the process.

My 2013 model had something similar happen; all the sensors stopped working and the touchscreen went a little wonky. The large ribbon cable connecting the "top" board (where all the sensors are located) and "bottom" board had actually worked its way out of the connector. Re-seating it fixed the issue. Later revisions of the 2013 model have a piece of tape over the ribbon cable connectors apparently to prevent this from occurring.

Also, the 2013 model supports Qi wireless charging.. If you have a 2013 model, get a Qi pad and switch to wireless charging, no more USB cable to plug in. :D

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Pinball posted:

You sell it because you have no use for extra stupid gadgetry?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
For UK goons Argos is selling the 2012 Nexus 7 for £129, I got excited before I realised it was the old one.

KoB
May 1, 2009

stevewm posted:

My old Nexus 7 2012 model started to have this issue suddenly. And it wasn't due to an update. The problem is the internal connection to the USB port. On the 2012 model the USB connector is on a separate little board connected to the main board via a ribbon cable. Re-seating this ribbon cable fixes charging issues most of the time. It is not difficult to do, there are a few youtube videos showing the process.

My 2013 model had something similar happen; all the sensors stopped working and the touchscreen went a little wonky. The large ribbon cable connecting the "top" board (where all the sensors are located) and "bottom" board had actually worked its way out of the connector. Re-seating it fixed the issue. Later revisions of the 2013 model have a piece of tape over the ribbon cable connectors apparently to prevent this from occurring.

Also, the 2013 model supports Qi wireless charging.. If you have a 2013 model, get a Qi pad and switch to wireless charging, no more USB cable to plug in. :D

Im having the same charging issue as him (2013). It loving sucks. I wish I didnt have to spend money on wireless charging just to make it work as intended.

KoB fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 2, 2014

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
If you can find it, the official N7 2012 cradle with the side connector charging pins has been the best $29 I've overspent to make my tablet more useful. Its now always fully charged as before I never developed the muscle-memory to plug it in.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Jliznel posted:

I just got a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and this thing is amazing. I would recommend it for anyone who is in the market for an android tab.

It is amazing but Samsung are not. They have denied me OTA updates because I've tripped Knox by rooting it so first and last Samsung product :byewhore:

So be careful of that.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Welp, Nexus 7 on its way with a TPU gel case. I guess I can join the case-chat soon :v:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So I'm taking an unexpected trip up to New Hampshire next weekend. I'll be staying in a cabin on an island in the middle of a lake and there will be no wifi. Further, the only TV in the place is a old tube TV with composite connections only. Is there any way anyone know of that I can connect the Nexus 7 2013 to the TV? If there is I'm thinking I'll download some movies from Play onto it before I head up so we've got poo poo to watch on the days we don't feel like boating to the mainland.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Daimo posted:

It is amazing but Samsung are not. They have denied me OTA updates because I've tripped Knox by rooting it so first and last Samsung product :byewhore:

So be careful of that.

That's a hilarious way to get back at you, now that you can just flash the updates yourself.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Require More Fire posted:

So I'm taking an unexpected trip up to New Hampshire next weekend. I'll be staying in a cabin on an island in the middle of a lake and there will be no wifi. Further, the only TV in the place is a old tube TV with composite connections only. Is there any way anyone know of that I can connect the Nexus 7 2013 to the TV? If there is I'm thinking I'll download some movies from Play onto it before I head up so we've got poo poo to watch on the days we don't feel like boating to the mainland.

I don't know of any but what phone do you have? Some smartphones will put out composite video with a plug that goes int he headphone slot, and if you can dig out an old iPod or other portable media player most of them will do it too.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just Googled "HDMI to Composite" and the first result was this adapter:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008MHY1VC

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That's a hilarious way to get back at you, now that you can just flash the updates yourself.

You can't flash what hasn't been released :(

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Daimo posted:

You can't flash what hasn't been released :(

Try https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1/ and choose your device.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Nintendo Kid posted:

I don't know of any but what phone do you have? Some smartphones will put out composite video with a plug that goes int he headphone slot, and if you can dig out an old iPod or other portable media player most of them will do it too.

My phone is a Razr HD so yeah, it does have a mini-HDMI out on it...

Tunga posted:

I just Googled "HDMI to Composite" and the first result was this adapter:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008MHY1VC

...and so I guess this could work. Thanks.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I just got a Nexus 7 (2013 / WiFi) and decided to check out the Android tablet thread.

I see the OP talks about stuff like the Nook eReader and HP TouchPad... I sold my Nook Color and HP TouchPad a few months back, so I'm more than familiar with those.

Was anyone working on a new thread? poo poo tablets with CM7/Gingerbread on them is quite a different league compared to modern tablets that are running 4.1+.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Congratulations, you own the good Android tablet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you're reading a technology thread and you see the last update to the OP was two years ago, you probably shouldn't be reading the OP.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Tunga posted:

Congratulations, you own the good Android tablet.

The good one?

Surely there are other good ones, as well?

I got tired of things not working right on the Nook Color. It was slow, and depending on the "community" to fix things just left me pissed off. Same thing with the HP TouchPad. It had some power, but it was held back by the terrible software and glacier's pace level of development. webOS is dead, and relying on "[ROM] [NIGHTLY] [KitKat] [4.4] CyanogenMod 11.0 nightlies [3.0 kernel]" on XDA to make the tablet able to run stuff was just silly.

My Nexus 7 is running the "factory" 4.4.3 image, and everything just works.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Thanks for trying but as I said, the firmware for the SM-T320 isn't released yet.

I don't know if that's normal for a four month old Samsung device, or if they've started being dicks though?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

The good one?

Not really, no.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

Daimo posted:

So be careful of that.

I didn't try to root it but thanks for letting me know i will not even try now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Xenomorph posted:

The good one?

Not really, no. The Nexus 7 is by far the best Android tablet. And the best value too.