Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nobody appreciated my suggestion of having a microphone hooked up to the PA system for the players to talk trash on, would instantly improve the sport 200%

Suspend it from the wire cam

This would be the best addition to sports in some time.

MourningView posted:

Because it is totally harmless but the retaliation isn't? If you want to retaliate play better and taunt them back.

Well yeah but the league isn't at that point yet. I was taught from a young age that if some WR talks trash to you you shut them up with a hit. That's just me as a five foot nothing white boy who never sniffed college ranks, imagine what actual high class athletes were told to do on defense by their coaches who wanted to win a state title.

Also retaliation is just one aspect, sportsmanship is the other. I personally detest WRs that jump into the endzone like that, especially a guy like Tate who isn't nearly on the skill level of other WRs around the league who don't taunt like that. It's just my opinion that trash talkers are the lowest form of athletes and I never encouraged any of the little dudes I coached to talk trash. I'm sure there are many policy makers in the league who feel the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I don't like athletes to talk trash because they're physically superior to me, and also rich.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

In happier news, the Giants cut safety Will Hill for being suspended 6 games this season.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kalli posted:

In happier news, the Giants cut safety Will Hill for being suspended 6 games this season.

loving morons. Both Will Hill and the Giants.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Doltos posted:

loving morons. Both Will Hill and the Giants.

They can't rely on him if he keeps getting suspended. He's the problem here.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

davecrazy posted:

John Mara is the problem here, gently caress that guy

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

davecrazy posted:

Well of course he's the problem, he's the one that smoked. I'm just saying cutting a top tier safety when he's only gone for six games is stupid. If he smokes again and gets suspended for a year, then you cut him. Until then he was a guy on UDFA money that was a massive boost to the defense.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nobody appreciated my suggestion of having a microphone hooked up to the PA system for the players to talk trash on, would instantly improve the sport 200%

Suspend it from the wire cam

After any big play they should just drop a mic down and let the player go all WWE Promo on the field for like 20 seconds.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

This would be the best addition to sports in some time.

Well yeah but the league isn't at that point yet. I was taught from a young age that if some WR talks trash to you you shut them up with a hit. That's just me as a five foot nothing white boy who never sniffed college ranks, imagine what actual high class athletes were told to do on defense by their coaches who wanted to win a state title.

Also retaliation is just one aspect, sportsmanship is the other. I personally detest WRs that jump into the endzone like that, especially a guy like Tate who isn't nearly on the skill level of other WRs around the league who don't taunt like that. It's just my opinion that trash talkers are the lowest form of athletes and I never encouraged any of the little dudes I coached to talk trash. I'm sure there are many policy makers in the league who feel the same way.

Trash talkers are the lowest form of athletes? What are higher forms of athletes? How do you rank these forms of athletes? Richard Sherman is a top corner but he's also a top trash talker, is he the lowest form of athlete still? Why do you think it is ok to try and injure someone who says things like "Call the fire department because your secondary just got burned."?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

My dodgeball team went 1-19 over the course of two seasons and the one game we won I was such a prick to the other guys that some of them wouldn't shake my hand at the end of the game. It was sweet.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chichevache posted:

Trash talkers are the lowest form of athletes? What are higher forms of athletes? How do you rank these forms of athletes? Richard Sherman is a top corner but he's also a top trash talker, is he the lowest form of athlete still? Why do you think it is ok to try and injure someone who says things like "Call the fire department because your secondary just got burned."?

Chich I'm going to give you a pass because you're Chich, plus I should have explained better.

First, I never said that headhunting was okay, in fact I said it wasn't okay and that stopping taunting probably was done with retaliation assholes in mind. I had to go out of my way to say that. It was in pretty much every post.

In regards to the lowest form of athlete thing; I love when guys like Larry Bird and Jordan talk trash, because they were actually the top athletes when they played. I hate it when guys like Tate talk trash because Tate is an underwhelming WR who probably isn't even on the list of top 30 WRs yet he talks trash like he's Jordan. I see him jawing after every play and doing stupid ball flips whenever he gets a first down. Guys who talk trash and only occasionally back it up infuriate me. Again this is just my opinion.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

It isn't okay, but it happens. These guys have fragile ego's and play a violent, full-contact sport; retaliation will happen.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Why cut Hill now? He doesn't count against the roster while he's suspended. Just to send a message?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Chilichimp posted:

It isn't okay, but it happens. These guys have fragile ego's and play a violent, full-contact sport; retaliation will happen.

We should ban scoring to prevent defenses from accidentally hurting people during a tackle then. :psyduck:

I'm really not buying this argument that taunting rules are in place for the defense of the taunter. Maybe that's how you rationalize being boring and lame, but I'd really like to see some evidence that the league ever considered that when they ruled that fun is impermissible.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

We should ban scoring to prevent defenses from accidentally hurting people during a tackle then. :psyduck:

I'm really not buying this argument that taunting rules are in place for the defense of the taunter. Maybe that's how you rationalize being boring and lame, but I'd really like to see some evidence that the league ever considered that when they ruled that fun is impermissible.

Enter the sportmanship angle that Daltos introduced... which you quoted, so I'm not going to bother repeating it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chilichimp posted:

Enter the sportmanship angle that Daltos introduced... which you quoted, so I'm not going to bother repeating it.

"It's Chich, man" is the best thing for us to tell ourselves before we hit reply.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

It's Chichetown

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Chilichimp posted:

Much like you, I don't feel like bothering with sportsmanship either because I've discussed it in the past and it is a load of horseshit that is different from person to person and vaguely boils down to "stuff I do or do not like but can't quite explain or justify why".

sweet thursday posted:

It's Chichetown

You don't look like you're from around here, boy. :ese:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
huh. goons don't know what qualifies as acting like a loving dickhead. im shocke

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Prancing into the end zone dramatically detracts from the spirit of the game because of ____________.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chichevache posted:

Much like you, I don't feel like bothering with sportsmanship either because I've discussed it in the past and it is a load of horseshit that is different from person to person and vaguely boils down to "stuff I do or do not like but can't quite explain or justify why".

Wait so then what are you arguing about then?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Rap did you stroke out at the end there

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

Wait so then what are you arguing about then?

I was just asking you some questions because I was curious what on earth you meant.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Probably Magic posted:

Prancing into the end zone dramatically detracts from the spirit of the game because of ____________.

Prancing or high-stepping into the endzone is pretty harmless and shouldn't be/hasn't been banned? Please tell me you can still do this in the NFL.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ZenVulgarity posted:

Rap did you stroke out at the end there

Well you see if you low effort with spelling and grammar in your posting then people believe you're a cool and funny Something Awfuler.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Chilichimp posted:

Prancing or high-stepping into the endzone is pretty harmless and shouldn't be/hasn't been banned? Please tell me you can still do this in the NFL.

:aaa: What did you think taunting was?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chichevache posted:

i.e.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Jumping into the air and flying the last 5 yards like superman or turning around and leaping backwards while holding your dick and laughing your rear end off as you roll over and stand into the Heisman pose. Not all taunting is bad, not all retaliation is bad, not all holding gets called, not all hits are "clean". Taunting, like football itself, is a game of inches.

The last time we bitched about this topic, I said celebrating was generally cool in my opinion. But I also agree with Daltos that being an over-celebratory show-boat will get your rear end pancaked by the likes of Bernard Pollard or James Harrison.

edit:

I feel the need to clarify that when Beastmode jumped backwards while holding his dick into the endzone was a proper celebration for the occasion. Also Beastmode doesn't care about retaliation. Come at him, bro.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Doltos posted:

Well you see if you low effort with spelling and grammar in your posting then people believe you're a cool and funny Something Awfuler.

ur mad

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bad Moon posted:

Sometimes it's ok to leap in too

He saluted mid-air. A true hero, and deserving of a ring

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Sweeney Tom posted:

He saluted mid-air. A true hero, and deserving of a ring

Pretty sure he was leisure-diving.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Rap posted:

ur mad

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Doltos posted:

what a loving lame thing to say

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Taunting should be allowed in every sport. It's a just drat game, go ahead and make someone feel bad for being bad.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I'll compromise and say that getting into someone's face or something like that should get flagged, because anyone's involuntary reaction to that is going to be to attack, and the league doesn't need that. Or trash talking that goes too far.

Celebrating your own achievements by Superman-ing into the endzone is basically what sells NFL DVDs, but the NFL seemed to forget that.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2011/1/19/1943956/the-happy-football-life-of-will-hill

Good bye sweet prince

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

rec'd +1

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I'd take a flier on him if I were the Bears. I mean, his only issue is pot and dumb, right?

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
I'm so turnt up over the idea of some loving THUG quarterback wearing a backwards hat like he's about to go galavanting around with undesirables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Volkerball that is a shameful avatar after the high point of Peyton Hitler.

• Locked thread